Windows 10: Your thoughts so far?

thanks, that worked, it was under region... thanks again..

Coming from the preview, search is still broken and so is scaling (not sure if this is nvidia issue or windows though).

So far I've had no issues with it. I did not use the preview versions so I'm brand new to Windows 10. Definitely prefer it over 8.1; But still prefer Windows 7 over 10. Primarily due to less clutter in menus and overall navigation flows better IMO. I will keep Windows 10 on my laptop and secondary PC; But my main rig will remain on Windows 7

So at this time, I think it's an excellent step forward from MS.

What I've seen:

Nvidia Drivers did not install. I downloaded the latest from NVIDIA and had no problems. GTX 780 Ti with Triple monitor setup.

Something happened - I got this message when I was trying to set up a 64bit and 32bit USB drive using the tool. Eventually just chose 64bit and that worked fine. Also used the tool to download both ISO files for future use.

Activation - I've run into multiple license key activation issues. One on my desktop using my Technet Win 7 Ult 64bit key, it would not accept the key during the upgrade process. So I rebooted the computer, it completed the upgrade and activated automatically just fine. A laptop of mine (Samsung Ativ Book 4) has a legit Windows 8.1 install, however Windows 10 does not accept it's license key.
My MSI GE70 laptop took a clean install just fine and activated, but went from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Home.

Haven't tested any other machines yet.

Upgraded my gaming rig just fine and no issues on my Surface Pro 3 as well. My Alienware is having issues on the reboot and won't complete the install, which I am currently researching. Other than that, loving it. On the Surface the switching to and from tablet mode is great.

The Edge browser is really fast. It is as good as any other except that it currently does not support extensions in any capacity. Maybe when they fix this, I will switch to it.

Not a whole lot i like so far. On my laptop i essentially had to right click and disable every live tile because it was consuming enough cpu to keep my fan ramped up without even touching the start menu :rolleyes:. Minimize/window/close buttons are too big and do not format correctly to many programs making the ugly UI even worse.

I can't seem to find a way to disable "pc status: at risk" after disabling windows defender.

Is there anyway to make right click and selecting personalize/display settings open the control panel versions of these instead of a the annoying tablet styled windows?

I have some problems as well on clean install W10 64 bit

ATI drivers failed to install once, second time seems so far so good
TRIXX is not W10 ready it crashes
Creative Recon3Di give 3 errors during install, and control panel does not work under 10 only basic sound drivers
CoreTemp is reporting temps much higher on W10 compared to W7
Edge doesnt work on half my websites so back to FireFox I go
Intel chipset did not install
Intel RST performance features for my RAID0 SSD's cannot be changed

WOT and WOS works
Warthunder works
GTA5 Fails to launch

Have not tried other games yet
It seems a little better launch than Vista had but theres still a lot to be done! Drivers! We need good W10 64 bit drivers FFS!

No problems on my gaming PC other than I actually liked the old Metro start screen. My PC is connected to the TV and I use it from the couch so it was nice to be able to switch back and forth between the Desktop and Metro with the windows key. DPI settings seem kind of weird. I also had hacked drivers for my onboard Realtek that enabled DDLive and DTS output over TOSLINK; they don't work in Windows10 so I'm back to stereo and will probably need to buy a new sound card.

It works fine on my tablet other than it's another place where Metro/desktop switching was nice and the alarm not working this morning.

I have some issues, but this much I'll say. It is freaking fast!

I don't think Edge is so much a faster browser as the entire damn OS is multitudes faster when browsing with any web browser.

It's the biggest speed increase I've ever seen in a windows upgrade.

I can't believe I actually had to say that.

The Edge browser is really fast. It is as good as any other except that it currently does not support extensions in any capacity. Maybe when they fix this, I will switch to it.

The only thing the Edge browser really has going for it is it's speed. Here's some of its problems:

- The title bar, url bar, and favorites bar all take up way too much space and are too thick, probably because it's supposed to be used on a tablet. It should detect whether or not you're in desktop mode/tablet mode and adjust these sizes accordingly.
- The settings leave a lot to be desired.
- Separating and combining tabs is clunky - when you separate them they spawn in a default spot instead of the spot you dragged. When you combine tabs they spawn a "New Tab" window afterwards.
- Context menu is odd,
- There's no way to open new tabs to a specific page. Only the first Edge window instance is able to be opened to a specific page, new tabs are resigned to "top sites" or a simple "blank page"

It's way better than the Metro IE in Win 8.1, but still clunky and tabletey compared to the regular desktop browsers.

