Windows 11 May Not Run on Early Ryzen, Threadripper, Skylake-X, or Any Pre-2016 Intel PC

That is the issue. It isn't consistent, and changes. Literally all I want is a quick way to launch installed programs, just like Windows 7. Instead it's a dynamic trying to think for you list. I'm glad it works well for you, but you just described the main difference, and IME it's not very good at guessing what I want it to display.
Once it was trained, it has always brought up what I want. Now the steam thing, IMO, is a Steam issue. They should install a shortcut into some folder in under the User's profile like, ya know, pretty much every other program. That said, i never even tried to launch it that way. I just load it by right licking on the steam icon the the System Tray and picking one of the recent games (unless it's something I havne't played in ages, then I open steam and open the game from there. That's how I've done it roughly 10 years (iow with 7, 8.1 and 10).

Once it was trained, it has always brought up what I want. Now the steam thing, IMO, is a Steam issue. They should install a shortcut into some folder in under the User's profile like, ya know, pretty much every other program. That said, i never even tried to launch it that way. I just load it by right licking on the steam icon the the System Tray and picking one of the recent games (unless it's something I havne't played in ages, then I open steam and open the game from there. That's how I've done it roughly 10 years (iow with 7, 8.1 and 10).
I find it is easily untrained by typos, where it then reverts to searching the web, brings up the website for the program you want to launch, it looks like the launcher, you click, and it's now forgotten that you have that program installed. I've always launched steam games from steam, it's easier and I always know where they are. Unlike the win 10 start menu, which I will always consider to be hot garbage.

This is a terrible take because 11 year old PCs on the Internet are safe harbors for all kinds of malware and spam distribution.
Today machines that old often run Windows XP.
You’re making generalizations that no one knows for sure except their situation.

For me I have a 7 year old box. There is no point to upgrade right now. Upgrading everything but the video card gains me what? A real world increase of a second or two?

It works for what I need it to do at home.

Now I have a few work PC’s that are in the same boat but are substantially more expensive. I want to get the most benefit for the cost, so if I can’t upgrade to win11 they will go full EOL on win 10. And I’ll be grouchy when I have to upgrade when I getting rid of perfectly good hardware.

We will see what the final nonsense from MS turns out to be. I just don’t agree with putting proverbial “use by” or “expires by” stickers on perfectly good hardware. Especially when that hardware isn’t always cheap to replace and is working just fine.

This is a terrible take because 11 year old software on the Internet are safe harbors for all kinds of malware and spam distribution.
Ftfy
The gist of this thread is that hardware may be getting retired due to software not supporting it

If it worked in previous versions of Windows but not 10 then it's not a Steam issue.
I've been running Windows 11 for the better part of five weeks now.
Every game I run on Steam, also works flawlessly on Win11.
Sometimes people like to present Microsoft as the 'boogeyman'.
That's not always the case.

I've been running Windows 11 for the better part of five weeks now.
Every game I run on Steam, also works flawlessly on Win11.
Sometimes people like to present Microsoft as the 'boogeyman'.
That's not always the case.
You might want to read through this and this before making such oblivious statements.
Microsoft also just crippled the taskbar in Windows 11 too, FYI.
Another feature that Microsoft removed in Windows 11 is the ability to drag & drop shortcuts on the taskbar. When you try to do so on a Windows 11 system, you get a "denied" icon and can't complete the operation.

Someone needs to explain to me why supporting 20 year old cpus is needed. Even 5 year old hardware.

I have an 10 year old laptop that I swapped the spinning disk for an SSD and its running windows 10 just fine. The fact that I can run windows 10 on it helps "secure" it. This is a good thing and it's 'botnet' free.

It seems as though they want to focus on locking down the systems for security reasons.

Microsoft owns the OS industry, it’s on them to stop the incredible uptick in ransomware and hacking. Yes businesses should do their part but this need to remain backwards compatible has been a godsend and PITA at the same time. How many countless PCs are on botnets?

