Windows 11 available on October 5

I'm running it on new hardware and it seems to cause various programs (including outlook and various browser platforms) to be super sluggish for some reason. It's obviously not the finished product but still.

Does the Epic launcher work with Windows 11?
yes
I'm running it on new hardware and it seems to cause various programs (including outlook and various browser platforms) to be super sluggish for some reason. It's obviously not the finished product but still.
you are the first ive seen complain about that, something else going on as they are perfectly fine for most people.

yes

you are the first ive seen complain about that, something else going on as they are perfectly fine for most people.
Interesting I'll need to dig deeper then - I do use Chrome as my main browser and perhaps Microsoft does not like that. Outlook is the weird thing but I'll look to figure out what's going on and report back.

Interesting I'll need to dig deeper then - I do use Chrome as my main browser and perhaps Microsoft does not like that. Outlook is the weird thing but I'll look to figure out what's going on and report back.
could be extensions. i have edge, chrome and ff on my 11 and they all seem the same BUT i dont use any extensions...

If you upgrade via the assistants - it'll retain all of your files, settings, etc. In many cases, even custom things you might have added/tweaked. For instance, I can still get to the Control Panel via a right click. That's something I did in Windows 10 that carried over. All your personal folders (videos, pictures, music, etc.) and whatnot will be untouched. Outside of a handful very specific programs, everything will run the same way, too.
People have joked about it being like an elaborate skin for Windows 10 and that's isn't entirely wrong. You can install it the same time it takes to install most Windows 10 biannual updates.
Don't like it? You can go back to Windows 10 quickly and easily. I'm not saying I think it's great. I'm not even sure I actually even like it. BUT if you have supported hardware it's very easy to try it out and see what you think. Why trust some random YouTuber when it's free (and quick/easy) to make up your own mind?

I've been running it on my main rig and this Dell XPS 15 L512X since the initial beta drop. My main rig is "supported" (#1 in the list below, and now with the new Windows 11 BIOS installed for the Crosshair VII mobo as well), and the laptop is not (Core i7-3632QM quad core w/hyperhtreading, 16G RAM, Intel video with nVidia 640m discrete GPU Optimus, 512G mSATA SSD for OS and apps and 1TB HDD for data storage, internal BluRay Reader/DVD writer, TPM 1.2 module, UEFI Secure Boot).

My main rig has weird issues with sudden sluggishness that seem to happen when doing almost anything in File Explorer. It's really weird. Performance is now and has been all over the place the entire time - mostly fine with weird slowdowns in unexpected places. Gaming performance has been fine, with the slowdowns limited to my times doing productivity work loads. My plan now that RTM is out is to fresh install the OS and see how it goes.

The unsupported Dell laptop, on the other hand, has worked almost flawlessly the entire time. I say almost because I got bit in the @$$ by that update bug that killed the start menu. I had to roll back the update to repair it and that took a few hours. Perils of beta testing, and all that... at least I was able to recover it cleanly :)

When I installed the last version a few weeks ago, I had some unusual hitches in Windows Explorer. It was almost like my PC was hunting for something on a spinning disk that had powered down. I don't even have a spinning disk, but it was a similar pause. It did that 1-2 times over the course of a day, but it never did it again. I can only guess it was caching something or building something in the background that only needed to occur 1-2 times.

For the folks installing it today - is the version # that's coming over 22000.194?

So far I am liking it. I played around with it for about a hour yesterday. So far haven't run into any kind of issue on either my desktop or laptop.

View attachment 400463

No turning back now!!!! I'm upgraded!!! my biggest concerns are older games will they work? So I fired up Deus EX Mankind Divided it works when the Windows resize the animation is different it's like a rubber band when it expands and compacts so far my eyes are not burning like with Windows 10 at launch. The Windows install didn't ask for any key or any information and it was pretty quick on my Samsung 850 512 gig ssd which is my main OS.
yup, looks like 11. the upgrade never asks for a key 'cause you have one present. if you run into any old games that dont want to run, d/l and install the dx 9/10 pack, should get them going.

edited speeling

Last edited:
Untitled-1.jpg

Yeah I'll keep it lol had some files showing on the last screenshot =)
I don't even care about the Task Bar location Deus EX Mankind Divided still fires up and my Tim Swenny
endorsed Epic launcher games don't have to be reinstalled.
Nvidia Control panel well there isn't a right click but it's in the system tray anyway.

View attachment 400468

Yeah I'll keep it lol had some files showing on the last screenshot =)
I don't even care about the Task Bar location Deus EX Mankind Divided still fires up and my Tim Swenny
endorsed Epic launcher games don't have to be reinstalled.
Nvidia Control panel well there isn't a right click but it's in the system tray anyway.
forgot to hide the pron?
nv control panel is probably under the "see more options" section, thats where amds is now.
edit: moved a "

Last edited:
Dark Themes are just too harsh on the eyes like the saturated blue theme that is selectable I settled on that almost teal theme that isn't really teal.
I do miss my Task bar I mean I used to have it extened like 4-5 inches on the right side just to keep stuff centered on the web browser I'm using.
Mind you still using a 21.5" ASUS for surfing 2011 model but own like 6 gaming monitors. I really like the folders and the new icons though they look nice the look clean anyway
the ones on the main drive look kinda lego like but i could get used to them. All of the right click features on the start button are still there same as Win 10 like Disk Managment and Shutdown and Restart.