Thank you for reminding me that I could do a reset. I am doing that on 2 computers now that were slow booting after the upgrade was done. Already backed up the data anyways so it is worth a try.

Yeah, I chose the "keep nothing" option from the upgrade tool menu to avoid as many issues as I could. I had already backed up everything. So far so good.

Still debating if I should go ahead an delete the Windows.old folder...its taking 18gigs of my SSD. Any reason I should keep?

Not a whole lot i like so far. On my laptop i essentially had to right click and disable every live tile because it was consuming enough cpu to keep my fan ramped up without even touching the start menu :rolleyes:.

First thing I did was disable the live tiles and remove all the extras from the start menu. I may play with it later but for now it was too much clutter.

Also, I think window title bars should have color

There was a time we used to be able to make the interface our own.

Now, it's take their no-contrast, eye-destroying, tablet-mimicking lazy bullshit.

And don't get me started on Office 2013.

Apple is getting just as guilty about this too.

Still debating if I should go ahead an delete the Windows.old folder...its taking 18gigs of my SSD. Any reason I should keep?

It allows you to go back to a previous install, but if you went bare bones with your "keep nothing" then it won't do much. Going back to a previous image is a far better way to do that anyway. I tried to go back to previous versions on a few of the Previews and it always broke something.
The Disk Cleanup tool can get rid of it. You might also find a misc. user folder (it's a ported "default user" file) that you can delete, too. I don't think it was very big, but every little bit can matter.

Worth mentioning for anyone else who wants to kill that folder off - DO NOT use Disk Cleanup without rebooting after your initial Win 10 install. That causes a ton of known issues per the support forums.

Working okay so far minus a couple small bugs; nothing show-stopping yet. It seems a bit more responsive than 7 was, especially on boot or shutdown.

I don't approve of some of their UI choices and parts are still a mess. Hopefully this gets resolved in short order, but overall better than 8.x as a whole.

As for those having issues with the nVIDIA driver, gladly I am not among them. Perhaps it's all dependent on your configuration? I did have some issues with the prerelease drivers causing issues or failing the install, throwing out a code that the hardware cannot start.

So far I like 7>10>8

Pretty much my thought, but I do like the under the hood improvements that 10 brings. 7 just feels old now.

EDIT 8/6 - With that said, I've rolled back to 7 yesterday and I won't be going back until things are a bit more well done. Right now it's too much on the rare side for me.

Last edited:
Anyone in the Insider Preview Program decided to opt out of Insider Builds? I'm curious if you can go back and/or if it affects anything.

Until 10 gets a bit more optimized with some bug fix patches, right now I'm feeling a solid 8>10>7, 7 is just so dated and 10 just has these little quirks right now. 8 with Start8 was pretty much perfect windows, but I am enjoying Windows 10, especially the little touches, like today I discovered all the cool new things you can do from the command prompt.

Can someone try these for me under W10 64bit and see if they work:

CoreTemp
MSI Afterburner/Kombustor
CPUZ
GPUZ
Logitech SetPoint Drivers

CoreTemp
CPUZ
GPUZ

I can confirm that CoreTemp (be sure to use RC7, not RC6), MSI Afterburner, CPU-Z, and GPU-Z work fine. I don't have Setpoint, but I do have the Logitech Gaming Software for my G700. Those work fine.

Domingo I have moar:
Media Player Classic Home Cinema? MadVR?
ASIO Drivers
FRAPS
NexusModManager for FalloutNewVegas and Skyrim
TeamSpeak

Of those I only use MPC-HC regularly - it works fine. I'm on the x64 version which MadVR doesn't work with anyway. I have it set as my main media player and it still do everything fine - surround sound, bitstreaming, color matching, etc.
FRAPS and Teamspeak supposedly work, but I don't use 'em or have 'em.
There's nothing about Nexus that shouldn't work. Every game setup I've ever heard about works fine either natively or using compatibility mode for Win 7 or Vista.

I wonder if it is just me or windows 10 has messed up my keyboard a bit.

