Windows 10 Will Be An Automatic Recommended Update

I got some nice Pentium 4 machines cruising on VISTA so I don't have to worry about this. LONG LIVE VISTA the NAGFREE OS!

It clearly says you have to make a choice once you reserve it. If you do not reserve it, you do not have to make a choice. I am saying this for those who are not capable of reading what it says. Windows 10 is not being forced onto you nor is it automatically being installed. Reading comprehension 101 and all that jaz. :p

I didn't reserve a copy and it was automatically downloaded on my machine and checked. If you think that they aren't going to "accidentally" download and install it even though it isn't checked you're a fool.

And yet, some of us on Win10 can't go to Threshold2 because they still can't get the updates to work reliably. I've tried everything in their tech bulletins to fix it - no luck.

I can imagine it's only going to get worse.

Yeah, Vista is great if you don't mind the OS being shitty. :p

Vista is and was fine.

Windows 7 is essentially Vista 1.1

The launch was awful.due to 3rd party hardware vendors dragging their feet and not having drivers ready, as they were a complete rewrite from XP.

Vista got such a bad reputation due to this, that they had to give it a facelift and call it Windows 7.

Under the hood Vista SP1 and Windows 7 are pretty much the same, except for DX11.

/beginning of rant

I feel like MS has really started ramming Windows 10 down peoples throat in a desperate attempt to remain relevant

You guys are full of so much crap it is sickening. Microsoft wants people to stop using their older operating systems for many reasons... being "relevant" is not one of them. Your simple Friday rant is garbage. Windows 10 > Windows 7.

Don't let life - or a new Spyware OS for that matter - just wash over you like a wave.
Laugh. :rolleyes: x eleventy billion

I have successfully *not* upgraded to Win 10. And now, I will successfully give MS the middle finger while successfully staying with Win 7 Pro.
Cool. I think a lot of us care less about you giving Microsoft the finger then you do about Windows 10. I think hating on Microsoft is the cool thing to do nowadays. Skinny jeans, hating microsoft, and glasses without lenses.

Basically, they're going to stop patching Windows 7 and 8 and leave you high and dry
I hope so. Ide like to see the numbers on how much money Microsoft spends to patch three separate products. People cry about fragmentation on Android but 3-4 Windows versions from now all of the same people will be crying about how they wish they could just stick with Windows 10.

Thank god they don't make cars.
This analogy makes no sense. Something a little more accurate:
Hey guys. We see you just bought a Ford F150 in 2013. We are going to upgrade you to the cloud connected 2016 Ford F150 that is also equipped with a better engine and transmission. Its literally better in every way; why don't you want it?

theoretically be much more developed than the half baked mess it is now
Half baked? It is better in every way compared to 7. The only reason that people dislike it is the "omg-I-think-it-might-be-spying-on-me" bandwagon. I know a handful of people that dislike 10, yet, they use an Android phone and take full advantage of Googles services.

Come on Vulkan(not Linux OS but a version for use on good old Win7)
Wow. I. do. not. understand. the. desperation.

Loved 8.1 but 10 has been a nightmare on some of my machines.
Every single person I know that has problems with 10 simply upgraded their extremely old and loaded 7 installations. Of course, 90% of them had spyware and other garbage infesting their system beforehand. A fresh install was met with, "Wow, my computer is better then new. 10 is 2 legit."

I like Win10, but my upgrade experience wasn't so great at all.
Neither was mine. I spent 2 days trying to install 10. What finally fixed it was the removal of half of my system ram. I dont know why that fixed it... but it did. Worth it.

Also, 'telemetry data' sent home to MS that they can sell.
Says everyone that uses Google services, Facebook, Twitter, Tinder, Scout, etc. This is nothing new.

Windows 10 uploads every single key press on your keyboard and stores it permanently on Microsoft's cloud, freely shared with their "trusted partners", which includes (but may not be limited to) the NSA. There's still a big difference between passive monitoring of data, and using Windows 10, which actively collects EVERYTHING about you and sends it directly to the authorities!
Eh... a buddy of mine does network security for a fortune 500 company. He uses quite a bit of advanced equipment and software to analyze network data. They are extremely strict and say you cannot use an Android phone for a company phone... but you can use Window 10.

