Windows 2000 Server - keeps dropping connections

sorny

Gawd
I'm working on a 2000 Server setup for a friend. Litlte 3 workstation setup (2 Win2000 Pro, 1 XP Pro). They have a share mapped from the 2000 Server and have an icon on the desktop. Works great, it's a little old DOS program. For the last few weeks they claim every morning they come in and when they click on the icon it says the share has been disconnected. Go into network neighborhood and you see the server (Server1) but when you double click you get one of the oddball messages like "Server cannot perform specified task". Reboot the server and it works!

So I check the event log, its showing a lot of MxSub messages. I'll get them and post them if anyone needs them. But the main thing I noticed was that the server wasn't setup for a domain, but setup for a workgroup. It's part of the workgroup. I really don't see the need of Windows 2000 Server if they're just sharing a 10 year old DOS program, but whatever. I'm wondering if they're having problems because it's not setup with a domain and as a PDC. I setup the DNS server on that server and had it point to itself and had the other computers point to it, but I'm wanting to see if theres any reason why I shouldn't set it up as a DOMAIN and as a PDC instead of a workgroup. I don't know who set this up originally. They said it worked for a year or so just fine until a week or two ago. Supposedly the only change was that they had installed Terminal Services a couple of months ago for a future project.

Any ideas? :confused:

Running as a workgroup would be fine since they are so small. Make sure the server has all the latest patches/etc. The advantages of AD don't really make sense in such a small network.

So there should not be a problem with having a server running Windows 2000 Server and NOT having it setup as a PDC on a domain? I've never run NT, 2000, or anything "Server" setup as a Workgroup and not a Domain.

sorny said:
So there should not be a problem with having a server running Windows 2000 Server and NOT having it setup as a PDC on a domain? I've never run NT, 2000, or anything "Server" setup as a Workgroup and not a Domain.

There shouldn't be, but frankly, they've got 2000 server, why NOT setup a domain? Not like its going to cost them anything extra.

Posting the messages would probably help in diagnosing the problems.

I didn't see why having a Domain would hurt anything, but wasn't sure. I've never seen 2000 Server ran as a workgroup instead of a domain. I need to get the messages next time, but the PC is at an office about 20 minutes away and I haven't been back yet. I let it do the updates and it found 46 I believe. I don't think there was anything big like a service pack, but it had 46 critical updates anyways. I also called this morning and for the first time in a week it actually worked the next morning. I'm still very skeptical though.

Are the servers, PCs and network on a UPS?

I ask because a minor power interruption that disrupts network connectivity can cause the disconnected drives issue to happen.

SJConsultant said:
Are the servers, PCs and network on a UPS?

I ask because a minor power interruption that disrupts network connectivity can cause the disconnected drives issue to happen.

She WAS telling me that they have power surges multiple times a day so I asked her that and now I'm thinking that we got on another topic before I got an answer. I remember her saying at least one of the workstations and I would think the server would be, but I'm going to ask that when I talk to her next. There's just one single hub in the entire place and it's right next to the server, so if the server is on a UPS then I'll make sure she hooks it up too. That would explain these problems.

Back