Windows 11 available on October 5

There isn't minimal nitpicking, there are some glaring issues, especially with AMD CPUs. There are definitely things that badly need to be addressed with Windows 11.
are you still having issues after the update and new chipset drivers?

are you still having issues after the update and new chipset drivers?
Yes, nothing has been fixed. It’s infuriating. I didn’t want to go through the process of downgrading but at this point I didn’t have a choice.

Yes, nothing has been fixed. It’s infuriating. I didn’t want to go through the process of downgrading but at this point I didn’t have a choice.
k. maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the chipset driver.

click the date/time and it opens calendar.
View attachment 406151

click once and its right there at the bottom.
View attachment 406152
Clicking on anything down there just makes it flicker but otherwise do nothing. If I right click I get options to adjust time/date or open sound mixer.

EDIT:

Found the issue. Apparently "remove action center icon" from notification area mod will break this. Cannot wait for Ultimate Windows Tweaker to come out for 11 to fix these shortcomings.

Last edited:
The only issue I'm currently having is that it my mouse cursor has a constant high-speed flicker on the desktop. Doesn't matter if I'm at 60hz or 120hz; it's always flickering.

Clicking on anything down there just makes it flicker but otherwise do nothing. If I right click I get options to adjust time/date or open sound mixer.

EDIT:

Found the issue. Apparently "remove action center icon" from notification area mod will break this. Cannot wait for Ultimate Windows Tweaker to come out for 11 to fix these shortcomings.
"Apparently "remove action center icon" from notification area mod" mod? like a taskbar or start menu mod?

"Apparently "remove action center icon" from notification area mod" mod? like a taskbar or start menu mod?
I've been using that for years in Win10, it's an option in Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.8. Also show seconds in taskbar clock but that no longer works. I guess we need to give it time.

By the time there's a working classic shell to make it look like 7 I'll have accustomed myself to the new layout. It's certainly not the end of the world and I like it better than the start menu with tiles from 10.
I did install on a 5950x system and noticed immediately that archiving speed was about HALF what it was in 10. Installed AMD chipset drivers and that restored performance. Don't play games other than card games (LOL) so cannot comment on FPS stuff.

I've been using that for years in Win10, it's an option in Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.8. Also show seconds in taskbar clock but that no longer works. I guess we need to give it time.

By the time there's a working classic shell to make it look like 7 I'll have accustomed myself to the new layout. It's certainly not the end of the world and I like it better than the start menu with tiles from 10.
I did install on a 5950x system and noticed immediately that archiving speed was about HALF what it was in 10. Installed AMD chipset drivers and that restored performance. Don't play games other than card games (LOL) so cannot comment on FPS stuff.
then its the mods causing the problem, thats not a windows problem. see if they have a version for 11 yet.

then its the mods causing the problem, thats not a windows problem. see if they have a version for 11 yet.
I don't see it available but will keep looking as there are a lot of uses for it and a fully supported version would be the ticket! ;-)

One other thing I've noticed is crackling in audio through my monitor. It's on a DP connection via Dell Thunderbolt dock that's connected to my XPS 9310 laptop.
I watch lots of youtube with this combo and noticed it right away. Sounds like a record crackle effect that's used in a lot of hip hop samples.

I don't see it available but will keep looking as there are a lot of uses for it and a fully supported version would be the ticket! ;-)

One other thing I've noticed is crackling in audio through my monitor. It's on a DP connection via Dell Thunderbolt dock that's connected to my XPS 9310 laptop.
I watch lots of youtube with this combo and noticed it right away. Sounds like a record crackle effect that's used in a lot of hip hop samples.
check the output settings are right and make sure the firmware/drivers are up to date for the doc.

I humored myself and updated to Windows 11 again. There was a new Windows 11 update available today. After installing the update, it bricked my PC. I'm back on Windows 10 again. I'm loving this.

I humored myself and updated to Windows 11 again. There was a new Windows 11 update available today. After installing the update, it bricked my PC. I'm back on Windows 10 again. I'm loving this.
1635194911843.png

Last edited:
I love some good brick work, but I'm not a skilled mason. Happy to wait until 2025 once the mortar and plaster tools have set a little better.

Thanks to those willing to be Win11 beta testers. I did my time in the Win10 beta mines. Still recovering from data-miners cough.

I love some good brick work, but I'm not a skilled mason. Happy to wait until 2025 once the mortar and plaster tools have set a little better.

Thanks to those willing to be Win11 beta testers. I did my time in the Win10 beta mines. Still recovering from data-miners cough.

Same here.

I'll probably "upgrade" to 11 before the 2025 Windows 10 EOL date, but I am in no hurry to do so.

Maybe once this thread has been quiet for a while, I'll give it a try :p

Same here.

I'll probably "upgrade" to 11 before the 2025 Windows 10 EOL date, but I am in no hurry to do so.

Maybe once this thread has been quiet for a while, I'll give it a try :p
I'd give it a go, but they don't really support Skylake, so I'll just wait till I feel the need to upgrade my PC. The new PC I'm going to build for my parents will support it, but I'm not putting 11 on a system if I don't have 11 on my rig. Maybe in a year or 2 if I get the bug, but given that I don't really game on my PC anymore, I'm in no rush to upgrade.

I'd give it a go, but they don't really support Skylake, so I'll just wait till I feel the need to upgrade my PC. The new PC I'm going to build for my parents will support it, but I'm not putting 11 on a system if I don't have 11 on my rig. Maybe in a year or 2 if I get the bug, but given that I don't really game on my PC anymore, I'm in no rush to upgrade.

