Windows 11 reveal coming June 24th

In other words, end users are mindless zombies who do as they are told.
Maybe not [H] members, but we are a tiny drop in that big ocean of Windows PC users. I've done "support" with family and friends who are worried that they might "break the computer" if they click on the wrong button or link. Or not follow MS recommendations.

Last edited:
In other words, end users are mindless zombies who do as they are told.
I'm pretty sure you have it all wrong ...

1626698219116.png

Maybe not [H] members, but we are a tiny drop in that big ocean of Windows PC users. I've done "support" with family and friends who are worried that they might "break the computer" if they click on the wrong button or link. Or not follow MS recommendations.
Well, clicking a link might break their windows so that fear is not completely uncalled for.

Heh, blast from the past. I remember tinkering on those with Win7. With Win10 I didn't bother anymore.
i didnt notice much of a difference with 10 either. someone was asking about tweaking 11, i saw this this am so posted it, just dont remember which thread...

Go here https://uupdump.net/ and get the latest iso build with the update. Fresh and clean iso fully updated with .160.

I am having issues setting a wallpaper for 2 monitors. Both my monitors are connected via display port and thunderbolt but when I go to my images in personalization it only lists desktop 1 and desktop 2 when right clicking the wallpaper and not monitor 1 and 2 like it should. Anyone know why?

Go here https://uupdump.net/ and get the latest iso build with the update. Fresh and clean iso fully updated with .160.

I am having issues setting a wallpaper for 2 monitors. Both my monitors are connected via display port and thunderbolt but when I go to my images in personalization it only lists desktop 1 and desktop 2 when right clicking the wallpaper and not monitor 1 and 2 like it should. Anyone know why?
Yeah, grabbing a fan repack of your operating system is a smart idea! /s

Yeah, grabbing a fan repack of your operating system is a smart idea! /s
The UUPdump things are pretty popular and trusted in the circles I know. When I want to test out installation scenarios (particularly with Win11 since it can change anytime) I will get the latest from UUPdump. It's also useful for having a "post-PrintNightmare clean install" Win10.

Microsoft has dropped a strong clue about the Windows 11 release date, with a new tweet subtly suggesting the operating system will arrive on October 20th...the tweet, embedded below, at first looks like an innocuous screenshot of the new Windows 11 desktop...however, when you look at the date and time in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, Microsoft appears to be hinting at the release date

The date is set for October 20, 2021 with a time of 11:11...that’s no coincidence: whoever took the screenshot would have had to manually put the date and time forward to that date, as Windows 11 sets the clock automatically over the internet...

https://twitter.com/Microsoft/status/1429896993560797187/photo/1

Looks like it'll actually be a little earlier - October 5th:
https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-11-will-ship-to-new-and-existing-pcs-on-october-5/

It won't be launching with Android app support. Not a shock considering they've already spun the dev channel off on a later version. Those betas are probably damn close to what you'll see in October and I'm 90% sure that stupid recommended section of the taskbar will still be permanently there, too. Hopefully some 3rd party tools or registry edits will come to the rescue.

will an iso be made available on Day 1 for W10 uses who want to do a clean install?...I haven't tried any of the W11 preview builds so I don't know if I want to wait a few weeks before downloading it...but knowing me I'll want to do it on Day 1

will an iso be made available on Day 1 for W10 uses who want to do a clean install?...I haven't tried any of the W11 preview builds so I don't know if I want to wait a few weeks before downloading it...but knowing me I'll want to do it on Day 1
i would assume theyll release the update tool like 10.

Nvidia Game Ready Driver 471.96 Released, the Last One Supporting Kepler GPU's and the First to Support Windows 11

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/august-31-2021-game-ready-driver/

Well, I'm happy that the 3x GTX680s in my backup computer will get at least one official Windows 11 driver. Although it does sound like they are leaving the door open for future drivers, potentially up to 3 years from now, even if they differ from the main driver.

Effective October 2021, Game Ready Driver upgrades, including performance enhancements, new features, and bug fixes, will be available for systems utilizing Maxwell, Pascal, Turing, and Ampere-series GPUs. Critical security updates will be available on systems utilizing desktop Kepler-series GPUs through September 2024.

Microsoft today released a mega Insider Preview Build for Insiders in the Dev Channel who are currently helping the company test the next generation of Windows...today's Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22449 brings a long list of fixes and improvements to the operating system...

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...ncing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22449/
i think thats what i have waiting for a reboot in updates. i see it fixes one other thing ive noticed, the hidden taskbar not popping up if you go to the right corner. so thats nice, ill see how the rest goes in a bit...

Microsoft today released a mega Insider Preview Build for Insiders in the Dev Channel who are currently helping the company test the next generation of Windows...today's Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22449 brings a long list of fixes and improvements to the operating system...

