Windows 11 available on October 5

The taskbar icon option to automatically show all the icons is gone. You have to click to show them each manually in the settings. But I just read online that all you have to do is drag the taskbar icon to the autohide arrow and it really show it permanently.
ah ok. that is easier than diggin in the settings.

Alright I tried it but I reverted back within the hour!
I was in Vermont on vacation and I only had my laptop (AMD Ryzen) and I did not want to screw up my only PC I had with me at the time.
Anyway what is the non beta version?
I got one ISO on 10/08/2021 I downloaded another one today but it is the same file
What is the newest build I got them from the TechBench by WZT

Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 17-29-14 Hash List.png

Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 17-22-48 TechBench by WZT (v4 1 1).png
Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 17-23-30 TechBench by WZT (v4 1 1)(2).jpg

I've often wondered how many copies of Windows are sold via normal retail means vs. systems that come bundled with the OS. Well, that and bulk licenses so an entire company can upgrade via their IT department. I remember lots of people buying disks and upgrading their home PC's to Windows 95/98, but I don't know any casual users who have done that in many, many years.

People upgraded back then because there were real improvements to the OS that made it worth it.

I remember buying win98 the day it came out so I could use multiple monitors. I was rocking with a 19 and 17 inch crt, baby!

I got one ISO on 10/08/2021 I downloaded another one today but it is the same file
What is the newest build

The current version of Windows 11 is 22000.282, which has been in beta for the last week but was officially released today.

But ANY 22000 version will update to the latest version automatically via Windows Update (the update will appear as a cumulative security update), so there should not be any issue simply installing from that 22000.194 ISO and then running windows update.

Alright I tried it but I reverted back within the hour!
I was in Vermont on vacation and I only had my laptop (AMD Ryzen) and I did not want to screw up my only PC I had with me at the time.
What is the newest build I got them from the TechBench by WZT

View attachment 405240

View attachment 405245View attachment 405243
When I check VLSC the latest build I have is Windows 11 21H2 Oct 2021 (Oct 9 was the listed release date)
SHA: 6939B236E6976F6EEAEA045DE805801F312700300C8359D17C0ABF31B35371E3

If you used the Media Creation tool then you have to do a lot of stuff to make that work on unsupported hardware, if you download the ISO and create your own bootable USB with something like Rufus then you should be able to do it. But check the Mini PC, a whole crapload of the cheap ones shipped with 32bit UEFI BIOSes on 64-bit chips to save costs and that really messes with the bootloaders.
Windows 11 is running great on the mini PC. Got it setup last night, everything seems to work.

And the install was not that hard, I used the Media Creation Tool to make a USB stick, and then just needed to add a few registry keys during the install.

I prefer this way (as it's Microsoft approved) and not doing any hacks.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-bypass-the-windows-11-tpm-20-requirement/

Windows 11 is running great on the mini PC. Got it setup last night, everything seems to work.

And the install was not that hard, I used the Media Creation Tool to make a USB stick, and then just needed to add a few registry keys during the install.

I prefer this way (as it's Microsoft approved) and not doing any hacks.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-bypass-the-windows-11-tpm-20-requirement/
That is way easier than the instructions I had... Yeah bookmarking that one.

Thanks!

People upgraded back then because there were real improvements to the OS that made it worth it.
The last time I paid for Windows was when I built my Haswell (i7-4790K) PC Windows 7 Professional
Now I use the HWID tool it works and Microsoft is a multi billion dollar company so you know screw them LoL!

Anyway to get it to run on my old Haswell based Dell Precision T1700? It has a Xeon e3-1245v3 and TPM 1.2 (I think)

Anyway to get it to run on my old Haswell based Dell Precision T1700? It has a Xeon e3-1245v3 and TPM 1.2 (I think)
download the iso, mount it, run setup and accept the "warning" message to upgrade.
also, it transplants between hardware just as easily as 10 and that also skips the tpm check.

