Windows 11 May Not Run on Early Ryzen, Threadripper, Skylake-X, or Any Pre-2016 Intel PC

Nearly everything on the list of items MS “killed” were bad or had a bunch of competitors that were simply better.

Holy shit that list is old. Some of that was bad and or no longer needed. Its called updating, changing or evolving technologies. Don't feed the troll is all I can say.

Every time skype gets updated it loses a feature. It got hosed by Zoom last year because its functionally crippled.
Pro skype is being transitioned toward Teams I think (which must offer more monetization options than Skype, like when Messenger was pushed toward Skype)

It isn't Capitalism, it's Corporatism, which is exactly what Microsoft and every other megacorp you listed practices - you should learn the difference.

DpP_T6kWwAcVySx.jpg

Nice meme... :rolleyes:

You complained that Microsoft only cares about profits and not about the customer. So are you saying that these things are unique to "corporatism" and not capitalism?

So, because they all do it, that somehow makes it ethical for Microsoft to follow suit and do the exact same thing?

Microsoft doesn't do the same thing. Windows does not force you into the Microsoft ecosystem. You can install anything you want, without ever touching the app store. I don't even use a Microsoft account. Are you just pissy because Microsoft occasionally gives you a recommendation?

Welp, I guess without individuals such as yourself, Windows 11 would never be a product.

I haven't paid a single dollar for Microsoft software since the 20th century, so I doubt I'm their ideal customer. Then again, maybe that's why Windows 11 is free?

That's your opinion.
In enterprise, I heard so many complaints when half of these went away it would make your head spin - even ones that I personally could have cared less about.

That's ok, we can go pay money for an app to replace a product that was previously included for free in Windows OS!
Oh wait, that's just sensationalist BS, what am I talking about??? :whistle:
Most of those that were free still are, almost everything worth keeping there is still available under a different name that just aligns with their current product stack.

Pro skype is being transitioned toward Teams I think (which must offer more monetization options than Skype, like when Messenger was pushed toward Skype)
Teams is much nicer than Skype ever was, has way better product integration too.

It's not a meme.
You complained that Microsoft only cares about profits and not about the customer. So are you saying that these things are unique to "corporatism" and not capitalism?
Yes, and yes.
If you read the "meme", you would understand the difference.
Microsoft doesn't do the same thing. Windows does not force you into the Microsoft ecosystem. You can install anything you want, without ever touching the app store.
They do indeed do the same thing, they have been forcing people into their ecosystem for over the last decade now (seriously, where have you been since 2015?), and that is only a thing for now.
I haven't paid a single dollar for Microsoft software since the 20th century, so I doubt I'm their ideal customer. Then again, maybe that's why Windows 11 is free?
Microsoft don't need your money to profit from you.
Oh no, you are their ideal customer.

Holy shit that list is old. Some of that was bad and or no longer needed. Its called updating, changing or evolving technologies. Don't feed the troll is all I can say.
That list is updated as of 2021.
Also, welcome to the ignore list.

Last edited:
They do indeed do the same thing, they have been forcing people into their ecosystem for over the last decade now (seriously, where have you been since 2015?), and that is only a thing for now.

In which ways have you been forced into the Microsoft ecosystem? Which Microsoft program or service are you pressured into using?

Yep. Teams has all that. Now it’s conferencing tools aren’t like zoom, but it does other things. Don’t use the video calls. Use the shared management tooks

In which ways have you been forced into the Microsoft ecosystem? Which Microsoft program or service are you pressured into using?
When you are in it you are in it, especially in Enterprise, Gaming requires work but there are plenty of options, PS5 finally offers a viable gaming alternative there, Valve has made good headway’s there too. Anything else Linux/Google/Apple are more than happy to take you on. So if anything the Microsoft of today is more than easy to directly dodge as a consumer, but they have a lot more to do on the backend of that stuff than most realize, they aren’t worth 2B for nothing.

Yep. Teams has all that. Now it’s conferencing tools aren’t like zoom, but it does other things. Don’t use the video calls. Use the shared management tooks
It‘s conferencing tools aren’t too dissimilar than Zoom for smaller meetings but yes for anything 10+ people than zoom is the better choice.