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...ncing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22449/

Just keep in mind that this is a Post-RTM build (testing for the first feature update that will come out after Windows 11 is released). For those who are testing Windows 11 in anticipation of the upcoming release build, the Beta channel is what you want to be on.

i think thats what i have waiting for a reboot in updates. i see it fixes one other thing ive noticed, the hidden taskbar not popping up if you go to the right corner. so thats nice, ill see how the rest goes in a bit...

how is build 22449 running for you?

how is build 22449 running for you?
lol, i havent rebooted yet. i was using the system, then fell asleep watching married with children on amazon last night and it didnt reboot at the scheduled time because it was "in use". maybe in a bit...
edit: ended up just being the .176 update.

Last edited:
I tossed the latest Beta version on (mainly out of boredom) and it seems like most of the hanging and lag from previous early releases has been fixed. I did still encounter a little bit in my pretty massive photo collection folders, though. The settings menu is way snappier and less buggy, though. My Blu-Ray drive still looks like a Windows 8 icon and the Start Menu still can't be resized/customized. Will probably drop the $4 on Stardock at some point. I still like the idea behind it, but just don't like the reality what they gave us. With the final version coming a month from today, I bet this version is 99% identical to what rolls out.

Apparently the current Release Preview (version 22000.194) is what they're rolling out on 10/5.

I tossed the latest Beta version on (mainly out of boredom) and it seems like most of the hanging and lag from previous early releases has been fixed. I did still encounter a little bit in my pretty massive photo collection folders, though. The settings menu is way snappier and less buggy, though. My Blu-Ray drive still looks like a Windows 8 icon and the Start Menu still can't be resized/customized. Will probably drop the $4 on Stardock at some point. I still like the idea behind it, but just don't like the reality what they gave us. With the final version coming a month from today, I bet this version is 99% identical to what rolls out.

Don't worry, MS will have a lot more beta testers after Oct. 5th.

" Also, people saying "why even make the video if you don't know" - The point is that either way at this point, if your computer doesn't meet Windows 11 hardware requirement, you should NOT install it. It doesn't matter if you'll get updates or not. Clearly Microsoft REALLLY does not want you to install it below spec, so there is probably good reason not to."
he needed content for his channel....

" Also, people saying "why even make the video if you don't know" - The point is that either way at this point, if your computer doesn't meet Windows 11 hardware requirement, you should NOT install it. It doesn't matter if you'll get updates or not. Clearly Microsoft REALLLY does not want you to install it below spec, so there is probably good reason not to."

He's a talking head who likes to see himself in YouTube videos and pretend he's famously talented. :ROFLMAO:

Microsoft couldn't care less what people do with their own hardware. They just don't want to be blamed when things go wrong. This is pretty standard stuff for a company simply trying to divorce itself from legal responsibility for something.

From what I've seen based on the Dev preview (which is currently a preview of the first feature update after Windows 11 is released), unsupported systems might not be automatically eligible for a new feature update. "old" versions of Windows 11 (if you don't install the feature update) are still supported with security updates for up to 24 months however, and you can always install the feature update manually by doing an in-place upgrade, bypassing the requirements the same way you would if you upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Anyone who bypassed the system requirements to install Windows 11 in the first place should be savvy enough to do it again once per year when a new feature update is released (supposedly Windows 11 feature updates will be one-per-year as opposed to every 6 months as with Windows 10).

Of course this could change in the future, but the #1 reason Microsoft is harping on things like Secure Boot and TPM is to improve their reputation for security. I don't blame them for taking this stance really, as the primary source for cyber attacks continues to shift from random criminals in places like Africa to hostile nation-states who directly fund these attacks. This has resulted in a dramatic increase in the sophistication of these attacks, and the attacks are often going after bigger targets. Microsoft doesn't like it when they see in the news that an entire shipping port got shut down, or an entire city was without power for a day, because someone in China hacked into one of their Windows systems. In that context, it's pretty clear that they won't be withholding security updates from anyone.

looks like most people are saying to hold off on installing Windows 11...no OEM versions available for purchase?

looks like most people are saying to hold off on installing Windows 11...no OEM versions available for purchase?

Who is "most people"? The click-bait youtubers who have made the calculated financial decision that panning Windows 11 will give them more viewers and ad revenue?

It's just Windows 10 under the hood. The only rough elements, IMO, are related to the UI changes - minor annoyances at best. If you really want an OEM version, then you can just get a Windows 10 OEM key and perform a free upgrade (or just put in your Windows 10 key during install). Actually, with the 22000.194 release build, you can even still do a free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 also... which is funny considering that no computer that came with those operating systems would meet the official Windows 11 requirements, yet the free upgrade works anyway.

If you really want an OEM version, then you can just get a Windows 10 OEM key and perform a free upgrade (or just put in your Windows 10 key during install). Actually, with the 22000.194 release build, you can even still do a free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 also... which is funny considering that no computer that came with those operating systems would meet the official Windows 11 requirements, yet the free upgrade works anyway.

Microsoft doesn't have any plans to sell retail copies of Windows 11?...Newegg, Amazon etc don't have any W11 retail copies available

Back