Windows 11 available on October 5

Question don't care if it takes 5 years to be replied to.

Do I need or can I use MadVR still in Windows 11 for my HDR movies and tv shows ? Normally in Windows 10 Auto HDR turns on when I move the window from my pc to my projector screen.

Question don't care if it takes 5 years to be replied to.

Do I need or can I use MadVR still in Windows 11 for my HDR movies and tv shows ? Normally in Windows 10 Auto HDR turns on when I move the window from my pc to my projector screen.
yes it works but i stopped bothering to use it as it was only on for upscaling. now i just use the default that mpc uses and it switches to hdr automatically.

Hmm seems odd since I've had basically 100% success rate over so many computers. You should uncheck the option to download updates during setup, as obviously that could cause some issues given the file swap.

Interesting. Seems like 2200.194 was the last version that fit on a single-layer DVD. If you still have a 22000.194 ISO you could use that, since it will auto update to 22000.282 anyway right after install. For a USB drive just use the media creation tool:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295

Ah I did have the update box checked so I guess I should try again
I still have a 2200.194 ISO I did not even look at the size just assumed it would not fit on a DVD-5 as Windows 10 has not fit on one for many years now.
OK I just looked at the size 5.12 GB (5,497,985,024 bytes) will not fit on a DVD-5

You can use the installation media tool from Microsoft to create an ISO for each:

Windows 10 >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Windows 11 >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

These will let you create a standalone ISO file.

Thank You

OK I just looked at the size 5.12 GB (5,497,985,024 bytes) will not fit on a DVD-5

I guess it depends on which ISO you are downloading then. The one I have only has Windows 11 Pro. If you have the multi-version ISO, it's larger.

Fucking hell 5+ GiB for an _install_ ISO?

Considering DVD is a technology that is over a quarter century old, it's amazing it can fit at all. A single-version ISO will fit.

22000rtmISO.png

If you are downloading the ISO that has:

Windows 11 Home
Windows 11 Home N
Windows 11 Home Single Language
Windows 11 Pro
Windows 11 Pro N
Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
Windows 11 Pro for Workstations N
Windows 11 Pro Education
Windows 11 Pro Education N
Windows 11 Education
Windows 11 Education N

All on the same ISO, then yeah, it will be bigger than 5Gb.....

Who still uses DVD? I don't even have a drive on my computer.

A fair number of business-oriented laptops still have them. Beyond that, I think it makes sense to have at least one USB DVD-RW drive handy to be passed around as needed, as they cost about $20 these days.

Whats a DVD?

Digital Versatile Disc or Digital Video Disc =

Who still uses DVD? I don't even have a drive on my computer.

Me! I'll never give up my physical media in this you pay for it but we can remove it at our discreation and still keep your $" society we live in now!

Considering DVD is a technology that is over a quarter century old, it's amazing it can fit at all. A single-version ISO will fit.

Where can I get a single version ISO?

Where can I get a single version ISO?

When you use the Media Creation tool to download the ISO, it allows you to select the version. If you leave the "Use the recommended options for this PC" checkbox checked, it will download the ISO that corresponds to your existing windows version (If you have Windows 10 or 11 Pro, it will download the Windows 11 Pro ISO).

Alternatively, you can use UUPDump to create a 22000.282 ISO for a specific version: https://uupdump.net/selectlang.php?id=b597b515-a6f6-492c-9cce-d969208f44b4

Just use the Media Creation Tool to make a USB stick. It works fine, is faster, and you can easily bypass the hardware check with the registry tweak I posted.

Beyond that, I think it makes sense to have at least one USB DVD-RW drive handy to be passed around as needed, as they cost about $20 these days.
Yes. I do have a 4K Blu-ray burner (external USB) because I rip discs sometimes and have it around just in case. I just never really use it.

Well, I just built this computer and you can barely even find cases with a drive bay anymore. I do have an external 4K Blu-Ray burner just in case, though.

Well, I just built this computer and you can barely even find cases with a drive bay anymore. I do have an external 4K Blu-Ray burner just in case, though.
Fractal Design R5 and R6 have 2 and 1, respectively. I store most of my data on my NAS, but the r5 has enough bays for me to put all my NAS drives in it'd and still have 2 empty bays, but my main case requirements are: be quiet and have 2 optical bays, though I could probably drop to 1 if I had to. The main reason I have 2 is because the 2nd one can rip my 4K movies to my NAS (and I don't want to use that one for anything else, since I'm not sure how easy it'd be to find another drive that can do it...but I it's been 3 years, so maybe you can do that with real 4k drives too.

No, you still can't (goddamn movie industry). I've only ripped 1080p discs so far, but the drive I got can rip 4K discs but you need to flash the firmware and I haven't got around to doing it yet.

yeah I bought 2 asus drives back in 2018 and manually flashed both of them to rip 4k uhd - put one in cold storage and the first one is still in use, just so that I have a backup in case prices go up or you can't find any anymore, etc (shit probably won't work when/if I ever go to use it lol)

Is HDR suppose to be on always with Windows 11 ? I did enable auto HDR but it stays on with my projector. Is this why ?

When I was on Windows 10 when I used MadVR it would only come on when I dragged a HDR movie onto the projector screen 2 monitor.

Is HDR suppose to be on always with Windows 11 ? I did enable auto HDR but it stays on with my projector. Is this why ?

