Windows 11 available on October 5

Yeah I'm not upgrading this OS will give people tiks head to toe.

Last edited:
rofl. people watching all these windows 11 sucks videos why not try it for yourself see how you like it? I hated windows 10 early preview builds when they started so many bugs. I took the plunge with windows 11, I have had 0, literally 0 crashes since I have tested it. Now I switched out of developer preview. I get it when new windows comes out its time to hate everything for some people. But seriously its not that bad. It's hands down faster then windows 10 from my experience and center bar just works better on my 43 inch wide screen but you can move it lol.

It's also worth mentioning that some minor things like moving the taskbar are probably in work- there is already dev response on that and a hundred other things on the feedback hub. Oh yeah- the feedback hub actually works, you can search issues, make new ones, and the devs have actually been stating their intentions and replying to 'bug or intended behavior' stuff. Every issue I've went to enter had already had a thread made, and all but one were already in action by dev team (and all minor stuff like moving the taskbar).

rofl. people watching all these windows 11 sucks videos why not try it for yourself see how you like it? I hated windows 10 early preview builds when they started so many bugs. I took the plunge with windows 11, I have had 0, literally 0 crashes since I have tested it. Now I switched out of developer preview. I get it when new windows comes out its time to hate everything for some people. But seriously its not that bad. It's hands down faster then windows 10 from my experience and center bar just works better on my 43 inch wide screen but you can move it lol.
Eh some of us just don't get excited for new windows because often they do nothing worthwhile. All the crap they did with the game mode never really gave much of a benefit. And of course there was the DX12 exclusive that took a long time to be worth upgrading for.

I have been running it since the beta has been available.

Negatives:
Fixed position task bar. (Have an oled, worked around by setting my side monitor as primary display)
Explorer is glitchy and likes to hitch when browsing through folders.
New right click dialogue is a mess - The icons for copy and paste randomly stop working.
I don't love the new start menu.
Explorer should be tabbed by now.

Positives:
The centered task bar has grown on me.

I don't hate it, but I really wish it were more customizable. Personally I wouldn't mind their UI team was put before a firing squad and replaced with a team knowing they are next if they continue bastardizing it.

Microsoft has re-released the PC Health Check app. Check to see if your hardware can run Windows 11. After updating BIOS, GPT, secure boot and such, it said my hardware could run Windows 11. Also confirmed by a third-party app.

Downloaded 11 and installed. Played with it for a time but wasn't a fan. Thankfully the return to Windows 10 was really easy. Might try 11 later on after it gels and releases to the public.

https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp

Does it make my software more snappy? Games play better? Less bugs and hitches? Updating less painful and not forced after a period of time? Supports better multi-monitor support? HDR actually is usable on the desktop? Better scaling of UI for 4K and software programs? Does it have less built in spyware? More secure by having less data grabbing advertisements coming through to your desktop?

I could care less:
Rounded windows -> BS (Big S...)
Center Task bar -> Whippy dodo
New centered Start Menu -> WTF???->Another click required to show the full menu???-> huh?

I have not seen any performance comparisons in various tasks from Office Applications, Web Applications, Gaming, VR and the list continues on the real meat and potato of any new OS. Seems like most are concerned about the adornments over any real substance. Reminds me of the Christmas Tree lighted PCs, and how your cables must be iron press and precisely curved and colored matched and not too long or not too short or not block any LED light and and and otherwise your PC is $. . . .

Last edited:

Must be with the set 472.12

I hate videos like that. A bunch of mumbling just to utter one sentence that isn't even correct.

Every Nvidia driver since 471.11 has been "fully Windows 11 compatible" with actual WDDM 3.0 support. That driver was released like 3 months ago. I'm also testing many older systems that don't have (nor will ever have) Windows 11 drivers. The Core 2 Quad rig that I'm running Windows 11 on is using video drivers from Windows Vista and it works fine.

The only feature that I know of that actually makes use of WDDM 3.0 is Android app support (which won't be available in the release version of Windows 11 anyway). WDDM 3.0 will give Android apps the ability to manage their own video RAM directly so that almost no performance penalty is incurred. It's not known yet if WDDM 3.0 is actually required for running Android apps or if they will simply run slower without.

Does it make my software more snappy?

You expect that a new OS will make things more "snappy"? This would be almost completely dependent on your hardware, not the OS.

Games play better?

Game mode is improved to give the game more priority over resources. That doesn't necessarily translate into improved performance unless your game performance was previously held back by tasks running in the background. This benefits slower computers much more than fast computers, because there is more demand for the fewer available resources. I have an older laptop that is 2c/4t, and background tasks can bog it down. Game mode actually made a difference in this case. Running a 8-16 core CPU? You probably won't notice a difference. You don't see a difference in benchmarks because, unlike the real world, most don't have background tasks running while performing benchmarks.