More sensationalist BS. Walled garden? Compared to who? Microsoft's biggest competitor right now is Google and Chrome OS and on those devices you are basically at the mercy of Google and the Google Play store. Apple, with the only other viable desktop/laptop OS, literally goes out of it's way to create a closed ecosystem. Windows is a utopia of freedom compared to either of those alternatives.
Not quite but close enough, I really wish Linux made a better desktop but it doesn’t, great for servers, IoT, and single purpose machines but not nearly user friendly enough. Sad fact is for the bulk of it 99% of Linux developers greatly over estimate the average user and make or enforce design elements that just don’t fly.

Well, don't get me wrong. Windows is great if you are only comparing to macOS. There is so much wrong with Apple's business practices, I won't derail the thread, but yeah Windows is 10x better in terms of freedom.

Not quite but close enough, I really wish Linux made a better desktop but it doesn’t, great for servers, IoT, and single purpose machines but not nearly user friendly enough. Sad fact is for the bulk of it 99% of Linux developers greatly over estimate the average user and make or enforce design elements that just don’t fly.
I agree that Linux is not there yet as a mainstream alternative. Too much stuff requires the command-line, which average people will just never understand. My dad has problems opening text messages on his phone. And lots of important software is missing: MS Office, Adobe Suite, etc. making the switch difficult for a lot of people.

If you are a developer, especially if you do web work and use Linux servers, then I would say Linux is actually better than Window in that respect. Also, the command-line is not actually scary, it is very powerful and useful and also more stable as I find a lot of crashing and app problems are GUI related.

Linux could be more user-friendly, but there are lots of distros that try this, like Pop_OS!, Zorin, Elementary, Mint, etc. If you just need the basics like web browsing and maybe some gaming, it is just as easy as Windows. If you are a content creator then you'll have to find alternative software, and even some average users may find some of their apps aren't supported.

But you're right, the developers of Linux seem a little out of touch with average users and also sometimes don't prioritize things that should be fixed (for maybe valid or invalid reasons) meaning the overall experience is not as carefully designed as macOS or Windows. But you have the power to customize it exactly, so you can usually find what you are looking for assuming you are okay on the command line or editing config files.

Every time skype gets updated it loses a feature. It got hosed by Zoom last year because its functionally crippled.

Becasue Teams is taking its place....
It's not a meme.

Yes, and yes.
If you read the "meme", you would understand the difference.

Microsoft don't need your money to profit from you.
Oh no, you are their ideal customer.

That list is updated as of 2021.
Also, welcome to the ignore list.

You mean a list that started over 20 years ago and is added too as software depreciates or evolves. Sure OK. Just like every other company does with their outdated/evolving products. Do we really need to look for the same examples with Linux or MacOS or can you just stop being obtuse? Year of the Linux desktop amiright?

Oh, never mind I'm on the ignore list already.... :LOL:

Oh good, another facelift Windows version where they continue to nest all the useful data 42 clicks deep…

I agree that Linux is not there yet as a mainstream alternative. Too much stuff requires the command-line, which average people will just never understand. My dad has problems opening text messages on his phone. And lots of important software is missing: MS Office, Adobe Suite, etc. making the switch difficult for a lot of people.

If you are a developer, especially if you do web work and use Linux servers, then I would say Linux is actually better than Window in that respect. Also, the command-line is not actually scary, it is very powerful and useful and also more stable as I find a lot of crashing and app problems are GUI related.

Linux could be more user-friendly, but there are lots of distros that try this, like Pop_OS!, Zorin, Elementary, Mint, etc. If you just need the basics like web browsing and maybe some gaming, it is just as easy as Windows. If you are a content creator then you'll have to find alternative software, and even some average users may find some of their apps aren't supported.

But you're right, the developers of Linux seem a little out of touch with average users and also sometimes don't prioritize things that should be fixed (for maybe valid or invalid reasons) meaning the overall experience is not as carefully designed as macOS or Windows. But you have the power to customize it exactly, so you can usually find what you are looking for assuming you are okay on the command line or editing config files.
Use linux on the desktop every day. Works great. Also end up in the CLI all the time, and I'm a 20 year vet of using Linux for everything.

I've used Directory Opus file manager instead of windows explorer since at least windows XP days. There are some other 3rd party ones of course but window's file manager can't compare.

I use displayfusion multi-monitor app with it's own taskbars and duplicated system tray on them which I set to very narrow at the top of my side screens. I hide the windows task bar on my primary oled monitor using a hot key show/hide toggle in an app called taskbar hider. (I could also drag the windows taskbar off of the primary monitor to the top of one of my side monitors if I wanted to).

