Windows 11 reveal coming June 24th

Microsoft doesn't have any plans to sell retail copies of Windows 11?...Newegg, Amazon etc don't have any W11 retail copies available

I'm sure that they will, but it's not a huge issue for now as Windows 10 and Windows 11 keys are essentially interchangeable at this point. In any context where you would buy a copy of Windows 11, you can just buy Windows 10 and install 11 using that key.

For what it's worth, I think Neowin's review is a pretty fair assessment of the OS thus far:
https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-11-review-aesthetics-over-functionality/

I see the OS fixing most people's gripes eventually, but it's annoying that they're launching an OS that feels so rushed.
Windows 10 only just turned a corner for most people in the last 2-3 years. I hope Windows 11 doesn't take several years to be better than its predecessor.

Tried installing 11 on a laptop I have. Has TPM 2.0 but not a supported CPU. Did receive updates (but no Windows Update, not sure if one is available yet)

Of course it defaults to Home install, so there was no prompt to create a local account. Disabled Wi-Fi, so it just says to connect to Ethernet to proceed. There is supposed to be an Alt+F4 trick to close that Window. Doesn't work. Ended up creating ei.cfg in sources to that it would let me choose the non-Home version I had on here. After install, it automatically activated 11 without having to install a key, so it seems it does automatically update if the device had 10 activated on it already.

One thing I notice right away is that the taskbar icons overflow no longer has the option to 'show all icons'. You have to update them one at a time. Anyone know a workaround?

I also notice quite a few chipset drivers not installed after launch. That may have been because I was not connected to the Internet and I know Windows installs that stuff on first boot. I had to manually install from Windows Update alternate drivers since the latest Intel chipset inf did not include them. I think I might reinstall again just to try again with Internet enabled this time to see if it grabs them all.

Last edited:
I just installed Windows 11 but I am kinda regretting already. Why on earth Windows made grouping of taskbar icons mandatory!? 🤦‍♂️ And not being able to see the names? It makes switching between open windows more pain in the ass in situations when I do not want to or cannot use Alt-tab.

Last edited:
AMD reports that Windows 11 may be causing a performance dip of up to 15% on Ryzen CPUs

one of the issues is the measured and functional L3 latency can nearly triple, which lowers the performance of certain applications that rely on memory and cache latency, such as games...the other problem lies with AMD's "preferred core" feature not working as advertised...Preferred Core assigns apps to the fastest core on the chip. This, too, may cause noticeable performance dips with chips that are 65W and higher...

A fix is in the works and coming later this month...

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

I just installed Windows 11 but I am kinda regretting already. Why on earth Windows made grouping of taskbar icons mandatory!? 🤦‍♂️ And not being able to see the names? It makes switching between open windows more pain in the ass in situations when I do not want to or cannot use Alt-tab.
Ew, I haven't done enough to notice that yet. That's a no go for me. Good thing it's only on a test system.

AMD reports that Windows 11 may be causing a performance dip of up to 15% on Ryzen CPUs

one of the issues is the measured and functional L3 latency can nearly triple, which lowers the performance of certain applications that rely on memory and cache latency, such as games...the other problem lies with AMD's "preferred core" feature not working as advertised...Preferred Core assigns apps to the fastest core on the chip. This, too, may cause noticeable performance dips with chips that are 65W and higher...

A fix is in the works and coming later this month...

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400
its old and just being reported on in the "news" they have been working on it and a fix will come this month.

Tried installing 11 on a laptop I have. Has TPM 2.0 but not a supported CPU. Did receive updates (but no Windows Update, not sure if one is available yet)

Of course it defaults to Home install, so there was no prompt to create a local account. Disabled Wi-Fi, so it just says to connect to Ethernet to proceed. There is supposed to be an Alt+F4 trick to close that Window. Doesn't work. Ended up creating ei.cfg in sources to that it would let me choose the non-Home version I had on here. After install, it automatically activated 11 without having to install a key, so it seems it does automatically update if the device had 10 activated on it already.

One thing I notice right away is that the taskbar icons overflow no longer has the option to 'show all icons'. You have to update them one at a time. Anyone know a workaround?

I also notice quite a few chipset drivers not installed after launch. That may have been because I was not connected to the Internet and I know Windows installs that stuff on first boot. I had to manually install from Windows Update alternate drivers since the latest Intel chipset inf did not include them. I think I might reinstall again just to try again with Internet enabled this time to see if it grabs them all.
Just a reply to my own post. I reinstalled 11 on the 'unsupported' system, this time leaving the Internet connected during first boot. It did install a few more things than last time, but there were still some obvious chipset components not installed that 10 doesn't miss. Running setupchipset.exe /overall does not fix it. Have to manually install via Windows Update optional menu. Even running a driver update through Device Manager doesn't work.

Seems Windows 11 has a separate driver repository for Device Manager (also used for first boot driver install) and what's available on Windows Update. This optional repository must be were the unsupported device drivers have been removed from.

I just started installing Win 11 and only as it's installing thought to check if a problem thread like this was here lol 🙃🔫

I have a 5950x, wonder if I'll see an impact on my encode times before that fix is out, curious to find out either way

Edit: I don't

Last edited:
I upgraded using the installation assistant @ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 -- Was going to put that in the thread about upgrading, but they appear to have closed that thread.

