Windows 11 May Not Run on Early Ryzen, Threadripper, Skylake-X, or Any Pre-2016 Intel PC

We'll see how the *actual* requirements vary over time. The leaked ISO doesn't require a TPM module at all. I've installed it just fine on hardware much older than what is "supported". But there is a chance that the TPM module could become a hard requirement sometime between now and RTM. I really don't see them going that route though.

VirtualBox_Windows 11 Beta_24_06_2021_12_11_54.png

VirtualBox_Windows 11 Beta_24_06_2021_11_46_51.png

I can see a legacy hardware culling. Bulldozer CPUs needed really different thread handling than anything else out there and there have been a lot of new features/instructions added to x86 CPUs since AMD made the jump to Ryzen and Intel went Core i3/i5/i7/i9 (and even up to Skylake which until recently was the last major Intel architecture change). It seems reasonable to me for Windows 11 to not support <Ryzen CPUs on the AMD side and <Skylake on the Intel side.

That being said, I do object to some of the Ryzen and Skylake era chips being "unsupported" though, and for the same reason I object to AMD dropping support for GCN video cards older than Polaris: All the GCN cards are essentially the same architecture and support the same instruction sets/APIs with their limitations primarily being vRAM and raw power. Likewise, all the Ryzen and Skylake derivatives are (from that standpoint) essentially the same as the newer CPUs.

The restriction just feels... arbitrary.

I honestly think most of you are seriously overreacting. OMG Windows 11 won't run on my 20 year old toaster! HOW DARE YOU MICROSOFT!

The worst thing about there being a Windows 11 is people on the internet.
Exactly, a 4 year old skylake-x is a 20 year old toaster. How dare people still use such old junk!

If a computer does the job it's supposed to do I'm not going to add it to a landfill and spend thousands of dollars on a replacement, just because MS decided they can't be bothered to support it.

Not to mention TPM is disabled on a lot of devices by default. Most people have no idea how to enable it. Sure mandate it for Win11 certified (I hope that is what Microsoft is doing), but to block it for older products will just slow Win11 adoption.

Exactly, a 4 year old skylake-x is a 20 year old toaster. How dare people still use such old junk!

If a computer does the job it's supposed to do I'm not going to add it to a landfill and spend thousands of dollars on a replacement, just because MS decided they can't be bothered to support it.
By the time win 10 goes EoL, that skylake x will be over 8 years old.
Weren’t we just having the discussion that MS sucks because they have too much backwards compatibility, and it causes too many compromises?

I need to use a MS account for the Dolby Vision plug in from the store, more stuff like that will happen as time goes on

This is also a deal breaker for me:
"Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use."
Indeed, during Win11 Home installation there's no option to skip MS account and use a local one.

There is no way I envision ever signing up for a Microsoft account and tying my computer to any online service. My computers are local devices and local devices first and foremost, independent of any online service, and if I can't have that, then I'll just opt out.
Hopefully this won't apply to "Professional" editions that us mere mortals can still buy without being backed by Enterprise/Educational mass licensing. If it does, this may be the thing that makes me get rid of windows completely for good.

Win11 Professional allows you to skip MS account and use a local account instead, but there a very many places that still insist on switching to MS account after the install, saying

Example:

You still need to use MS Account for things like MS Store, Xbox game pass, etc.

Attachments

• 1624715385939.png
    1624715385939.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1624715509962.png
    1624715509962.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1624715660811.png
    1624715660811.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 0
Eh, as long as it doesn't do an auto update and brick my system as a result of incompatibility I'm ok.

This was inevitable honestly. It's shitty, but folks shouldn't be surprised.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned that getting/running Win11 requires that Optional Diagnostics Data be turned on... giving MS full visibility of every web page you visit and every app you run :/
That is a huge NOPE for me

Not to mention TPM is disabled on a lot of devices by default. Most people have no idea how to enable it. Sure mandate it for Win11 certified (I hope that is what Microsoft is doing), but to block it for older products will just slow Win11 adoption.
i have a feeling thats what we're seeing with those "supports cpu" lists. the main doc they link from seems like its aimed at oems.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned that getting/running Win11 requires that Optional Diagnostics Data be turned on... giving MS full visibility of every web page you visit and every app you run :/
Just set firewall to drop traffic to ms?