When I was on Windows 10 when I used MadVR it would only come on when I dragged a HDR movie onto the projector screen 2 monitor.
if you turn it on, it stays on. if you turn auto-hdr on, then it will try and make non-hdr games look hdr when you play them BUT hdr has to be enabled for it to work. most players have been updated so they will enable hdr automatically and your tv/projector will switch to it if youre not in hdr mode.

if you turn it on, it stays on. if you turn auto-hdr on, then it will try and make non-hdr games look hdr when you play them BUT hdr has to be enabled for it to work. most players have been updated so they will enable hdr automatically and your tv/projector will switch to it if youre not in hdr mode.

What about MPC ? (Media Player Classic)

It's auto-HDR for non-HDR games, what you're thinking (HDR output from the PC automatically on/off when HDR content is/isn't playing - like on consumer media devices) isn't in Windows at all - unfortunately. To play HDR media in Windows - just like playing (most) HDR games - you manually turn HDR on before you play/watch - manually turn HDR off after.

It's auto-HDR for non-HDR games, what you're thinking (HDR output from the PC automatically on/off when HDR content is/isn't playing - like on consumer media devices) isn't in Windows at all - unfortunately. To play HDR media in Windows - just like playing (most) HDR games - you manually turn HDR on before you play/watch - manually turn HDR off after.

That sucks MadVR did it for me before in Windows 10.

Hmmm

I may go back to Windows 10.

That is stupid.

What about MPC ? (Media Player Classic)
thats what i use. i install it via the klite mega pack and accept all defaults. when i play hdr the tv flips over automatically(also set to 24hz), whether hdr is enabled in windows or not and when i close the player it flips back to sdr.

When you use the Media Creation tool to download the ISO, it allows you to select the version. If you leave the "Use the recommended options for this PC" checkbox checked, it will download the ISO that corresponds to your existing windows version (If you have Windows 10 or 11 Pro, it will download the Windows 11 Pro ISO).

Alternatively, you can use UUPDump to create a 22000.282 ISO for a specific version: https://uupdump.net/selectlang.php?id=b597b515-a6f6-492c-9cce-d969208f44b4
I went through the steps and I downloaded the zip file it created. What do I do from here?

Nevermind I got it, just need to unzip and then run the proper script.

Last edited:

Thanks for that link it's awesome. I'm running enterprise on one of my computers and this makes it easy to get that version.

Thanks for that link it's awesome. I'm running enterprise on one of my computers and this makes it easy to get that version.

Yeah it's pretty handy. It also makes for an easy way to install a Beta or Dev build without actually being part of the insider program.

Yeah it's pretty handy. It also makes for an easy way to install a Beta or Dev build without actually being part of the insider program.
One quick question, do you always get a complete bootable ISO to install no matter which build you choose?

One quick question, do you always get a complete bootable ISO to install no matter which build you choose?

The default option is to convert to ISO at the end of the script, yes, but there is also an option to not create the ISO.

I'm pretty impressed so far. Every game i'm playing seems to run better on 11 compared to my 10 install. I didn't install fresh or anything, just the in-place upgrade. It might be placebo, but I don't think it is.

The only thing i'm not liking is the new start menu. Everything else though seems like a decent improvement.

Steam seems to have issues, at least on my machine. After going to sleep, it's anyone's guess if the app will come back up or hang, not even letting me reboot. End up having to chicken switch it alot. In pace upgrade from the .iso. Had to get rid of the Realtek stuff in the driverstore to do it.

I upgraded to 11 on the 8th I believe. To be completely honest, this thread popping up today made me remember that I even did that. Its been such a non-event that I already forgot.

I think the first few days of not having a clock on my secondary displays in the task bar aside, I've been issue free. Lot of New World gameplay and VM use in VirtualBox. Its like nothing ever happened.

I'm in the Beta channel with the latest AMD chipset drivers as well, I like to keep up on that stuff. Smooth sailing.

I will be switching to 11, once I have my Alderlake parts. May as well take advantage of Intel's hardware accelerated thread director, in W11.

No, you still can't (goddamn movie industry). I've only ripped 1080p discs so far, but the drive I got can rip 4K discs but you need to flash the firmware and I haven't got around to doing it yet.
Mine did it by default (thanks to a bug that I"m sure has been subsequently fixed. I honestly don't care if it's a 4k Drive, since the only reason I'd buy one of those is if it made sense for backing stuff up, but I"m not sure it would. It's just easier to buy HD's and backup to those. But I do, oddly, backup my 4k rips to an external drive...so I've technically got 2 backups of each movie.

The Start Menu has something to be desired but you can customize the colors and it's way more functional than Windows 11 Start Menu except Drag and Drop is disabled but you can still pin programs right clicking on the Desktop Icons. You can Drag and Drop anything on the Task Bar though the best part about it is you can extend it unlike Redmond's Task Bar disaster.

Start is Back now called Start All Back for Windows 11 offers the Task Bar to be moveable on all four sides of the screen.

https://www.startallback.com/

4.99 for a lifetime key past the 30 day eval.

That is unbelievably ugly IMHO. The 11 start menu/task bar is fine and looks like something from this decade. If it works for you, all power to you.

TBH though, I find very little need to ever interact with the task bar icons and even less the actual start menu. Every program I launch by hitting the windows key with my left thumb and typing a few letters.

I use task icons for common stuff like the File Explorer and Chrome. But everything else I just hit Windows key and type, ends up being faster.

Back