Windows 11 reveal coming June 24th

One thing I noticed when installing the latest Dev build is that it now points out when you do not meet the system requirements. I'm almost certain that wasn't there in the last Dev build. This might be nothing all, just like how it specifies that it's an "Evaluation copy" due to being a Dev build. It still activated fine and so far I have not found any OS functions that are disabled or restricted. Still somewhat interesting...

SysReqNM.jpg

It still activated fine and so far I have not found any OS functions that are disabled or restricted. Still somewhat interesting...
Right clicking on the "start" button crashes explorer with latest -1325 build on my setup ... hmmm

The latest dev build causes the explorer to crash when using the right click menu.

Not sure that has anything to do with the question I asked.

It would be useful to know if this is a general issue with that build, or potentially related to bypassing the system requirments. Considering that this build appears to go further out of it's way to point out if you don't meet the requirments than past builds do, I think it would be useful to know if that is related somehow.

Not sure that has anything to do with the question I asked.

It would be useful to know if this is a general issue with that build, or potentially related to bypassing the system requirments. Considering that this build appears to go further out of it's way to point out if you don't meet the requirments than past builds do, I think it would be useful to know if that is related somehow.

He did not ask a question, he straight up said that there is a bug in the dev build of Windows 11 that causes the explorer desktop to crash when using the right click menu.

Windows 11's new security feature is so secure you'll need to reinstall the OS to use it

Smart App Control is designed by default to prevent you from running malicious apps downloaded from the web, according to Microsoft...since the app is woven into the OS (hence the required reset), it keeps track of things on a process level, using a combo of code-signing by the app maker and an "AI model for application trust" to determine if the software is safe...any app Windows 11 considers shady will be blocked from opening

The price for this extra layer of security is going to be a clean reinstall of Windows 11...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/629...-feature-will-force-you-to-reset-your-pc.html

Windows 11's new security feature is so secure you'll need to reinstall the OS to use it

Smart App Control is designed by default to prevent you from running malicious apps downloaded from the web, according to Microsoft...since the app is woven into the OS (hence the required reset), it keeps track of things on a process level, using a combo of code-signing by the app maker and an "AI model for application trust" to determine if the software is safe...any app Windows 11 considers shady will be blocked from opening

The price for this extra layer of security is going to be a clean reinstall of Windows 11...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/629...-feature-will-force-you-to-reset-your-pc.html

I just hope this doesn't become a massive nag or a big ass red "X" in defender that harasses you to enable it. Resetting your PC isn't the hassle it once was, but I have no desire to do it.

I'm not sure that I would even want this feature. Microsoft has already shown a willingness to use Windows Defender to block programs that are not malicious in any way but simply programs that Microsoft doesn't like (such as "utility" programs for Office). I'm not sure that I would want to grant them even more control in this respect. But some people genuinely do need their hands held. People who click on links in spam emails, and who would gladly download a virus/malware unless they are strictly prevented from doing so. The same kind of people who like Chromebooks basically. For them, not being free to do whatever they want with their PC is not a limitation, it's a feature. I doubt that it would be very useful for most of us here.

ive had it since the previous insider, no warnings or anything. just ignore it.
1649270464616.png
1649270684753.png

Ah, no thanks, I just finished reinstalling all my games and programs, no way I will go through that again.

So how dumb do you have to be to use Smart App?
Doesn't the name sort of imply the opposite? Only ______ (fill in blank) people wouldn't use the Smart App.

From the company that brought you WinCE.

I've had to turn defender off because for some reason it was taking up more than 1gig of memory after using my laptop for a few days. This is on W10 btw.

I'm surprised Microsoft lets you turn Defender off.

I think the only reason they do is because 3rd party antivirus and antimalware packages still exist. Most of those don't play nice with Defender. It wouldn't shock me if they made you have it turned on (at least for retail installs) if you don't have one of those installed.

This is nice because on my shitty HDR 400 monitor with no local dimming - lasers and shit look HDR but obviously no local dimming, as much as the monitor tries, the rest of the stuff is blasting light in my face - and it's way worse for autoHDR titles

But even on my HDR TV with local dimming, this effect is still present (just less offensive due to actual local dimming) but still noticeable I saw for autoHDR titles specifically

The Windows 11 "Patch Tuesday" update that rolled out yesterday is causing issues with .NET for some folks. If you end up installing it and programs start bombing/not working, you may have to re-enable .NET under Programs & Features. At first I thought it was just me, but it's apparently pretty widespread.

The Windows 11 "Patch Tuesday" update that rolled out yesterday is causing issues with .NET for some folks. If you end up installing it and programs start bombing/not working, you may have to re-enable .NET under Programs & Features. At first I thought it was just me, but it's apparently pretty widespread.
thnx!
there were new .net updates yesterday for 10 too, i guess keep this in mind for that as well.

