Windows 11 reveal coming June 24th

I haven't found any general theme for windows 11??
I did an upgrade to windows 11 and what would be good to install right away for windows 11 from the driver and everything else? As far as I can see the win 11 drivers for the amd chipset are the same size as for windows 10, is it all the same or is there some difference? And for gpu, everything looks the same to me ... My PC is working for now with these previous win 10 drivers what I downloaded before the upgrade, cheers
How will the new drivers come out i will download for windows 11...
the drivers are the same. if they were up to date before the upgrade, they are still up to date. if not, go to amd.com and get the new chipset and vid drivers.

Oh, I was under the impression that Boot camp was not supported for many years. At least it was not openly offered anymore. I always found it to be a pain in the ass more than anything, parallels desktop runs windows good enough.
I installed 10 on Mac a couple weeks ago using Boot Camp and the installation was flawless.

is Windows 11 available through retail (Newegg, Amazon etc)?...or do you still need to purchase Windows 10 and do an upgrade?

is Windows 11 available through retail (Newegg, Amazon etc)?...or do you still need to purchase Windows 10 and do an upgrade?
yes. did you even look? its ~$140 for pro on usb. or use any 7/8/10 key during setup....

Totally agree. I just took the offered upgrade to Win11 on my 12700k box which originally had Win10 pro running with a key from ScdKeys and no issues to report. All my programs including steam and a few games I have installed were fired up and ran fine.
Just get a cheap windows 10 key from the various grey key sites.

I thought that by now MS would have ramped up the release of Windows 11 retail copies...doesn't seem to be the case

I thought that by now MS would have ramped up the release of Windows 11 retail copies...doesn't seem to be the case

Not surprising since they've disqualified a huge chunk of PC's. They're probably concerned about the backlash that will happen when people return it for a refund after they learn they can't install it on what they have.

Not going to lie, I had to do a re-install the other day so I said screw it and made a new USB with Windows 11, and I'm loving it. It feels very much like a re-skinned Windows 10 obviously, but I've been happy with pretty much all of the updated parts.

My #1 favorite thing out of all of it is the new UAC alert sound, I had previously muted that on 10 because its such a horrible noise, now it feels like something I'd hear before a message plays over the intercom riding the train in Japan. I enjoy the new UI arrangements, feels very logical and nicely laid out to me. Haven't seen any performance issues on Ryzen while gaming, tbh this might be my favorite Windows release since 7.

The first really big update for Win 11 is coming sometime in February. That'll be when Android app support finally rolls out along with drag/drop taskbar support and the new Media Player + Notepad apps.
If Android app support is all it's cracked up to be, I can imagine a lot of people abandoning the few worthwhile UWP apps. I know I'll have basically zero need for weather/mail/calendar/etc. along with all of their streaming apps. Assuming nothing breaks, that's also when I'll finally feel comfortable actually recommending Windows 11 to more people.

The new widget bar being on the far left feels weird. Sometimes it won't go away, too. It shows up if you hover over it (no click needed), but about 1/2 the time it just stays there.
The new larger Start Menu (that adds another row that "Recommended" was taking up) doesn't seem to be in this release. I still need to play with Android apps, but so far I'm unimpressed.

so far I'm unimpressed.
Folks, I think we have the new Windows 11 tag line!

windows_11_with_tagline.png

^ LOL, I endorse this message :)

The Amazon App Store...man is it sparse. I was expecting the same Amazon store that they have for Firestick/FireTV. It's nothing like that. It's almost entirely cut-rate mobile games and a couple eReader apps. I'll have to tinker with those methods for sideloading from the Google Play store.

Folks, I think we have the new Windows 11 tag line!

View attachment 444864
Ha! I'm just glad Microsoft seems to have broken the every-other-Windows-release-is-crappy cycle, even if Windows 11 is more of a so-so update than a must-have like 7 or 10. Yes, that's partly because 11 is such a conservative update, but it beats Steve Ballmer's knee-jerk "we must answer whatever Apple's doing" approach that led to Vista and 8.