Supports better multi-monitor support? HDR actually is usable on the desktop?

Auto-HDR is pretty nice actually. I usually just left HDR turned off in Windows 10 because it made SDR content look terrible. Auto-HDR directly addresses this.

You expect that a new OS will make things more "snappy"? This would be almost completely dependent on your hardware, not the OS.

Game mode is improved to give the game more priority over resources. That doesn't necessarily translate into improved performance unless your game performance was previously held back by tasks running in the background. This benefits slower computers much more than fast computers, because there is more demand for the fewer available resources. I have an older laptop that is 2c/4t, and background tasks can bog it down. Game mode actually made a difference in this case. Running a 8-16 core CPU? You probably won't notice a difference. You don't see a difference in benchmarks because, unlike the real world, most don't have background tasks running while performing benchmarks.

Auto-HDR is pretty nice actually. I usually just left HDR turned off in Windows 10 because it made SDR content look terrible. Auto-HDR directly addresses this.
Exactly! That is what should be looked at, compared, tested and broadcasted. The utter mediocrity now days of what is considered important, talked about, shown etc. is getting ridiculous in my opinion.

Windows 10 with CPU at 100% either through rendering or mining will fall flat on opening Office 365 applications such as Excel and Outlook -> PIA even when those applications using 100% CPU are place in low priority and system ram is not even remotely being fully used yet the system hangs on new programs being opened unless you reduce the CPU load and the program will then finish starting up. Pretty pissed poor.

I look forward to Auto-HDR since most higher end gaming and professional monitors and virtually all HDTVs have HDR now, it is inexcusable for Windows to have blotched this up for so long.

It's not really a new OS. It's Windows 10 with some UI tweaks, could have been a patch update. Just like Win 7 was just Vista with a new UI, and Win 10 is the same as Win 8 with some minor changes.

Honestly, I would bet money there is still some DOS code deep inside the OS that is really running the whole show.

That said, I will still install it (at least on my second machine I still use Windows on). I am not against progress, and I do think the new UI at least looks nicer. But you can't expect too much.

It's not really a new OS. It's Windows 10 with some UI tweaks, could have been a patch update. Just like Win 7 was just Vista with a new UI, and Win 10 is the same as Win 8 with some minor changes.

Honestly, I would bet money there is still some DOS code deep inside the OS that is really running the whole show.

That said, I will still install it (at least on my second machine I still use Windows on). I am not against progress, and I do think the new UI at least looks nicer. But you can't expect too much.
Probably all true :D. Usually, precedent, history etc. bla bla bla. A New Version number indicated actually a significant New Version of the OS, this looks more like lipstick in the end. Or no one is exposing the real potential for the newer OS/Version as in faster SSD performance and so on. I will most likely update all my computers that support TPM 2.

Right now I have two main gripes with the OS. I have zero faith either will be changed in the next 3 weeks...if ever.

1. 40% the new Start Menu is permanently occupied by a section called "Recommended" that you're stuck with. All it does is show your recent files and installed programs. If you try to disable it...it's just a giant empty section that suggests you enable it within the Start Menu. There's currently no way to get that real estate back and it's an eyesore.

2. You can't drag and drop files to apps on your taskbar. For example, if you're using Chrome as your email client (for Outlook, Gmail, etc.) you can't drag and drop files to the Chrome icon on your Start Menu. Instead, you have to have Chrome and Windows Explorer open side-by-side and do it that way. Ditto with Teams, Creative Cloud, or any other application. If you try to drag a file on top of a taskbar icon, there's a little red circle with a slash through it. Essentially, the taskbar is for shortcuts only - there's no other functionality.

the retail versions will be the same price as Windows 10?...I'm thinking about buying an OEM copy

the retail versions will be the same price as Windows 10?...I'm thinking about buying an OEM copy
I do wonder about this. Win 10 was great cause you could get gray market keys for like $15. Hopefully you'll still be able to do that soon on 11.

And I know you can install Win 10 and upgrade for free, but then you'll have to wait an indeterminate amount of time.

Last edited:
Eh some of us just don't get excited for new windows because often they do nothing worthwhile. All the crap they did with the game mode never really gave much of a benefit. And of course there was the DX12 exclusive that took a long time to be worth upgrading for.

I wasn’t really really excited about it lol. But overall it’s much snappier and crashes less for me so that helps.

I`d upgrade but my CPU is apparently too ancient ( 6700K) , i`m guessing they`ll reverse their policy for TPM chip sometime soon enough, they don't want win10 to live a day after win11 comes out.