Well, thats good to know, because I have a 6700K
Same. Irony is that I haven't used it since I installed Windows 10 on it over 4 years ago. I haven't been playing games and it's just plain easier to get shit done on my older PC (Gentoo/Debian) without having to deal with the update nonsense.

What a waste.

Just get real weird with it and make them regret the decision, show them things they can't unsee 👌

Seems pretty arbitrary and egregious. Why not release two versions? Because nobody would buy the more secure version and it wouldn't be cost effective for Microsoft?
The only incentive I can think of is Microsoft is going to push hard to prevent piracy off the Microsoft Store. Which is maybe their attempt to cordial developers to their store? The only other thing I can think of is anti linux since this could make it hard to install Linux or hard for Wine to run Windows applications.
I honestly think most of you are seriously overreacting. OMG Windows 11 won't run on my 20 year old toaster! HOW DARE YOU MICROSOFT!
My Ryzen 2700X is about 4 years old. Doesn't feel slow at all. Also, don't be surprised if Windows 10 becomes the new Windows XP. Microsoft has only themselves to blame.
The worst thing about there being a Windows 11 is people on the internet.
The worst thing about the internet is this post.
Considering operating systems are only ~10% of Microsoft's current portfolio and profit margin, it would appear that they do not care who it will negatively impact in regards to their customers.
You know how many companies would love to be in Microsoft's shoes in terms of Windows? There's so much revenue that can be had even if Windows is given away for free. The main reason Google made Android is to keep their search engine relevant. How many services and software does Microsoft need to keep relevant?

The only incentive I can think of is Microsoft is going to push hard to prevent piracy off the Microsoft Store. Which is maybe their attempt to cordial developers to their store? The only other thing I can think of is anti linux since this could make it hard to install Linux or hard for Wine to run Windows applications.

My Ryzen 2700X is about 4 years old. Doesn't feel slow at all. Also, don't be surprised if Windows 10 becomes the new Windows XP. Microsoft has only themselves to blame.

The worst thing about the internet is this post.

You know how many companies would love to be in Microsoft's shoes in terms of Windows? There's so much revenue that can be had even if Windows is given away for free. The main reason Google made Android is to keep their search engine relevant. How many services and software does Microsoft need to keep relevant?

I just wanted to correct you and say that your 2700X is actually 3 years old, since it was released in 2018. :)

Just set firewall to drop traffic to ms?

Easier said than done if they really want to get around you.

Have you evet tried blocking Discord? Thered lile a million little domain names and static IP addreddes it uses and they are constantly changing. You miss just one and the damn thing still works.

They can afford to put a dedicated team on turning it into a moving target, most of us cant afford a dedicated team to keep up with them.

Last edited:

Internet is only required for activation. Once windows is activated you dont need internet unless you trigger a new activation with hardware changes or whatever.

Intel: No Core CPUs prior to Coffee Lake are currently listed as supported as of 4:30 PM EST on 6/25. This includes all 6th Gen and 7th Gen CPUs. I feel genuinely bad for anyone who bought a Core i7-7700K. No Intel HEDT CPUs prior to Cascade Lake are supported.

My PC has many times the minimum requirements for Windows 11. It is very, very fast with tons of left over horsepower. My only sin? i7-7700K. This is maddening.

have you evet yried blocking Discord? Thered lile a million little domain names and static IP addreddes it uses and they are constantly changing. You miss just one and the damn thing still works.

They can afford to put a dedicated team ob tuenibg it into a movibg target, most of us cant afford a dedicated team to keep up with them.
Most firewalls support FQDN addresses now makes it much easier.

Have you evet tried blocking Discord? Thered lile a million little domain names and static IP addreddes it uses and they are constantly changing. You miss just one and the damn thing still works.