I use displayfusion functions tied to streamdeck lcd buttons with icons to launch and place all of my most used apps, and to open commonly used windows system panels, etc. It also places the active window wherever I want using streamdeck buttons + hotkeys with LCD buttons outlining window placement locations something like windows 11 is doing (but better imo). I cobbled together some neat multi functions for my most used apps on multiple-presses of the same app button to launch/minimize/restore-to-my-set-home-position-for-that-particular-app. Finally, I have saved window position profiles in displafusion hotkeyed to streamdeck button(s) so I can hit one button and shuffle all of my open apps at once back to where I had saved them in that profile. One single press. I also have a pair of on the fly save/restore positions buttons next to that one.

I can use windows + S key to open search at any time and type the first 2 or three letters of anything which almost always picks up what I want, and then hit enter if it's anything I for some reason don't have mapped to my stream deck.

I use a small usb midi controller with some easy to use software in order to map all of my most used app's audio to sliders and some games to some control knobs. That way I don't have to invoke the global windows system volume overlay (which drops games out of hdr metadata/mode).

--------------------------------------------------

So I don't need windows taskbar at all anymore. All of the windows 11 taskbar, window placement, and windows file manager stuff is pretty useless to me. If anything, they just have potential to break some of my functionality at first until my apps catch up with updates.

The only thing I see so far that I would be interested in i n windows 11 is the fake HDR (more like ~ " SDR+ ") that windows 11 is implementing. I've been using Reshade with fakeHDR filter and lightroom filter to attempt something similar with a decent end result on my LG CX OLED, for example with darksiders3 after some tweaking of the filters. However I have to do it on a per game basis. It would be nice if windows can do it automatically for any game, especially if it maps the highlights into actual HDR metadata which would probably end up looking better. Really, they could probably update windows 10 to do this too....

TorKVL

What I was also hoping for was that they would make HDR metadata mode switching more seamless. Right now opening a HDR game is very clunky with a mode switch almost like switching resolution. The windows global volume overlay also breaks out of that mode and back to desktop mode every time you adjust the global system volume. This also happens when app notifications pop up or if you alt-tab. It also happens with G-sync compatible VRR mode enabling/dropping-out with pop up notification overlays on LG OLEDs.

Last edited:
It's nice that there are 3rd party apps to modify Windows, but I always found them janky.

Like DisplayFusion, which is almost needed if you have multi-mon, would frequently conflict with whatever Windows was trying to do resulting in weird glitches or broken taskbars, etc.

It's crazy that in 2021, MS still can't make dual/triple monitors work correctly out of the box. And this Auto-HDR stuff? What about just fixing HDR on the Windows desktop first. It is so bad.

It's nice that there are 3rd party apps to modify Windows, but I always found them janky.

Like DisplayFusion, which is almost needed if you have multi-mon, would frequently conflict with whatever Windows was trying to do resulting in weird glitches or broken taskbars, etc.

Maybe the "janky" apps have something to do with the "weird glitches or broken taskbars"? It always amuses me when people install all kinds of oddball 3rd party programs to change UI elements and then complain when stuff ends up broken. Relying on 3rd party apps like that might have been more practical in the past when you had huge monolithic windows releases with few changes in-between, but with UI elements now changing almost every feature update, it just seems like a recipe for disaster.

It's crazy that in 2021, MS still can't make dual/triple monitors work correctly out of the box.

I have run Windows with dual monitors for 20 years and triple monitors for the last 5+ years and always had a fantastic experience. Even both of my parents, who are getting up there in age, are running multi-monitor setups now. They both took to it easily because it's intuitive and works great. What problems are you having exactly?

And this Auto-HDR stuff? What about just fixing HDR on the Windows desktop first. It is so bad.

That is directly related to what they are trying to accomplish with Auto-HDR. The core issue is that SDR content often looks terrible with HDR enabled, and vise versa, creating a need to switch back and forth depending on the content you are viewing/playing. Auto-HDR should help address this.

Well I sold my triple mon setup a while ago. At the time, the taskbar would span all the screens (when using Nvidia Surround) meaning the start menu would be all the way to the left and you could barely see it. DisplayFusion could fix that.

Also, if you wanted a specific app to open on a specific monitor (and remember this choice) Windows doesn't handle that correctly (or at least it didn't as of a few years back). Or setting individual desktop wallpapers for each screen.