Stuff that's gone that I liked:
  • Can't un-combine items in my task bar. I just love having to click to expand then group and then search a group of open items to find the window I need.
  • Can't drag files to file explorer in the task bar. This was handy if you were moving files around and an explorer window was behind something.
  • Can't create quick links on the task bar?
  • Sound speaker settings gone from systray menu. Need to navigate to the old mmsys.cpl sound control panel to change speaker configuration because their new sound controls don't seem to correctly support that functionality.
They did an Apple: Users are dumb, let's build a cleaner, modern-looking interface that lacks customizability so users can't complain about breaking it.

Yeah the combined task bar is a big irritation - So is not being able to disable the hidden menu or whatever it called where it puts the task icons under the arrow. In 10 and prior you could set it to show all icons. Having Cut/Paste/Copy replaced with icons on the right click menu also sucks.

Oh well it's just on a device I don't use. On my main setup, I probably won't upgrade to 11 until after I switch over to Alder Lake (if I do). If I stay on my current platform I may not switch to 11, not sure yet.

I upgraded using the installation assistant @ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 -- Was going to put that in the thread about upgrading, but they appear to have closed that thread.

Stuff that's gone that I liked:
  • Can't un-combine items in my task bar. I just love having to click to expand then group and then search a group of open items to find the window I need.
  • Can't drag files to file explorer in the task bar. This was handy if you were moving files around and an explorer window was behind something.
  • Can't create quick links on the task bar?
  • Sound speaker settings gone from systray menu. Need to navigate to the old mmsys.cpl sound control panel to change speaker configuration because their new sound controls don't seem to correctly support that functionality.
They did an Apple: Users are dumb, let's build a cleaner, modern-looking interface that lacks customizability so users can't complain about breaking it.
Except the Apple UI is very easy to use and simple. Microsoft has been messing with the UI for years and with each revision, hiding previously easily available settings behind abstraction layers. And the new W11 desktop is a total linux ripoff. A mixture of XFCE and Gnome desktop.

As much as the taskbar and right click menu changes irk me, I have to admit that AutoHDR is fantastic. I am playing through Mafia 3, which does not have a native HDR support, and it looks amazing. It may not look good out of the box but turn on AutoHDR, go into the game and adjust the in-game brightness/ingame slider until it looks good. Ignore the test image, it does not work in HDR. Keep adjusting until the midtones do not look washed out but also that the dark areas are not too crushed out. The result looks almost like the game had a native HDR support. I am impressed!

This is just one game though, I've got to test the others too.

Today was the first big Windows 11 update since Windows 11 went live. All of my systems updated from 22000.194 to 22000.258 without issue this morning, including all of the systems that do not meet the Windows 11 requirements. This is the first Windows 11 version that wasn't also part of the beta prior to release.

Just in case anyone was still wondering if Microsoft was going to be withholding updates from people with unsupported systems.

AMD.png

Reactions: Tobit
like this
So, I have decided to reinstall Windows 10. As magical as the AutoHDR is the other changes kept on bugging me and what finally broke the camels back was that Oculus runs very, very poorly in Windows 11. It is not related to hardware, no matter how low I drop my settings I keep on having low framerate in VR. I am not alone with this issue either. Until this is fixed, Windows 11 is a no go.

So, I have decided to reinstall Windows 10. As magical as the AutoHDR is the other changes kept on bugging me and what finally broke the camels back was that Oculus runs very, very poorly in Windows 11. It is not related to hardware, no matter how low I drop my settings I keep on having low framerate in VR. I am not alone with this issue either. Until this is fixed, Windows 11 is a no go.
Don't you feel that your soul is tarnished when you put a facebook product on your face?

Don't you feel that your soul is tarnished when you put a facebook product on your face?

I am a lost cause beyond redemption. On a more serious note, until someone else comes up with a VR headset with better image quality and just as good inside out tracking as Oculus, I am stuck with the brand. I do not want lighthouses in my room if I can avoid it.

Eight hours later, I have Win11 installed.
  • WTF happened to my right click menu? I gotta click twice to do common tasks now?
  • AAAH, THE WHITE! MY RETINAS! (Why isn't dark mode an option during install time?)
  • Muscle memory has me move the mouse to the lower-left corner. That's gotta get retrained.
  • Screenshots? Completely borked. Snipping tool doesn't work, Win+Shift+S doesn't work...
  • Print screen and numpad no longer functional on my keyboard.
  • New Explorer UI is a MASSIVE waste of screen space. Thank god 4k monitors are common.
  • Why do certain applications need to be unpinned from the taskbar via Settings and others you can just right-click->Unpin?
  • Changing the default browser to Chrome is slightly more annoying.
  • It don't like Boot Camp none.
    • It likes it even less when you have multiple hard drives installed. On a 2019 Mac Pro, you must have NO additional drives installed.
    • No, an "upgrade" from Win10 doesn't work - It complains about TPM even with the registry hacks.
    • The old "install to a VM, copy over" trick doesn't work anymore.
    • You really DO need to create a Win10 install stick, delete install.esd, compress a Win11 install.wim into a new install.esd, and copy it over.
    • You should also copy over the WindowsSupport directory from your old Win10 install stick to your Win11 one - BootCamp drivers need to be present during the install process, and you'll need them again after Windows is installed because NO drivers are added by default. No bluetooth, no network, not even Intel chipset stuffs.

