Windows 10’s Next Major Update To Debut In March

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The first of two major updates that Windows 10 is getting next year is theorized to come in March based on version numbers. We don’t know if “Redstone 2” will have any groundbreaking features to get excited about, but it is worth being mindful of the date anyway, particularly for those who have experienced bigger updates messing up their systems.

Twitter user WalkingCat has discovered several references to "Windows 10 Version 1703" in the latest test versions of Microsoft's operating system. These references refer to the year and month of a release, and Microsoft has previously used the same codes for its Anniversary Update (1607) released in July, and a November update (1511) last year. Microsoft is expected to detail what the company is planning to include in its next major Windows 10 update at a special Surface PC event later this month.

Oh noes, the OS be spying I me. (Blissfully uses internet and has information stolen or intercepted regardless of the OS, browser, plugins or extensions being used.) Also, no proof of any NSA stuff in the OS but hey, says it so it must be true. Have you ever thought of running for office?

I must say, each update makes Win 10 worse. Seemed promising up front, but they just don't seem to care what users want.

FTFY.

Windows 10 and its updates are all about Microsoft and how they can monetize it and use it to funnel people into their built in freemium services as part of their ecosystem.

They know full well what users want. They don't give a rats ass. It's all about whats good for Microsoft, and that - apparently - is not what the customer wants.

Cant wait for what they'll ruin this time...

Most likely going to fix those pesky Cortana and Windows Update workarounds (no offsy's!). I assume that's a priority. Along with removing some other privacy settings as well as getting more ads into the notification center.

Oh, and it'll for sure reinstall the "Get Office" app for the 90th time.

FTFY.

Windows 10 and its updates are all about Microsoft and how they can monetize it and use it to funnel people into their built in freemium services as part of their ecosystem.

Which you almost can't blame them for - they are a business after all. Except their execution is a disaster.

Last edited:
Which you almost can't blame them for - they are a business after all. Except their execution is a disaster.
I don't know, I've never been fond of companies whose business model is to intentionally not give the customer what they want because they've figured out a way to game things for even higher profit.

Windows 10 is dead. It's already losing market share.

How about apologizing, fixing Windows update, and announcing a proper successor to 7? Hell, at this point I'd be perfectly fine with a subscription for extended 7 support or a similar new subscription product as long as there's no data mining or appification bullshit.

Windows 10 is dead. It's already losing market share.
That's a little hyperbolic; I think Windows 10 is going to be around a long time, unfortunately. The better question is how to adapt to the crap it's trying to pull.

That's a little hyperbolic; I think Windows 10 is going to be around a long time, unfortunately. The better question is how to adapt to the crap it's trying to pull.

It's already in decline. 7 gained market share last month. That's never happened before with previous versions of Windows. Users are fed up.

If people don't use 10 there won't be any need to adapt. Microsoft will have to release a better product or risk losing the desktop OS market as badly as they lost the phone market. Microsoft was working on touchscreen devices in the early 90s, but when you ignore your users even that long of a starting advantage is easily squandered.

Please raise your hands if you love the "free" beta operating system.
I have no problem with beta testing I regularly downloaded beta windows versions. Since ME / 2K I tried all versions before general release. What I have a problem with is windows being in a state of constant flux. Anything can happen. They can add ads at their convenience. Take away options. Or remove features. Or add features that break my routine. Only the security updates should be mandatory. Everything else that changes even the slightest thing about usability and features should be strictly on a pick and choose basis.

* looks at OSes chart on StatCounter*

Huh? Tiny decline and it's DEAD?
No other windows version started loosing market share this early in it's life. I would wait a few months to see if the trend continues or this is just a temporary dip before drawing conclusions. But it's telling anyhow. It clearly shows the effects of the free upgrade artificially boosting numbers, but now as update is no longer officially free more people are switching back to previous versions than those updating. Despite almost all new PCs now being delivered with windows 10. So the number of new pcs sold + the upgrades to W10 were less than the number of people saying "fuck it, I'm going back to 7/8.1".

No other windows version started loosing market share this early in it's life. I would wait a few months to see if the trend continues or this is just a temporary dip before drawing conclusions. But it's telling anyhow. It clearly shows the effects of the free upgrade artificially boosting numbers, but now as update is no longer officially free more people are switching back to previous versions than those updating. Despite almost all new PCs now being delivered with windows 10. So the number of new pcs sold + the upgrades to W10 were less than the number of people saying "fuck it, I'm going back to 7/8.1".
You know, that's easy to say, however as time goes on, it's going to become more and more difficult for the average user to obtain older copies of Windows and have it support everything they use. There's going to be a lot of people who have to move to Windows 10 eventually, whether they like it or not. It's not like in 5 years Windows 7 will have taken 20% more of the market. That just doesn't happen with a product that a company is trying to kill off. While a lot of people are fed up with 10 and are moving back to 7 RIGHT NOW, for the average person, their options become more limited as time goes on.

