Windows 10's Share Has Grown by Just 5 Percent in a Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The latest figures from NetMarketShare indicate that Windows 10’s share of the desktop operating system market remains pretty uninspiring, with growth much slower than expected. Windows XP, for some reason, enjoyed a mini-resurgence, posting a gain of 1.28 percentage points, but W7 and W8.1 both saw declines. Edge is also continuing to show very slow signs of adoption.

...in a year, the new OS has grown by just over 5 percent. In comparison, Windows 7 grew by 2 percent in the same time frame. Of course, this is usage share, rather than market share, but in some ways that’s more important as it shows the percentage of people actually using the different operating systems. June wasn’t a great month for Windows 10 either. It went from 26.78 percent share to 26.80 percent, a growth of just 0.02 percentage points. Windows 7 went from having 49.46 percent share to 49.04 percent, a dip of 0.42 percentage points.

Most of the people I know don't care for Windows 10 (programmers and IT types). And almost all of them use something like Classic Shell as opposed to the default Windows 10 menu. All I use 10 for these days is games, the rest of the time I'm in Linux.

Most of the people I know don't care for Windows 10 (programmers and IT types). And almost all of them use something like Classic Shell as opposed to the default Windows 10 menu. All I use 10 for these days is games, the rest of the time I'm in Linux.
While I think classic shell is non sense personally, I can certainly get behind the Linux for all things except gaming, until it can then that too.

The company I work for has just started the process of rolling out windows10. Holding off for this long isn't that uncommon (especially as they were quite far through evaluating windows8 before MS pulled the rug out from beneath them...). I expect in over the next 12months the usage figures to rise a lot (not saying who I work for has billions of users, just its a common theme in the industry I work for and I suspect elsewhere)

These numbers will look very different by next year I suspect.

Microsoft has been working to inprove the overall security of the windows OS but that work has only been going into Win10 because win7 is in extended support and they abandoned win 8.1 it seems like.

I know we are rolling Windows 10 upgrades at an increasing rate where I work. And we are actually just over 50% at this point. By the end of the year, probably 85%-90% I'm betting. I'm sure we aren't alone.

User interface is only one consideration when talking about OS upgrades... You have to consider that modern PCs don't support Win7,. Eventually some apps will require win 10, overall security should be better sorted at the OS level as well. Microsoft has certainly done some things I don't like but if you want to run Microsoft Windows and migrating to another platfiorn is not viable or desired, Win10 is the way forward.

Last edited:
Cuz its a piece of shit but some shill will be along shortly to defend his employer.

Ok Windows 10 is a piece of shit. So what are the other options? For me Linux isn't an option for many reasons. Windows 7 has become increasingly less viable in gaming, not that 7 still isn't viable but if you want to run all of the latest and greatest games, there are gaps with 7 and to a lesser extent even 8.1

Different people have different needs and expectations, millage will vary.

you can't really compare growth statistics from Windows 10 with any other previous Microsoft OS because of the fact that they allow free upgrades from W7 plus they upgraded a lot of people who never really wanted it in the first place...as far as Edge, it's silly to have both IE11 and Edge together...either they should have made Edge the new defacto browser or just improved upon IE itself (better option)

as far as Edge, it's silly to have both IE11 and Edge together...either they should have made Edge the new defacto browser or just improved upon IE itself (better option)

AcitveX support. At some point when that's not an issue IE 11 will go away. Probably not a big deal for most home users but has more business implications especially with things like extensions for Office.

Yes, you found me out. I had trouble typing this as well. Nevermind the data harvesting piece of shit that w10 is. That's not relevant at all. Look over here, it's a butterfly.
has worked fine for me. Sorry if you aren't capable enough a pc user to handle the nuances of such a simple os.

Most of the people I know don't care for Windows 10 (programmers and IT types).

Most the developers at my company where running Windows 10 as soon as it was available. They decide what they want to run, and just I provide new hardware as needed.