Source for this please. If someone has confirmed there's a full keylogger they had to open up the encrypted telemetry packets.
x2. I dont just want a source. I want factual data and not a bunch of FUD click bait from an article by some guy.

/end of rant

Vista is and was fine.

The launch was awful.due to 3rd party hardware vendors dragging their feet and not having drivers ready, as they were a complete rewrite from XP.

Vista got such a bad reputation due to this, that they had to give it a facelift and call it Windows 7.

Under the hood Vista SP1 and Windows 7 are pretty much the same, except for DX11.

I have been saying this... for years. Everyone I know that thinks they are computer savvy will always bring up how bad Vista was... except it wasnt.

Why European community still does not commit another mega fine for disrespecting user privacy? there were lot less reasons when they committed a very big one for the default internet explorer browser... in my opinion is just matter of time but they will

Hi All

I'd like to ask a few questions. Why do some folk feel the need to defend Microsoft? Do you work there? Have family that work there? Own stock ? What? Some folk here have a rebuttal for every negative remark or criticism of Microsoft. What gives? Do you feel threatened by the criticism to the point that you have to defend them? Or that you have to validate your choice of operating system? Last question, are you this loyal to family & friends?

I'd like to ask a few questions. Why do some folk feel the need to defend Microsoft? Do you work there? Have family that work there? Own stock ? What? Some folk here have a rebuttal for every negative remark or criticism of Microsoft. What gives? Do you feel threatened by the criticism to the point that you have to defend them? Or that you have to validate your choice of operating system? Last question, are you this loyal to family & friends?

Ide like to ask a few questions. Why do some folk feel the need to attack Microsoft? Do you work at a competing company? Have family that does? Own stock in Apple? What? Some folk here have an attack for every single thing Microsoft does. What gives? Do you feel threatened that your choice of a lesser operating system needs to be validated? Last question, do you make equally stupid life decisions?

Ide like to ask a few questions. Why do some folk feel the need to attack Microsoft? Do you work at a competing company? Have family that does? Own stock in Apple? What? Some folk here have an attack for every single thing Microsoft does. What gives? Do you feel threatened that your choice of a lesser operating system needs to be validated? Last question, do you make equally stupid life decisions?

Hi All

I have no vested intrest in any of the aforementioned companies. Curiosity was what drove me to ask those questions. I see by your response that you are not able to answer those questions in a reasonable manner & have to resort to insults. Why am I not surprised

I have no vested interest in any of the aforementioned companies. Listening to the same stories year after year when something new comes out gets extremely old. People just want something to complain about.

The worst nagware I've ever dealt with in my life came from not wanting to update my phone from Android 4.4.4 to the buggy 5.0. Multiple alerts every single day that I had to root the phone to prevent. What Microsoft is doing here isn't any more invasive than what their competitors are doing.

It doesn't make it any better, though. ;)
But yes, Google/Android isn't any better with Droid/Linux, sadly.

I have no vested interest in any of the aforementioned companies. Listening to the same stories year after year when something new comes out gets extremely old. People just want something to complain about.

At this point it's way more noise than anything else. Depending on where one stands with Windows 10 you'll here a number of different things from "It screwed everything up." to "I love it". The truth is always in the middle and with Windows 10 I think it's more towards the positive end of spectrum.

If Windows 10 is the "last version" of Windows which I doubt but I do think it'll be the last version of Windows that sees dramatic change for a while, 5 years at least. The changes will be much more incremental, cumulative and forced. That all but guarantees that it's going pass 7 assuming that enterprises get on board and from what I've heard in my enterprise, the powers that be are pretty pleased with it and are waiting for the enterprise features to come out which should be around the release of Windows Server 2016.

In any case I'm having a blast with it overall. My new favorite feature, Windows Hello. I know there's all kinds of discussion about just how secure it is but I've tried it out at work with a few people and it just seems to work and is super fast. I can't imagine its any worse than a weak password if not significantly better. I'm sure someone will come up with a hack which I'd love to see how it would be done just out of sheer curiosity.