I thought the February update was going to be a major one?...doesn't sound like it...or is the big update coming out in late 2022?

I thought the February update was going to be a major one?...doesn't sound like it...or is the big update coming out in late 2022?
The various tech news sites made this out to be more than it is. "Android software support" ended up being limited to gimped Amazon store with no selection. "Taskbar fixes" ended up being limited to microphone muting and file sharing. The new Notepad and Media Player are universal apps that are totally separate from the update. The Start menu was left untouched in spite of some of the updates dev builds have received. It's more than most monthly updates get, but it's not that big of an update.

If it doesn't force a weather thingy into the taskbar, I'm not using it. Thankfully, it still forces Teams. They obviously have more "good" work to do on it. Maybe if it had some sort of "assistant"? You know something could out guess what you're trying to do.... that sort of thing. Very greatful for getting rid of old hardware compatibility as new hardware is cheap and easy to find right now. /s

The various tech news sites made this out to be more than it is. "Android software support" ended up being limited to gimped Amazon store with no selection. "Taskbar fixes" ended up being limited to microphone muting and file sharing. The new Notepad and Media Player are universal apps that are totally separate from the update. The Start menu was left untouched in spite of some of the updates dev builds have received. It's more than most monthly updates get, but it's not that big of an update.

are you using Windows 11 on your main system?...any issues with games (recent and older ones)?...is it still better to stick with Windows 10?

are you using Windows 11 on your main system?...any issues with games (recent and older ones)?...is it still better to stick with Windows 10?
I use Win11 on all 3 of my PC's (mine,wife's,daughter;s) at home .. and I don't see a difference in day to day tasks, including gaming

I mainly play Hunt:Showdown .. my daughter does Oculus 2 stuff airlinked to her PC, plus plays Destiny 2, Fortnite, Minecraft and some others .. My wife just watches Hulu with 400 tabs open in various browsers (chrom,edge,brave) .. we all run dual monitors and all are AMD Ryzen 5000 series setups.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm on 11 and have been for a while. Performance was identical on my system. I ran a few benchmarks back when it first came out, and the differences were negligible. 10 had an extra FPS or two in some games and 11 had another FPS or two in some others.

Personally, I like the rounded corners and the look of the icons and such. I also like having a keyboard shortcut (Win+Alt+B) for toggling HDR instantly.
I don't like the new Start menu all that much thanks to the giant pointless "recommended" section taking up 40% of it. Not being able to drag and drop files onto taskbar apps (like Chrome) is also lame. I'm probably one of the 2-3 people that also liked Live Tiles for things like weather, email, calendar, and whatnot, too. I'd call it a wash for the most part. It looks nice and has a few neat features, but it's functionally not as robust as 10.

Last edited:
have an updated set of chipset drivers on hand if you run AM4 .. lost my network adapters after this update until I reinstalled my chipset drivers ..maybe just a fluke

Good to know. I'm sticking to the main releases since this is my daily driver machine for both gaming and work. I know that's still no guarantee of stability, but I can't really mess around with frequent updates and OS changes. My hope is that the Dev changes will be finalized and rolled out to everyone sooner than later. Personally, I still want the ability to kill off "recommended" more than all of those other things combined. HDR calibration and game optimizations for older titles ARE really cool, though.

Good to know. I'm sticking to the main releases since this is my daily driver machine for both gaming and work. I know that's still no guarantee of stability, but I can't really mess around with frequent updates and OS changes. My hope is that the Dev changes will be finalized and rolled out to everyone sooner than later. Personally, I still want the ability to kill off "recommended" more than all of those other things combined. HDR calibration and game optimizations for older titles ARE really cool, though.
i do reg insider, not dev and zero issues what werent amd drivers issues(they broke my hdr movies).

has Windows 11 KB5008353 been officially released yet (outside of the Insider channel)?...that's the main thing preventing me from trying Windows 11 as I hear it can really slow down your SSD/NVMe write performance

has Windows 11 KB5008353 been officially released yet (outside of the Insider channel)?...that's the main thing preventing me from trying Windows 11 as I hear it can really slow down your SSD/NVMe write performance
supposed to have been released
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb5008353
https://www.aomeitech.com/windows-tips/windows-11-build-22000-469.html "Windows 11 KB5008353 is now available for download as an optional update patch on devices outside of the Insider program."