I'm in the process of rolling out Windows 10 to the rest of the office.
Since I'm just a 1 man IT department, and also have to deal with servers, exchange, phones, etc, it will likely be sometime next year before I'm finished. :eek:

I probably affected the June Windows 10 numbers, since I was busy with some SQL/server issues and I fell behind on the laptop upgrades last month :p

as far as Edge, it's silly to have both IE11 and Edge together...either they should have made Edge the new defacto browser or just improved upon IE itself (better option)

I have an app at the office that will only run under IE.
As I've been rolling out Windows 10, I've setup IE to default to that application, and tell the users to use either Edge or Chome for any web browsing.

I've been using Edge at home, and don't see why there seems to be so much hate toward it. Runs much better then IE did the past several years.
Also use Chrome, but I don't really care it.

Same with Windows 10. I switch to 10 when I built my new system earlier this year.
Took some getting used to, and there are a few thinks I don't like, but it seems snappier than 7.
After using it the past few months I'm starting to lean toward preferring it over Windows 7, and plan on upgrading my system at work to 10 when I have the time. :eek:

With classic shell Win 10 works ok. Just don't need the spyware/bloatware, metro, cortana, and all that crap.

Reactions: Pan*
like this
Well, I have been using Windows 10 as my host OS on all my computers since late June of 2015. :) So far, the only issues i have had are usually user caused, meaning I caused them myself. :D

Why would anyone still use classicshell for Win 10? I got rid of it (Start10) once the updated menu was in place. I especially love the right click menus. Very useful.

Last edited:
It has gained the majority share of steam users that have opted into the steam hardware survey though. So it would seem of all segments, gamers have adopted it the most.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
b227021fe067ab86c0379c69e6c7fac4.png

Win10 has been an absolute JOY ever since it hit my household and the office. I'm so HAPPY to part of the people who get to enjoy it's wonderfulness!

At work between the massive changes from Win7 to Win10 in the UI and the UX changes with the touch interface trying to act like a desktop interface it's just been a JOY to try to teach people how things work now versus how things only worked for 2 decades. I mean come on! Who doesn't want all that fun and confusion! I welcome it! Not like I have other work to do!

It was a JOY to watch my wife's laptop reboot on her with zero notification (who wants to be notified anyways?) on 3 different occasions while she was writing grad school papers. Those reboots were OK though. I taught her to use CTRL+S on a frequent basis so her computer can reboot anytime Microsoft says it can. It's not like it's her computer anyways right?

And who cares about the ~3000+ data points Win10 sucks down with just "Basic" telemetry. Not like I want control of the data that flows in and out of my computer anyways! I mean everybody does it. Why not MS?

/s

It has gained the majority share of steam users that have opted into the steam hardware survey though. So it would seem of all segments, gamers have adopted it the most.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
b227021fe067ab86c0379c69e6c7fac4.png

Regardless of participation in the Steam survey, Valve has to know exactly the client OS used to connect to Steam each and every time someone fires us the Steam client, it would be impossible not to know this based on how Steam works. So I don't think the OS percentages are way off because I don't see why Valve would publish them knowing that they were totally out of line with what they have to know precisely to run the business.

I have yet to meet a single person IRL who can actually use Windows 8/10 for work without a start menu replacement.

Microsoft has fragmented their user base with Windows 8/10 and they're risking losing the desktop if a strong competitor enters the market (like a Google Chrome Pro OS) or Linux takes off. I moved to Linux Mint this past October and I've been very happy with the experience.

Regardless of participation in the Steam survey, Valve has to know exactly the client OS used to connect to Steam each and every time someone fires us the Steam client, it would be impossible not to know this based on how Steam works. So I don't think the OS percentages are way off because I don't see why Valve would publish them knowing that they were totally out of line with what they have to know precisely to run the business.

conspiracy theory: Valve wants people on Win10 because it opens the door for SteamOS to be a viable product. It couldn't compete against Win7, but against that turd it starts to look good.
not-so-conspiracy theory #2: Valve is in bed with Microsoft, it was created by former employees after all, and has HQ in same city.

All these companies want a piece of the data-mining pie, Valve isn't excluded just because of their history. Also I've been using a classic skin on steam ever since they went to that eye-rape blue color scheme.

