Windows 11 available on October 5

Agreed. I'm not an Apple liker on any level, but the M1 is impressive, especially in work-per-watt. I'm hoping it starts a bit of an 'arm's race and we get good implementation and availability outside the Apple ecosystem, because that would be good for everyone.

Agreed. I'm not an Apple liker on any level, but the M1 is impressive, especially in work-per-watt. I'm hoping it starts a bit of an 'arm's race and we get good implementation and availability outside the Apple ecosystem, because that would be good for everyone.

The big.little cores seem to be catching on...

That's the thing. It'd be great to see ARM gain wider adoption in the Windows world, but it seems like that will only happen now that Apple is lighting a fire under Microsoft and Qualcomm. And unless that happens, there could be an awkward moment where Microsoft is seriously held back by its dependence on x86 chips. Intel does seem to have a way out of its 14nm/10nm rut, but I'm not counting on it suddenly leapfrogging Apple... or AMD, for that matter.

Any indication the final build will have a never combine taskbar buttons option yet?

Reactions: Wat
like this
if you download the iso you can install it on the none-tpm machine by running setup.exe. also, always disable 3rd party a/v during upgrades, they dont know the new system files and can fuck with them.
Thank you for that. I have a few good Asus motherboards that show that the TPM is missing. Another with Intel !7 Processor Extreeme Edition is not supported
the results show. I will download the .iso file and install it anyway.... is that right or only the TPM can be absent? No support on my AMD computers so far.

If your AMD systems are Ryzen, run a search on how to turn on TPM for your motherboard, it should be built into the processor (I think all but certainly the third gen).

Whoops- PD1 says the first gen doesn't have it...

Last edited:
Thank you for that. I have a few good Asus motherboards that show that the TPM is missing. Another with Intel !7 Processor Extreeme Edition is not supported
the results show. I will download the .iso file and install it anyway.... is that right or only the TPM can be absent? No support on my AMD computers so far.
yeah if you have 7, 8 or 10 installed, you download the iso, mount it and run setup to do an in place upgrade and it will bypass the tpm check. there is also a way to do it from scratch(no os) that bypasses it via command line, no altered files, just a manual install.

If your AMD systems are Ryzen, run a search on how to turn on TPM for your motherboard, it should be built into the processor (I think all but certainly the third gen).
first gen doesnt have it though.

Don't get me wrong. I understand this. I just wish it weren't the case. Every extra lead, component, and trace on the board adds complexity, and if it is not needed, it adds needless complexity and the needless addition of a failure mode.

I miss the days back when motherboards came with nothing. You wanted a storage controller? You added that controller yourself in an open slot. You wanted network connectivity? The same, you added a NIC. You wanted sound? You added a sound card. You wanted video? You added a video card.

I'm not saying that there aren't use cases for all in one products, but I wish there were at least an option to get a board without all the hardware bloat.

A motherboard with NOTHING on board, and expansion slots up the wazoo to make up for it. I'd buy that board for every high end system I built, and use the boards with integratred crapware just for low end systems I didn't really care about.

...which means Microsoft is completely incompetent at software development.
Tyan, Supermicro workstation boards. Clean, sleek.

I'll be the first to admit, I have never heard of "Work per Watt" before. I like that!!!

The more I use Windows 11, the more I get Windows 8 vibes from it. There are good ideas, but everything feels like a half-hearted first or second step instead of a final product. One one hand, it's mostly like a skin on top of Windows 10. Yet on the other hand, there are some pretty large UI shifts that aren't immediately obvious. Especially with the bouncing around between the new "app" side of the OS vs. the older stuff like the control panel. I just hope it doesn't take years to get to Windows 11.1 or 12.

Big little has greater implications than simply efficiency.
It opens the door to specialized+generalized chips since in essence that is what it is.

Instead of having a chip weighted exclusively to generalized light and generalized heavy what if you could buy a part that was generalized light+specialized gaming or generalized light+rendering specialized?

Still pissed about windows11. We just finished upgrading the last pc to 10. Now the hell train starts all over again.

The right click menu threw me off for a bit, but I've grown to like having the rename/cut/paste/etc. icons at the top of the menu.

Still pissed about windows11. We just finished upgrading the last pc to 10. Now the hell train starts all over again.

As a network admin and IT support myself I feel you. 1000+ computers to manage. Luckily majority of computers are switched out every 3 years as most of them are on lease. Let's hope for an easy/smooth upgrade this time around, at least Windows 10 build upgrades were made easier starting from build 2004. It was quite the pain only to keep Windows 10 machines reasonably up-to-date before that needing bios updates and what not to even get the laptops to support newer builds, I'm a daredevil but not that much of a daredevil to push out BIOS updates just like that to client machines.

Mhm, having to click again is anathema so is the gigantic distance between the buttons.
most users only use right click for copy/paste so simplifying it and having more options seems to make sense to ms. you probably missed were they added the spacing option, so things arent gapped out anymore.

I'd climb up into that for a dollar!
1631822504324.png

As a network admin and IT support myself I feel you. 1000+ computers to manage. Luckily majority of computers are switched out every 3 years as most of them are on lease. Let's hope for an easy/smooth upgrade this time around, at least Windows 10 build upgrades were made easier starting from build 2004. It was quite the pain only to keep Windows 10 machines reasonably up-to-date before that needing bios updates and what not to even get the laptops to support newer builds, I'm a daredevil but not that much of a daredevil to push out BIOS updates just like that to client machines.
Oh come on. What's the worst that could happen? :ROFLMAO:
On a serious note, we do that here using DCU and Lenovo System Update through SCCM.

I'm a daredevil but not that much of a daredevil to push out BIOS updates just like that to client machines.
our intel 6 series and newer dells get bios updates via windows update, works fine and saved us from have to manually do it for all the flaw patches.

Still up in the air about this I did see in one video where the single core got a big boost with the latest build. Does the Nvidia control panel work with desktop dimming?

Last edited:
Back