Windows 2000 Server Problem

KevinO

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a win2k server here at my work that seems to quit allowing client connections to it. The only way to solve it is to reboot the server. The server is on SP4 with all the latest patches. The weird thing is that when the problem occurs, I can still ping it and I can use Radmin to remote into it to shut it down. The only thing that seems to be failing is client connections.

There are no errors in the event log. The memory is very under utilized. I haven't watch page faults, etc yet. This server strictly does file sharing. I do have some other apps on it, but I know they aren't the cause because I have another 2K server at another facility that is doing the same thing and it doesn't have any extra applications installed.

I have tried re-applying SP4 and all the latest patches, defragged, disabled unneccessary services, etc to find the root of the problem, but I can't seem to find it. It seems more like a memory leak because it happens overtime, but like I said the memory doesn't show it.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks Again.

What is the error (if any) that the clients get when they try and connect to the network shares?

Thanks for the response. I don't know what the exact error is, but I do have more information. Machines that are already mapped continue to stay connected, but any machines that have been rebooted or not logged in cannot map the drives (through login script or manually). Basically, the server won't let any new connections. I will try to get the exact error if there is one.

See if you can get the event log for the client machine as well, might be some helpful information in there.

Also try connecting to the share using an IP address instead of the server name...

example.. //192.168.1.2/data

Back