It just seems to me like Microsoft should be the ones to force the issue finally. If a business needs Windows 95, 2000 or 7/8 let them use it but start the migration for people with better underlying security infrastructure and platforms.

Granted this is MS we’re talking about but still. I use macOS, Linux and Windows 10. The former have at least taken ample steps to deal with security. Apple more so but they have that luxury since they make their own hardware now too.

EDIT: In other words make the next Windows totally dedicated to security from the ground up. Force the use of security hardware, run apps in their own containers, use FIDO/FIDO2 and push that across the board as a web standard. It already is, but put the OS and Microsoft’s name with it to encourage use.
You are making assumptions that botnet's require "old hardware" as well as implying that windows 11 security + New TPM's are going to be immune to them. The former simply isn't true, the latter remains to be seen but you shouldn't hold your breath.

I'm not saying that Microsoft shouldn't move in a direction that makes computing more secure. At the same time, when there is a user involved security will be able to be compromised. Most compromises are through 3rd party software like the web browser, java... at least flash is gone finally.

Pretty sure Microsoft isn't going to 'require' the new hardware so much as heavily recommend it. There's no reason that windows 11 cannot run on the same hardware that windows 10 can. The extra security features can be enabled when the hardware allows, but the OS should still work without those hardware pieces, because at least the user is running a current OS and getting all of the other security updates that apply to the OS.

I have an 10 year old laptop that I swapped the spinning disk for an SSD and its running windows 10 just fine. The fact that I can run windows 10 on it helps "secure" it.

Yeah, my work desktop is 8 years old now and it's running Windows 10 from NVMe natively, no tricks or hacks.

I would be okay with the security requirements for OEM pre-built machines, laptops, etc. I do think that is a good direction.

But they should at least let you install it at your own risk, same as the Spectre patches, etc. Kind of goes against the PC building community.

You might want to read through this and this before making such oblivious statements.
Microsoft also just crippled the taskbar in Windows 11 too, FYI.
Unless they removed the ability to simply left click on the shortcut and add it to the taskbar, it's not a meaningful change, IMO, but i've been doing it that way since no later than 2015 (and that assume 7 didn't have that option.
If it worked in previous versions of Windows but not 10 then it's not a Steam issue.
Of course it's a steam issue. Steam isn't using a shortcut. What's more, even if this is something MS stopped supporting in 10, 10 is 6 years old. Is it really so hard for Steam to make links like every every other app? Again, I don't use short cuts for games in steam, but if Valve gave a fuck, they'd just use standard shortcuts...problem solved.

Win 10 and 7 start menus are miles apart. My beef is, <start>+ type app name fails on win 10 as often as it's successful. Half the time I click thinking it found my program, only to have edge open (cringe) a webpage where I can buy software I already own.

Windows now has an alternative in the powertoys, You can install windows power toys: winget install powertoys

Enable powertoys run in it with the shortcut you want, maybe it will work better for you (your find my files setting set to enhanced in the windows 10 is maybe the most important here).

Every time Microsoft pushed consumers into a direction they lost sales. I honestly can't think of one time Microsoft succeeded in pushing the industry into a direction Microsoft wants. They will obviously lose sales but this is the same company who killed Xbox by pushing against used games. Microsoft has a fuck up quota that they have to maintain.
DirectX did work very well for them ( I remember old computer magazine with interview when they were reassuring and making it clear that it did not mean that any time in the future it will make having to have windows running to play a game will be a thing....), the console industry became all Xbox (almost computer with slight difference), I would imagine on the office suite type program has well. They did achieve to push the industry to make game that are windows specific.

same company who killed Xbox
That sound a bit harsh for a company that are selling them has fast has they can make them.