The only feature that would make me upgrade to W11 would be the built in support for android apps. But its not released with the current versions of window 11 as yet I believe.

The only feature that would make me upgrade to W11 would be the built in support for android apps. But its not released with the current versions of window 11 as yet I believe.

The current public version supports Android apps via an abbreviated Amazon store. Trick is, that Amazon store suuuuucks. It's nothing but shovelware mobile games right now. You can sideload apps from elsewhere, but apparently it doesn't work well with anything that requires a login.
LTT did a video on it yesterday:
I wouldn't recommend Win11 for Android support until they full-on support the Google Play store.

normally I don't buy into all the hate for a new Windows OS release but Windows 11 is definitely a step back compared to Windows 10...outside of the under the hood changes which will make things like DirectStorage run better it's a sidegrade at best...I'll be keeping Windows 10 as my main OS until DirectStorage games start coming out and I see some benchmark numbers...maybe the late 2022 W11 feature update will make it more worthwhile but as it is now stick to Windows 10 (the only exception being if you have one of those new Alder Lake CPU's)

I feel sorry all the folks with slightly older hardware where it's going to be royal pain to migrate to Windows 11. Landfill ftw! (actually, give your old computers to your Linux friends, please!)

normally I don't buy into all the hate for a new Windows OS release but Windows 11 is definitely a step back compared to Windows 10...outside of the under the hood changes which will make things like DirectStorage run better it's a sidegrade at best...I'll be keeping Windows 10 as my main OS until DirectStorage games start coming out and I see some benchmark numbers...maybe the late 2022 W11 feature update will make it more worthwhile but as it is now stick to Windows 10 (the only exception being if you have one of those new Alder Lake CPU's)

Yeah pretty much the same for me, not switching until directstorage becomes a feature that most games use. I just switched to 10 honestly at the end of last year so nbd. Also hope they update the gamepass app for W10, no excuse not to really.

If you're happy with Windows 10 and are indifferent to Windows 11's aesthetic, I wouldn't bother until the Android app situation is sorted out. Other than HDR support, Android apps were supposed to be Windows 11's difference maker. Based on how the current implementation works, they still should be. We just need MS to open things up to the Google Play store. Until they do, Windows 11 is for folks who like the new aesthetic and/or people who use HDR a lot.

I feel sorry all the folks with slightly older hardware where it's going to be royal pain to migrate to Windows 11. Landfill ftw! (actually, give your old computers to your Linux friends, please!)

Only about 5% of the computers I have Windows 11 on actually meet the requirements. It's trivial to bypass the requirements, for anyone who cares enough to try. Hardware support is a non-issue for older hardware as drivers going all the way back to Vista (64-bit) work just fine in most cases. I have it running on computers using Core2Quad, Athlon64 x2, even Pentium D (Dual-Core Pentium 4) CPUs.

Only about 5% of the computers I have Windows 11 on actually meet the requirements. It's trivial to bypass the requirements, for anyone who cares enough to try. Hardware support is a non-issue for older hardware as drivers going all the way back to Vista (64-bit) work just fine in most cases. I have it running on computers using Core2Quad, Athlon64 x2, even Pentium D (Dual-Core Pentium 4) CPUs.
Define trivial in this case. How do you bypass the TPM (hosts without either version) requirement officially?

Define trivial in this case. How do you bypass the TPM (hosts without either version) requirement officially?

In most cases, all you have to do is delete the "appraiserres.dll" file in the Sources folder of the Windows 11 install files. Then try to install.

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, you can simply copy the "Install.wim" or "install.esd" (it will have one or the other) from the Sources folder of the Windows 11 install files, and drop it into the equivalent Sources folder from Windows 10 install files (delete the "Install.wim" or "install.esd" that was already there), and it will literally install Windows 11 using the Windows 10 installer.

Between those two methods, I've had a 100% success rate.

Back