I might be more motivated to try it if there were some killer feature that really looked useful.

As it is, it just seems like a light reskin, and more useless bloat and cloud integration I don't want.

I'm not going to drag my feet to the bitter end, as eventually things will be optimized for Windows 11, and it will make sense to use it, but I am also not going to switch in any kind of hurry.

There probably won't be a killer feature to motivate people to move to Windows 11 until Android app support arrives. At least assuming that works well. Microsoft can go on and on about making things quicker/easier, but you can count those things on one hand. Especially since some things that people used have been full-on removed. I can't imagine most people caring about Auto-HDR or the like 3 Widgets you can choose from.

There probably won't be a killer feature to motivate people to move to Windows 11 until Android app support arrives. At least assuming that works well. Microsoft can go on and on about making things quicker/easier, but you can count those things on one hand. Especially since some things that people used have been full-on removed. I can't imagine most people caring about Auto-HDR or the like 3 Widgets you can choose from.

For some of us, Android App support isn't particularly valuable either. I've personally never understood the "App-ify All The Things" fever that seems to infest Android and iOS devices - most "apps" out there would be served just as well by being a webpage (if not better served as a webpage; it should be easier to keep up than myriad app versions and their ever-changing requirements and dependencies).

For some of us, Android App support isn't particularly valuable either. I've personally never understood the "App-ify All The Things" fever that seems to infest Android and iOS devices - most "apps" out there would be served just as well by being a webpage (if not better served as a webpage; it should be easier to keep up than myriad app versions and their ever-changing requirements and dependencies).
Default browsers on phones are deliberately shit, or at least were for a long time, to herd people towards apps.

Not to mention when you open a link to like Twitter or Reddit in a mobile browser and a huge popup comes telling you the app is better. Like if I wanted to use the app, I would have opened it. So annoying.

Then again I can't think of a killer android app, let alone one I'd need on my PC.

Maybe once a game or two come out with a compelling Directstorage implementation. Like an openworld RPG that has no enter/exit loadscreen transitions going into buildings or dungeons?

I don't know what's going to move the needle for W11. Microsoft could be looking at a Windows ME 2 situation.

Last edited:

The biggest advantage is with multimedia streaming apps, which either don't exist or are crippled in Windows. The Windows Netflix app is absolutely fantastic. The others all range from functional to simply opening a browser window. Apps are needed for higher resolution, multi-channel HQ audio, and HDR. Browsers either can't (or won't) do those things. Especially the audio. HDR and higher resolutions CAN work (as seen with YouTube), but the audio is a sticking point.

Beyond those, I like Google's apps for Gmail, Calendar, Weather, Maps, etc. vs. opening them in a browser or especially Microsoft's clumsy Windows apps. There are always games, social apps, and whatnot, too. Maybe not a giant game changer, but maybe it could be. I'm pretty dug-in with both Windows and Android and I feel like having them together could be really convenient.

I didn't beta test the Win 10 public release. Was to busy supporting Win 7 systems. I actually did with Win 11 as I wanted to test secure boot and TPM on my system. The beta I loaded was crap and had issues but the public release fixed those issues and its been rock solid so far. Every OS has teething issues so I get that but I don't like the MS practice of using the public release more like a beta test. Nothing wrong with waiting since most issues will get straightened out.

I downloaded the ISO and will play with it in a VM extensively before it ever touches my hardware. I am in no hurry.

Another way to go is to extract a Windows 10 ISO and a Windows 11 ISO into different folders. Copy the large "install.wim" file out of the "sources" folder of the Windows 11 install files and drop it into the "sources" folder of the Windows 10 install files (replacing the "install.wim" file that is already there). Then run the setup.exe from the Windows 10 install files. By doing this, you are basically installing Windows 11 using the Windows 10 installer and bypassing all Windows 11 specific requirements in the process. The Installer even begins saying "Installing Windows 10" but when it's done, you'll have Windows 11 on your computer. Most of my older computers were installed using this method, and it allows for easy upgrades from Windows 10 21H1.

This did not work well not on my (don't laugh) Dell Latitude E6420! this was done running setup.exe the setup.exe kept crashing!
How to I make a bootable ISO without actually burning it? I want to use it on a USB flash drive as it won't even fit on a DVD-5 anymore and I'm not using one of my few DVD-9 discs for this.
MS now force-installing Health Check app - although you can immediately uninstall it...

I noticed this as well anyway to keep it from coming back? I uninstalled it and it installed again! Windows 7 pushing 10 all over again LoL!

Got word that my PC was ready to update to windows 11, I'm avoiding it on my main machine for now - too much stuff going on to be a test machine. Hoping that my laptop will update first so i can give it a try on a less crucial system.

This did not work well not on my (don't laugh) Dell Latitude E6420! this was done running setup.exe the setup.exe kept crashing!

Hmm seems odd since I've had basically 100% success rate over so many computers. You should uncheck the option to download updates during setup, as obviously that could cause some issues given the file swap.

How to I make a bootable ISO without actually burning it? I want to use it on a USB flash drive as it won't even fit on a DVD-5 anymore and I'm not using one of my few DVD-9 discs for this.

Interesting. Seems like 2200.194 was the last version that fit on a single-layer DVD. If you still have a 22000.194 ISO you could use that, since it will auto update to 22000.282 anyway right after install. For a USB drive just use the media creation tool:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295

You can use the installation media tool from Microsoft to create an ISO for each:

Windows 10 >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Windows 11 >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

These will let you create a standalone ISO file.

Back