Windows 11 old build not clean install - upgrade from Windows 10 - question

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi pc:

12900K with NZXT KRAKEN X73 ( 40-50C in Far Cry 6 )

2x16GB DDR4 KINGSTON DDR4 3600MHZ in GEAR 1

RTX 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming

Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4 bios F5

SSD 1 TB NVM PCIE

I went from Aorus Z490 and 10850K to 12900K and Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4. Windows 10 is installed on SSD from 10850K build.
I have an question. I have notification to update to windows 11. Just upgrade that install or format and clean install of Win 11?
And last question. Graphic drivers i will be must install again when i upgrade to win 11?

Last edited:
There is really no context in which you need to manually install windows updates unless you are trying to beta test an update. Just run Windows Update and install your updates through there. I would recommend manually installing the latest Graphics driver after you upgrade to Windows 11. It might keep the previous driver or it might use a GPU driver from Windows Update. Installing the newest GPU driver manually is the best way to be sure. Re-installing the latest Intel chipset drivers would probably be a good idea also.

"AMD64" architecture is synonymous with X86-64. It dates back to when CPUs were still 32-bit, and Intel and AMD took different approaches on how to move to 64-bit CPUs. Intel wanted to leave x86 behind and switch to Itanium. AMD instead created X86-64 ("AMD64") as an extension to existing 32-bit X86. Itanium was a tough sell since it was not compatible with existing x86 code without the use of an emulation layer, while X86-64 was fully compatible. No one wanted to bother with Itanium, and it even became known as "Itanic". Eventually it became clear that X86-64 ("AMD64") had won the battle, and Intel adopted it also.

So skip it?i mean for better gpu usage and lower cpu usage etc?

So skip it?i mean for better gpu usage and lower cpu usage etc?

Don't "skip it". Keep your system up to date via Windows Update, but don't seek out updates to install manually. If it's something you actually need, it will be offered via Windows Update.

I have no idea what you are talking about as far as "better gpu usage and lower cpu usage", but again, if you need it, it will be offered via Windows Update.

The whole upgrade versus clean install stuff isn't like it was 10 or 15 years ago. Windows is pretty good about that sort of thing now. That's not to say every application will run correctly, but for the most part there isn't a huge advantage to going through the effort of a clean install unless you just want to have a clean start and reinstall all your applications.

If by work better you mean more fps, not sure as I don’t benchmark at all, but I’ve had similar performance to windows 10.

games will work better?
Looking at a couple of video

Seam to be margin or error close with a 12900K (and the tendency was to have less issue over time, now in August I can imagine really rare the situation of a major title running significantly worst on Win11), would not expect them to run better either.

Back