Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more (UPDATE - added source for Windows 10 retirement date)

I remember using the first version of IE. It came with the weird little add-on disk for Win95 called Microsoft Plus. My school was giving it out for free if you bought a Win95 disk. It was super quick, but it was missing features that Netscape and the built-in browsers for AOL/Prodigy/etc. had. I don't remember why, but I hated Netscape back then, so I stuck with IE. I think I just liked how it was faster. It wasn't until IE version 3 that it was finally up to par.
I remember that. IE 4.0 had that dreaded active desktop. Wanted to make local browsing look like the web including single click to open. Ugh!
Netscape was still preferred but Opera was choice for the speed freaks. Of course a lot of users were still on DUN at home. I was lucky to have fast internet at work back then and got cable (@home network) in 1997. 10Mbps down / 768kbps upstream! 🙃

I remember that. IE 4.0 had that dreaded active desktop. Wanted to make local browsing look like the web including single click to open. Ugh!
Netscape was still preferred but Opera was choice for the speed freaks. Of course a lot of users were still on DUN at home. I was lucky to have fast internet at work back then and got cable (@home network) in 1997. 10Mbps down / 768kbps upstream! 🙃

Well, I thought it was cool to integrate IE 4.0 into the Windows NT 4.0 desktop and it seemed to work well.

So, Microsoft just made Windows 11 official.

And... basically, it's a Windows 10 service pack. There are definitely some helpful features, like that smart multi-monitor support and better touch input, but it also feels like a slight touchup that borrows more than a few things from Apple (the app "dock," the softer window look, widgets). Even Snap Group seems a whole lot like Focus in macOS Monterey, although I suspect Apple and Microsoft couldn't look at each other's notes on that one.

Running Android apps on Windows would be great if they didn't come from Amazon's store.

It'll be a nice upgrade, then, but whatever market forces were at work before aren't going to change now.

Looks like no more labels in task bar?

From everything we've seen so far, it still looks like you can't choose to have labels show up on the task bar either, so it's all icons moving forward.

If true that is lame. I don't see the point in not being able to tell what folder you're going to click on, or having to double/triple click on something to pull up the right folder or file.

It seems the PC in my sig doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run Windows 11... :facepalm:

It seems the PC in my sig doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run Windows 11... :facepalm:

I wouldn't put much faith in what the little app says.
Here is a screenshot from the VM I created for the leaked Windows 11 ISO. I installed 10 and then upgraded to 11. When 10 was on there, the app said it was not compatible, yet it installed fine. Even after Windows 11 was already on there it still said that it was not compatible.
VirtualBox_Windows 11 Beta_24_06_2021_11_46_51.png

For testing purposes, I've already got the leaked ISO working on both an Athlon64 X2 and a Pentium D 930, which are both very close to the oldest Dual-Core CPUs from Intel and AMD.

I'm guessing the reason why the app is saying that it's not compatible is related to the TPM module. Most enthusiasts disable that in the BIOS. The requirement is apparently not actually enforced with the leaked ISO, but even if it became mandatory, it should be easy enough to bypass.

umm maybe its failing due being in a vm?! ive watched several and posted one vid that states you have to have tpm2 on intel or tpm on ryzen and it installs fine.

umm maybe its failing due being in a vm?! ive watched several and posted one vid that states you have to have tpm2 on intel or tpm on ryzen and it installs fine.

It didn't fail - it installed fine, despite having no TPM module in the VM. The only thing that "failed" was the health check app apparently giving bad info. Of course it's possible that the final build will be more strict with it's actual requirements.

VirtualBox_Windows 11 Beta_24_06_2021_12_11_54.png

Last edited:
It didn't fail - it installed fine, despite having no TPM module in the VM. The only thing that "failed" was the health check app apparently giving bad info. Of course it's possible that the final build will be more strict with it's actual requirements.

View attachment 368972
i didnt say its failing to install, i was replying about the check tool. tpm is listed as a requirement and that is what is giving the fail message, its posted in the other thread...
edit, this: https://hardforum.com/threads/windows-11-reveal-coming-june-24th.2010967/post-1045057236

You likely need to switch the TPM options in the bios if you have a modern pc that is not showing ready for win 11

Here is my Ryzen 5 3600 / Aorus Elite / RX580 / 16GB DDR4 machine good to go for win 11

win11_ready.png

The fact that Win 11 supposedly will have built in Android App support is interesting, but it leaves me asking why? Other than for development purposes, why would anyone ever run an Android app on a PC?

