Windows 11 available on October 5

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Microsoft announced today that they will begin rolling out Windows 11 to users on October 5. If you are on Windows 10 currently you will be eligible to receive a free upgrade to Windows 11 should Microsoft's analytics determine your PC is special enough. They say that all eligible PCs should be able to upgrade by the middle of next year. PCs preloaded with the new version of the operating system will also be available for sale starting on October 5.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/08/31/windows-11-available-on-october-5/

Rolling out the free upgrade to Windows 11 in a phased and measured approach

The free upgrade to Windows 11 starts on October 5 and will be phased and measured with a focus on quality. Following the tremendous learnings from Windows 10, we want to make sure we’re providing you with the best possible experience. That means new eligible devices will be offered the upgrade first. The upgrade will then roll out over time to in-market devices based on intelligence models that consider hardware eligibility, reliability metrics, age of device and other factors that impact the upgrade experience. We expect all eligible devices to be offered the free upgrade to Windows 11 by mid-2022. If you have a Windows 10 PC that’s eligible for the upgrade, Windows Update will let you know when it’s available. You can also check to see if Windows 11 is ready for your device by going to Settings > Windows Update and select Check for updates*.

I`d upgrade but my CPU is apparently too ancient ( 6700K) , i`m guessing they`ll reverse their policy for TPM chip sometime soon enough, they don't want win10 to live a day after win11 comes out.

Can't help but think this will be a muddled launch with the fretting over system requirements and UI changes. That and Android app compatibility won't even be available in preview form until some months from now. In other words... don't rush to upgrade from Windows 10.

After using a couple beta/test versions, I think it's half baked. Lots of things feel unfinished and unpolished. At least one of their big selling points (Android app support) won't be there at launch, either. Who knows if/when it will show up, too. I liked what I saw in their early announcement videos, but I'm far less impressed with the reality of it.

Can't help but think this will be a muddled launch with the fretting over system requirements and UI changes. That and Android app compatibility won't even be available in preview form until some months from now. In other words... don't rush to upgrade from Windows 10.
Agreed. I'll wait a year or two like I usually do, especially how it seemed like 10 was still in beta when it was first released. Seems like 10 didn't even feel like a finished product until a couple years ago.

Agreed. I'll wait a year or two like I usually do, especially how it seemed like 10 was still in beta when it was first released. Seems like 10 didn't even feel like a finished product until a couple years ago.

That's my take based on trying pre-release versions of both. With Windows 8 and 10 you'd see the standard postings about "it's an unfinished preview release - relax!" and then the final shipping versions would be literally identical. Vista is the last one I can recall going through a really long public beta where the final was way, way more polished than the previews.

That's my take based on trying pre-release versions of both. With Windows 8 and 10 you'd see the standard postings about "it's an unfinished preview release - relax!" and then the final shipping versions would be literally identical. Vista is the last one I can recall going through a really long public beta where the final was way, way more polished than the previews.
Seems like the idea of releasing half-baked products on the market is SOP in every industry now that online digital distribution is abundant. Back when your primary release channel was retail boxed you had to make sure you got it close to perfect. These days we can just fire our whole QA department like Microsoft on the promise of fixing issues as they come up and our discovered by the new compulsory QA testers in their customers/users.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 at launch my eyes burned until Nvidia had decent drivers two months later.

Nah 2042 is almost here, not sure about potential issues with current games and productivity apps. I'll wait until my next major upgrade to go up to 11.

For what it's worth, I encountered zero issues with gaming performance or apps. In a couple cases, games actually ran a hair better on my system. That's using the same exact Nvidia drivers from Windows 10. My issues were more with the core UI and interface being buggy/sloppy.

Microsoft will begin Windows 8 and 8.1's end of life and support in January 2023. This means it will stop all support and updates to the operating system. Windows 8 and 8.1 already reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018. Right now the operating system is in what is known as extended support.

Window 8 is still going strong for a good year 1/2 launched back in 2012

For what it's worth, I encountered zero issues with gaming performance or apps. In a couple cases, games actually ran a hair better on my system. That's using the same exact Nvidia drivers from Windows 10. My issues were more with the core UI and interface being buggy/sloppy.
Well that's promising.

Been running it from a fresh install on a spare laptop for almost two weeks.
So far, I like it fine.
When work transitions to it over the next year, it's going to be a heck of a lot less headache than the outright failure that Win8 presented.

