Windows 2003 Sever and shared folder access

JackTheKnife

Limp Gawd
I have Windows 2003 Server (AD, file sharing) and I try to install OfficeMate software (MS Access database based software). So I installed OM software then I did folder share as they described here http://www.officemate.net/omkb/attachments/Sharing Folders-GUIDe1490aa8978d4255b616ed15e16cf462.pdf Then I went to the workstation and install OM on it (as admin) then switched to regular user. After this software gives me error about folder/path access. Support tech told me that I don't have full read-write access to the specified folder but I did what they described. I went back to the server and added user by his login to that folder with full access - no luck. I check if that user has read-write access to the folder from the Windows Explorer - I can create/delete file. Everything is fine (OM can run) when I will give to that user admin settings on that workstation.

Any ide what can be done wrong? Thanks

Are you sure your users permissions are not being over rode buy their parent/ group permissions.

Permissions of the share that the Access database is hosted in are most likely defaulted at read only. Must set to full for the user group that will use it. Depending upon where the folder is directory wise on the server, may have to un inherit permissions.

Folder is not located on the system drive. I set full access permission to:

- users
- domain users
- user/domain (I mean by login name)
even
- domain power users

with no luck :mad:

OM support all the time telling me about wrong permission settings but when I ask them what can be wrong when is not working what they give as a part of the installation guide they always have one answer - they are not network certified to resolve problem :rolleyes: They even do not know what are differences between User and Power User or AD User.

Folder is not located on the system drive. I set full access permission to:

- users
- domain users
- user/domain (I mean by login name)
even
- domain power users

with no luck :mad:

OM support all the time telling me about wrong permission settings but when I ask them what can be wrong when is not working what they give as a part of the installation guide they always have one answer - they are not network certified to resolve problem :rolleyes: They even do not know what are differences between User and Power User or AD User.

All i can say is from experience with 2k3 i have had it not share folders properly with permissions set correctly and nothing ever worked. But sometimes i could create a new folder and set the same permissions from the one that just didnt work and now they work fine on the new folder. So as far as that i have no more info for ya sorry.

Make the OM software use domain admin level permissions. If it still cant access the share then it's not a permissions issue.

Back