Microsoft know how to turn a profit (almost one billion a week in profit last year) more than how your message make it sound I mean, it is not obvious they lost sales versus the alternative world without them by all the pushed they ever made:
Apple logo

Apple
AAPL
$2.456 T$148.600.72%🇺🇸 USA
Microsoft logo

Microsoft
MSFT
$2.252 T$299.720.21%🇺🇸 USA
Alphabet (Google) logo

Alphabet (Google)
GOOG
$1.922 T$2,8911.71%🇺🇸 USA
Saudi Aramco logo

Saudi Aramco
2222.SR
$1.857 T$9.290.14%🇸🇦 S. Arabia
Amazon logo

Amazon
AMZN
$1.696 T$3,3501.01%🇺🇸 USA

Last edited:
Is it really so hard for Steam to make links like every every other app? Again, I don't use short cuts for games in steam, but if Valve gave a fuck, they'd just use standard shortcuts...problem solved.
Would that not compete with them wanting to open their program and see the game in sales ads has often has possible.

Still on 8.1. I would still be on 7, if the drivers were there. Thinking about switching to Linux, if I get the opportunity.

What do I gain from upgrading? A lighter wallet, more telemetry data for Microsoft and forced updates?

Windows now has an alternative in the powertoys, You can install windows power toys: winget install powertoys

Enable powertoys run in it with the shortcut you want, maybe it will work better for you (your find my files setting set to enhanced in the windows 10 is maybe the most important here).

DirectX did work very well for them ( I remember old computer magazine with interview when they were reassuring and making it clear that it did not mean that any time in the future it will make having to have windows running to play a game will be a thing....), the console industry became all Xbox (almost computer with slight difference), I would imagine on the office suite type program has well. They did achieve to push the industry to make game that are windows specific.

That sound a bit harsh for a company that are selling them has fast has they can make them.

Microsoft know how to turn a profit (almost one billion a week in profit last year) more than how your message make it sound I mean, it is not obvious they lost sales versus the alternative world without them by all the pushed they ever made:
Apple logo

Apple
AAPL
$2.456 T$148.600.72%🇺🇸 USA
Microsoft logo

Microsoft
MSFT
$2.252 T$299.720.21%🇺🇸 USA
Alphabet (Google) logo

Alphabet (Google)
GOOG
$1.922 T$2,8911.71%🇺🇸 USA
Saudi Aramco logo

Saudi Aramco
2222.SR
$1.857 T$9.290.14%🇸🇦 S. Arabia
Amazon logo

Amazon
AMZN
$1.696 T$3,3501.01%🇺🇸 USA

Some people have the attitude or mindset that if a few people on a enthusiast forum don't like it then its a massive failure. 99% of consumers don't frequent forums such as this one.

As you point out, they are still a tech giant so they are doing a lot right. They probably know a lot more of what features etc. consumers like and what consumers don't like than any of us.

MS finished their re-evaluation and it remains the same requirements (outside of whitelisting a few Intel CPUs).

https://www.xda-developers.com/wind...ort-amd-zen-or-most-intel-7th-gen-processors/

This morning, Microsoft revealed a change of plan to The Verge: it won’t technically abandon those millions of PCs, because you’ll be able to manually install the downloadable Windows 11 ISO on whatever you want.

https://www.theverge.com/22643275/windows-11-upgrade-system-requirements-pc-health-check

That seems a little more fair, but I do worry about the part about getting Windows Updates.

That seems a little more fair, but I do worry about the part about getting Windows Updates.
getting updates after isnt an issue. what its saying is that you wont be able to upgrade via updates, so you have to manually install via the iso. ive turn tpm off and still get updates and upgrades to new dev versions.

Moving to a Mac makes so much sense. PC gaming is about the only reason to stay with Windows. Even then GPUs are so expensive and hard to find that it may be worth moving to a PS5 until the hardware market returns to some form of normalcy.
Mac? No. I'll use a Commodore64 as my daily driver before I ever use a Mac. Though I did recently get a PS5 and I would be happy just playing games on that, the experience rivals high-end PCs.

getting updates after isnt an issue. what its saying is that you wont be able to upgrade via updates, so you have to manually install via the iso. ive turn tpm off and still get updates and upgrades to new dev versions.
I'm referring to this line in the article, seems like security updates may be affected, which would be a huge problem.
First and perhaps most important, Microsoft informed us after we published this story that if your computer doesn’t meet the system requirements, it may not be entitled to get Windows Updates, even security ones. We’re asking Microsoft for clarification on that now. But secondly, it still sounds like Microsoft will be encouraging millions of people to replace their perfectly good Windows PCs.