Win11Pro18AUG21.png

Last edited:
As I've said elsewhere I feel like unless a compelling reason to "upgrade" somehow arises after the fact, I won't be doing so until 2025 when Win 10 goes EOL.

In general when it comes to software, which includes operating systems, unless you absolutely need a new feature present only in a newer version, older is better, as long as it is still supported and patched.

I have one box set aside to be the guinea pig, now that I have a 5700G in it, The rest can stay with Win 10 or Linux till the cussing and frustration period is over.

There’s nothing half-baked about this - the primary feature is in; just so happens it’s for Microsoft and content-producers and not the users who only get used :p. Microsoft and their ilk are salivating to lock down your hardware in the name of “security”.

Let's go down Microsofts list of new features shall we?

• The new design and sounds are modern, fresh, clean and beautiful, bringing you a sense of calm and ease.
Whenever software companies start talking about fresh reworked UI or aesthetic designs it just makes me want to roll my eyes. I'd prefer it if UI and design just stayed fixed and never changed. By all means, if something winds up improving usability, improve it, but just quit changing the Aesthetics all the time. Just choose one and stick with it. It literally adds no benefit what so ever.

• With Start, we’ve put you and your content at the center. Start utilizes the power of the cloud and Microsoft 365 to show you your recent files no matter what device you were viewing them on.
Do not want. I don't want "cloud" in anything I do or touch.

• Snap Layouts, Snap Groups and Desktops provide an even more powerful way to multitask and optimize your screen real estate.
This might be useful, but we already have snap options in Windows 10, and had them in Windows 7 as well.

• Chat from Microsoft Teams integrated into the taskbar provides a faster way to connect to the people you care about.
Absolutely DO NOT WANT. Teams is a bloated piece of crapware. I do not want it on my machine in any way shape or form. I don't usually use my computer to connect to people, other than by email, and I'd prefer it to stay that way.

• Widgets, a new personalized feed powered by AI, provides a faster way to access the information you care about, and with Microsoft Edge’s world class performance, speed and productivity features you can get more done on the web.
DO NOT WANT. I want absolutely zero AI in any product I use. Any automation needs to be set up manually and statically by me. I want no algorithms trying to guess things about me and getting them wrong, and I don't want my data used for this purpose in any way.

• Windows 11 delivers the best Windows ever for gaming and unlocks the full potential of your system’s hardware with technology like DirectX12 Ultimate, DirectStorage and Auto HDR. With Xbox Game Pass for PC or Ultimate you get access to over 100 high-quality PC games to play on Windows 11 for one low monthly price. (Xbox Game Pass sold separately.)
I do not want anything named "XBOX" on my computer. My machine is a professional workstation, not some childs toy. I will also NEVER sign up for any kind of game pass. I have specific games I like, and I buy only those. I don't want to pay a monthly fee to have access to just a random bunch of games, most of which I'll probably hate.

I do still enjoy the occasional game though, so it remains to be seen if this DX12 Ultimate makes any real difference, or if it is just marketing speak.

• Windows 11 comes with a new Microsoft Store rebuilt with an all-new design making it easier to search and discover your favorite apps, games, shows, and movies in one trusted location. We look forward to continuing our journey to bring Android apps to Windows 11 and the Microsoft Store through our collaboration with Amazon and Intel; this will start with a preview for Windows Insiders over the coming months.
I don't want a Microsoft store. I haven't used the Microsoft store to date, and I don't [picture myself starting now. I also don't understand why anyone would want to run an Android app in windows, unless they are an app developer running some sort of testing.

• Windows 11 is the most inclusively designed version of Windows with new accessibility improvements that were built for and by people with disabilities.
If this helps people who need it, that is great, and I hope it works for them. I've been lucky to not need these features, and I sincerely hope it stays that way.

• Windows 11 unlocks new opportunities for developers and creators. We are opening the Store to allow more developers and independent software vendors (ISVs) to bring their apps to the Store, improving native and web app development with new developer tools, and making it easier for you to refresh the look and feel across all our app designs and experiences.
Pass. What little content creation I do, I can do just fine now (And I do it in Linux, not in Windows, unless you count working in spreadsheets and Word for work and that works just fine as is.)

• Windows 11 is optimized for speed, efficiency and improved experiences with touch, digital pen and voice input.
I like the first half of that sentence. I absolutely HATE the second.