Every time I type in my email address, for example: "[email protected]" it won't type the @ first, but like this "abc2gmail.com." So I have to type the "@" twice to get that character.

Also, sometime it capitalizes all my letters even though caps lock is off.

Same bullshit as the tech preview.

Installed from 8 (retail key) to 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (activated).

Used Magic Jelly Bean to find key, turns out to be a generic key...great.

Refresh the PC to start as a fresh install....completely fucks the system. Can't boot anymore and in fact wipes the entire drive clean.

Start a fresh install. Skip the key request and go on with the install. Now the key is one I haven't seen before and it won't activate. Put the old key in and get
"error 0xc004f069 non-core edition"

so now I'm stuck without being able to activate my computer. Definitely not activating through the MS Store or whatever people said was going to happen.

CoreTemp
CPUZ
GPUZ

until unwinder fixes it.. afterburner works but cause weird issues with other apps like smooth video project and media player classic.....figured i would wait till his next version is out to test again

Did anyone notice it's activated? I downloaded the media tool, made the iso, and installed and it's activated under both control panel system and personalize.

took me a bunch of command line BS but I finally got mine reactivated :|

I had it installed for a few hours yesterday morning. Found it to be too jazzed up with features. It is definitely faster. In the end I "rolled back" to 8.1. IMO the preview was way better.

took me a bunch of command line BS but I finally got mine reactivated :|

Mines activated without previous windows 7 or 8.1..... only had insider 10240 on at one point, but wiped that and installed and it's still activated.

Same bullshit as the tech preview.

Installed from 8 (retail key) to 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (activated).

Used Magic Jelly Bean to find key, turns out to be a generic key...great.

Refresh the PC to start as a fresh install....completely fucks the system. Can't boot anymore and in fact wipes the entire drive clean.

Start a fresh install. Skip the key request and go on with the install. Now the key is one I haven't seen before and it won't activate. Put the old key in and get
"error 0xc004f069 non-core edition"

so now I'm stuck without being able to activate my computer. Definitely not activating through the MS Store or whatever people said was going to happen.

Getting reports from people and I'm going to be trying this on the weekend, if you clean install your version of 8 to 8.1, let it update to 10 via the forced update from site and then use the ISO to create a bootable media you can clean install without a CD key and just activates, it recognizes your hardware.

I'm noticing that the computers I updated from 7 and 8.1 to 10 on release are running a lot better then my Insider Preview machine upgraded through to RTM, which is my main PC. To I'm going to be doing a clean 8 install and going from there to the 10 clean install method. I have no clue why we don't get free copies of 10 on thumb drives if they can't let us do clean installs to 10 full like they did with Vista and 7 (both I got free for testing), I guess with 8 and 10 they figured it was cheap ($30) or free.

Any of you know how the license is being checked? Mine says activated, but I never input a key. I DID create the ISO using MS's tool from a legitimate copy of Windows, so I'm assuming the key is on the USB stick now? Or perhaps a profile of my system was created and sent to MS that is checked against when a new install happens. But I'm kind of worried what will happen if I lose the USB drive or do a significant upgrade, as I don't have a key (other than the old Windows 8 key) to present to the automated MS phone number.

Getting reports from people and I'm going to be trying this on the weekend, if you clean install your version of 8 to 8.1, let it update to 10 via the forced update from site and then use the ISO to create a bootable media you can clean install without a CD key and just activates, it recognizes your hardware.

This is exactly what I did, and it works fine, but the problem is I don't know how/where the key is being stored. And what the hell am I supposed to input into the Microsoft phone number when I do a significant upgrade?

I'm noticing that the computers I updated from 7 and 8.1 to 10 on release are running a lot better then my Insider Preview machine upgraded through to RTM, which is my main PC. To I'm going to be doing a clean 8 install and going from there to the 10 clean install method. I have no clue why we don't get free copies of 10 on thumb drives if they can't let us do clean installs to 10 full like they did with Vista and 7 (both I got free for testing), I guess with 8 and 10 they figured it was cheap ($30) or free.
That's what I did. The problem seemed to be that when I skipped inputting the key it installed Home version and the key I had wouldn't even work on it since it was for Pro.

I had to go through a series of commands through the terminal in order to clear out the old key and then do a version upgrade to Pro and then the key worked.

