Windows 10: Your thoughts so far?

Just updated two more tablets today doing a clean install on both. One a 2 GB RAM 64 GB storage Asus Vivotab Note 8 and the other a 1 GB RAM 32 GB storage Nextbook 10.1. Both seem to run as well overall as they did under 8.1.

So far, the only real problem I have had is that the Cisco VPN client does not support Windows 10 yet. Otherwise, I am enjoying it very much and getting folks over to it as well. Have been getting customers over to Windows 10 from 7 and 8.1 all week, with their approval.

Just updated two more tablets today doing a clean install on both. One a 2 GB RAM 64 GB storage Asus Vivotab Note 8 and the other a 1 GB RAM 32 GB storage Nextbook 10.1. Both seem to run as well overall as they did under 8.1.
Only as well or better?

My father in law has a 3GB laptop running Vista. I'm wondering if he'll see a significant performance increase with 10. I was going to upgrade him to at least 4GB but on my installs so far Win 10 seems really light and it may not need it.

How is yours playing with those low RAM configurations?

Seems to be a few bugs still floating around judging from what Im reading on forums. Think I might hang onto Win7 for a while til they get things smoothed out a little better. My rig is running near flawlessly right now and I dont think I want to tempt fate with it.

After doing the clean install I really like it so far. Its faster and more responsive the Windows 7, and also from a cold boot is super fast. I like the new start menu, so much better the Windows 8.1. I hated the layout of Windows 8.1, the second and especially the third page was just a mess!! The Windows 10 start menu can be buggy at times but very minor, sometimes apps don't pin right away and I have to log off and back on, then they are pinned. When Windows 8 (not 8.1) came out it was just a god awful mess for a desktop computer, I went right back to Windows 7!! Windows 8.1 was much better, but still Windows 10 is worlds better then it.

I really like the taskview feature where you can see all your windows and pick the one you want to be focused. But I find the key combo (windows key+tab) to be cumbersome, so I used logitech's lgs software to bind it to one of the buttons on my g502, didn't think it would work with the windows key but it works great. Dunno if it'll work with other mouse software though. One click taskview = win.

After doing the clean install I really like it so far. Its faster and more responsive the Windows 7, and also from a cold boot is super fast. I like the new start menu, so much better the Windows 8.1. I hated the layout of Windows 8.1, the second and especially the third page was just a mess!! The Windows 10 start menu can be buggy at times but very minor, sometimes apps don't pin right away and I have to log off and back on, then they are pinned. When Windows 8 (not 8.1) came out it was just a god awful mess for a desktop computer, I went right back to Windows 7!! Windows 8.1 was much better, but still Windows 10 is worlds better then it.

yeah no shit is better than a nine years old os duh, but as win 8 being the new xp this is the new vista, like x32 vista in comparison with x32 xp with an added google envy feature lol

yeah no shit is better than a nine years old os duh, but as win 8 being the new xp this is the new vista, like x32 vista in comparison with x32 xp with an added google envy feature lol

cool story, bro. :rolleyes:

Anyways, it's a free upgrade for everyone except XP users for whom it is a big upgrade. It has some nifty things imo, notifications, directx 12, wddm 2.0, cortana, edge, taskview, virtual desktops, etc. and seems slightly better in most benchmarks. At this point, OSes are pretty mature and the point in most cases is to get out of the way and stably and securely run user apps, which it does. Now if your gripe is that it doesn't have the Win 7 looking start menu, well someone will probably write an app for that, so that those people can indulge in their nostalgia.

Last edited:
cool story, bro. :rolleyes:

Anyways, it's a free upgrade for everyone except XP users for whom it is a big upgrade. It has some nifty things imo, notifications, directx 12, wddm 2.0, cortana, edge, taskview, virtual desktops, etc. and seems slightly better in most benchmarks. At this point, OSes are pretty mature and the point in most cases is to get out of the way and stably and securely run user apps, which it does. Now if your gripe is that it doesn't have the Win 7 looking start menu, well someone will probably write an app for that, so that those people can indulge in their nostalgia.

dude, who you quoting with this win 7 crap lol

Anyways, it's a free upgrade for everyone except XP users for whom it is a big upgrade

It's not a free upgrade for Vista users either - the free upgrade is valid only for legit activated installations of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

Only as well or better?

My father in law has a 3GB laptop running Vista. I'm wondering if he'll see a significant performance increase with 10. I was going to upgrade him to at least 4GB but on my installs so far Win 10 seems really light and it may not need it.

How is yours playing with those low RAM configurations?

