Windows 10: Your thoughts so far?

I wonder if I am in the minority. Windows 8 was hated by so many. I thought it was fine but I did use a start menu replacement until 8.1 came around.

But I have to say, I never experienced many problems with Windows 8 and I experience lots with Windows 10, some are drivers and have been ironed out. One update (in the last week) screwed up Windows so bad on my daughter's computer that the only option I had was to restore it factory. Even restoring it and keeping all my data was buggy as hell and system restore didn't work either.

Honestly I just reverted back to Windows 8.1 after trying out Windows 10 for about 3 weeks. I have to say that I like W10 interface more as it comes across as cleaner and less stuffy. However, I ran into a problem with terrible stuttering that I couldn't resolve no matter what I tried.

Mandatory updates just got another "heck no" from me last week. Sister's laptop installed an update from MS for Outlook. It broke outlook, and the various fixes we tried ended up breaking Windows itself. It was a sufficiently widespread problem that MS pulled the fix. That didn't help my sister, whose computer was still broken.

When Microsoft can guarantee to at least four 9's that their patches and updates will 1) do what they're supposed to do, 2) not break anything, and 3) not introduce "features" that are to their benefit at my expense, then I might consider turning on automatic updates. Until then, no thanks.

A business owner (that my employer recently started servicing) bought into the w10 crapola and threw out his win server2008 and replaced it with a windows 10 home "server" since it's so great. Various shares are kept on it, including the quickbooks database that his employees use. Well, today they were calling like crazy cause quickbooks didn't work, and their customers need stuff done right NOW. I go over there and see that the "server" is updating to the November update. Tough luck, wait it out :)). Of course the update isn't finished until you login to finish the update while telling you how nothing was changed (except it deleted the AV and the administrator account). The nice touch is W10 doing the update during business hours. Can't wait for the "workstations" to do the same :).

A business owner (that my employer recently started servicing) bought into the w10 crapola and threw out his win server2008 and replaced it with a windows 10 home "server" since it's so great. Various shares are kept on it, including the quickbooks database that his employees use. Well, today they were calling like crazy cause quickbooks didn't work, and their customers need stuff done right NOW. I go over there and see that the "server" is updating to the November update. Tough luck, wait it out :)). Of course the update isn't finished until you login to finish the update while telling you how nothing was changed (except it deleted the AV and the administrator account). The nice touch is W10 doing the update during business hours. Can't wait for the "workstations" to do the same :).

I cannot believe you are for real. Blaming something totally unrelated because, according to you, they used something not designed for the purpose intended. How about helping your customer instead and getting them over to a proper domain and client setup. The problem is described is not a Windows 10 issue but a network configuration and setup issue.

The person who setup this network was not familiar with how to do it correctly that is all. (At least according to the information you provided, assuming you are actually not just talking out your ass.) :D

I posted the story for the entertainment value.
In relation to M$ the thing to blame is the way they took control of the update process. This kind of thing wouldn't have happened with previous versions of Windows.
I cannot believe you are for real. Blaming something totally unrelated because, according to you, they used something not designed for the purpose intended. How about helping your customer instead and getting them over to a proper domain and client setup. The problem is described is not a Windows 10 issue but a network configuration and setup issue.

The person who setup this network was not familiar with how to do it correctly that is all. (At least according to the information you provided, assuming you are actually not just talking out your ass.) :D

Say hi to Bill on your way out.

I posted the story for the entertainment value.
In relation to M$ the thing to blame is the way they took control of the update process. This kind of thing wouldn't have happened with previous versions of Windows.

Want to bet? If you used Windows XP or Windows 7 home as a "server" with updates running, you would have probably ended up with the same if not worse issues. The reality is, this happened because someone setup a system that was not designed to be used in that manner, not because it was Windows 10.

I've tried to load Win 10 several times all without success on my rig.
I loaded a couple of versions of the previews early on and initially the earlier previews ran okay.
I cloned my drive and went with the MS up date path and it ran okay for about 3-4 weeks but it was such a pain to find anything with all those puerile name changes and the intransigent start menu pissed me off that I simply unhooked the drive and went back to the more intuitive Win 7

Later on I retried to boot the Win 10 SSD and had all kinds of hassles trying to get it to boot.
Wasted a lot of time on the Auto Repair, Auto Diagnostic loop.
In the end I wiped the drive and re cloned it with the current Win 7 drive.

I know there had been a substantial update package recently so thought I'd give 10 another go.
Same old same old. I know it wasn't a clean install and that's the way to go, but I thought to start off with I'd see if there was any improvement. I hoped this might be later version or that the later updates would maybe have stabilised some of the issues I'd had earlier on.

I had major problems getting my pc to see the drive and once the update started, after the first reboot I got a message that there was no bootable media and to load a bootable drive or something to that effect.

By swapping SSD's and running the Win 7 SSD for a while, shutting down and swapping drives again and also changing the Sata lead to the Win 10 SSD I was able to stumble through and after a couple of times get the Win 10 up and running. Until I rebooted and immediately got the same "No bootable media" message!
So trying to run Win 10 on my rig simply won't work.
I can get it to boot, only if I shut down after I get the message about bootable media, but have to swap back to the Win 7 SSD and boot and shut down, only then will I be able to swap out the Win 7 SSD for the Win 10 SSD and get it to load!?!?!?

So I thought, I wonder if I revert back to Win 7, will the drive be bootable or will I still get the no media message.

After much SSD swapping and booting and shutting down and re booting I finally got the Win 10 SSD back to Win 7, and guess what? it boots as sweet as a nut, every time.
I was at a social function the other night and Win 10 came up and after relaying my story there were 4 others with identical horror stories from the upgrade path.

