Windows 11 May Not Run on Early Ryzen, Threadripper, Skylake-X, or Any Pre-2016 Intel PC

It literally states that Windows 11 requires TPM 2.0 for Windows 11 - not sure how you aren't understanding that, but believe whatever you want.

The discrepancy here is that you are making assumptions based on what you are reading on a page (likely written with OEMs in mind), whereas I'm talking about what people can actually do with the OS. As I said before, there has never been a version of windows released that couldn't be run on hardware below it's minimum requirements. Why are you assuming that it will be different this time? The first "official" beta is supposed to be released this week, so we should know more soon...

What the hell does that have to do with anything???

Just another example of hardware requirements that likely don't mean as much as you think they do.

Last edited:
The discrepancy here is that you are making assumptions based on what you are reading on a page (likely written with OEMs in mind), whereas I'm talking about what people can actually do with the OS. As I said before, there has never been a version of windows released that couldn't be run on hardware below it's minimum requirements. Why are you assuming that it will be different this time? The first "official" beta is supposed to be released this week, so we should know more soon...
You know, if it turns out that individuals find a way around this and do successfully install it, despite Microsoft's TPM 2.0 requirements, that would actually be quite satisfying.
Let's see how this plays out - this is one that I hope I'm wrong about and do hope that you are right about, especially with finding a way around it that is legitimate - because if not, there is about to be a gigantic and needless amount of e-waste on the horizon of perfectly useful and working systems...

despite Microsoft's TPM 2.0 requirements,
both of us have installed it on systems that dont have tpm 2, mine was 1.2 and hes installed on 2 system without tpm altogether, no "mods". thats why we're saying it will probably change or that the lists are for oems to be win11 certified or something. but its all assumptions at this point.

both of us have installed it on systems that dont have tpm 2, mine was 1.2 and hes installed on 2 system without tpm altogether, no "mods". thats why we're saying it will probably change or that the lists are for oems to be win11 certified or something. but its all assumptions at this point.
Which no one at the moment really gives a damn about because it's a leaked unofficial beta that people got their hands on before the announcement. That you can currently install it on hardware which doesn't meet the official requirements means nothing. Previous requirements were CPU, RAM and storage so it was easy to install on hardware which didn't meet the specified requirements. MS didn't put in a check so you had to have a 1Ghz+ CPU so it was possible to install it on a 750mhz CPU. MS didn't check to see if you actually had 4GB of RAM which allowed you to install it on a system with 1GB.

What we're talking about now is a literal piece of hardware. It's very simple for MS to make it a requirement and put in a check that says no install if you don't have it as it's a yes or no answer. That the check isn't in the leaked unofficial beta you've been messing with means nothing at this point. If we're lucky, MS won't make it a full requirement or will back off and remove the requirement but I'm not going to bet on that happening. And insisting that the requirement is fake based on an unoffiical and leaked beta is simply absurd.

If the requirement is enforced and someone does find a way to modify the ISO to bypass the check it may end up being useless if MS also institutes a check from Windows Update looking for it. Sure, you can install the OS but what happens if you can't get any updates? How is that going to be good?

Are we really concerned that win 11 doesn’t work on hardware 5+ years old? Sure, my buddy’s kid’s “new” 980x is probably sufficient horsepower wise for win 11, but I don’t think we really care if it doesn’t work either.
Actually yes, we do care. A lot of us are still running older chips in secondary or even primary machines. My HTPC, for example, runs a 4970 (overkill as it is) which I will certainly want to move to Win11 for the features.

Moreover, this is going to put further strain on CPU supply since every Tom, Dick and Harry running a 4 year-old PC to browse the internet will need to upgrade.

Actually yes, we do care. A lot of us are still running older chips in secondary or even primary machines. My HTPC, for example, runs a 4970 (overkill as it is) which I will certainly want to move to Win11 for the features.

Moreover, this is going to put further strain on CPU supply since every Tom, Dick and Harry running a 4 year-old PC to browse the internet will need to upgrade.
Then keep using windows 10 - it’s getting updates for years after the win 11 release. Or, go buy a raspberry pi 4 with an aluminum case for $50 and run Xbian w/ kodi. The benefit to the pi 4 is that it will idle at less than 2w, as opposed to >100 for 10+ year old gear.

Almost all ransomware attacks still require user error in order to infect a system. Linux isn't a cure for user error.
I'd argue that if the masses adopt Linux, user error would be 1000 times worse than Windows. For people who have no interest in learning all the terminal commands or reading 10 man pages everytime they want to do anything in their PC, will find the most obnoxious and obscure ways to compromise their security in the interest of convenience.

Last edited:
Wonder if it is possible to have USB TPM modules. The TPM modules on a lot of motherboards are addons anyway.

I haven't given it a look yet. I see many concerns, but are there any killer features that make the jump to 11 compelling?

Last edited:
I haven't given it a look yet. I see many concerns, but are there are any killer features that make the jump to 11 compelling?
No, but some here will swear Windows 11 will be better than sliced bread.