So far so good. The 2GB Asus VivoTab is running quite smoothly but it did in Windows 8.1 as well. The Edge browser does seem to run even better than IE 11 on both of the devices. The Nextbook will chug here and there, it did as well in 8.1.

3GB should be plenty for a basic PC for web browsing, media playback, medium office automation loads.

dude, who you quoting with this win 7 crap lol

You're not giving a lot of information in your posts, and I did say 'if your gripe is' not 'your gripe is'.

It's not a free upgrade for Vista users either - the free upgrade is valid only for legit activated installations of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

Ah, slipped my mind. Of course Vista is barely beating out Linux in market share according to netmarketshare.com, and win 10 is still a pretty big leap for Vista users..

Ran a clean install for a couple of days but no, I am not going to deal with this os at its current state. The forced driver updates alone are enough for me to say...f*ck that!

Saw an advertising blurb from Microsoft claiming Win10 is more secure. Someone please explain what makes it more secure than 8.1.

Finally got my wife's machine up and running. For some reason the Nvidia drivers for Windows 10 kept sending an "out of range" signal to her monitor. Oddly, I plugged the monitor into my system (which worked fine) and then it started working on hers, too. Never seen anything like it before.

Anyway, no other issues. As long as you don't go overboard installing things without a reboot (or running CCleaner too soon after your install), it tends to work well enough. Most Windows 8 drivers work for unsupported hardware like old printers and wi-fi adapters.

Ran a clean install for a couple of days but no, I am not going to deal with this os at its current state. The forced driver updates alone are enough for me to say...f*ck that!

Pulled from a post in another thread:

Here’s how to prevent automatic driver updates in Windows 10:

Navigate to Control Panel>System and click Advanced System Settings
Open the “Hardware” tab and click the Device Installation Settings button
Change the setting to “No, let me choose what to do” and then enable the option to “Never install driver software from Windows Update
Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Installed it yesterday and so far its decent. The start menu is MUCH better than the big loud AOL For Kids tiles of Windows 8, and much easier on the eyes. But better than Windows 7 start menu its not, so... Classic Shell it is. I already work with the old one intuitively and see no reason to learn the new one. But atleast I dont have to consider people prefering the new Win10 Start Menu delusional like I did Windows 8 apologists. *flamesuit on*

Too much crapware. There is so much information sharing stuff toggled on by default, you have to go through the settings with a comb to disable them all. And so much stuff I honest to god dont need. Piss off OneDrive, power of the clouds can kiss my ass.

However I am having some freezing issues. Not sure if its my system or something I have installed, but it has now frozen twice when I clicked the show hidden icons on my task bar. Anyone else having this happen?

I have it on both of my machines now, seems alright besides its total and complete refusal to play HDMI audio on either setup.

I have it on both of my machines now, seems alright besides its total and complete refusal to play HDMI audio on either setup.

Something to try - go into your audio settings Enhancements tab and check the box for "Disable All Enhancements." On the Insider Releases that was the only way to get it to work with Nvidia HDMI.

Saw an advertising blurb from Microsoft claiming Win10 is more secure. Someone please explain what makes it more secure than 8.1.

Probably forced updates more than anything. You have to take all their marketing BS down to lowest common denominator.

In reality, it's more secure but also more broken. But it's new and shiny!

Upgraded two machines over the weekend.
The only problem I've encountered so far is a weird permissions issue on a shared folder that points to a Linux box. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet, so it may or may not be a minor fix.

Besides that, everything else is working just fine, I'm finding the new Start menu to be more useful than I thought it would be, I've been populating it with tiles that link to my "second tier" apps, stuff I don't use daily, but do use on a fairly regular basis (utilities, calculator, remote desktop connection, maps, etc...), the stuff I use daily are in the task bar itself.

I'm also trying to utilize the virtual desktops feature, it's one of things that seems like it could be pretty useful, but would require learning some new habits in order to really take advantage of it.

Probably forced updates more than anything. You have to take all their marketing BS down to lowest common denominator.

A big one being securing against credential theft in "pass-the-hash" scenarios by segregating tokens to a "virtual" environment.

Upgraded my Surface Pro 2 yesterday.

My only real gripe is that they don't provide any way of generating a key that you can just type into the installer. This means that to do a clean install on the Surface, you have to first do an upgrade, and THEN wipe the disk and do a clean install. Seems unnecessarily difficult, given that they're just giving this away.

Other than that, the only thing wrong that I've noticed is that "Edge" seems to crash when launching in tablet mode.