Win 7 pro is solid on my machine, I'll try a clean install of 10 on one of my old mechanical drives, but as so far I've wasted so soooo much time playing around for what I can see as no benefit whatsoever.
I am convinced that by moving across to 10, it's only making it easier for MS to dig their hooks in deeper and I'm not sure I want to go that path.

I'm playing with Linux Mint 17.3 and like what I've found with that.
I'm much more comfortable with 7 though and making the definitive switch is proving hard.

10 has been a total waste of time and effort for me though.

I loaded a couple of versions of the previews early on and initially the earlier previews ran okay.
I cloned my drive and went with the MS up date path and it ran okay for about 3-4 weeks but it was such a pain to find anything with all those puerile name changes and the intransigent start menu pissed me off that I simply unhooked the drive and went back to the more intuitive Win 7

Later on I retried to boot the Win 10 SSD and had all kinds of hassles trying to get it to boot.

I know there had been a substantial update package recently so thought I'd give 10 another go.
Same old same old. I know it wasn't a clean install and that's the way to go, but I thought to start off with I'd see if there was any improvement. I hoped this might be later version or that the later updates would maybe have stabilised some of the issues I'd had earlier on.

I had major problems getting my pc to see the drive and once the update started, after the first reboot I got a message that there was no bootable media and to load a bootable drive or something to that effect.

By swapping SSD's and running the Win 7 SSD for a while, shutting down and swapping drives again and also changing the Sata lead to the Win 10 SSD I was able to stumble through and after a couple of times get the Win 10 up and running. Until I rebooted and immediately got the same "No bootable media" message!
I can get it to boot, only if I shut down after I get the message about bootable media, but have to swap back to the Win 7 SSD and boot and shut down, only then will I be able to swap out the Win 7 SSD for the Win 10 SSD and get it to load!?!?!?

So I thought, I wonder if I revert back to Win 7, will the drive be bootable or will I still get the no media message.

After much SSD swapping and booting and shutting down and re booting I finally got the Win 10 SSD back to Win 7, and guess what? it boots as sweet as a nut, every time.
I was at a social function the other night and Win 10 came up and after relaying my story there were 4 others with identical horror stories from the upgrade path.

Win 7 pro is solid on my machine, I'll try a clean install of 10 on one of my old mechanical drives, but as so far I've wasted so soooo much time playing around for what I can see as no benefit whatsoever.
I am convinced that by moving across to 10, it's only making it easier for MS to dig their hooks in deeper and I'm not sure I want to go that path.

I'm much more comfortable with 7 though and making the definitive switch is proving hard.

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. I agree with you. I've had nothing but problems with 10.
I really wanted it to be everything that MS said. I like new tech but for now I'll stick with 8.1. P.S. What the hell is a raglafart, lol

Last edited:

I have had the same problem with booting, and there are people that have posted online that running a repair with Windows 10 three times (yes, three) it will finally repair and be able to boot Win 10. There is something changed in the bootloader for 10 that conflicts if you install to other drives, swap drives, etc. One thing to try is a secure erase of the SSD, and just install Win 10 to it with only the OS drive connected, get everything booting and rebooting, then put the rest of the drives in. It's a bit of black magic to fix it I think.

I have had the same problem with booting, and there are people that have posted online that running a repair with Windows 10 three times (yes, three) it will finally repair and be able to boot Win 10. There is something changed in the bootloader for 10 that conflicts if you install to other drives, swap drives, etc. One thing to try is a secure erase of the SSD, and just install Win 10 to it with only the OS drive connected, get everything booting and rebooting, then put the rest of the drives in. It's a bit of black magic to fix it I think.

I didn't give up on the repair loop and I was way beyond running it 3 times! It would boot once in about 7 or 8 attempts. I kept at it just out of dumb obstinacy.

In the end it wore me down.

I was thinking is it just my rig, but why does Win 7 run so sweetly.

Now it seems I'm certainly not alone and from all accounts it's a reasonably widespread phenomena.

I can't see Microsoft recovering from yet another iteration of an unfinished half baked OS full of promise but little else.

Like everything else in life, nothing that's worth anything comes for FREE except maybe air and MS sure are full of that!

Maybe in Windows 10 you have to repair 10 times or more ;-) You may need to totally secure erase both SSDs to get it to play nice. I have had several problems in Win 10 that really boil down to poor design. MS needs to look at usability better.

I just cant get excited about Windows 10...or even vaguely interested.

Built or upgraded about 30 machines for customers so far. I have the Pro versions on a few machines and yet there is Candy Crush Saga and XBox...

It looks like a Media Center/Kids PC OS, not a 'serious' OS. The layout is messy and the legacy stuff sticks out a mile. MS Just sticks in more crap I don't need that I can't get rid of.

More stuff just means more attack vectors. I'd like to minimise/remove the unused stuff as much as possible. Really needs a custom install option.

All the repair and fixing stuff they built in is total crap. It just wastes time and raises false hope. I'll take back my old F8 Safe Mode and go from there thanks.

QA testing of updates and drivers just seems to have gone down the toilet with 10. Stuff was pretty solid with 7 to 8 but its got really poor since.

Odd as it sounds but I now prefer the look and feel of 8.1. In fact 10 has turned me off so much instead of buying a new Windows 10 laptop I got a Dell 13 Chromebook. Love it!

Last edited:
I have windows 10 on four of my five computers. Only one without it is my gaming machine which is the 5930k. Others seem fine. My 4930k actually gets used more for photo editing and Web browsing and I haven't had any major issues.

Back