Windows 11 May Not Run on Early Ryzen, Threadripper, Skylake-X, or Any Pre-2016 Intel PC

I'm not sure if these are real requirements, or just a segment that they specifically want to beta test at this juncture. Maybe they picked CPUs that are in computers that could likely still be sold as "new" in order to get this thing ready for OEMs.

The Microsoft I know will eventually try to cram this bloated spyware down everyone's throat whether they want it or not.

Any other updates on 1st gen threadrippers? 1950x is still going strong.
AMD didn't use TPM modules for the Threadrippers instead choosing to make it as part of the onboard silicon built into the chip hence the tag in the bios fTPM, the first-gen Threadrippers have their equivalent of 1.2 embedded, not 2.0 So depending on the motherboard there may be an option to physically add a 2.0 chip if the board and vendors bios support it but that is getting into the weeds of a 5-year-old platform. I wouldn't expect it but based on what I am seeing Win11 so far seems to be more a service pack to 10 than something groundbreaking and new so 10 will likely outlive your system. But who knows WTF Microsoft is doing at this point, I honestly think the only reason we are hearing about Win 11 at all at this point is because of the leak. Had it not happened I am pretty sure they would have sat on this for another few months at least and went with an October announcement.

Microsoft had the event planned before the leak, but I agree maybe they were forced to divulge more information than they wanted at this point.

I just want an OS that works the way they did ~15 years ago.

All local programs, no ecosystem, I install what I want and only what I want, and my computer never tries to contact anything else on the network unless I explicitly tell it to.

Windows 11 is yet another step in a long line of steps in the WRONG direction, removing user choice, forcing tons of crap on people they don't want, and trying to wrest control of peoples computers away from the people who actually own them.

It's total bullshit. Companies are supposed to compete for users by giving them what they want. Not by forcing shit on them because they don't have a choice. The latter is not the free market.

For these and many other reasons I've been a Linux first user for many years, but I still keep a tidy debloated Win10 install around to dual boot to just for games. I hope I can continue doing this, but I am unwilling to compromize on the cloud integration, MS Account, and TPM requirements. If I can't find a way to kill them, I'll hang on to Windows 10 as long as I can, and hope gaming on Linux improves to the point where I consider it usable in the next 3 years.
Their stock price, sales revenue, etc would disagree. Heck, folks in general are happy with Microsoft - they're giving the majority of users what the majority of users want.
I'm a linux user too, but I have no issues with this or with Windows in general. TPM and secureboot protect you. There will be bypasses if you really want them, pretty fast too.

As for Linux - what games can't you play? With Proton, I've not had an issue in some times except with DX12 only titles... Which are few and far between.

I've had good luck on Proton for playing games on Linux.

First game that just wouldn't work was this game G-String (a cyberpunk HL2 mod) but it is so obscure I doubt anyone will make a fix. So I played on Windows.

Also had a lot of trouble with Cyberpunk 2077. I did eventually get it to work, but only after hours of troubleshooting. And performance could be a little better.

Otherwise, mostly all the games I've tried are working with good performance, some only lose about 10 - 15% fps in the translation, but that is not so bad.

As for Linux - what games can't you play? With Proton, I've not had an issue in some times except with DX12 only titles... Which are few and far between.

It's not that I can't run titles.

Just about everything I have tested has worked.

It's just that the performance loss compared to windows makes it not doable for me.

I am constantly fighting to reach 60fps at 4k on most titles. I can't afford to lose even 5%

It's not that I can't run titles.

Just about everything I have tested has worked.

It's just that the performance loss compared to windows makes it not doable for me.

I am constantly fighting to reach 60fps at 4k on most titles. I can't afford to lose even 5%
Ah. I’m just under 4K (c9 ultra wide) and doing pretty good with a 3080. Better hardware needed?

Ah. I’m just under 4K (c9 ultra wide) and doing pretty good with a 3080. Better hardware needed?

Probably.

But even with better hardware, you are still getting less in Linux than you do under Windows.

Don't get me wrong. DXVK and Proton have come a long way, and are infinitely better than they were, but I want to get the most out of my hardware.

That, and I refuse to pay anything above MSRP for a new GPU.

I was going to buy a 3090 at launch, but $1,499 is my absolute max price. I never pay above MSRP for anything.

Yeah, the performance loss on Proton is real. I mean, I have seen games perform as good (or better, like Watch Dogs 2) but usually you are losing like 10 - 20%.