Another way to go is to extract a Windows 10 ISO and a Windows 11 ISO into different folders. Copy the large "install.wim" file out of the "sources" folder of the Windows 11 install files and drop it into the "sources" folder of the Windows 10 install files (replacing the "install.wim" file that is already there). Then run the setup.exe from the Windows 10 install files. By doing this, you are basically installing Windows 11 using the Windows 10 installer and bypassing all Windows 11 specific requirements in the process. The Installer even begins saying "Installing Windows 10" but when it's done, you'll have Windows 11 on your computer. Most of my older computers were installed using this method, and it allows for easy upgrades from Windows 10 21H1.

it transplants between hardware just as easily as 10 and that also skips the tpm check.

Transplant as in install on a different machine and then put the hard drive (or SSD) in the intended target machine?

Another way to go is to extract a Windows 10 ISO and a Windows 11 ISO into different folders. Copy the large "install.wim" file out of the "sources" folder of the Windows 11 install files and drop it into the "sources" folder of the Windows 10 install files (replacing the "install.wim" file that is already there). Then run the setup.exe from the Windows 10 install files. By doing this, you are basically installing Windows 11 using the Windows 10 installer and bypassing all Windows 11 specific requirements in the process. The Installer even begins saying "Installing Windows 10" but when it's done, you'll have Windows 11 on your computer. Most of my older computers were installed using this method, and it allows for easy upgrades from Windows 10 21H1.

I can do that easy enough!
I will make an Acronis image first incase I screw something up so I won't have to do a full reinstall and reconfigure everything the install is like 10 minutes but getting it like I like is a few days (I get bored and just do other stuff LoL)

My main IT admin basically has had a discussion with several other admins about what the "may not receive updates" will probably mean.
The final decision was that Microsoft probably has code in the pipeline that physically will not work without a TPM and those updates and features will not be available for download to prevent technical support issues. One of them is really firm on VPN and office suite interactions(especially teams) will most likely not work without TPM in the next few years.

I'm not Lakados so past a point this topic becomes greek to me. I thought this might be curious to some of the more tech-inclined but not technical wizards among us.

Transplant as in install on a different machine and then put the hard drive (or SSD) in the intended target machine?
yup. during early testing i transplanted a drive between 10-12 different systems from a 2500 to a 7000something, no complaints just the "setting up hardware" screen on boot up.

Yeah, I did this on my last rebuild. It was basically a new computer, new mobo + cpu + gpu. Just kept the case and power supply.

Wanted to see if it would even work, so I put in the same M.2 SSD and Windows 10 booted up fine. It took a little longer than normal, but everything was working.

The new chipset driver and Windows 11 update fixed my TRX40/3060x L3 cache. Not seeing max boost clock of 4.5ghz. MSI has an updated bios I need to install which says support Windows 11. Will do my other machines tomorrow and update this bios.

Correction: After typing above, Cinebench R23 Single core, I started seeing 4.55ghz on a couple of cores -> All is good.

Last edited:
The new chipset driver and Windows 11 update fixed my TRX40/3060x L3 cache. Not seeing max boost clock of 4.5ghz. MSI has an updated bios I need to install which says support Windows 11. Will do my other machines tomorrow and update this bios.

Correction: After typing above, Cinebench R23 Single core, I started seeing 4.55ghz on a couple of cores -> All is good.
those "supports 11" bioses are usually the same as the last one just with tpm enabled by default. i havent bothered with mine yet...

My Asus Crosshair VI Hero and Extreme mainboards (x370), yes...

my Asus Crosshair VII Hero mainboard (x470), no - that one also has an AGESA update :)
ah, i think my board agesa update came after, havent applied it yet....

Is it a risk to run Windows 11 on unsupported hardware? Even if you still get security updates on Windows updates.

Is it a risk to run Windows 11 on unsupported hardware? Even if you still get security updates on Windows updates.
The closer it is to MS's requirements, the better I'd think. Like they threw out that seemingly arbitrary "8th gen Intel or newer" but I have a 1st gen Surface Book, i5-6xxx, TPM 2.0 and Secureboot, and Win11 clean installed fine and updates fine, and is absolutely 100% functional. I can't imagine them doing anything that would break that.