Lots of little stuff like that. I mean, it wasn't completely broken but it wasn't great either. The glitches I am talking about, for example, you would see the taskbar stretch all monitors for a second, then DisplayFusion would kick in, and it would go to the center monitor.

Or sometimes the Start menu button would break completely and clicking it did nothing (you could still press the Windows key on the keyboard though). I understand this is not a Windows issue but with the 3rd party program, but MS could have made the desktop easier to customize (like existed for Windows XP).

Well I sold my triple mon setup a while ago. At the time, the taskbar would span all the screens (when using Nvidia Surround) meaning the start menu would be all the way to the left and you could barely see it. DisplayFusion could fix that.

Also, if you wanted a specific app to open on a specific monitor (and remember this choice) Windows doesn't handle that correctly (or at least it didn't as of a few years back). Or setting individual desktop wallpapers for each screen.

Lots of little stuff like that. I mean, it wasn't completely broken but it wasn't great either. The glitches I am talking about, for example, you would see the taskbar stretch all monitors for a second, then DisplayFusion would kick in, and it would go to the center monitor.

Or sometimes the Start menu button would break completely and clicking it did nothing (you could still press the Windows key on the keyboard though). I understand this is not a Windows issue but with the 3rd party program, but MS could have made the desktop easier to customize (like existed for Windows XP).

How well did your triple monitor setup work when you ran Linux?

I was running Win 8/10 back then with triple screen. I had a Linux box but it was on single monitor.

In any case, I'm aware that Linux still has some issues with multi-mon (especially with different refresh rates and VRR) but you can at least customize the start/taskbar with config changes that are fairly straight-forward.

At the time, the taskbar would span all the screens (when using Nvidia Surround) meaning the start menu would be all the way to the left and you could barely see it.

Having the start menu all the way to the left feels quirky on an ultra-wide also, and it's a big part of the reason why the start menu has been moved to the center by default on Windows 11.

Having the start menu all the way to the left feels quirky on an ultra-wide also, and it's a big part of the reason why the start menu has been moved to the center by default on Windows 11.
Yes, centered start menu is a good idea and I'm glad they did that.

I'm on 8.1 only because drivers demanded it. Looking at switching entirely to Linux Mint, after being forced to use some Ubuntu at work. Have switched to Mint on my laptop - it looks pretty sweet.
Yes, centered start menu is a good idea and I'm glad they did that.
Disagree. If it dynamically moves, which I assume it must, then it takes more time to locate it and reduces efficiency. Even on the largest monitor, you should be able to flick your mouse to a corner faster than trying to manually locate. Anything that sacrifices efficiency for cosmetics is a downgrade - not an upgrade. Is this where I continue to complain about Microsoft's "ribbon?" Will never get tired of hating on that thing.

I ran the MS PC Health app earlier and discovered this for myself with a Haswell machine using an i5 4670k. I'm personally fine with switching it over to a flavor of Linux when support for Win 10 runs out, or hell maybe before that.

My concern is finding a version of linux for my mother's desktop (seeing as it has a more recent Pentium, but not recent enough for Win 11) that will play the MS Windows 7 suite of card games and that won't uninstall them at every fucking minor version update. :rolleyes:
Run Mint and Wine. https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/8we2zv/a_fine_vintage_wine_has_run_microsoft_solitaire/

Last edited:
Disagree. If it dynamically moves, which I assume it must, then it takes more time to locate it and reduces efficiency. Even on the largest monitor, you should be able to flick your mouse to a corner faster than trying to manually locate.

It dynamically expands as the number of icons on the taskbar increases, but it's always still on the left side of the group. If you are that worried about the time it takes you to click on the Start Menu, to the extent that you think this change will make you a less efficient worker, then maybe you should just use the dedicated Windows key on your keyboard to open/locate the start menu instead. It never moves.

It also takes about 2 seconds to change the Start Menu back to a traditional orientation if you prefer:
Win11TaskbarOptions.png

windows = i see you have 3 monitors plugged in, here they are all are, working fine, the order is 3,1,2. and even though they are all identical monitors, we automatically adjusted the resolution on monitor 2 to 291234x13454.

linux = i see you have 3 monitors plugged in, here they are in order 1,2,3. the center monitor contains you GUI, if you would like to USE monitors 1 and 3, please RTFM and don't bother asking questions. THANKS!

i use both, extensively. every day.