I upgraded to the 6800XT from a 2080 Ti, and this gets me about the same performance in Linux w/ the 6800XT as the 2080 Ti on Windows.

Decided I was okay taking the hit, games are still running well and playable, even if the fps is slightly lower.

Their stock price, sales revenue, etc would disagree. Heck, folks in general are happy with Microsoft - they're giving the majority of users what the majority of users want.
I doubt that means people are happy to use their products. You use Windows cause you have no choice, just like their office products.
I'm a linux user too, but I have no issues with this or with Windows in general. TPM and secureboot protect you. There will be bypasses if you really want them, pretty fast too.
TPM and Secureboot have been around for a while and how well have they protected you?
Probably.

But even with better hardware, you are still getting less in Linux than you do under Windows.

Don't get me wrong. DXVK and Proton have come a long way, and are infinitely better than they were, but I want to get the most out of my hardware.
Not all games perform worse on Linux. Some even perform better. Particularly on AMD hardware when using Vulkan as we can make use of ACO. DX9 titles run faster with Gallium Nine which is again an AMD only thing with a few Intel GPU's as well. They're started to implement Gallium Nine for more modern hardware. Point is if you want equal or better performance on Linux then Nvidia is not the way to go.

All local programs, no ecosystem, I install what I want and only what I want, and my computer never tries to contact anything else on the network unless I explicitly tell it to.

Windows 11 is yet another step in a long line of steps in the WRONG direction, removing user choice, forcing tons of crap on people they don't want, and trying to wrest control of peoples computers away from the people who actually own them.

It's total bullshit. Companies are supposed to compete for users by giving them what they want. Not by forcing shit on them because they don't have a choice. The latter is not the free market.

For these and many other reasons I've been a Linux first user for many years, but I still keep a tidy debloated Win10 install around to dual boot to just for games. I hope I can continue doing this, but I am unwilling to compromize on the cloud integration, MS Account, and TPM requirements. If I can't find a way to kill them, I'll hang on to Windows 10 as long as I can, and hope gaming on Linux improves to the point where I consider it usable in the next 3 years.
You are not their target user. They don't care about people like you.

Hence why I refuse to support the modern form of corporatism and use an operating system made by the people for the people.

If I need to run Windows to do anything, anything at all - I'll run Linux. I have the ability to adapt, I can learn new things, I refuse to be locked into an ecosystem because of laziness or muscle memory. I've been running solely Linux since the advent of Windows 10 and I don't even think of the fact I'm not using Windows anymore.

Gaming isn't a good enough excuse to put up with the manipulative tactics of a corporate overlord looking to sneakily pilfer $$ from my back pocket and push me to use their browser for the obvious reason of going after my personal meta data. Microsoft's manipulative tactics are becoming shamelessly obvious now. Besides, most of my games run fine under Linux, in fact in many cases they run 'faster' under Linux.

For us Desktop folks, we tend to like upgrading regularly anyway, so I doubt that by 2025 when Windows 10 goes EOL, too many of us will be affected.
Hmmm...

[Looks at dual X5675 Xeon LGA1366 workstation with 48GB of registered ECC DDR3, dual 6TB spinners, 250GB m.2 bootable SSD, SATA3 via an LSI raid card flashed for IT mode and GTX 980Ti that still serves me well]

I'm over the constant upgrade cycle TBH.

Welp I have a Ryzen 1700x so no 11 for me. My motherboard does have a 20 pin header for a TPM module though. Will adding one let me install Window 11? If so can anyone recommend where to buy a reliable TPM 2.0 module?

Edit:

Got my answer. Also scalpers suck!

Last edited:
Hmmm...

[Looks at dual X5675 Xeon LGA1366 workstation with 48GB of registered ECC DDR3, dual 6TB spinners, 250GB m.2 bootable SSD, SATA3 via an LSI raid card flashed for IT mode and GTX 980Ti that still serves me well]

I'm over the constant upgrade cycle TBH.
Upgrading once every decade isn’t the constant upgrade cycle…

I doubt that means people are happy to use their products. You use Windows cause you have no choice, just like their office products.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/customer.guru/net-promoter-score/microsoft-corporation.amp

NPS is solid. Most folks don’t know better when it comes to windows. As for their office products, at least with the core (leaving out teams and Skype), they’re literally the best out there- especially when you start getting into regression analysis or any of the more complex excel systems. Word processors are word processors; PowerPoint is PowerPoint. That being said, that’s not where they make money- it’s on their cloud platform and their development tools, both of which are excellent

