Windows 11 reveal coming June 24th

Their media streaming servers kept blue screening during the live stream.
We contacted Microsoft and they asked if we were still using their old legacy Window 10 product, or if we had upgraded to the more reliable Windows 11.

how is the Windows 11 hardware scheduler going to work with AMD CPU's?...it's rumored to have been tuned for Intel's new Alder Lake range of processors
Well, considering I ran the PC Health Check app from Microsoft and it says that a PC running a Ryzen 7 5800x, 64GB of RAM, and a RTX 2070 does not meet the requirements for Windows 11.....

Windows 11 exclusive for Intel processors confirmed. /s

Well, considering I ran the PC Health Check app from Microsoft and it says that a PC running a Ryzen 7 5800x, 64GB of RAM, and a RTX 2070 does not meet the requirements for Windows 11.....

Windows 11 exclusive for Intel processors confirmed. /s
I don't freakin' believe that AMD is going to take this lieing down. Nor the system manufacturers. there is no way the tech press will allow this situation to be unchanged.

I don't freakin' believe that AMD is going to take this lieing down. Nor the system manufacturers. there is no way the tech press will allow this situation to be unchanged.
There is a 0.0% chance that Windows 11 is not compatible with AMD. The tool is probably just not updated for AMD yet as the OS is still in development. During the presentation they bragged about how much hardware Windows supports.

the post above you was just joking...Alder Lake is using a new hybrid architecture which AMD does not support as of yet...older CPU's of either brand will be compatible with Windows 11

How to fix your PC when it says it can't run Windows 11

You can download the Windows 11 Health Check app from the Introducing Windows 11 page, you'll find a link to it at the bottom of the page, and there's a good chance that it'll throw up an error telling you that your PC can't run Windows 11...there's also a very good chance that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your machine, and that there's just a setting in the UEFI/BIOS that needs flicking on...

https://www.pcgamer.com/Windows-11-PC-Health-Check/

I def won't be upgrading day one. Will wait a few months so that the drivers can mature a bit and have some windows updates patched.

Windows as a service will now cost $10 a month or $100 a year.

Oh, it WILL happen, just a question of when. I say the timing is about right. With the scamdemic having such a large effect on remote learning, and the recent "hacks" of infrastructure....Oh it's just ripe for a "secure" OS deployment with very high upkeep requirements. It's almost as if we need a mandated change.
Stock up on tinfoil for Windows 12 maybe? It's coming as an update to Windows 10 free of charge. I guess this dialog will pop up again when the next version or major update comes up again.

Windows 11 Home setup will require you to have a Microsoft account and a working Internet connection handy. "Windows 11 Home edition requires internet connectivity and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use," lists Microsoft as part of the operating system's requirements. In addition, all editions of Windows 11 will require Internet connection to receive updates, and a Microsoft Account for some tasks. "For all Windows 11 editions, internet access is required to perform updates and to download and take advantage of some features. A Microsoft account is required for some features," it adds. The requirement for Internet makes sense as Microsoft will be using Windows Update as the main medium of distributing Windows 11. It will be offered as a free upgrade for existing Windows 10 users.

SOURCE

I had to enable Intel PTT in the UEFI to get the compatibility pass. TPM is enabled also, but I don't have a module installed.

You can download the Windows 11 Health Check app from the Introducing Windows 11 page, you'll find a link to it at the bottom of the page, and there's a good chance that it'll throw up an error telling you that your PC can't run Windows 11...there's also a very good chance that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your machine, and that there's just a setting in the UEFI/BIOS that needs flicking on...

thought so...

everybody calm down now.

I def won't be upgrading day one. Will wait a few months so that the drivers can mature a bit and have some windows updates patched.

Given that it uses the same drivers as Windows 10, and in many cases is still compatible with drivers meant for 8.1, 8, 7, or even Vista, I don't think driver maturity is going to be an issue.

My Ryzen 3600/ Arous Elite B550 / RX 580... ready for win 11 just turn the bios options on lads it will be fine...

win11_ready.png

Usually I am pretty excited about a new OS and new features but it's stuff like this that just makes me not want to upgrade. We will see at some point if I have to give up MSFS and Office 2019 by switching to Linux (or run in a VM).

