Windows 10, Z170 and Wi-Fi question

Discussion in 'Intel MoBos' started by bobGrump, Dec 12, 2015.

1. bobGrump

bobGrump n00b

I am looking at building a new system. I will be running Win 10 and will need wi-fi (either by on board or add in card). I've read a lot of reviews of add-in cards having problems under Win 10. So I'm looking at the Asus deluxe, since it has built in wi-fi. Is anyone running this under Win 10? It seems all the reviews are running Win 8.1.
    Does anyone have experience with Win 10, Wi-fi and Z170 boards?

As nice as the Asus Deluxe is, I would prefer not to have to spend $320 on the motherboard, if an add-in card will work.

Any info is appreciated.

2. mls1995

mls1995 2[H]4U

I have that board (it's great) but I don't use the wifi. Instead I use a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 as a bridge. I'd suspect an R7000 as a bridge would destroy any add in card.

I will say that the Win 10 drivers seem really stable overall at this point.

3. Eldata

Eldata Limp Gawd

4. bobGrump

bobGrump n00b

Eldata
    that looks like a great board. wish it had 8 sata ports,but otherwise exactly what i want. Have you seen anything about availabilty?

5. Eldata

Eldata Limp Gawd

6. mls1995

mls1995 2[H]4U

Just FYI I didn't consider the Hero bc the PCB is said to be razer thin. Not sure if it will be the same with the new board. I started with a Gigabyte Gaming 7 (which may or may not have been defective, not 100% sure looking back) and now I'm on a Deluxe.

For my other media PC, I had an Asus Maximus Gene that was a complete piece of garbage. Ended up redoing the whole build with a Asus Pro Gaming mobo that has worked perfectly fine.

OP, consider whether you really want onboard wifi, an add in card (iffy from what I've read) or a regular mobo and a router in bridge mode. As I've said before, I'd probably recommend a quality router in bridge mode as that's what I've been using for years.

7. bobGrump

bobGrump n00b

Honestly I prefer not to use wifi. I'm moving to New Mexico and I'm not sure if I will be able to get hard wired ethernet in my office. I've never tried a router in bridge mode. How is that done. I assume it connects via the network port and then connects to the modem via wifi?

8. mls1995

mls1995 2[H]4U

Here's a link. But I've been using bridge mode to my gaming PC for 5 years now with zero problems other than occasionally (once or twice a month) power cycling the bridge router.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/d...nd-how-do-i-set-it-up-on-my-nighthawk-router?

9. bobGrump

bobGrump n00b

thanks, that's an interesting idea. The R7000 is out of my price point, but I'll look at the other nighthawks and see if they support wireless bridge mode.