Why would anyone still use classicshell for Win 10? I got rid of it (Start10) once the updated menu was in place. I especially love the right click menus. Very useful.
Because classicshell is free of course. I use and recommend it to my Edge using customers.
When I am eventually forced into Windows 10 on my personal stuff, probably around the Survivors Edition or whatever it will be called, I will take a closer look at Start 10.

conspiracy theory: Valve wants people on Win10 because it opens the door for SteamOS to be a viable product.
Uhh SteamOS is DOA, no matter what Microsoft chooses to do.
Maybe when you can play 80% of your Steam Library including every new AAA game on Linux instead of the current 20%, it might be reborn, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
User interface is only one consideration when talking about OS upgrades... You have to consider that modern PCs don't support Win7,. Eventually some apps will require win 10, overall security should be better sorted at the OS level as well. Microsoft has certainly done some things I don't like but if you want to run Microsoft Windows and migrating to another platfiorn is not viable or desired, Win10 is the way forward.

Think you got that backwards. It's not the hardware that supports the OS. It's the OS that supports the hardware. The hardware is going to run whatever OS you stick on it, so long as that OS supports the hardware. In the PC's case, x86. Win 7 is built to run on x86, but it wasn't build to support all the features of today's hardware. Why we get updates and drivers. The hardware doesn't care about the OS that runs it.

Why I don't see it being the modern PC doesn't support Win 7. If it didn't, it wouldn't run. A modern PC will run every single feature available in Win 7. Win 7 on the other hand, can't fully utilize a modern PC's hardware features.

conspiracy theory: Valve wants people on Win10 because it opens the door for SteamOS to be a viable product. It couldn't compete against Win7, but against that turd it starts to look good.
not-so-conspiracy theory #2: Valve is in bed with Microsoft, it was created by former employees after all, and has HQ in same city.

All these companies want a piece of the data-mining pie, Valve isn't excluded just because of their history. Also I've been using a classic skin on steam ever since they went to that eye-rape blue color scheme.

You don't need conspiracy theories though.

The numbers in the Valve survey are very close to what I constantly see from developers when talking in public (and more often in private) about their sales numbers.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...x-users-on-steam-is-still-holding-steady.9933

This is a web site that Linux folks around here quote religiously, so if they are on the conspiracy please let us know.

PC gaming is Windows gaming, that's just not changed and for all of Windows 10 failings new content on Linux is currently being outpaced by VR content, virtually none of it Linux compatible at this time because at this time the Linux Steam VR now over a year after being production ready for Windows still isn't production ready for Linux. Never mind the other nearly 80% of new games that come to Steam that aren't Linux compatible.

Because classicshell is free of course. I use and recommend it to my Edge using customers.
When I am eventually forced into Windows 10 on my personal stuff, probably around the Survivors Edition or whatever it will be called, I will take a closer look at Start 10.
Start10 and Classicshell are the same. I'm asking why it is necessary to use it. The revised Start menu in Win 10 is almost like the old menu and works just fine.

Start10 and Classicshell are the same. I'm asking why it is necessary to use it. The revised Start menu in Win 10 is almost like the old menu and works just fine.

It looks different and is enabled for touch but with the Creators Update adding tile folders, functionally the current Windows 10 Start Menu isn't that different from Windows 7. Our internal usability tests haven't shown any major issues ASAIK and we'll be rolling out Windows 10 without any UI add-ons. I get issues Windows 8 posed for desktop users, I said from the very beginning that always full screen elements were a problem. I didn't think that it required a lot to adapt but clearly that was not the case.

Usually for a conspiracy theory to gain traction, it at least has to sound plausible. As much as I loathe some practices of Windows 10, so I'm holding off as long as possible, it's delusional to think Linux would be better for gaming. The support just isn't there. SteamOS is an experiment to try not to be completely caught with their pants down if MS had decided to go cartoony evil and lock out Steam from future Windows iterations as a worst case scenario. It's not a viable option, it's the beginning of a tunnel somebody is digging in prison in hopes of escaping one day.

As for the other theory, pretty much nothing about Valve's entire history suggests it's buddy-buddy with Microsoft. Why would Gabe Newell call Windows 8 a catastrophe and "a giant sadness", provoking them into making SteamOS and ramping up Linux support in the first place?

As much as I would love to see Linux be a realistic alternative to Windows for gamers, I imagine the situation isn't going to be drastically different 10+ years from now.

