Windows 11 reveal coming June 24th

I've been running Windows 11 for almost a week now .. it boots faster, feels snappier .. BUTT! ..if you are running dual monitors .. I still haven't found out how to get the taskbar to work on my secondary monitor. I can get it to appear, but I can't pin anything to it. Other than that, 11 has been pretty solid.

I'm sure the taskbar thing will be sorted with official releases

I've been running Windows 11 for almost a week now .. it boots faster, feels snappier .. BUTT! ..if you are running dual monitors .. I still haven't found out how to get the taskbar to work on my secondary monitor. I can get it to appear, but I can't pin anything to it. Other than that, 11 has been pretty solid.

I'm sure the taskbar thing will be sorted with official releases
it really does boot faster, or it seems like it does...no idea how they managed that. And im booting off ssd for now. It appears i really need a M2 nvm drive to make even better use of win11 with directstorage? Im actually happy with win11 even not being able to use startisback yet....so that should tell ya some thing there

it does boot faster. the i5-6500 system i loaded it on is almost 2 second faster to boot than on its win10 install, according to taskman.

It appears i really need a M2 nvm drive to make even better use of win11 with directstorage?

It's still something that game developers have to actually code for in their games. It doesn't increase the performance of anything automatically. That means, best case scenario, there will probably be a slow and incomplete adoption of directstorage over the course of 2-5+ years. Microsoft artificially limiting this to Windows 11 and excluding Windows 10 users is only going to give game developers even less incentive to code for it in their games.

While I am a "Windows" admin in my job, it has now apparent that I will be making the move to Linux at some point on my home workstation. Microsoft is hell bent on making it more difficult to own/control my own computer.

While I am a "Windows" admin in my job, it has now apparent that I will be making the move to Linux at some point on my home workstation. Microsoft is hell bent on making it more difficult to own/control my own computer.

Amen bro.

If this is all it took to spur that change, before the first official beta of Windows 11 is even released, then you were probably already looking for a reason to do it anyway... run whatever OS you want, but get off your high horse.

Latest test rig: A Q6600

TPM? Nope.
SecureBoot? Nope.
Supported Processor? Nope.
UEFI? Nope.
DirectX 12 GPU? Nope.

Windows 11 works fine? Yes
Windows 10/8.1/7/Vista drivers still work fine? Yes

We'll see if this holds true with newer beta releases, but with the amount of over-reaction I am seeing from supposed Windows admins and IT veterans, I wonder if anyone is even trying anymore? Or is this just a getting old and bitter sort of thing?

Q6600_win11.png

If this is all it took to spur that change, before the first official beta of Windows 11 is even released, then you were probably already looking for a reason to do it anyway... run whatever OS you want, but get off your high horse.

TPM? Nope.
SecureBoot? Nope.
UEFI? Nope.
DirectX 12 GPU? Nope.

We'll see if this holds true with newer beta releases, but with the amount of over-reaction I am seeing from supposed Windows admins and IT veterans, I wonder if anyone is even trying anymore? Or is this just a getting old and bitter sort of thing?

View attachment 370073

My concerns are privacy and freedom of choice. Windows fails miserably on both accounts.

Oh I see. the windows preview insiders option. Does it run the games you guys already had installed?

Yes, that's what the TPM requirement is all about. It was engineered years ago in cooperation with Intel on Palladium. They desire a way they can push an update to yuor machine, and essenially lock you out in real time, with no way to recover the system, not even from a firmware level.

TPM? Nope.
SecureBoot? Nope.
UEFI? Nope.
DirectX 12 GPU? Nope.

View attachment 370073

I own no high horses 🤣.. Contrary to what you and others think.. maybe people are allowed to get sick of the direction Microsoft is going with "Windows" and are allowed to make a change. People have the freedom of choice and maybe some people are sick of this garbage / shit that M$ keeps pushing out.

Now go back to drinking your M$ flavored kool-aid :LOL:

This morning I went and set up a brand new Dell laptop for a friend and told her about Windows 11. I was half way thinking MS would push it down the pipeline while I was there but it didn't happen. So when will they start sending it out via Windows Update?

This morning I went and set up a brand new Dell laptop for a friend and told her about Windows 11. I was half way thinking MS would push it down the pipeline while I was there but it didn't happen. So when will they start sending it out via Windows Update?

It's scheduled for release around the holidays supposedly. The first official beta was just released today.

It's scheduled for release around the holidays supposedly. The first official beta was just released today.
According to some sites you won't be able to free update to it until first half of next year. You'll have to buy it before then if you can't wait. Seems ridiculous.

According to some sites you won't be able to free update to it until first half of next year. You'll have to buy it before then if you can't wait. Seems ridiculous.

you won't be able to upgrade via Windows Update until early 2022...but the iso/usb clean install method will be available at launch

Last edited:
If anybody knows how to get the taskbar working on a secondary monitor in 11 .. educate me , please and thank you ..

Until then ....

Anyone know if they've fixed how the GUI looks when HDR is enabled? As of Windows 10, the UI looks washed-out or bland if you leave HDR enabled, so I disable HDR until I play a game that needs it enabled in Windows 10 before launching.

Anyone know if they've fixed how the GUI looks when HDR is enabled? As of Windows 10, the UI looks washed-out or bland if you leave HDR enabled, so I disable HDR until I play a game that needs it enabled in Windows 10 before launching.
I'm hoping they fix this. It's even supposed to enable HDR on HDR displays even if the game doesn't support it.

I'm hoping they fix this. It's even supposed to enable HDR on HDR displays even if the game doesn't support it.
I'm aware of the auto HDR they're adding for games, that sounds nice, I just hope it auto-HDRs the Windows UI!

Yes, that's what the TPM requirement is all about. It was engineered years ago in cooperation with Intel on Palladium. They desire a way they can push an update to yuor machine, and essenially lock you out in real time, with no way to recover the system, not even from a firmware level.
Palladium ???

seems to have gone fine, didnt take too long either, been up and running for 10 min.

new settings menu:

1624930262794.png

make sure to turn off any 3rd party a/v if you have some.... #1 thing ive seen mess up updates.
Noted. I only use Windows Defender and a stand-alone anti-ransomware app to protect my files and external drives that doesn’t interfere with anything. I have it turned off right now before the update just in case though.

well .. at least the setting is there to enable taskbar on other monitors if you are running more than one .. greyed out , but it's there. lol

taskbar11.png

going to give "Game Mode" a whirl and see if it actually does anything positvie ..

yeah everything seems fine, all my settings and customization carried forward too, nothing got reset to defaults.

Reactions: Don_1
like this
Back