TPM and Secureboot have been around for a while and how well have they protected you?
And I haven’t bothered using either, because I was lazy. Now we’ll have to, and maybe they’ll prove useful like they were supposed to.
Not all games perform worse on Linux. Some even perform better. Particularly on AMD hardware when using Vulkan as we can make use of ACO. DX9 titles run faster with Gallium Nine which is again an AMD only thing with a few Intel GPU's as well. They're started to implement Gallium Nine for more modern hardware. Point is if you want equal or better performance on Linux then Nvidia is not the way to go.

This. I’m waiting for my 6800XT to get back from RMA.

I’m an equal windows and Linux user. Windows 10 is good. We’ll see on windows 11. Sadly, Microsoft has the only real office products out there when you start getting more complex - Libre’s complex tools are either sub par or straight out missing, and googles tools are a bloody joke.

My laptop and home PC will be just fine. The Thinkpad is using a Ryzen 5 4300U, and the desktop is using a Ryzen 5 2600X.

My main work PC's, though, are highly unlikely to make the cut. One is running my trusty old FX4100 (still running at 4.3 GHz), and another is running an A8-3850. The app won't run on these PC's, since one is running Windows 10 Education, and the other is running Windows 10 Enterprise, and both came back with the response of "see your organization's IT personnel about an upgrade" or something similar.

In all honesty, though, by the time Windows 10 goes EOL, I would be quite surprised if either of the two are still running, and even an entry level Ryzen CPU in 2025 will run circles around either system. I've squeezed almost every last drop of usability from these two PC's (and they're still running fine), but their age is starting to show.

Hopefully, the chip shortage should be finished by that time...

1624974242182.png

Yeah, gaming on Linux is not perfect, but games do work more often than not. Sometimes there are command parameters you need to add, or tweak config files, but I find most games do end up working.

Definitely had my share of problems, like most recently trying to play The Forest. The game loaded and everything, but performance was at 15 fps. People online said it worked, so there must be something I'm missing. But that may take some time to track down.

And Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't work with the AMD Vulkan drivers for some reason (just a black screen), so I tested all sorts of stuff, but I got it working using the Mesa drivers. That took about 2 hours of troubleshooting, but I did get it working in the end.

However, I would say a good 75% (or more) of the time, I just hit play on a game and it works fine. Performance can be a hit or miss, but generally it is in the range of Windows, maybe you lose 10% fps, but not the end of the world.

Whats Microsoft going to do after they release Windows 94? It will be here sooner than you think.
I just hope I can upgrade to windows 69....

And Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't work with the AMD Vulkan drivers for some reason (just a black screen), so I tested all sorts of stuff, but I got it working using the Mesa drivers. That took about 2 hours of troubleshooting, but I did get it working in the end.
Yea you gotta use the latest mesa drivers for Cyberpunk to work. I use kisak-mesa.
https://launchpad.net/~kisak/+archive/ubuntu/kisak-mesa
However, I would say a good 75% (or more) of the time, I just hit play on a game and it works fine. Performance can be a hit or miss, but generally it is in the range of Windows, maybe you lose 10% fps, but not the end of the world.
If it's a DX11 or DX12 game then yea you'll lose 10% performance, but in time that will get reduced. If it's a Vulkan game then it may run faster on Linux, especially OpenGL as AMD's Windows OpenGL driver is absolute trash. My hope is that we'll see a Gallium Eleven which will give us equal DX11 performance. Microsoft has sorta ported DX12 for Linux but I haven't heard anything about it.

I only try and play about 4 games, maybe 5 on Linux and almost always it's a hot mess trying to get it to work. And when it does work, eventually they break it.

I'd love to just use Linux at this point but until I can game consistently, I'm stuck still dual booting windows.
What are you playing? Enable proton in steam, hit install, and go...? I'll give some of the ones you're struggling with a shot.

MS has apologies for the upgrade spec tools basically saying it was crap and they are going to be working to resolve this and that more hardware will be added to the list.