Moving to a Mac makes so much sense. PC gaming is about the only reason to stay with Windows. Even then GPUs are so expensive and hard to find that it may be worth moving to a PS5 until the hardware market returns to some form of normalcy.
That was my reasoning when I moved to full-time Mac use a decade ago. PC gaming has its advantages, but there are also plenty of drawbacks (the cost of keeping up, glitches, more frequent online cheating, among others). That and my life situation has changed in recent years. I'd much rather game in the living room, a social space where my fiancée can cuddle and watch, than isolate myself in my office. I'd rather be a good partner and human being than obsess over frame rates and mouse control.

That was my reasoning when I moved to full-time Mac use a decade ago. PC gaming has its advantages, but there are also plenty of drawbacks (the cost of keeping up, glitches, more frequent online cheating, among others). That and my life situation has changed in recent years. I'd much rather game in the living room, a social space where my fiancée can cuddle and watch, than isolate myself in my office. I'd rather be a good partner and human being than obsess over frame rates and mouse control.
Move your PC in your living room.

I'm referring to this line in the article, seems like security updates may be affected, which would be a huge problem.

Microsoft has indicated that the current beta is already VERY close to what we will see when Windows 11 goes RTM, to the extent that the Dev channel is about to start getting post-RTM builds for testing (22H2 IIRC). That means that there won't be any fundamental changes in the beta between now and RTM, and currently, there is nothing in Windows 11 that serves as a gatekeeper for security updates based on your hardware, even when running on hardware that is very much NOT supported.

Microsoft's main claim for wanting TPM 2.0, Secureboot, etc is based on improved security, and wanting to improve Windows' reputation for security going forward. In that context, I don't see them allowing people to install Windows 11 and then turning around and withholding updates. Microsoft has nothing to gain, and a lot to lose from having a bunch of un-patched Windows 11 installs out in the wild. It would fly in the face of everything they've indicated so far, and I just don't see it happening.

I wonder why the verge could not give an actual quote of what Microsoft said? Probably because they figured they would get more clicks by prolonging the controversy, and I'm guessing the actual quote wasn't nearly as newsworthy as the article would seem to imply...

Last edited:
Microsoft has indicated that the current beta is already VERY close to what we will see when Windows 11 goes RTM, to the extent that the Dev channel is about to start getting post-RTM builds for testing (22H2 IIRC). That means that there won't be any fundamental changes in the beta between now and RTM, and currently, there is nothing in Windows 11 that serves as a gatekeeper for security updates based on your hardware, even when running on hardware that is very much NOT supported.

Microsoft's main claim for wanting TPM 2.0, Secureboot, etc is based on improved security, and wanting to improve Windows' reputation for security going forward. In that context, don't see them allowing people to install Windows 11 and then turning around and withholding updates. Microsoft has nothing to gain, and a lot to lose from having a bunch of un-patched Windows 11 installs out in the wild. It would fly in the face of everything they've indicated so far, and I just don't see it happening.

I wonder why the verge could not give an actual quote of what Microsoft said? Probably because they figured they would get more clicks by prolonging the controversy longer, and I'm guessing the actual quote wasn't nearly as newsworthy as the article would seem to imply...
I wonder if the verge will do a how to video…

Correct, that scenario doesn't make sense, but it was the quote from the article (if you trust The Verge for your tech news).

Some people have the attitude or mindset that if a few people on a enthusiast forum don't like it then its a massive failure. 99% of consumers don't frequent forums such as this one.

As you point out, they are still a tech giant so they are doing a lot right. They probably know a lot more of what features etc. consumers like and what consumers don't like than any of us.
Emboldening a megacorp like Microsoft doesn't make the 99% of ignorant consumers right, either.
The only thing Microsoft is doing 'right' is making a profit for their stakeholders, and literally nothing more.