You know, that's easy to say, however as time goes on, it's going to become more and more difficult for the average user to obtain older copies of Windows and have it support everything they use. There's going to be a lot of people who have to move to Windows 10 eventually, whether they like it or not. It's not like in 5 years Windows 7 will have taken 20% more of the market. That just doesn't happen with a product that a company is trying to kill off. While a lot of people are fed up with 10 and are moving back to 7 RIGHT NOW, for the average person, their options become more limited as time goes on.

Windows XP still has more market share than Windows 8. If Windows 10 numbers are already dropping then it's the worst received Windows yet and I suspect 7 will long-outlast it.

Microsoft can choose not to profit off of 7 (or a good successor to 7), but anyone who wants 7 will be able to find it online for as long as they want. Yeah, you won't get updates, but Windows Update has been broken for over a year for paying customers anyway.

Quoting a book review: This is not an operating system to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown away with great force. :D

So far the only problems Ive had with Windows 10 has been from other users and software incompatibility. I have to bring my mac to run some of the software as funny as it sounds.

I am a user and these are what I need a PC to do:

1)Surf web without spies/ads/collecting my info
2)Pay Bills online
3)Game fraggin n00bs
4)Office stuff
5)USB and Cd burning tools
6)Use latest and fastest PC hardware
7)Stability

If windows continue to build improved spying and lurking OS, I will dump windows and move to Linux for online/everyday PC use. The windows machine will be only used to frag gaming. Starting to get irriated that windows 10 collects my info and doesn't give me a choice to say no. Only way to say no is not to install windows. Kinda reminds me of dictatorship. :confused:

The fact that people are forced to use it because of diminishing hardware and software support for previous releases is not something I'd bring up in defence of Windows 10. It's like saying see, people like to eat shit while you point a gun at them and tell them to eat shit.

FTFY.

They know full well what users want. They don't give a rats ass. It's all about whats good for Microsoft, and that - apparently - is not what the customer wants.

What freemium services? Bull much? LOL There are issues with their new quick release system and they do need to resolve them but, there are no freemium services in Windows 10.

My work PC got the Windows 10 update this week and the PC know runs noticeably slower.

Not sure what happened, but it's just a lot slower.

My work PC got the Windows 10 update this week and the PC know runs noticeably slower.

Is the computer running off a hard drive? Also, is the the latest Anniversary update? If it is running on a hard drive, disabling the superfetch service may help. Also, is the hard drive running at 100% or is the cpu running at 100% usage? The only two slowness issues I have seen normally are caused when the hard drive is being used 100% of the time. Let me know.

More effective data collection and locking out user installed mods/improvements takes time.

I believe that some nic teaming issues are fixed in Redstone 2, so for users running workstations and moving lots of data, they will want it for sure.

Is the computer running off a hard drive? Also, is the the latest Anniversary update? If it is running on a hard drive, disabling the superfetch service may help. Also, is the hard drive running at 100% or is the cpu running at 100% usage? The only two slowness issues I have seen normally are caused when the hard drive is being used 100% of the time. Let me know.

I think it's HDD-related. Loading applications and all that stuff seems to take longer.

I need to make a bingo card with all the possible changes. Or start a betting pool. Group policies removed, MS services bundled, ads added, telemetry added/enforced, deeper cortana integration/harder to turn off, performance improvements, performance degradation, buggy patch that has to be rolled back and/or re-patched, settings/control panel items moved somewhere, reversion of some features to the Win7 style, 3rd party programs uninstalled... that's 11. Can we come up with another 13 to make a full bingo card (with a free space)?

I need to make a bingo card with all the possible changes. Or start a betting pool. Group policies removed, MS services bundled, ads added, telemetry added/enforced, deeper cortana integration/harder to turn off, performance improvements, performance degradation, buggy patch that has to be rolled back and/or re-patched, settings/control panel items moved somewhere, reversion of some features to the Win7 style, 3rd party programs uninstalled... that's 11. Can we come up with another 13 to make a full bingo card (with a free space)?

Sounds like a Microsoft employee! :joyful:

I'm not going to check, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Win 10 adoption rate was worse than 7 even though when people actually paid money for the latter.

I'm also willing to bet no big game developer is going to abandon DX11 before 2020.

Built a lot of DOS/3.1/3.11/95/98/98SE/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 and 10 machines in my time (never built a ME machine thankfully). The 10 machines have all been fine. Super smooth and work perfectly.

Some folks just won't admit they can't build a decent PC and should let someone else do it. Things change you just have to move with them. If you don't want to, then quit whining and move the fuck aside.

I'm also willing to bet no big game developer is going to abandon DX11 before 2020.
Oh yeah, 2020 minimum. No big publisher (besides Microsoft itself) is going to have a DX12 exclusive game in the next few years. It's DX10 all over because they're tying it to the OS. Somebody can fact check, but I think it was almost 6 years between when DX10 came out and when we had major developers releasing anything that required higher than DX9. Conversely, DX9 didn't require XP, and we had major DX9 exclusive titles in about 1 year.

I stated the problem. Getting pasty faced over people having genuine issues lol.
My solution is to use Windows 7.

Not, you posted crap dressed up as nothing at all. That is not the problem. Solutions do not normally require nuking from orbit and going back.

Back