It's pretty clear that people are going to be able to run Windows 11 on anything Windows 10 can run on if they care enough to try. The fact that MS has straight-up said that the requirements are flexible for OEMs means that the OS will always have a way to work properly without a TPM Module, Secureboot, etc. They wouldn't leave that door open for OEMs if it resulted in a broken OS. Driver support won't be a problem, even on "unsupported" hardware, because Windows 11 uses the same drivers as Windows 10 and Windows 10 will still be around for a while. In fact I've even used Vista 64 drivers for some hardware and it still worked fine...

This thread has mainly turned into an echo-chamber of Linux users patting each other on the back.

It's pretty clear that people are going to be able to run Windows 11 on anything Windows 10 can run on if they care enough to try. The fact that MS has straight-up said that the requirements are flexible for OEMs means that the OS will always have a way to work properly without a TPM Module, Secureboot, etc. They wouldn't leave that door open for OEMs if it resulted in a broken OS. Driver support won't be a problem, even on "unsupported" hardware, because Windows 11 uses the same drivers as Windows 10 and Windows 10 will still be around for a while. In fact I've even used Vista 64 drivers for some hardware and it still worked fine...

This thread has mainly turned into an echo-chamber of Linux users patting each other on the back.
installed 7 drivers on the test units im playing with, worked fine. its still 10 under the hood.
no shit eh! typical though....

That is true, but consider this outcome:

Windows soft requires TPM module.

Access to TPM module suddenly gains massive adoption.

Streaming services now start to use the TPM for DRM, games start using it for cheat protection, other software uses it for any number of applications (It is an advertisers wet dream due to having a unique identifier...)

Suddenly, unless you have a TPM module enabled, you can't use a large proportion of common applications. You are forced to comply, and deal with all of the ill effects of TPM, or do without things you previously used.

This is probably how it is going to go.

There are some positive uses for TPM and Secureboot, but there are many many more awful big brother, choice removing, dystopian applications, and when those things exist, the data hoarding companies out there WILL use them. It's not a matter of IF. It's probably not even a matter of WHEN. They are p[robably salivating just thinking about how they can take advantage of this right now, and likely already have development teams assigned.

This is how you get a dystopian choice-less future, by drinking the kool-aid, and dismissing one little change at a time as harmless. They know this. This is why they don't push it all at once. It's a game of cloak and dagger, getting the population used to shit that would have been completely unacceptable only 20 years ago, but introducing it one tiny bit at a time.

It needs to be decent peoples goal everywhere to drive every last one of these companies out of business by any means necessary. If they use cloud services, collect any user data at all, or try to use cryptography to hurt user choice they need to be wiped off the face of the earth. If that means an end to the entire economy of California, so be it. I don't care.

It is worth mentioning that there are reasonable, privacy respecting uses for cloud or by-service software, collection of user data (for the benefit of the user and within a limited scope) - its just a lot easier to make profitable exploitative uses at the moment with very limited downsides , something that shall need to change.

Given that Win11 seems more like a service pack to Win10, making SecureBoot and/or TPM 2.0 compatibility as part of the major requirements, even if the OS will run without them, does suggest there are future plans . In the past these were mostly used by business or OEM uses and there wasn't much focus on the consumer's device - I don't remember Win 7, 8 / 8.1 / or 10 having these as qualifiers on the upgrade tool, but I admit I could be forgetting if it was present. Regardless, making it front and center for every Win11 running PC as a preferential requirement is a difference and it does suggest a future path - perhaps something in what Zara describes - is in mind. I've brought up Android with "SafetyNet" in the past (among others) so its a legitimate concern that there's going to be a push for these restrictions that serve advertisers, content providers, and others at the cost of the user and its not unreasonable given the past with everything from lootboxes/microtransactions to surveillance capitalism that it will be a either "take it or leave ubiquitous modern computing" type of situation.

Streaming services now start to use the TPM for DRM, games start using it for cheat protection, other software uses it for any number of applications (It is an advertisers wet dream due to having a unique identifier...)

Suddenly, unless you have a TPM module enabled, you can't use a large proportion of common applications. You are forced to comply, and deal with all of the ill effects of TPM, or do without things you previously used.

This is probably how it is going to go.

There are some positive uses for TPM and Secureboot, but there are many many more awful big brother, choice removing, dystopian applications, and when those things exist, the data hoarding companies out there WILL use them. It's not a matter of IF. It's probably not even a matter of WHEN. They are p[robably salivating just thinking about how they can take advantage of this right now, and likely already have development teams assigned.