Maybe the "janky" apps have something to do with the "weird glitches or broken taskbars"? It always amuses me when people install all kinds of oddball 3rd party programs to change UI elements and then complain when stuff ends up broken. Relying on 3rd party apps like that might have been more practical in the past when you had huge monolithic windows releases with few changes in-between, but with UI elements now changing almost every feature update, it just seems like a recipe for disaster.

I have run Windows with dual monitors for 20 years and triple monitors for the last 5+ years and always had a fantastic experience. Even both of my parents, who are getting up there in age, are running multi-monitor setups now. They both took to it easily because it's intuitive and works great. What problems are you having exactly?

That is directly related to what they are trying to accomplish with Auto-HDR. The core issue is that SDR content often looks terrible with HDR enabled, and vise versa, creating a need to switch back and forth depending on the content you are viewing/playing. Auto-HDR should help address this.

DisplayFusion Window management (and optional taskbars, screen savers, wallpaper manager, logon screen custom image etc)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been using displayfusion since at least XP, no jankiness in modern times with powerful pcs and years of updates to the app. It's default window placement and window management functionality is miles above window's default. If you delve into easily loading some pre-made functions from their script library it opens up much more powerful functionality too. Those functions are pre-made, you just need you to set a hotkey for them. If you spend the time to edit a few to your specific needs, (and maybe even grow to borrowing snippets from some to cobble together your own), it becomes an even more powerful tool. Their forums are very responsive and helpful as well if you have a specific thing you are trying to accomplish and are having difficulty - replies from the dev team to assist you in your goals - usually with a quick code snippet in short order. Combining pre-made function's and feature's hotkeys in the app to a stream deck is a match made in heaven. I use displayfusion constantly, calling on it from my streamdeck every time I use my pc. I've had no issues with the displayfusion taskbars and had been using one on one of my side screens for the last few years -- mostly just in order to access the system tray quicky -- but as my setup has evolved I've grown out of the need to use taskbars for the most part now.

Directory Opus File Manger
-------------------------------------------------------------
Directory Opus file manager dwarfs window's default file manager so much it's almost like another OS layer. It makes windows file manager look like a kiosk/toy. I've been using Opus since at least xp days as well. I'd never go back to default windows file manger. The default "surface" / up-front functionality of directory opus, with a few customization options for looks, is great on it's own. It's default interface has been highly customizable for years.. fonts, colors, bg colors, sizing, thumb sizing via slider, custom icons/action) dual pane browsing, mutiple tabbed browsing, draggable tabs, duplicate tab, open folder via right click menu in new tab, favorites dropdown to tab, file collections, ftp/remote folder in tab... The file copying/file transfer system is way better than windows with some extended options and unattended copying/file transfer options. That's just the very tip of the iceberg though - the more you learn how to use it the more incredible tools you find it has.

• Single or dual pane file display and folder trees
  • Tabbed interface let you keep multiple folders open and switch quickly between them
  • Unique Explorer Replacement mode provides a full replacement for Windows Explorer
  • Quickly filter, sort, group and search your folders
  • Color-code your files, assign status icons, star ratings, tags and descriptions
  • View images, documents and more. Image marking lets you sort your photos quickly and easily
  • Batch renaming including easy-to-use keyboard macros
  • Support for FTP and archive formats like Zip, 7Zip and RAR
  • Built-in tools including synchronize (and duplicate file finder)
  • Calculate folder sizes
  • Print or export folder listings
  • Queue multiple file copies for improved performance
  • Fully configurable user interface - colors, fonts, toolbars, keyboard hotkeys, and a full scripting interface let you tailor Opus exactly to suit your needs
  • Efficient, multi-threaded, modern design. Supports the latest 4K monitors. Available in both 32 and 64 bit versions.
  • Ability to open multiple panes within a single window which makes working with files a breeze—Norton Commander 2 style.
  • Queue up multiple file operations to run one after the other.
  • Preserve creation and last modification timestamps of files during transfers.
  • Bulk rename files.
  • Securely delete files.
  • Split and join files.
  • Calculate cryptographic hashes.
  • Automate things with scripting.
  • Edit file system metadata of files (useful for testing)
  • Synchronize folders.
  • Find duplicate files.
  • Connect to FTP/sFTP sites.
  • Use the software from a flash drive in portable mode.
+ way more than I can list here.. a lot the core/base functionality is accessible "out of the box", but it also includes advanced features and even scripting for power users.....it's very customizable.. and it's FAST.. no jankiness or lag or whatever you are claiming.