While touch works well on a phone, I don't use touch on a computer, and I never will. It's a dumb idea, and whenever you "optimize for touch" you wind up with god awful UI's with big fat finger buttons and tons of wasted dead space ruining everything. Kindly go fuck yourselves with this touch nonsense.

• Windows 11 is the operating system for hybrid work, delivering new experiences that work how you work, are secure by design, and easy and familiar for IT to deploy and manage. Businesses can also test Windows 11 in preview today in Azure Virtual Desktop, or at general availability by experiencing Windows 11 in the new Windows 365.

I've been "hybrid" working just fine to date. All I need is a VPN so I can access the shared drives at work. I don't need nor want any of your bullshit cloud garbage.

I have spoken.

Making Teams mandatory is total bullshit btw.

By all means, make it available to everyone, but ffs allow me to remove it.

If I've gone through this entire goddamn pandemic without even once video chatting with anyone, I'm not going to start now, and if you really want to instant message people just about every other instant messaging platform out there is better than Teams.

If I've gone through this entire goddamn pandemic without even once video chatting with anyone, I'm not going to start now, and if you really want to instant message people just about every other instant messaging platform out there is better than Teams.
its not.
you can.
since you didnt have to, you probably dont realize that most people were using zoom or teams for all those.

Yeah, I'd prefer it also if there was an option to remove it. To be fair, I haven't actually tried to remove it, so maybe you can?

But even if you can't remove it, it's not that big of a deal to simply disable it and not use it, at which point it's not doing anything or causing any problems. Sort of like Internet Explorer has been for years (although they finally removed IE in Windows 11).

Yeah, I'd prefer it also if there was an option to remove. To be fair, I haven't actually tried to remove it.

But even if you can't remove it, it's not that big of a deal to simply disable it and not use it, at which point it's not doing anything or causing any problems. Sort of like Internet Explorer has been for years (although they finally removed IE in Windows 11).
i can uninstall it on my system.

1630435712846.png

its not.
you can.
since you didnt have to, you probably dont realize that most people were using zoom or teams for all those.

Zoom is awful.

I have used Teams and Skype for Business for work meetings, but only for traditional screen share type of meetings. I don't even have a camera on my computer, and I don't feel the need to have one.

Why would I ever care to see the face of the people I am talking to? Like, what benefit does this possibly add? It's really just a nuisance.

Like, would this forum be improved in any way, if you could see my face while I typed this post? Probably not.

It's not that much of a hassle, I'd say, but this definitely has that same whiff we got from Microsoft's attempts to push IE at the turn of the century. More an attempt to prop up an app than help users.

None of the machines here are going to be "Upgraded" from 10 to 11, but in May or June I hope to get a chance to build a new rig and if the stars align and I can actually get my hands on the needed parts then perhaps that build gets Win 11.

Zoom is awful.

I have used Teams and Skype for Business for work meetings, but only for traditional screen share type of meetings. I don't even have a camera on my computer, and I don't feel the need to have one.

Why would I ever care to see the face of the people I am talking to? Like, what benefit does this possibly add? It's really just a nuisance.

Like, would this forum be improved in any way, if you could see my face while I typed this post? Probably not.
i agree but its what what used. i had weekly meetings but i didnt use my webcam at all, left it in the drawer and did audio only, same with remote support for the students.

To be clear, my philosophy in everything is the simpler the better.

Don't get me wrong, I don't shun all complexity. I'll add multiple monitors, have external DAC's, amps, multiple headphones, a power amp, bookshelf speakers etc. etc. but if it is something I don't use, I want it gone, and not gumming up the works.

I grumble to myself when motherboards include crap on-board features I don't want, and immediately try to disable them in the BIOS, and get pretty pissed if that works. (On my current desktop motherboard I have disabled all Ethernet ports because I use my own NIC, I have disabled on board sound, because I use my external DAC, I have disabled WiFi because no one should ever use Wifi on any stationary device, and I have disabled the stupid Christmas tree light controller.

I want to do the same thing in my OS. I want software I don't use completely ripped out. Not just disabled, so that it reappears if you create a new account. I want the binaries gone, and if I can't get that I get pissed.

None of the machines here are going to be "Upgraded" from 10 to 11, but in May or June I hope to get a chance to build a new rig and if the stars align and I can actually get my hands on the needed parts then perhaps that build gets Win 11.
New rig, new OS. Yep.

Let's just hope they don't have magic red X:es that start unwanted "upgrades" this time.

Back