Also, one wonders if Bluestacks will survive.

turn on your tpm and try again...
I have a Z270-A board, I can't find a way to enable tpm so it seems only newer hardware will be compatible? I can't see how this would be the case for the full release, surely they would be limiting the amount of users that could upgrade? Or am I being dumb?

I have a Z270-A board, I can't find a way to enable tpm so it seems only newer hardware will be compatible? I can't see how this would be the case for the full release, surely they would be limiting the amount of users that could upgrade? Or am I being dumb?
i doubt it will stay that way and possibly....

I'm really curious about being able to run Android apps. One the biggest weaknesses of Windows 10 is the shitty selection of streaming apps. Outside of Netflix (which actually has a fantastic app), they're all trash. Most are just browser windows so they're limited to 1080p stereo.
Being able to run the Android versions of things like Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, etc. would be fantastic.

I'm really curious about being able to run Android apps. One the biggest weaknesses of Windows 10 is the shitty selection of streaming apps. Outside of Netflix (which actually has a fantastic app), they're all trash. Most are just browser windows so they're limited to 1080p stereo.
Being able to run the Android versions of things like Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, etc. would be fantastic.
could try them now on 10...
can already do it in 10, not sure why they think its a new feature now...
https://www.nirmaltv.com/2021/02/01/how-to-run-android-apps-on-windows-10/

No innovative new way or options to use your computer for work or play. UI is just more lipstick to what we have been doing for the last couple of decades. I would expect a 3d interface with 3d objects, options to visualize in VR with hand gestures, 3d rooms, customizable backgrounds or places. Placing your game stuff in a playroom, office for office work, artist room etc. to visually organize in a container type fashion wiping out the need for a start menu. Better support for natural voice commands, camera options for using facial expressions. Anyways this is basically a Windows 10. The video is not playing from c/net, it keeps saying it is having difficulties.

I doubt it man - any time you're dealing with HDCP handshakes, you have trouble emulating it. May need more than just a software workaround fir it.

I'm curious to check Comatibility on my systems tonght!

Not reading past posts so forgive me if I'm being a lazy pop-tard and reposting info, but here's the list of CPUs that Win 11 will support (and possibly only allow install on?) - honestly it's surprising they're not supporting further back than they are

AMD CPUs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

Intel CPUs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

Good thing finally upgraded, my i5 3570k build wouldn't have made the cut otherwise. Also glad I upgraded to a Synology for my Plex server - my Intel J1900 board/build I was using before (and was a WMC server before just a Plex server) wouldn't make the cut as well 😅

Last edited:
You may have to buy a TPM module check support site to see if the board has a TPM chip installed or if it has a TPM header if so you'd need to buy a TPM module to gain TPM functionality.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tpm-trusted-platform-module-header,5766.html
Before buying a TPM module, if you're on an intel platform, check if you have an option for 'Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT)' in your bios. It is typically disabled by default. It provides TPM functionality without the need for a separate TPM aftermarket module.

Not reading past posts so forgive me if I'm being a lazy pop-tard and reposting info, but here's the list of CPUs that Win 11 will support (and possibly only allow install on?) - honestly it's surprising they're not supporting further back than they are

AMD CPUs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

Intel CPUs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

Good thing finally upgraded, my i5 3570k build wouldn't have made the cut otherwise. Also glad I upgraded to a Synology for my Plex server - my Intel J1900 board/build I was using before (and was a WMC server before just a Plex server) wouldn't make the cut as well 😅
not supported does not equal incompatible....
someone around here said they had it on a c2d and an athlon x2...

not supported does not equal incompatible....
someone around here said they had it on a c2d and an athlon x2...

Hence the "(and possibly only allow install on?) " with a possibly and a question mark - might be able to install, might not be - we won't know until RTM build really what hw limitations they do or don't decide on/block off - but so far all we officially have is the list (that could very well be updated as time goes on to include more as well) so I posted it for people to see and keep an eye on.

Back