Usually I am pretty excited about a new OS and new features but it's stuff like this that just makes me not want to upgrade. We will see at some point if I have to give up MSFS and Office 2019 by switching to Linux (or run in a VM).
Its the same as Windows 10. Its been this way for a few versions now. There are ways to bypass it and create a local account, but its more difficult than it used to be.

Its the same as Windows 10. Its been this way for a few versions now. There are ways to bypass it and create a local account, but its more difficult than it used to be.
yup and its only on home edition, who runs that....

Since 11 is not released or finalized, we do not know if there will be a way to bypass it and I think the writing is on the wall - you are the product even if you pay for it. I think I just disagree with the direction Microsoft has been going and would love other viable options.

Since 11 is not released or finalized, we do not know if there will be a way to bypass it and I think the writing is on the wall - you are the product even if you pay for it. I think I just disagree with the direction Microsoft has been going and would love other viable options.
There are other viable options. Android OS & Linux are great alternatives.

Being the product is nothing new for Big Tech, Apps like Facebook, Twitter and so on have always made their money off the end user, Microsoft for decades has been no different.

Being the product is nothing new for Big Tech, Apps like Facebook, Twitter and so on have always made their money off the end user, Microsoft for decades has been no different.
I disagree on viable even though I do like Linux, it's just not ready for my needs - getting there though.

Just because Big Tech has done something for a long time doesn't make it right and that's what I what getting at.

Has Microsoft addressed why they decided to move to 11 when they previously said 10 is the last version?

I disagree on viable even though I do like Linux, it's just not ready for my needs - getting there though.

Just because Big Tech has done something for a long time doesn't make it right and that's what I what getting at.
Eh, I've learned that you have to pick your battles. I know microsoft , google & Apple are shit companies with shit policies, but it is what it is, they control the spice.

Has Microsoft addressed why they decided to move to 11 when they previously said 10 is the last version?
i thought they had said the core of the os was the last one and it would just be refined. nothing about the numbering.

There’s other options that are great. Linux is as good as it’s ever been. I use and love Pop_Os personally and think the new version coming out is the best Linux has ever been on the desktop. Apple is great now too since the new M1 chip is insanely powerful. Apple destroyed the notion that their hardware is overpriced this generation. You can get a brand new m1 Mac mini for $500 that embarrasses computers 4 times as expensive. You do have options, you don’t have to be anyone’s product. With that said though, just using the internet makes you the product. Anything you use on the web is going to track you and your data. There’s even bots looking at this very thread scrubbing data. Even using vpn with other tools meant to block telemetry won’t get you far.

One way or another we all end up paying up the wazoo.

One step ahead of you there, and it's still no likely.

My suspicion is that the problem is caused with my install being on the legacy/CSM BIOS instead of UEFI.

One step ahead of you there, and it's still no likely.

My suspicion is that the problem is caused with my install being on the legacy/CSM BIOS instead of UEFI.
yeah it needs to be in uefi mode. you can convert to uefi in a few minutes using command line off a install usb.
https://www.diskpart.com/windows-10/convert-windows-10-from-legacy-bios-to-uefi-without-data-loss-7201.html#:~:text=Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI,"F10" key to save changes and exit BIOS.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

Last edited:
Yeah, but I think I'll stick with the Microsoft provided MBR2GPT tool instead of using AOEMI, and definitely not performing the switchover until after my monthly backup job is done.

That being said, this switchover is going to be a shitshow, considering who knows how many machines are apparently being shipped without TPM (PTT or fTPM) enabled in the BIOS.

Good luck to Microsoft explaining why 6th Gen Intel chips (IIRC) and first gen Ryzen are not supported.

Yeah, but I think I'll stick with the Microsoft provided MBR2GPT tool instead of using AOEMI, and definitely not performing the switchover until after my monthly backup job is done.

That being said, this switchover is going to be a shitshow, considering who knows how many machines are apparently being shipped without TPM (PTT or fTPM) enabled in the BIOS.

Good luck to Microsoft explaining why 6th Gen Intel chips (IIRC) and first gen Ryzen are not supported.
whoops, that page used to have the command line instructions on it, the mbr2gpt stuff. yeah no need for a tool.
i installed it on a i5-6500 system this morning, working fine...

Back