Upgraded my Surface Pro 2 yesterday.

My only real gripe is that they don't provide any way of generating a key that you can just type into the installer. This means that to do a clean install on the Surface, you have to first do an upgrade, and THEN wipe the disk and do a clean install. Seems unnecessarily difficult, given that they're just giving this away.

Other than that, the only thing wrong that I've noticed is that "Edge" seems to crash when launching in tablet mode.

I don't think you actually have to do an upgrade install first. If you download the install tool and slap it on a USB drive, you can run the installer from Windows, at least Windows 8.1 which was on all of the devices I tried this with, and select "Keep nothing". It's create a backup image of the old install that you have to delete afterwards to free up space but I didn't have to do an upgrade install first. Did this on three tablets yesterday and it worked perfectly.

With its peer to peer for updates, spyware all over the place and wireless connect for contact list I'm thinking it is probably less secure.

Pulled from a post in another thread:

Here’s how to prevent automatic driver updates in Windows 10:

Navigate to Control Panel>System and click Advanced System Settings
Open the “Hardware” tab and click the Device Installation Settings button
Change the setting to “No, let me choose what to do” and then enable the option to “Never install driver software from Windows Update
Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

But what if someone wants driver updates but not video driver updates?

Seems OneDrive can no longer be stored on a removable drive. Way to F the Surface Pro users with limited primary storage.

I don't think you actually have to do an upgrade install first. If you download the install tool and slap it on a USB drive, you can run the installer from Windows, at least Windows 8.1 which was on all of the devices I tried this with, and select "Keep nothing". It's create a backup image of the old install that you have to delete afterwards to free up space but I didn't have to do an upgrade install first. Did this on three tablets yesterday and it worked perfectly.

Will it activate?

Everything I read suggested that yes, you could get it to install that way, but it would then not know what its license key was, and would thus eventually refuse to activate with MS.

Will it activate?

Everything I read suggested that yes, you could get it to install that way, but it would then not know what its license key was, and would thus eventually refuse to activate with MS.

All three machines I installed this way activated fine.

The heck? My 2nd generation Surface Pro has been awesome. I'll admit, I don't use it that much at home, but when I'm in the field, it's amazing.

The Surface Pro line I think has always been fairly popular but the Pro 3 cranked it up a notch. The Surface RT line of course was DOA but the Atom line Surface 3 seems to be doing much better. Windows 10 overall I think overall is a better hybrid OS than 8 though the tablet side isn't as elegant.

The heck? My 2nd generation Surface Pro has been awesome. I'll admit, I don't use it that much at home, but when I'm in the field, it's amazing.

There's no use case for a Surface Pro over a laptop or an iPad. It attempts to hybridize both and fails.

There's no use case for a Surface Pro over a laptop or an iPad. It attempts to hybridize both and fails.

Not sure if you're referring to just the original Surface Pro but there's quite a bit of difference between the original Surface Pro running Windows 8.0 and a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. There is one use case that I know is niche but still has a following that will spend money on Windows device that are good at it and that's inking.

Windows 10 seems to have closed the gap on the viability of a hybrid OS. While 10 isn't as elegant as 8 in some ways on tablets it is effective. My wife has been using 10 on her tablet for a few days and she's pick it up fine. One thing that does make it easier is having the task bar and other chrome on screen what 8 didn't have. And 10 certainly gets the consensus as been a much better desktop OS than 8.x.

I forced the upgrade on a brother-in-law's low end Inspiron 6605 Pentium desktop Sunday night over TeamViewer. He was running 7 and had the advert in his task bar but hadn't don't the reservation. He'd been complaining about various things but his machine did look fine to me. He had plenty of disk space so I asked him if wanted to do the upgrade and he said yes so the download started and I said just let it do it's thing and it should be good to go in a few hours.

It worked perfectly from what we could tell. All of his existing apps seem to be in place though the defaults did get overridden. He said it didn't have to do, in his words "shit" and the machine just rebooted a few times before everything was done he said so I don't know if of when there was a dialog to keep the app defaults. One thing I noticed, at least over TeamViewer the machine was MUCH faster and more responsive than under 7. On his end he did say it seemed faster to him.

Most painless thing I've ever done remotely and it was of all things an OS upgrade.

Upgraded from 7 earlier this week. So far everything seems to work just fine - including my Xfi HD, which I wasn't expecting.

I'm still configuring everything, but overall seems to be pretty quick and easy to use.

Heat, I'm assuming that even on your desktop PC you're using Start in full screen mode. :D

Last edited:
Back