Yeah it would be like the first thing I could see them dropping if they weren't getting the adoption rate they wanted

I'll be upgrading either way (just happened to upgrade rig this year for 4k encoding before Windows 11 TPM stuff was announced - I would have been screwed too otherwise), I always do I want all the new features my HW can take advantage of in any new Windows release.

I kinda wonder about how much they care about Windows 10 dying and 11 adoption. At least initially. Seems like they're doing everything they can to limit both of those things.

I kinda wonder about how much they care about Windows 10 dying and 11 adoption. At least initially. Seems like they're doing everything they can to limit both of those things.
Microsoft likely isn't in a huge rush, but I'm sure it also wants to avoid the Windows XP and 7 scenarios (where companies desperately hold on to an old OS to run their 25-year-old database app).

The only feature that I know of that actually makes use of WDDM 3.0 is Android app support (which won't be available in the release version of Windows 11 anyway). WDDM 3.0 will give Android apps the ability to manage their own video RAM directly so that almost no performance penalty is incurred. It's not known yet if WDDM 3.0 is actually required for running Android apps or if they will simply run slower without.
WSL2 also uses it. So if you want some Linux with GUI directly inside Windows, that also makes use of it. Probably not a feature many will use, I think you have to buy a Pro license to get the feature anyhow, but it is kinda nifty for some environments.

FAQc-kDUUAcGCMO.jpeg

Do you often have problems with crashing in 10?

No what I was referring was how many people bitching about windows 10. Just read what I said though don't read too much in to it, since preview testing. As far as speed hands down faster then windows 10. I have yet to even have a windows hang on me in windows 11 all while being in preview.

I definitely had quite a few issues with the first release of 11 back in July. In particular the "Settings" menu had lots of hangs and mini-freezes, but sometimes the Start Menu would, too. No issues with the current version (which is probably the "final" RTM one rolling out next week), though.
Performance-wise, I've seen no difference in normal OS performance or in gaming performance. I didn't exactly run 50 games or anything, but in the few I tried (Borderlands 3, Valhalla, Mortal Shell, Cyberpunk) I saw zero FPS differences and the exact same performance quirks, too. Adobe CC apps work identically, too, although admittedly I do NOT work with video. That might be different on other hardware, but I wouldn't head into a Windows 11 install for the sake of expecting performance boosts.

I got it today through an update. So far a few things I don't like:

1) Icons are centered like a linux distro. Can't remove them nor relocate them. I now have duplicate start menu, files folder icons. What a bitch. *Edit* Figured out how to move them.
2) in order to move files to a USB, instead of right clicking on file, scroll down the menu and select: "Send to". you have to right click file, scroll down menu and select "Show more options", then scroll further down to "send to" to complete the task that was simple in the first place. Fucking extra steps :rolleyes:

Something that was soo simplified has now fucked us into extra steps to complete a simple fucking task.

What I don't give a shit about is rounded edges on windows. Like I give a shit about pointed or rounded edges on my taskbar, icons or other stupid crap.

Last edited:
2) in order to move files to a USB, instead of right clicking on file, scroll down the menu and select: "Send to". you have to right click file, scroll down menu and select "Show more options", then scroll further down to "send to" to complete the task that was simple in the first place. Fucking extra steps :rolleyes:
Does shift+F10 still work ? Not having open with directly accessible seem like a pain

So my retail W10 PC is going to get a one time free upgrade to W11, forcing me to buy W11 when I invariably upgrade a dead motherboard, just like the transition from 7-10? Sweet

Silly me, for buying retail MS W10 at a MS storefront. I should have gotten a 5$ bootleg key. This was yesterday. No, phone support was no help.

If you bought a legit retail key, you can talk to MS and they will usually allow the upgrade.

I recall one time I had to replace a motherboard and the Windows license said it was unverified or something, and I called the support number and they helped me.

What I find most absurd about windows11 is my skylake is incompatible.

For productivity my skylake is functionally identical to our massive brand new systems at work... and it has all the technology to run windows 11 built into it.
This launch is just... stunning level of disconnected stupidity. Telling customers what to do rather than giving them options is totally a great way of doing business.

What I find most absurd about windows11 is my skylake is incompatible.

For productivity my skylake is functionally identical to our massive brand new systems at work... and it has all the technology to run windows 11 built into it.
This launch is just... stunning level of disconnected stupidity. Telling customers what to do rather than giving them options is totally a great way of doing business.
download the iso, mount it, run setup. it skips the tpm check.

Time to fork home and enterprise/corporate. Home generally doesn't need an update past security and they could benefit from enterprise feature removal.

Back