Windows 2000 Server to 2003 Server Upgrade w/ Exchange

The Cobra

2[H]4U
I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask this, but I will take a shot. When I started my new job last year as a teacher, I also took over the IT department. The former guy who ran it was an Idiot (He is no longer employed for that reason) For whatever reason, he thought it would be a good idea to put Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 box running as a GC/DC. We also have another box that is running Windows 2000 (GC/DC). About 6 months ago, I upgraded Exchange2000 to Exchange 2003., this upgrade went pretty seemlessly. Now however, I face a dilemma. I have no idea how to go abotu doing this.

Microsoft has been no help, I have searched far and wide for a solution, but to no aval....

So now I am asking here: What is the correct process for upgrading a windows 2K domain to a 2K3 domain?

Our Layout:

Machine #1: HP/Compaq Server, Windows 2000 SP4 AD(DC/GC), Duel 2.4GHz Xeon, 2GB of Ram, blah blah

Machine #2: HP/Compaq Server, Windows 2000 SP4 AD (GC/DC), Exchange 2003 w/ SP2

Other machines are running Windows 2003 (Member Servers) and OS X Server (10.4)

Is there a specific method to this? Or can I just do a str8 upgrade to both boxes?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Anthony

Actually, I always find it a good thing to have two GC servers, so that if one goes down, people can still login. The only time it causes load problems is when there are scads of directory objects. As for an upgrade, I hate them, but they do occasionally work. 2003 is actually quite good at upgrading, Microsoft wanted to make this product accessible for everyone who was still running NT4, so the migration tools are much better than in 2k.

Worse comes to worse, make sure you have triple backups, a full weekend, pop the cd in and go.

The general process will go:

- Get a another box.
- Install 2003 on this box.
- Run forestprep and domainprep.
- Promote this box to a DC/GC.
- Transfer the master roles.
- Upgrade/Reformat the old boxes.

If you can work it out, try to stay with a clean installs. The nice thing about having a spare/additional machine is that you can move services around so that nothing is ever "down". Also, it gives you a back out plan. If when you move a service nothing is working, just move it back to the original machine.

There is a guide from MS out there some where that explains their recommended upgrade procedure.

Back