Hi All

It's a religion.

You've heard of Apple fanboys and Android fanboys and all that... the truth is there are far more MS fanboys than both of the former combined.

Haven't heard anything about MS selling the data. Do you have a source for that one? They're certainly using it for something but I don't think it's being sold off.

nearly EVERY service they use can be used to "sell" data no matter if its foe example walmart to sell or try to sell you things you routinely look at, maybe you look for car parts online, if you go online or use your OS with an online connection, guess what they CAN and WILL make money on it, because guess what, THEY CAN, its in their TOS, you use their product THEY decide the info they collect etc.

Sure as hell they WILL NOT tell us who or for what reason they sell this data, why would they, they are there as a business to make themselves and their shareholders money, all it takes is for business X to say give us data Y even if they will not say whos info it is, MSFT can be the middleman to pass this data directly as an encrypted source so the "sale" can still be made and of course they get paid.

It does not matter what or how they collect, in my opinion, they are just way to greedy like most big companies, and if they can find a way to make money, they will..Dont get me wrong I do not know nor does anyone but them what they collect and who they sell it to, but WE should get a CHOICE on what is collected because while data collection makes our lives easier it also makes more complicated in many ways, it ends up maybe being unsafe and certainly ends up inundating us with crap we DONT want, such as phone calls out of the blue because XYZ heard you looked at ABC.

Be nice if we had some basic choices on what is collected, an easy way to turn on or off certain types of updates etc, but why would they, they are NOT there to make US happy, they are there to make SHAREHOLDERS and THEMSELVES happy as just like anything else, make enough $$$$ you can pay off any lawsuit you want right.

Long post as usual sorry, but folks generally do not dig deep enough to know what truths they can have be it the product or service they buy (MSFT, Nvidia, Intel, Walmart, Tim Hortons so on and so forth) they just blindly go along and not raise a fuss when they should, this is why things are done the way they are and seemingly and constantly getting even more insane :(

Happy Halloween BTW :)

that sucks. the nag and the bloat and I have one machine that tries to only show Windows 10 as available patches in windows update and now this. gotta change all my machines to not dl anything. Any good solutions for wmc users yet (specifically for watching recorded content without re-encoding)? that is my only real holdup on one or two machines.

I have always left updates turned off on my HTPC, and would manually run updates every couple months. Ever since Windows 10 was released, I haven't bothered updating. I don't want to take a chance on Windows 10 messing it up, since the media center is no longer supported.

Real shame since WMC was one of the only PC products that supported a cable card. Looks like I'll have at least one system on Windows 7 for a long-long time. (or at least until they stop providing the channel listings)

You guys are funny. Windows 10 works fine and has some snapping improvements for multi-monitor, which I assume most of you have. Those of you who complain about "spying" probably use google services and have a mobile device. Heck, if you're "on the grid" you're watchable.

Just because most people are doing something does not make it right so what is your point?

There is nothing to read, MS succeed in disguising the GWX virus and related things within the normal updates, not informing the user of what it really does. The fact that users normally used to trust Windows Update catched many people by surprise, after realizing that MS exploited that to distribute malware when it must only ship OS patches.

You guys are full of so much crap it is sickening. Microsoft wants people to stop using their older operating systems for many reasons... being "relevant" is not one of them. Your simple Friday rant is garbage.
Windows 10 > Windows 7.

Not if you are using Windows Media Center, as the product was killed in starting with 8.1.

Not if you are still using some older applications.
I have a critical app at the office that I managed to get working with 7, but doesn't work with 8.0 or later.
Until that application is replaced, half the office will have to stay on Windows 7.

Half baked? It is better in every way compared to 7. The only reason that people dislike it is the "omg-I-think-it-might-be-spying-on-me" bandwagon. I know a handful of people that dislike 10, yet, they use an Android phone and take full advantage of Googles services.

I prefer the better looking Gui in Windows 7.
I also prefer the cleaner start menu in Windows 7.

Windows 10 is a step back on both.

