Windows 2003 R2 WINS question

Mackintire

2[H]4U
Is there any way to get a multihomed WINS system with (2) IP addresses in the same subnet to work?

The netbios name shows up as Conflict when I type nbtstat -n on the Server

From the clients I can not ping the hostname of the WINS machine.

I think I have all of your stumped.

OK here goes a second follow-up question.

What if I placed the second Nic (still in the same subnet) in a different VLAN.

Specifically a VLAN for DMZ? Would WINS then still work?

Is there any way to get a multihomed WINS system with (2) IP addresses in the same subnet to work?

The netbios name shows up as Conflict when I type nbtstat -n on the Server

From the clients I can not ping the hostname of the WINS machine.

Unbind server and workstation services from one of the NICs.

I can't think of too many reasons to have a multi homed rig on the same subnet....I've done it once or twice...only for VPN server reasons....had a second NIC answering RRAS for VPN...wanted to offload the VPN traffic from the primary NIC. So I unbound file and print sharing services from that NIC.

What is the purpose of you having multiple NICs on the same network?

Unbind server and workstation services from one of the NICs.

I can't think of too many reasons to have a multi homed rig on the same subnet....I've done it once or twice...only for VPN server reasons....had a second NIC answering RRAS for VPN...wanted to offload the VPN traffic from the primary NIC. So I unbound file and print sharing services from that NIC.

What is the purpose of you having multiple NICs on the same network?

One IP is in the DMZ, the other is used for LAN services. The IP tagged to the DMZ has a firewall tagged to it, the other does not.

I did unbind file and print sharing services, but that did not seem to make a difference.

I am now thinking I have (two) choices left to try....neither of which I can do now.

After we upgrade to using Dell power connect 28xx Place the one nic/port/IP in a different Vlan

or

Put the DMZ facing IP in a different subnet and program the router to static route to it directly. (This may be easier....but the primary router is a bit of a bastard child, its a Hotbrick 800/2 VPN, similar to the syswan SW24 VPN as in almost a carbon copy...only Hotbrick went out of business.

How about just turning off WINS on the nic on the DMZ? Anything incoming from the outside will have to use the IP address instead of a name.

Its a violation of Microsoft best practice to have two NICs bound to Microsoft client/server (Client for Microsoft Networks, file/Print Services for Microsoft Networks) services attached to the same subnet...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175767

So... Nope, if those services are bound to multiple NICs on the same subnet, WINS will always have a conflict. Those services can only be bound to one interface per subnet.

Its a violation of Microsoft best practice to have two NICs bound to Microsoft client/server (Client for Microsoft Networks, file/Print Services for Microsoft Networks) services attached to the same subnet...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175767

So... Nope, if those services are bound to multiple NICs on the same subnet, WINS will always have a conflict. Those services can only be bound to one interface per subnet.

Which is why placing the nic that is in the DMZ in a different subnet may be the only viable solution. :rolleyes:

Back