Any of you know how the license is being checked? Mine says activated, but I never input a key. I DID create the ISO using MS's tool from a legitimate copy of Windows, so I'm assuming the key is on the USB stick now? I'm kind of worried what will happen if I lose the USB drive or do a significant upgrade, as I don't have a key (other than the old Windows 8 key) to present to the automated MS phone number.

This is exactly what I did, and it works fine, but the problem is I don't know how/where the key is being stored. And what the hell am I supposed to input into the Microsoft phone number when I do a significant upgrade?
Your hardware hash is being stored on MS servers.

When you do have a significant upgrade it's going to be a nightmare. This is the same thing I went through when I had the tech preview. The tech support told me there was nothing they could do after my key was blocked.

The best answer I've seen is if you ever do upgrade your hardware you'll have to clean install from 7 or 8.1 and go through the whole thing again to set your hardware hash again. I suppose that won't work after the initial year of free. There definitely isn't a way to do it through the phone like older versions.

mope54,

That's a great point. I've been trying to figure out how they'll handle the upgrades after the first year. You may have hit it. IF you do a substantial hardware change, you may need to go back through installing/upgrading your previous OS again. If you think about it that's elegant and would work. Since you have to enter the license key for the original OS and validate it... that would be adequate proof for the upgrade process to prove you are only using it on one system.

mope54,

That's a great point. I've been trying to figure out how they'll handle the upgrades after the first year. You may have hit it. IF you do a substantial hardware change, you may need to go back through installing/upgrading your previous OS again.

There's a potential problem with this though that many might have overlooked. Check out this link. It seems to me, what this is saying is that our Windows 7/8 licenses permanently transfer over to Windows 10 after 1 month. After that we won't be able to downgrade with our previous license. I really hope this isn't the case, but it might be. If it is the case though, then we're going to be stuck with basically a non-transferrable Windows 10 OEM license based on whatever hardware fingerprint was sent to the servers when doing out first upgrade.

In other words, for our "free" upgrade to Windows 10, we're consuming our older Windows 7/8 licenses and turning them into a non-transferrable OEM license fingerprint that's only relevant for whatever hardware was used for doing the initial upgrade. Just a theory, but I really hope this isn't the case.

Your hardware hash is being stored on MS servers.

When you do have a significant upgrade it's going to be a nightmare. This is the same thing I went through when I had the tech preview. The tech support told me there was nothing they could do after my key was blocked.

The best answer I've seen is if you ever do upgrade your hardware you'll have to clean install from 7 or 8.1 and go through the whole thing again to set your hardware hash again. I suppose that won't work after the initial year of free. There definitely isn't a way to do it through the phone like older versions.

If you change enough hardware to trigger a need to reactivate, you make a phone call to Microsoft and explain the situation - a phone call, that's it. It even says as much in the Windows 10 FAQ.

There's a potential problem with this though that many might have overlooked. Check out this link. It seems to me, what this is saying is that our Windows 7/8 licenses permanently transfer over to Windows 10 after 1 month. After that we won't be able to downgrade with our previous license. I really hope this isn't the case, but it might be. If it is the case though, then we're going to be stuck with basically a non-transferrable Windows 10 OEM license based on whatever hardware fingerprint was sent to the servers when doing out first upgrade.

In other words, for our "free" upgrade to Windows 10, we're consuming our older Windows 7/8 licenses and turning them into a non-transferrable OEM license fingerprint that's only relevant for whatever hardware was used for doing the initial upgrade. Just a theory, but I really hope this isn't the case.

But that's exactly how it's supposed to work: we're licensing the right to use Windows, none of us own it except Microsoft, it's pretty simple to comprehend that aspect of things. Windows 10 comes with 30 days of downgrade rights - the reason is because some folks are obviously going to have issues with it from either a personal perspective (they can't stand it at all) or perhaps a hardware issue (something doesn't support the OS or your hardware is dead/pooched/defective or you try it on your current hardware and decide nope, you need a better machine so you go get one or build one), and so on.

It's practically another 30 day "grace period" to see if Windows 10 fits your needs and requirements and if not, you can get rid of it before being locked into the new upgraded license - I say new upgraded license because Windows 10 is being offered for 1 year as an upgrade only, that's the offer Microsoft is making to people plain and simple: it's free, as an upgrade on top of a legit activated license of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 and after that first year if people want it they're going be paying for it.

Back