Windows 10 will now feature no go auto installs.......

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
Surprised someone has not yet posted this up here in these forums: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-no-longer-force-windows-10-feature-updates-users

Honestly, I personally never had an issue with the twice yearly updates on my own computers. That said, I have seen issues with things like Sage 50 not working because of these twice yearly updates, and this would have helped resolve those issues, without a doubt.

This is a better option anyways, although I surprised it took them so long to implement it. However, after the 1809 fiasco, regardless of whether it was wide spread or not, MS must have realized they need a lot longer than 6 months for something to be developed, especially something that can make major changes, even if they are just under the hood changes. (For instance, there are some kernel changes in the May, 2019 Feature update and it is causing GSOD issues with some anti cheat software.)

Microsoft has announced that starting with the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, users will no longer be forced to install new Windows 10 feature updates as they become available. This comes after feedback from users who have had countless issues with updates breaking programs, losing files, and installing at inconvenient times. Microsoft has been working hard to improve Windows Update, and while the system is better than it was at launch in 2015, it's still not perfect. Now, users will have the option to not have to deal with feature updates when they are released.

Sounds good

SOON: Microsoft to announce new Paid Upgrade Subscription Model, giving users CHOICE over their Windows Experience! Pricing TBA.

LOL! Should have known someone would interject this conspiracy / conspiratorial nonsense. :D

Microsoft has announced that starting with the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, users will no longer be forced to install new Windows 10 feature updates as they become available. This comes after feedback from users who have had countless issues with updates breaking programs, losing files, and installing at inconvenient times. Microsoft has been working hard to improve Windows Update, and while the system is better than it was at launch in 2015, it's still not perfect. Now, users will have the option to not have to deal with feature updates when they are released.

Sounds good
Microsoft has been working hard... Pfft, yeah right, as if they don't know any better.
They been working hard in waiting to see if people just "lived with it" and moved on. I guess not enough did.

Microsoft has been working hard... Pfft, yeah right, as if they don't know any better.
They been working hard in waiting to see if people just "lived with it" and moved on. I guess not enough did.

Cannot say I agree but, better now than never. If you have issues with MS, point the finger at the top, the CEO.

LOL! Should have known someone would interject this conspiracy / conspiratorial nonsense. :D
Today's conspiracy "nonsense" is tomorrow's MS reality.

Lost track of how many times the shills swore something was tinfoil hat with W10, only for it to become true or MS outright admitted it was intentional. Really have to wonder whose side you guys are on sometimes.

Today's conspiracy "nonsense" is tomorrow's MS reality.

Lost track of how many times the shills swore something was tinfoil hat with W10, only for it to become true or MS outright admitted it was intentional. Really have to wonder whose side you guys are on sometimes.

You lost count? Well, let me help you then: Zero! :D

The Danish and Norwegian public sectors have changed to windows, thats why they can afford to sit on their hands and make goofy sounds nowadays.
Coincidentally thats also from whom they learned to do the goofy sounds, which was a trend that spread out of Microsoft support centers after they started to get calls like that.

the article said:
The user will be alerted that a new feature update is available every now and then, but at no point will the user be forced to install that update, as long as the version of Windows 10 they're currently running is still in support.

That last part is key. Users can't remain on an old version of Windows 10 forever. Microsoft says that it will automatically install the latest feature update when the version of Windows 10 the user is currently running reaches end of support. For consumers, a feature update is in support for around 18 months. So, for example, assuming Microsoft releases two feature updates a year, users running Windows 10 version 1809 can opt to not install version 1903, version 1909, and version 2003 before version 1809 runs out of support and Microsoft automatically installs the latest version available, which would likely be version 2009 at the time.
I like the intent of the change, but it does make me leery that jumping so many revisions to the latest won't invite a whole new set of botched upgrades and problems. I wonder if dragging users along at the back end of support would be a better way to go. In that way, ideally, you'd have the major bugs worked out and a heavily field tested upgrade process for those releases.

edit: I thought there was also the plan to make the fall releases have a longer support cycle and an implication of offering more stability. If that's still right, target the fall release and drag your resistant users along those releases.

Really having a release schedule that includes allowing users to stay behind one or two public releases would help. Keep the security updates though.

I think this change might already be in effect. I keep my pc on 24/7, and it used to reboot itself for updates in the middle of the night, and upon login all the apps that were open when it rebooted would reopen. It worked pretty well for me, but I can see the potential for some apps to not save their data, etc. and then they wouldn't likely resume correctly.

But the last time around I got a notification "we were unable to restart your computer to automatically apply updates.." and it wanted to know when to reboot. I went ahead and did it right then. That was probably 2 to 4 weeks ago.

SOON: Microsoft to announce new Paid Upgrade Subscription Model, giving users CHOICE over their Windows Experience! Pricing TBA.

If you want to roll back to older version because the new update broke something, you get partial refund.

Back