Many of these features have been around in other OSs for quite some time.

Wonder if it is possible to have USB TPM modules. The TPM modules on a lot of motherboards are addons anyway.
Don't even need that. Firmware based ones work fine on any 10 year old Intel/AMD proc (tested back to sandy bridge) if your motherboard exposes the feature.

I haven't given it a look yet. I see many concerns, but are there are any killer features that make the jump to 11 compelling?

Microsoft has made DirectStorage a Windows 11 exclusive feature. If you're not familiar with DirectStorage, it's a way to bypass protocol overhead and allow game textures to be essentially loaded directly from your NVMe SSD to your GPU vRAM. It should significantly reduce if not eliminate loading times in most games, as well as allow for extremely immersive game environments with countless textures loading in the background automatically as you play. Right now NVMe SSDs are totally bottlenecked by old storage protocols designed 20+ years ago for spinning hard drives, which is why if you transfer a folder with say, 30,000 small files, it will still take a LONG time even if you are transferring from one NVMe SSD to another.

Still, DirectStorage has to actually be utilized by game developers. It doesn't speed things up automatically. In that respect, you can expect it to be a fairly slow adoption over the course of years, similar to DirectX 12 after it was introduced in Windows 10 (if we are lucky).

It is frustrating that Microsoft is requiring people to build new PCs, but hardware is nowhere to be found.

Hey, how 'bout that Apple T2 chip that will render your soldered-down SSD unusable if the T2 dies?

No, technically it's not a TPM 2 module, but it's similar, and unlike most PCs, you can't disable it in the BIOS.

Mind you, Apple doesn't require Macs with T1/T2 chips just to install new operating systems, at least not yet.

Also, the problems stem in part from expectations Microsoft has set up around Windows. This is the OS that's supposed to run on the spare 10-year-old PC in your basement. To suddenly flip from "legacy support above all else" to cutting off people with PCs just a few years old is a bit of a shock. It makes Apple's support for seven- or eight-year old Macs seem generous.

Are you for real?
We aren't talking about CPUs from 20 years ago, we are talking about Kaby Lake and Ryzen CPUs from literally less than 4 years ago.

If Microsoft requires TPM 2.0 or above for security, while no other OS in existence does this, I think it is time to reconsider using any OS made by Microsoft.
Also, when Microsoft's best practice requirement for OS updates within an enterprise changed from a secondary testing model to a tertiary testing model, it pretty much proved what hot garbage their updates and operating systems are at that point.

Yes, how dare you, Microsoft.

Not hardly.
Obviously my snarkiness aside, your computer from 4 years ago, 3 years ago, or whatever, is currently running the same, will continue to run the same for at least another 4 years, running the operating system for the era during which it was built; the Windows 10 era. That hasn't changed. You can never fully future proof and there will always be something that changes, in this case a hardware requirement for security.

My previous post pointed out plenty of things we've had to deal with in the past that required some kind of upgrade or addition of hardware to keep up with the times. In this case, a $30 hardware module for some machines built to run a different operating system instead of a $200 optical drive, or a completely new system because Intel changed the number of socket pins...again.

There's always something that's changing that will require some type of hardware upgrade, even if it's only 4 years old. My point was you'd think people would stop complaining about it.

It is frustrating that Microsoft is requiring people to build new PCs, but hardware is nowhere to be found.
That is simply not true. While older machines may require a $30 part to upgrade to Windows 11, there's nothing keeping you from continuing to run Windows 10 on your existing hardware for ANOTHER FOUR YEARS.

Just because you WANT to upgrade to Windows 11, doesn't mean you have to, or that Microsoft is requiring you to. If you can't control your urge to have the latest software, then you're going to have to have the latest hardware. Or add a $30 module to your machine for your free upgrade.

That is simply not true. While older machines may require a $30 part to upgrade to Windows 11, there's nothing keeping you from continuing to run Windows 10 on your existing hardware for ANOTHER FOUR YEARS.

Just because you WANT to upgrade to Windows 11, doesn't mean you have to, or that Microsoft is requiring you to. If you can't control your urge to have the latest software, then you're going to have to have the latest hardware. Or add a $30 module to your machine for your free upgrade.
A $30 module won't do it when you also need a newer CPU. I already have TPM 2.

If you think spending thousands to build a new PC is even a remotely better option than adding a TPM module to your existing machine for $30, chances are you were already planning an upgrade.

I mean honestly, even my nearly 10 year old X79 board has a TPM module connector.

I get the TPM shit. But the fact that the ryzen 1700 on my test system is not supported per the tool, is silly. I'm sure there will be revisions to the list or a way around.

What does a TPM do for Windows exactly?
Right. I mean, I can understand certain use cases for the extra security, but why require it?

They have yet to explain exactly how this is a benefit, especially since I don't think it even protects against most the of the common malware.

Probably more security theater.

All the tpm nonsense.

What’s the fallback plan?

they totally shut off windows 10 and brick your computer?