If you think any megacorp cares about their customers, you are in for an eye-opening experience.
The only thing Microsoft cares about is the almighty profit.

They probably know a lot more of what features etc. consumers like and what consumers don't like than any of us.
Even though Microsoft themselves have removed many features which customers actively used in order to stranglehold said customers into Microsoft's own walled garden and could further line their own financials with additional licenses of software and features which already worked perfectly fine but were removed.
Ignorance of the customer is no excuse - even the road to ruin has its toll.

Emboldening a megacorp like Microsoft doesn't make the 99% of ignorant consumers right, either.
The only thing Microsoft is doing 'right' is making a profit for their stakeholders, and literally nothing more.

If you think any megacorp cares about their customers, you are in for an eye-opening experience.

Oh please... You could apply that tired old rhetoric to literally any company. It's called capitalism, deal with it. While it's true that companies don't have feelings, and thus don't "care" about their customers, the quest for profit and the happiness of customers is directly linked. People tend to buy stuff that they like... It's not rocket science.

And while a company might not "care" about it's customers, that doesn't mean that the individual workers don't care, including people in decision making positions. There are a large number of workers who are passionate about what they do, and it's not their company's profits that they are passionate about.

Even though Microsoft themselves have removed many features which customers actively used in order to stranglehold said customers into Microsoft's own walled garden

More sensationalist BS. Walled garden? Compared to who? Microsoft's biggest competitor right now is Google and Chrome OS and on those devices you are basically at the mercy of Google and the Google Play store. Apple, with the only other viable desktop/laptop OS, literally goes out of it's way to create a closed ecosystem. Windows is a utopia of freedom compared to either of those alternatives.

Oh please... You could apply that tired old rhetoric to literally any company. It's called capitalism, deal with it. While it's true that companies don't have feelings, and thus don't "care" about their customers, the quest for profit and the happiness of customers is directly linked. People tend to buy stuff that they like... It's not rocket science.
It isn't Capitalism, it's Corporatism, which is exactly what Microsoft and every other megacorp you listed practices - you should learn the difference.

DpP_T6kWwAcVySx.jpg

More sensationalist BS. Walled garden? Compared to who? Microsoft's biggest competitor right now is Google and Chrome OS and on those devices you are basically at the mercy of Google and the Google Play store. Apple, with the only other viable desktop/laptop OS, literally goes out of it's way to create a closed ecosystem.
So, because they all do it, that somehow makes it ethical for Microsoft to follow suit and do the exact same thing?
I guess if you worship the god of Money, or are a stakeholder, then your answer would be 'yes'.

Also, if you actually read the list of products and software killed by Microsoft, you would easily realize that none of that is sensational BS as you claim, but are straight up corporatist tactics.
Welp, I guess without individuals such as yourself, Windows 11 would never be a product.
Windows is a utopia of freedom compared to either of those alternatives.
Enjoy Windows 10 while it lasts.

Even though Microsoft themselves have removed many features which customers actively used in order to stranglehold said customers into Microsoft's own walled garden and could further line their own financials with additional licenses of software and features which already worked perfectly fine but were removed.
Ignorance of the customer is no excuse - even the road to ruin has its toll.
Nearly everything on the list of items MS “killed” were bad or had a bunch of competitors that were simply better.

Nearly everything on the list of items MS “killed” were bad or had a bunch of competitors that were simply better.
That's your opinion.
In enterprise, I heard so many complaints when half of these went away it would make your head spin - even ones that I personally could have cared less about.

That's ok, we can go pay money for an app to replace a product that was previously included for free in Windows OS!
Oh wait, that's just sensationalist BS, what am I talking about??? :whistle:

That's your opinion.
In enterprise, I heard so many complaints when half of these went away it would make your head spin - even ones that I personally could have cared less about.

That's ok, we can go pay money for an app to replace a product that was previously included in Windows OS for free!
Oh wait, that's just sensationalist BS, what am I talking about??? :whistle:
Such as? I work for the largest Microsoft partner in the world. Which products?

Back