Stream Deck
--------------------
Peripheral with LCD buttons that can load custom icons/images, even toggle between images to show the state of the button, also can do some low rez animated gif buttons.
Elgato's Stream Deck plugin library has a ton of useful tools for windows and a multitude of other apps and functions (some of which duplicate at least a few of the things displayfusion can do incidentally).. and the library is growing. The stream deck can also simply activate hot keys or toggle between them on multi presses, and can even activate a series of plugin functions, use timers, etc.. Even just using the buttons to trigger hotkeys works great with displayfusion functions or any other given app's hotkeys (e.g. photo editor's main tools).

https://apps-staging.elgato.com/plugins

Power Mixer app or the newer Midi Mixer App + a small usb Midi Mixer
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used power mixer to map my commonly used app's audio to sliders onto my usb midi mixer's sliders and knobs for years. This allows me to adjust the volumes individually without taking my mouse out of a game or whatever else I'm doing. Since the swtich to playing several HDR games on my OLED, this setup has also come in handy since the window's global volume control invokes an overlay that breaks the game out of full screen exclusive/HDR mode every time you adjust it at all. Using the midi controller to do any app/game volume separately without adjusting the windows master volume avoids this. Not to mention it's just really nice to be able to adjust your windows sounds, music, game volume, ~ other app volumes, (or mute them) seperately. I'm going to migrate to the midi mixer app soon though as it's more modern and has some additional functionality

=========================================

No taskbars ---
-------------------------------------------------

I used to use displayfusion taskbars on my side portrait monitors at one point, but now between the apps I mentioned above as well as having two 4k desktop displays worth of real-estate (+ a 3rd one more as a multimedia/gaming "stage")... I have pretty much grown out of the need for a taskbar other than the system tray on occasion. I hide the windows taskbar with taskbarhider app using a toggle hotkey (assigned in the taskbarhider app). If I need something I for some reason don't have set up in my streamdeck already, I just hit Windows + S key and start typing. It almost always picks up what I want within two keystrokes, then just hit enter. I have most common things tied to streamdeck keys already though, and it's easy to add more.

So as I said - I have my streamdeck set up to launch displayfusion functions for each app I commonly use.
Hitting the app's key will:
-check to see if the app is open or not.. if not, open it. (If open already, move on to min/restore)
-check to see if it's minimized or not: .. if min -> restore it .. if not minimized -> minimize it.
So hitting any app's streamdeck key will (to it's pre-set "home position): launch it -or - restore it/ minimize it ...restore it again, toggling each time you hit the key.

I also have a global displayfusion window position profile I can activate with a single key to shuffle all of my apps back to their "home" positions.. (all of them at once with a single button press), as well as some keys to throw the active window wherver the key's icon shows.

EOKDETC.png

I can also level up to the home "directory" on the stream deck and drill down to any number of sub panels for audio configuration/audio apps (e.g. toggle between sound devices with single button toggle is a simple one I use often), sub panel full of keys that open specific windows 10 OS panels, office/mail authoring panel, gaming panel (I have one button that closes and re-opens steam, a big screen steam toggle, other game related launchers and apps, chat, etc), graphics editing panel, video panel, etc etc.

So like I said... I have no use for the silly middle windows taskbar. The saved window position thumbnail selector in win11 is a nice addition for default window installs. It's something like the split screen thumbnails in the selector screen on modern android tablets. However Displayfusion can do both of those and a million other things better, and is way more functional for multiple screens. Still nice for people w/o displayfusion though I guess.

=====================================

The things I was hoping for in windows 11 were more seamless and better HDR mode windows/desktop functionality, not breaking HDR mode with the global volume control, etc. and any game/performance increases. I haven't seen any news about HDR mode switching or the volume overlay issue being any less clunky in 11.

The windows 11/xbox (fakeHDR "SDR+" ) HDR tone mapping is a nice addition but really they could just add that to windows 10 in an update. I suspect they won't in order to lure people into migrating to 11 though.