Trying to hammer it in to an i7-2600K rig or something, I'd say the chances are higher they release some update that causes an issue in the future.

The closer it is to MS's requirements, the better I'd think. Like they threw out that seemingly arbitrary "8th gen Intel or newer" but I have a 1st gen Surface Book, i5-6xxx, TPM 2.0 and Secureboot, and Win11 clean installed fine and updates fine, and is absolutely 100% functional. I can't imagine them doing anything that would break that.

Trying to hammer it in to an i7-2600K rig or something, I'd say the chances are higher they release some update that causes an issue in the future.

Yeah I have a i7 7700k.

The worst issue you can run into will just be lack of driver support.

This is not an issue in practice. Windows 11 taps into the same driver database as Windows 10, so you get driver updates from Windows Update even for unsupported hardware. In any situation where a driver is not automatically available via Windows Update, drivers from Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, and even Windows Vista also still work fine with Windows 11, as long as they are 64-bit drivers. Vista dates back to when 64-bit CPUs were just becoming mainstream so even Pentium 4 / Athlon 64 era computers are likely to at least have Vista drivers available. I have not yet found a single instance where a piece of hardware worked with Windows 10 but didn't work with Windows 11. You have to go all the way back to XP-era hardware before you are likely to run into actual driver issues - same as with Windows 10.

All the old computers I've put Windows 11 on (including many Core2 era computers) are stable and run at least as well as Windows 10 did. Ironically the only computer I've had any issues with is the one computer that actually meets the requirements (my 5900X rig), which suffered from the L3 cache and CPPC issues until they were fixed a few days ago.

What I really dislike about Windows 11 is the way it sets default apps why can't it be easy like Windows 10 ?

Maybe I just don't see the setting or can find the right one. I don't know.

I can post a screenshot if need be to show what I mean.

How do you get rid of this? The yellow circled thing.
Your Start Menu replacement is probably adding it. It's the old Win10 Action Center icon which isn't in Win11. If you were about to worry about *anything* being to the right of the clock, in Win11 it shows a number when there's notifications but otherwise doesn't show. It's mildly weird since it means the time/date will shift over.

What I really dislike about Windows 11 is the way it sets default apps why can't it be easy like Windows 10 ?

Maybe I just don't see the setting or can find the right one. I don't know.

I can post a screenshot if need be to show what I mean.

So much more difficult in Windows 11 :(

default apps.jpg

So much more difficult in Windows 11 :(

View attachment 406099
This is easily the most incredibly obnoxious change in all of Windows 11. I hate it with every fiber of my being. I've gone back to 10 for now. Having way too many issues with my AMD Ryzen CPU. I couldn't even shut down the computer without using shutdown /s in the command line. And then I'd randomly get slow window drag which required restarting Windows Explorer via task manager ... and much to my lack of surprise it's a rampant problem. I'll wait a while before going back go 11.

They ruined the task bar on the right! No more clicking on the speaker to change the volume (easily) and the calendar is gone! Beyond ridiculous. It's getting to the point where it would be more fun to tear open a late season bald face hornet nest with a fire poker with zero protection against the attack that immediately follows! ;-)

They ruined the task bar on the right! No more clicking on the speaker to change the volume (easily) and the calendar is gone! Beyond ridiculous. It's getting to the point where it would be more fun to tear open a late season bald face hornet nest with a fire poker with zero protection against the attack that immediately follows! ;-)
click the date/time and it opens calendar.
1635106478877.png

click once and its right there at the bottom.
1635106501917.png

They changed the way that you switch between devices by clicking the sound icon. They made a lot of very inconvenient obnoxious changes for no reason.
yes but thats not what you said. yes kinda.
ps: click the arrow at the end of the slider to switch devices.

1635109626329.png

Yeah, the amount of clicks to change web browsers is insane. Like in what instance would I want to open .html files with one program and .htm in another?

Back