Windows 2003 Domain Roaming Profiles

Hey all,

Im learning my way around Server 2003. and have curretnly got it running smoothly. My next challenge was to look into the profiles for the users that are currently still on the work group netwwork.

The current setup is fine as people only tend to use one PC/Laptop. However as has recently happened, one laptop has developed a fault and i had to manualy backup all files and settings.

While this isnt a big problem, i have been told Roaming Profiles could help this as the profiles would move to a new machine along with the user.

When i started looking into this it seemed fairly straight foward, and currently has proved no major hassle, I have created a shared "Profiles" folder with permissions set, and profiles now copy over. My biggest problem however is that the profiles are very large in size because of all the files in the My docs folders etc. so logons take a long time and on some cases fail.

So how do you handel user profiles? especially on laptops that will not always be used on the network?

Would greatly appreciate some advice
Thanks

Back