Windows 2003 server & terminal server licensing

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Rambler, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Rambler

Rambler Limp Gawd

Hi guys,
    i have few questions regarding licensing of Windows 2003 Server and Terminal Server.
    First off, i read most of the documents on this topic on microsoft's web and few others, but i still don't understand some aspects as the licensing model is pretty confusing (as is well known).

We plan to use TS for 5 users. So according to what i've found out, i need 1xW2k3 Server SW, 5x W2k3 CALs and 5x W2k3 TS CALs.
    So far so good, but here come the questions:
    1) If we decide to use the per server licensing model for W2k3 it limits number of concurrent connections to the server. What is the difference to the Per User model in this scenario? I mean i will be able to connect only those 5 times to the server under both these models, right?

2) Anyone knows how does MS define a connection? Taken from MS's CAL FAQ -
    . Does this mean that if let's say there's POP3/SMTP software on that server installed and it requires user authentication then we will need as many CALs as the number of concurrent accesses to this mail server?

3) Regarding the Per User model - when using it, does it mean that i could have these 5 Per User CALs and connect to the server like 50 times under same user? At least that's how i understand that from those docs, but it doesn't seem realistic considering how greedy MS is and all those licensing programs.

Thanks in advance for any help with this

PS: Sorry if i sound confusing, but that's exactly what i am :)

2. hulksterjoe

hulksterjoe older and wiser now

Per server keeps the licenses in a POOL, and assigns them based on the number of connections
    Per User mean the are linked to a specfic userand yes that one person can log in from any number of devices

If the email program requires authentication then yes there will be one required for each login

How many users are there, for example if you have the server and 10 people in the office and then 5 remotes using terminal services then you'd need
    1) the server license
    2) 15 cals user/device cals + 5TS cals

I know you didnt ask but some people also get confused with the user or device cal

A User cal allows 1 person to log in from multiple devices ,, great for a person with a laptop, pda, dekstop, etc.. 1 cal gives them access from all of them

A device cal is perfect for a factory or such.. using the 3 shift example .. 3 people using the same machine 1 on each shift, its cheaper to license the machine to allow unlimtied users then to give them each a user cal

3. Rambler

Rambler Limp Gawd

Thanks for your reply.

I know that per user allows you to connect from any number of devices, but what i meant to ask is whether this allows you to connect multiple times concurrently under one account - ie. connecting as user called "joe" from let's say 5 PCs at the same time.

4. hulksterjoe

hulksterjoe older and wiser now

it does for me, I'm logged in from my pda and my desktop currently.