Last edited:
Even on the largest monitor, you should be able to flick your mouse to a corner faster than trying to manually locate

Not exactly what you are talking about but just so you know, with displayfusion you can activate hotkey or otherwise trigger the mouse to move to a specific monitor, position or window.

https://www.displayfusion.com/Discu...ions/?ID=5d9e0b04-08ec-40bb-a742-6e8f95109321

All of these mouse functions are built in:

settings-functions-mouse.jpg

+ you can do more with the user script library or editing any existing scripts yourself a little.

It would be easy to set a home position hotkey for the mouse. It would also be easy to set up separate hotkeys to move the mouse pointer to a spot on each specific monitor for example, or you could set a single hotkey to cycle between positions/screens on multiple presses. Tie any of those kind of hotkeys to a mouse button or streamdeck button, or just use the keyboard hotkey.

You could also tie that kind of function into existing functions you made that launch/focus on a particular app...
...so that when you click the app hotkey(or streamdeck button) - the mouse will automatically move to that app for example.
....Or I could set it up so that when I click each screen button on my stream deck (in the screenshot example I have in the prev reply) - the mouse would move to that screen's center (or whatever position I set for that screen) automatically.

Last edited:
It would also be easy to set up separate hotkeys to move the mouse pointer to a spot on each specific monitor for example, or you could set a single hotkey to cycle between positions/screens on multiple presses.
For what is being talking about, simply pressing the windows key and typing the first letter of what you want to launch (if you use the default app launched)....

Is there many people that worry about speed that use the mouse much for something like launching an app and for who it change anything were the start menu is ?

I keep my mouse speed and dpi settings very fast so I can move it across all three of my 4k screens pretty fast .

However since someone mentioned "finding" their mouse by scrubbing it to the far corner, I thought I'd mention how displayfusion can allow you to set a hotkey to a mouse "home position" in the middle of your main screen or wherever else you want to set it to be. It can also switch the mouse to the other screens, or to apps, active window, specific location, triggered by other events, etc like I said. This could come in handy for some people with very long ultrawide screens or very long arrrays (sometimes with a screen on a different desk, or a laptop screen, etc.) or just as a quality of life thing so that when you launch or focus on an app on a different screen in a very large array, or when switch to looking at that screen - your mouse will more or less automatically be there at the app or screen depending how you set it up. It's about utility and options.

You can also "ping" the location of your mouse of course, which can help if you find you are losing track of it for some reason.

open-mouse-settings-via-run-command.png

show-mouse-pointer-location-with-ctrl.png

---------------------------

If you want to get really fancy, you can get a tobii eye tracker and use one or more of the Tobii eye tracker's windows 10 functions. You can set some of them to a hotkey so they aren't "always on".

* Note that currently, a single Tobii Eye Tracker can only work on a single screen, not multiple. I don't know if it would be possible to use their tracking software with one eye tracker at the top of each screen in a multi-screen array, but at $225 - $230 each tracker it seems cost prohibitive even if that was possible.

Edit: from the devs

In fact, we are currently working on providing multi-monitor support into our next generation of eye trackers but this will not apply unfortunately to the current commercially available range of consumer eye trackers (4C, Eyex)

Accordingly, please keep an eye on Tobii announcements on our website for upcoming details.

One possible workaround you could consider (which is not officially supported!) if you have the hardware could be to place two computers side by side each with an eye tracker connected running a singular keyboard and mouse shared via software such as Synergy Plus. However even in this scenario, there may be infrared interference from the parallel trackers that could affect performance.

https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/articles/209525449-Windows-Interaction-features

image.png

windows.PNG

image.png

I don't own one of those eye trackers :geek:

- yet. :D

Last edited:
I think its great that win 11 has the ability to give users a centered Taskbar. I think its good if it is enabled by default.

But why remove existing functionality? I do not want or need the new taskbar. I have good reasons for having it set the way I do-- I dont need MS insisting they know better.

Microsoft doesn't do the same thing. Windows does not force you into the Microsoft ecosystem. You can install anything you want, without ever touching the app store. I don't even use a Microsoft account. Are you just pissy because Microsoft occasionally gives you a recommendation?

One doesn't exist without the other, a point many hell bent on this new terminology fail to understand.

I ran triple monitors, than dual monitors under Linux using Nvidia hardware/drivers - The experience was actually better than Windows running Nvidia Surround, where windows would open extended behind the task bar. Dual monitors was faultless, having said that I only run matched monitors as I find mismatched monitors mess with my OCD.

Back