Highly unlikely.

So if you can’t upgrade the worse is you’re stuck on W10 because you didn’t like W11 anyways?

Am I missing something?

What a disaster. I'm very likely to shift my current core system guts, Intel 5960X based, into server duty to take over my antiquated homelab/file-server/NAS and thus will be Linux-only anyway, it shoudn't be necessary. Given its moderate overclock to 4.5ghz and 8c/16t there's no reason it should not be able to run Win11, none the less considering that the mobo is a Rampage V Edition 10 - even requiring a TPM 2.0 chip all it should take would be a small upgrade but these days even a high end component is unlikely to be granted that. I must mention however that I did see some TPM 2.0 modules sold and these are going for insane prices nearly overnight since the news. Apparently it is possible to upgrade X99 platforms to TPM 2.0 with a proper chip ( first or third party) but there is discussion if Microsoft will enforce CPU generation support as well so even if someone like me picked up a TPM 2.0 module it may not work, as Win11 would negate my Haswell-E era CPU as too old!

I can't imagine this will be beneficial for Microsoft overall, as it means far fewer people will update than otherwise. It behooves them to get as many people on the latest Windows platform as possible, and its already a strange situation that Win11 is even potentially a thing, considering that there was talk not very long ago how Win10 would be the "last" full version of windows and it would instead be a dated sort of thing for major updates (ie 1H 2021, 2H 2021 etc). Ultimately, I can't see the benefit in pushing TPM 2.0 for the vast majority of (non business) users ; conversely, I am more concerned that it will be used for increasingly draconian lockdown. I can remember with Windows 8 and the coming of UEFI there was a time when it seemed that, besides the new Windows Store, there was a push for UEFI Secure Boot to only function on WIndows and/or if you had a properly purchased OS "key" - so it would not pass Secure Boot if you were using any Linux distro save for the few big names like CentOS who basically bought a key!

At the time they couldn't enforce that sort of thing without majorly turning off the userbase (and in fact such lockdown was a major reason why Valve started investing in Linux and open source more heavily!) , but I worry such things could come to fruition in the Windows 11 age. We've already seen that on mobile Google's "SafetyNet" has made it difficult to use certain applications on a device with an unlocked bootloader or custom ROM ; certain "secure" apps such as banking apps will simply not load! Likewise, if rooting is detected etc. While there is some utility to this for the average user, it also restricts advanced users significantly ; these are people who know they've rooted or are using a custom ROM; it should be enough to pop up a "do you know this is the current status?" prompt rather than full lockdown. However, those platform, application, and DRM developers see things like SafetyNet and DRM as a way to restrict troublesome users seeking control of their device - those who want to stray outside the walled garden will have to deal with significant cost! While I'd love if the vast majority of people saw this behavior, figuratively threw down their devices and OSes and moved to open solutions, that isn't what is likely to happen in the short term . In the long term more people than ever are switching to Linux from Windows and seeking out open source/spec software which is great to see, but its frustrating that there will be another battle over perfectly usable hardware being limited without TPM 2.0 chips or- even if users pay for expensive upgrade modules - it may not be enough if they go through with these restrictions.

Over the past few years I had thought that just maybe Microsoft had started to "get it", seeeing them release games on Steam, etc... knowing that they can sell games, peripherals, and services to a wide variety of users if they are able to be open with the platform or store. Now, if they restrict Win11 in this way its yet another step back towards closed, proprietary platform control.

Edit: I am curious if there will be a platform independent alternative to DirectStorage in the way that Vulkan is preferable to DX12 in that it is cross platform and open.

I've got a laptop with Intel Core i7-7700HQ and in the BIOS there is TRM 2.0 functionality which is enabled.

PC Health Check app says that my system can not run Win 11.

So the processor as minimum requirement seems to take precedence compared to TRM functionality

Right. I mean, I can understand certain use cases for the extra security, but why require it?

They have yet to explain exactly how this is a benefit, especially since I don't think it even protects against most the of the common malware.

Probably more security theater.
TPM 2.0 is an essential component for virtualizing and isolating applications, there are methods to simulate proper application isolation without it but they are not nearly as good and more often than not have measurable performance impacts. Using TPM also negates most forms of malware/spyware/...etc that currently exists on the windows platform and would render those infections to the current application set only which would be cleared with closing the application or at worst a reboot. Apple's equivalent of TPM, the T2 chip, does a large part to their security and privacy efforts and at this point gives them a serious leg up on just about all other platforms in terms of the overall security. The requirement for TPM 2.0 over the much more widespread 1.2 is probably because of recent discoveries into a series of flaws in 1.2 that leave it vulnerable to attack. At this stage, 1.2 should not be used unless it is your only option as it is still better than nothing but only just.

Will mine be ok ?

does this mean I will be able to run windows 11.jpg

Looks like Microsoft updated the tool. A few days ago it would not run on Windows 10 Education (said administrator manages updates). The newest version works now. Still doesn't work on LTSC.

Last edited:
Back