Now for a list of positives...

• It hasn't crashed yet.
  • It accepted my Win7 Pro key as valid.

Eight hours later, I have Win11 installed.
  • WTF happened to my right click menu? I gotta click twice to do common tasks now?
  • AAAH, THE WHITE! MY RETINAS! (Why isn't dark mode an option during install time?)
  • Muscle memory has me move the mouse to the lower-left corner. That's gotta get retrained.
  • Screenshots? Completely borked. Snipping tool doesn't work, Win+Shift+S doesn't work...
  • Print screen and numpad no longer functional on my keyboard.
  • New Explorer UI is a MASSIVE waste of screen space. Thank god 4k monitors are common.
  • Why do certain applications need to be unpinned from the taskbar via Settings and others you can just right-click->Unpin?
  • Changing the default browser to Chrome is slightly more annoying.
  • It don't like Boot Camp none.
    • It likes it even less when you have multiple hard drives installed. On a 2019 Mac Pro, you must have NO additional drives installed.
    • No, an "upgrade" from Win10 doesn't work - It complains about TPM even with the registry hacks.
    • The old "install to a VM, copy over" trick doesn't work anymore.
    • You really DO need to create a Win10 install stick, delete install.esd, compress a Win11 install.wim into a new install.esd, and copy it over.
    • You should also copy over the WindowsSupport directory from your old Win10 install stick to your Win11 one - BootCamp drivers need to be present during the install process, and you'll need them again after Windows is installed because NO drivers are added by default. No bluetooth, no network, not even Intel chipset stuffs.

Now for a list of positives...

• It hasn't crashed yet.
  • It accepted my Win7 Pro key as valid.
8 hours?

most users only use the cut/copy/paste functions so they made those icons and added "more options". yeah, its kinda annoying.
lol cant remember fresh install, been a while.
you can move the start button back to the left in settings.
1635913068500.png
working for me, use it all the time. might need to google for fixes.
drivers? everything on my basic, no drivers logitech multimedia kb works.
my dpi defaulted to something massive, might need to turn that down to get explorer normal.
like what? windows app vs 3rd party?
yup, quite annoying to change defaults now.
havent used boot camp but i was able to dual boot win11/mojave on an older trash can, no bootcamp needed, it used windows boot loader. only issue was you had to shutdown to switch oses rather than just reboot as that would hang it for some reason.

i havent* had a crash since the official release or following betas. been rock solid.
yup, 7/8/10 all still work just fine. sweet deal.
*edited have into havent.

Last edited:
Eight hours? Dang.. on a stripped down VM I was installed in under 35min.

My update was as smooth as a normal Windows 10 update. Had no issues doing an inline update. All my settings transferred over. Played a few different types of games and they all seem to run better. Generally really pleased with this Windows.

You installed to a VM and he didn't. It's not apples to apples.
Fair enough, but installing on VMs always seem to take longer than a new virgin hard drive. (at least for me)

Last edited:
Eight hours? Dang.. on a stripped down VM I was installed in under 35min.
It's entirely due to Boot Camp. No Apple machine is technically compatible with Win11, so some workarounds have to be had. Figuring out what is needed took the vast majority of the time. It wasn't until I removed my NVMe drive that I started having success with the install.

It's entirely due to Boot Camp. No Apple machine is technically compatible with Win11, so some workarounds have to be had. Figuring out what is needed took the vast majority of the time. It wasn't until I removed my NVMe drive that I started having success with the install.
Ah, my apologizes. I didn't see it was on Bootcamp.

You must have a pretty old mac if it still supports bootcamp...

You must have a pretty old mac if it still supports bootcamp...
The Intel Macs have always supported it, and MacOS Monterey, which launched last week, still comes with the Boot Camp Assistant.

I'm actually surprised it was so difficult to get Win11 installed since Win11 even internally reports itself as Windows 10, so MacOS shouldn't care.

The Intel Macs have always supported it, and MacOS Monterey, which launched last week, still comes with the Boot Camp Assistant.

I'm actually surprised it was so difficult to get Win11 installed since Win11 even internally reports itself as Windows 10, so MacOS shouldn't care.
Oh, I was under the impression that Boot camp was not supported for many years. At least it was not openly offered anymore. I always found it to be a pain in the ass more than anything, parallels desktop runs windows good enough.

I haven't found any general theme for windows 11??
I did an upgrade to windows 11 and what would be good to install right away for windows 11 from the driver and everything else? As far as I can see the win 11 drivers for the amd chipset are the same size as for windows 10, is it all the same or is there some difference? And for gpu, everything looks the same to me ... My PC is working for now with these previous win 10 drivers what I downloaded before the upgrade, cheers
How will the new drivers come out i will download for windows 11...

Back