PC World doesn't recommend it they been around for like 50 years.
I watched the video, but his complaints seem kind of silly. It takes literally 5 seconds to understand how the right-click menu has changed, and the new UI is actually better and much quicker.

Yes, there could be bugs, but there are sometimes bugs will normal patch updates. As far as I've seen it is pretty stable. Only had one issue when on login this popup error came up but the text was cropped so I couldn't see what the error was.

And on Epic Games one time I clicked to launch a game and it didn't launch. But this could be an Epic problem, I know that has happened before on Windows 10 (on another machine). So overall it looks pretty good.

My icons on Epic are huge now no idea why like 10 game icons take up the entire screen for the Epic launcher might be for higher rez screens like 4K.

Anybody know what the final release build number is? I upgraded my insider build but the new build didn't carry over the pcie or smb bus drivers correctly. Re-install of the Intel inf drivers fixed it though.

Nvidia's panel applet location depends on which version of the driver you install. The "normal" version of the driver places it in the control panel. The DCH version (which is the default one on Nvidia's site) adds a UWP Nvidia app. It's one reason I tend to always get Nvidia drivers from Guru3D. That way I don't have to hunt for a the non-DCH driver because I don't want a UWP app.

Anybody know what the final release build number is? I upgraded my insider build but the new build didn't carry over the pcie or smb bus drivers correctly. Re-install of the Intel inf drivers fixed it though.

I'm wondering this, too. 22000.194 has been available for nearly a month and I haven't seen any updates today. I'm left to assume that's the version they're deploying to everyone.

My icons on Epic are huge now no idea why like 10 game icons take up the entire screen for the Epic launcher might be for higher rez screens like 4K.
thats how it is now, theyre rows of 5 and they scale with the windows size.
ps: check your version number for those guys above. nm, see below(edit)

Last edited:
22000.194 is the release build. It went from the Beta channel to the Release Preview channel and then it was released. Any 22000 build will auto update to 22000.194 via Windows Update.

did your last beta build label it as beta?! im still on the beta but its not indicated as such and i dont remember if it did before...

All of the Dev builds that I've tried have been labeled as "Insider Preview", but none of the 22000 beta or release preview builds that I've used have had any beta or preview branding.

All of the Dev builds that I've tried have been labeled as "Insider Preview", but none of the 22000 beta or release preview builds that I've used have had any beta or preview branding.
ah thnx. its been a while since moving up to the 22000s, wasnt sure/couldnt remember....
i just noticed that there is no mention of it in my "about" section, its not like im in there often.

I can't live without the side task bar still keeping Win 11 but made a 3 1/2" " space to the right.
Is there a app that can pin down the Google chrome browser from moving? I reset my system and the space remains there when I open the browser
I have a post it note to remind me if I forget I just like my text images centered on the screen instead of reading left to right from corner to corner.
You could use the Edge browser and use the newly side tabs and expand that but it's not the same.

Dark theme still looks non-professionally designed to me, like a cheap theme from a decade ago. I can't believe it. Some segments of the system are improved design wise, but there are way too many unacceptable decisions imo.

It's not available in VLSC yet wondering how that is going to work for me, it needs secure boot and all that jazz, but you don't get that when flashing a stick from an ISO. So I wonder if they are just going to release a tool like they did for the Win10 Media Creation only for Win 11 and have different versions available out the gate there.
I'm good to go with my fairly recent build. Hardware is good to go. Like most Windows upgrades I worry about old software support. Playing ancient games that including a couple that were released 21 years ago. Windows not DOS. I know I must be possessed but I only want to deal with steam and the like as little as possible and only when I have to. I'm an old fart... :)

I'm good to go with my fairly recent build. Hardware is good to go. Like most Windows upgrades I worry about old software support. Playing ancient games that including a couple that were released 21 years ago. Windows not DOS. I know I must be possessed but I only want to deal with steam and the like as little as possible and only when I have to. I'm an old fart... :)
if the games work in 10, they should work fine in 11. every ancient thing ive tried has worked. you might need to install old dx versions though...

Nothing as far as app compatibility goes changed with Windows 10 64-bit vs Windows 11. My old games like Total Annihilation (1997) still run fine.

The only exceptions are 16-bit games and other software (mostly DOS games). Windows 10 32-bit was the last version with really good 16-bit app support. There is no 32-bit version of Windows 11.

Nothing as far as app compatibility goes changed with Windows 10 64-bit vs Windows 11. My old games like Total Annihilation (1997) still run fine.

The only exceptions are 16-bit games and other software (mostly DOS games). Windows 10 32-bit was the last version with really good 16-bit app support. There is no 32-bit version of Windows 11.

Alas, DOSBox is now (pretty much) "The Way."

Alas, DOSBox is now (pretty much) "The Way."
I wouldn't say alas, it is a better way of doing things. The 16-bit compatibility in 32-bit Windows using the NTVDM had real issues since it was a compatibility layer, not full emulation of the older system and couldn't give the hardware access that DOS stuff was used to. DOSBox is a full out emulator and thus can. When things get that old and that different, emulation is the way to do it. Better compatibility, as well as isolation. Really MS should just license out DOSBox and integrate it.

I think I'll wait for Service Pack 1...I've gotten used to the W10 interface...W11 seems too radical of a departure in terms of layout/design

Happy???? Accident, Dell botched the licensing on my last order of laptops, 2 of the 40 didn’t have my Edu license applied and shipped with pro. So when popping them on the bench they started downloading 11 out the gate, so these 2 users get to be testers….. this is gonna get weird.

Back