Win10 has been an absolute JOY ever since it hit my household and the office. I'm so HAPPY to part of the people who get to enjoy it's wonderfulness!

At work between the massive changes from Win7 to Win10 in the UI and the UX changes with the touch interface trying to act like a desktop interface it's just been a JOY to try to teach people how things work now versus how things only worked for 2 decades. I mean come on! Who doesn't want all that fun and confusion! I welcome it! Not like I have other work to do!

It was a JOY to watch my wife's laptop reboot on her with zero notification (who wants to be notified anyways?) on 3 different occasions while she was writing grad school papers. Those reboots were OK though. I taught her to use CTRL+S on a frequent basis so her computer can reboot anytime Microsoft says it can. It's not like it's her computer anyways right?

And who cares about the ~3000+ data points Win10 sucks down with just "Basic" telemetry. Not like I want control of the data that flows in and out of my computer anyways! I mean everybody does it. Why not MS?

/s

lol you should take Lombardi's qoute to heart.

It looks different and is enabled for touch but with the Creators Update adding tile folders, functionally the current Windows 10 Start Menu isn't that different from Windows 7. Our internal usability tests haven't shown any major issues ASAIK and we'll be rolling out Windows 10 without any UI add-ons. I get issues Windows 8 posed for desktop users, I said from the very beginning that always full screen elements were a problem. I didn't think that it required a lot to adapt but clearly that was not the case.
I reinstalled classicshell just to see what I might have missed. Going through all the features I think it is the "Documents" option that is the kicker. It is where you can quickly jump back to what you were working on before. The new way to do it is right click on the application if it is pinned to the taskbar or from the Start Menu's program listing.

No, they are 2 different programs. Classicshell is free and Start10 is not.
My older customers don't like change and classicshell can look like the XP or Win 7 start menu, besides the haphazard start menu that Microsoft tacked onto Windows 10 is hideous.
http://classicshell.net
http://www.stardock.com/products/start10
http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...-10-start-menus-start10-vs-classic-shell.html

I reinstalled classicshell just to see what I might have missed. Going through all the features I think it is the "Documents" option that is the kicker. It is where you can quickly jump back to what you were working on before. The new way to do it is right click on the application if it is pinned to the taskbar or from the Start Menu's program listing.

Maybe I'm missing exactly what you're saying but there is Quick Access in File Explorer.

As much as I would love to see Linux be a realistic alternative to Windows for gamers, I imagine the situation isn't going to be drastically different 10+ years from now.

I always get a big kick from Linux gamers. I'm constantly accused of being a Windows fanboy. But I've using Steam since near day one. And I just plopped down nearly $300 USD during the Summer Sale though mostly VR titles. It's hypocritical how I support Steam far more than virtually any Linux gamer does who will praise Steam but call me a Windows fanboy.

While I think classic shell is non sense personally, I can certainly get behind the Linux for all things except gaming, until it can then that too.
Classic Shell is not "nonsense". Nobody is forcing you to install it. It's a third party solution to one major painful problem created by Microsoft. It's a proper stable Win32 app that doesn't hack around with Windows system files or do any dangerous tweaks. On Windows 10, Classic Shell is less useful because Microsoft screwed up the rest of the system in many ugly ways that Classic Shell cannot fix (e.g.forced bloated updates, telemetry and spying, ads and general nagging notifications etc). But use Classic Shell with the right OS e.g. Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 you have an amazing stable, customizable system.

While I have all my systems at home and work upgraded to 10, I do believe that if you look at the news coming out, Microsoft keeps giving people reasons not to upgrade to 10.

While I have all my systems at home and work upgraded to 10, I do believe that if you look at the news coming out, Microsoft keeps giving people reasons not to upgrade to 10.
But if they were to give it away free, everybody would run 10? ;)

The Start Menu in 10 was shit and after the Creators Update it only got worse. Can't even right click the start button to get into Control Panel anymore. Was basically the only good thing about the old Start button.

The Start Menu in 10 was shit and after the Creators Update it only got worse. Can't even right click the start button to get into Control Panel anymore. Was basically the only good thing about the old Start button.

I hear 'ya. So, I pinned Control Panel on the Start Bar close to the Start button.

Back