This is how you get a dystopian choice-less future, by drinking the kool-aid, and dismissing one little change at a time as harmless. They know this. This is why they don't push it all at once. It's a game of cloak and dagger, getting the population used to shit that would have been completely unacceptable only 20 years ago, but introducing it one tiny bit at a time.

It needs to be decent peoples goal everywhere to drive every last one of these companies out of business by any means necessary. If they use cloud services, collect any user data at all, or try to use cryptography to hurt user choice they need to be wiped off the face of the earth. If that means an end to the entire economy of California, so be it. I don't care.
I'm genuinely not trying to start something here, but it reads a little like you are also drinking kool-aid, just of another flavour. Whilst I'm sure some of this may come to pass, it's not really dystopian. And being tied to cloud services could not have been completely unacceptable 20 years ago as there was no cloud to not accept, if you see what I mean. Sure, there are many sheeples in the world that use cloud services which companies will of course take advantage of, but equally there are many that do not. Hell, a large chunk of the world outside the West doesn't even have internet. Personally, I keep nothing in the cloud, even though I use Windows and Office 365, I have multiple copies on multiple drives so I don't see the need to proclaim the end of the free world as we know it just yet....

I don't recall anything about any new OS that has ever "suddenly gained massive adoption". Like all new versions of Windows it will see slow adoption over the course of years. Windows 10 had already been out for about 3 years before it surpassed Windows 7 (and that is ignoring Windows 8 users, who also weren't using 10 yet).

If we end up with 90%+ of users having a TPM-enabled computer I could maybe see that starting to happen. But the reality is that many people are still using their old computers and are happy to keep using them. Not to mention the wide variety of devices that Streaming services are able to run on. I just don't see them cutting off so many users, especially while Windows 10 is still supported. You can stream with a $20 firestick but your computer can't stream anymore because it doesn't have a TPM module? Doubt it. I could see some games maybe going that route eventually but we're still talking 100% theory at this point. I just don't see any game or app company that eager to cut off a significant amount of users.

Well, my plan is to just run Windows 11 with TPM disabled as long as I can get away with it. Really though, I feel like Microsoft has been more of a follower when it comes to data collection. It was Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc leading the way with data collection. Those companies demonstrated that no one cares about data collection, and from a corporate perspective, you can't really blame Microsoft for following the trend at that point. Microsoft is about the only major tech company left that isn't primarily an advertising company, so it's really the lesser evil. If people wanted to make a stand against Data collection, it should have occurred starting 10+ years ago when Facebook, Google (Android), and Amazon started pushing the limits.

All of those companies would probably just be replaced by Chinese companies, and I'm not sure that would be an improvement.

We've seen this happen before with HDCP. I remember years ago I bought a $750 monitor (I think in 2008, so that was pretty high end) and it didn't have HDCP so I couldn't watch Blu-Rays without using hacks.

If I remember correctly, I had to mod a VGA cable by pulling out one of the pins with pliers, then that would disable the HDCP check and allow it to work. But I shouldn't have to do hacks like this with content I legally paid for.

We've also seen this with DRM on streaming services, originally Netflix couldn't do 4K HDR unless you used the UWP app on Win 10, using a web browser would be lower quality. And some quality was missing on Firefox (I think they fixed this though) and forced you to use Chrome.

So yeah, I could definitely see companies utilizing TPM to control users. It won't be full throttle at first. They will slowly add new features that you can only use if you have TPM, or give "legacy" users lower quality to convince them to upgrade. Not my first rodeo.

So far Win 11 has been working good on my XPS 13 9360. I am not sure about the interface, but it will take some time to grow on me.

Coming from enterprise I don’t see a downside to the need for TPM as we’ve been using secure boot and bitlocker for almost all long as the options have been available. We did a good 6 month trial of it to make sure nothing weird happened we couldn’t deal with but outside that it’s been a standard part of our PC and windows server deployments for years now. Enforcing this on the populace will be painful at first but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Coming from enterprise I don’t see a downside to the need for TPM as we’ve been using secure boot and bitlocker for almost all long as the options have been available. We did a good 6 month trial of it to make sure nothing weird happened we couldn’t deal with but outside that it’s been a standard part of our PC and windows server deployments for years now. Enforcing this on the populace will be painful at first but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

I just envision laptops sold by vendors with locked boot loaders, just like on phones, preventing people from installing the OS of their choice. That is unacceptable to me.

Granted they could do that today by just enabling it themselves. Windows requiring it doesn't change that.

Back