They can afford to put a dedicated team on turning it into a moving target, most of us cant afford a dedicated team to keep up with them.
Blacklist everything and selectively enable. Accept this will cause some pain as you have to enable things every time you want to access it.

I get everyone wants to be mad at microsoft about this.. but what about being mad at Intel / AMD..etc?? who sold processors with gaping security holes for what 20~yrs?

Maybe.... ???? after a gawd damn oil pipeline got forced to shut down after ransomware attack it is time to consider requiring additional security mechanisms to be present in hardware that will run modern Operating Systems?

I'm 1 for 3 at my house my HTPC (which I honestly haven't used in 8mos) and more annoyingly my wife's pc do not meet microsoft's stated proc support (i7-4770K and a ??? I don't actually remember it might? have a 2500K) oh well... I probably will just use my Roku or Chromecast or?? and retire the HTPC... I can't actually read the display when In windows from the couch anymore so it is super annoying to use anyways... and I guess do something else about the wife's computer before 2025~ I guess. In 2025 that I7 would be 12~ years old .... so, meh I guess... On the upside my Ryzen 5 3600 is good to go... in all likely hood it will be my wife's ryzen 5 by 2025 =p and I will build something new.

Blacklist everything and selectively enable. Accept this will cause some pain as you have to enable things every time you want to access it.
That’s actually how you are supposed to do it. The only default rule enabled on my new equipment out of the box is the following:
Any, any, deny.

i installed it on an optiplex 5040 today, i5-6500/8GB/128GB w/tpm 1.2 and secure boot, and it runs great. BUT they already revised the minimums since yesterdays announcement. so, since its months away, maybe it will get changed again.
I have a 7040, and the tool says I'm ineligible, but I will wait to see if I receive an auto-upgrade prompt just like I did from 7 on my previous systems.

I have no desire to be first here, but after ditching may ancient sandy bridge server for this, I expect a little better support!

That’s actually how you are supposed to do it. The only default rule enabled on my new equipment out of the box is the following:
Any, any, deny.

Incoming, certainly!

Outgoing though? I mean, you'd have to manually whitelisy every new webpage you visit.

That is certainly possible, but would be a major pain it the ass, and may not pass the Wife Acceptance Factor...

Incoming, certainly!

Outgoing though? I mean, you'd have to manually whitelisy every new webpage you visit.

That is certainly possible, but would be a major pain it the ass, and may not pass the Wife Acceptance Factor...
You don’t whitelist pages you whitelist services. Like you have pre rules that block all incoming and outgoing to say Russia and China, then you block all incoming and outgoing to non authorized VPN’s, then you say allow port 80 http and port 443 https traffic. Where you are defining not just the port but also the service acceptable on the ports. And you work down from there.
Then where you get into the super nitty gritty stuff isn’t your PC’s it’s your IoT and tablets. That’s where the attack surfaces are because most of those are fire and forget devices that developers have huge holes in. So you get super specific on their accepted I/O and that keeps your functionality but blocks most of their telemetry gathering.

Last edited:
Can't wait for Linux gaming to work a little more out of the box.
Honestly it works good enough now that I am comfortable switching.

If you play a lot of online games it's not great because of anti-cheat. But for single player games I would say a good 75-80% of games I've tried work out of box on Steam.

You do get some glitches sometimes, which can usually be fixed by adjusting config settings. Very rarely do I find a game that just doesn't work (but it does happen).

I think the way to make it work better is just to use it. Submit bug reports, write reviews on ProtonDB, etc. and show developers that there is a market.

Things don't change by themselves, you have to show your support and make it happen.

I recently jumped ship from Windows, when I was having USB disconnect issues on my new build. I am now running Linux MINT on my new gaming PC. There are lots of games to play, except newly released games not made for linux. But I have an xbox series x for those games.

Honestly wiith so many ransonware attacks all on windows machines, its a huge problem right now. I see people jumping into Linux just for the security flaws of windows.

Back