The current build in the Beta Channel (22621) is the RTM release for the mid-year update. You can snag an ISO straight from Microsoft if you want to install it now.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-confirms-windows-11-version-22h2-rtm-is-build-22621/

EDIT: I installed it via an ISO and I'm a fan! Start Menu folders have been possible (via folder shortcuts), but this is way more elegant. The extra row of icons and additional graphical tidbits are nice, too. Things look smoother and more responsive. The Start Menu, especially. Plus, I can drag files onto my browser (that I have pinned to the taskbar) again. So far so good! The only thing I don't like is that my right click on the start button to control panel shortcut no longer works. I'd used a hacky way to restore that function and it seems to be busted now. Still, they added 3-4 things to that menu that I DO like, so I can deal. Plus, I'm sure someone will figure out a way to add it again.

Last edited:
The current build in the Beta Channel (22621) is the RTM release for the mid-year update. You can snag an ISO straight from Microsoft if you want to install it now.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-confirms-windows-11-version-22h2-rtm-is-build-22621/

EDIT: I installed it via an ISO and I'm a fan! Start Menu folders have been possible (via folder shortcuts), but this is way more elegant. The extra row of icons and additional graphical tidbits are nice, too. Things look smoother and more responsive. The Start Menu, especially. Plus, I can drag files onto my browser (that I have pinned to the taskbar) again. So far so good! The only thing I don't like is that my right click on the start button to control panel shortcut no longer works. I'd used a hacky way to restore that function and it seems to be busted now. Still, they added 3-4 things to that menu that I DO like, so I can deal. Plus, I'm sure someone will figure out a way to add it again.

pretty early to already have the RTM release (October/November release)

pretty early to already have the RTM release (October/November release)

Agreed, it does feel really early. Although that's the "wide" release, which might mean that some folks start getting it earlier. The other insider channels have moved on in a major way (they're on version 25+), so that's probably part of it. It doesn't mean there won't be updates to this version prior to release, too. There was one Windows 10 biannual release that got 3 major updates in 6 weeks after the RTM version. Still, I like to think Microsoft might finally have their shit together with Windows 11. It's only been 4-5 hours, but this is the version of the OS I wanted. The piss poor Android support is literally my only gripe right now.

After running it over the long weekend, I'm definitely happy with this update. That said, I have run into a couple quirks with the new File Explorer. After logging back in to my PC (after it locks due to inactivity), sometimes those weird checkboxes show up in Windows Explorer. There's no obvious way to get rid of them, either. The option to see checkboxes isn't selected and toggling it does nothing. Oddly, toggling from Landscape to Portrait mode fixes the issue. I guess it's related to Windows thinking you're on a touch screen as I've discovered in some forum posts. Sometimes the ribbon in File Explorer totally disappears, too. Simply closing it and restarting it fixes that. Sometimes thumbnails take forever to load (even on a quick NVMe drive), too. Logging off/on fixes that. All are minor, although the checkbox thing is problematic if you don't know the fix. Nothing else seems to work no matter how many times you reboot or what else you do.

After running it over the long weekend, I'm definitely happy with this update. That said, I have run into a couple quirks with the new File Explorer. After logging back in to my PC (after it locks due to inactivity), sometimes those weird checkboxes show up in Windows Explorer. There's no obvious way to get rid of them, either. The option to see checkboxes isn't selected and toggling it does nothing. Oddly, toggling from Landscape to Portrait mode fixes the issue. I guess it's related to Windows thinking you're on a touch screen as I've discovered in some forum posts. Sometimes the ribbon in File Explorer totally disappears, too. Simply closing it and restarting it fixes that. Sometimes thumbnails take forever to load (even on a quick NVMe drive), too. Logging off/on fixes that. All are minor, although the checkbox thing is problematic if you don't know the fix. Nothing else seems to work no matter how many times you reboot or what else you do.
having those same quirks, as well as the spacing between items, had to turn that off too. it accesses my cellphone 5-6x faster now though, which is nice when im trying to grab pics off it.

https://www.neowin.net/news/people-...re-are-being-offered-windows-11-22h2-upgrade/

Not only is 22H2 now in the release preview channel...it's actually being offered (accidentally?) to people with unsupported hardware.
https://twitter.com/jenmsft/status/1534401569575292930?s=21&t=sz4H8Raph5z1JqBEJvxOaw

We are investigating an issue for Insiders where the banner for Windows 11, version 22H2 is showing for PCs not eligible and working to fix. Choosing to install will result in an error.

Wow, the journalistic integrity of some of these sites is horrible.

Neowin said:
This means that unsupported devices will not be offered security updates, like that of Patch Tuesday next week, but you still have ten days to roll back your unsupported system; if you don't roll back within that period you will be forced to clean install Windows 10, thus starting out from scratch.

lol? Security updates have NEVER been withheld on Windows 11 systems that do not meet the requirements. The one and ONLY time that the requirements come into play is during the installation process. Once Windows 11 is installed, even when using a bypass on "unsupported hardware", the system will receive security updates like normal after that.

Wow, the journalistic integrity of some of these sites is horrible.

lol? Security updates have NEVER been withheld on Windows 11 systems that do not meet the requirements. The one and ONLY time that the requirements come into play is during the installation process. Once Windows 11 is installed, even when using a bypass on "unsupported hardware", the system will receive security updates like normal after that.
Yep. It's either cluelessness or purposeful sensationalism to drive up clicks.

Back