Every single person I know that has problems with 10 simply upgraded their extremely old and loaded 7 installations. Of course, 90% of them had spyware and other garbage infesting their system beforehand. A fresh install was met with, "Wow, my computer is better then new. 10 is 2 legit."

I've upgraded a few older system to Windows 10, and then did a fresh install.
Windows 10 does boot faster, and feels faster than Windows 7 on these older systems, so I have to give this point to Windows 10.

Zarathustra[H];1041941481 said:
Vista is and was fine.

I have been saying this... for years. Everyone I know that thinks they are computer savvy will always bring up how bad Vista was... except it wasnt.

Vista is "fine". It's not great. Windows 7 is great.

I agree that it's better than it was at launch by far...but it's still not on par with 7 IMO.

You guys are full of so much crap it is sickening. Microsoft wants people to stop using their older operating systems for many reasons... being "relevant" is not one of them. Your simple Friday rant is garbage. Windows 10 > Windows 7.
Starting out with a blanket statement like this almost never amounts to anything worthwhile.
Laugh. :rolleyes: x eleventy billion
That's your argument?
Cool. I think a lot of us care less about you giving Microsoft the finger then you do about Windows 10. I think hating on Microsoft is the cool thing to do nowadays. Skinny jeans, hating microsoft, and glasses without lenses.
Oh the typical hating sg is trendy cliché, as long as you don't strain yourself to death thinking up arguments.
I hope so. Ide like to see the numbers on how much money Microsoft spends to patch three separate products. People cry about fragmentation on Android but 3-4 Windows versions from now all of the same people will be crying about how they wish they could just stick with Windows 10.
Even if every consumer would move to W10, Microsoft would still have an obligation to update and patch W7, because of corporate users. So all your hate is misguided it's not us sticking to W7, who are the cause of your imaginary handicap.

This analogy makes no sense. Something a little more accurate:
Hey guys. We see you just bought a Ford F150 in 2013. We are going to upgrade you to the cloud connected 2016 Ford F150 that is also equipped with a better engine and transmission. Its literally better in every way; why don't you want it?
Except they're trying to carjack me at every corner and stick me into an ugly ass prius.

Half baked? It is better in every way compared to 7. The only reason that people dislike it is the "omg-I-think-it-might-be-spying-on-me" bandwagon. I know a handful of people that dislike 10, yet, they use an Android phone and take full advantage of Googles services
I don't care about their spyware I have a firewall that I can configure to only let out what I specifically allow. My reason for not upgrading to W10 is the ugly interface, that's harder and absolutely counter intuitive. Yes it's an improvement over W8, but still miles off from W7's usability. So in the end they might not be trying to stick me into a prius, but a honda insight, that's slighly less ugly than a prius, but still offers absolutely nothing in driving enjoyment.

A freshly installed OS over one bloated with crap and adware is always met with "Wow, my computer is better then new" Regardless of the version. Anyone who ever did a fresh install even once knows this.

x2. I dont just want a source. I want factual data and not a bunch of FUD click bait from an article by some guy.

A buddy of mine, who works at a fortune 500 company...

Says everyone that uses Google services, Facebook, Twitter, Tinder, Scout, etc. This is nothing new.

The notion that "your phone & Facebook probably already spy on you so just shut up and let it happen on your PC too" is maybe the dumbest and most short-sighted argument I continue to hear by apologists defending this bullshit.

There is no excuse for not letting customers opt-out of data collection 100% in a paid OS. No excuse.

Win 10 is spyware, it fulfills Microsoft's own definition of spyware as it appears on their website. To me, it's not complicated at all : my computer should never do anything without my full knowledge and consent. Anything else and it's not my computer anymore; that broad definition includes everything from zombie botnets to windows 10. My hardware, my control.

When Windows 10 is collecting data, there's nowhere to run to for general purpose computing. It sucks, no matter if it's google, apple, ms or facebook (worst of them all) doing the tracking. Thing is, when we're talking about people's computing OS, that's crossing a far bigger boundary than a phone OS or website.

I can close Chrome, I can decide not to send certain data through Gmail. I can still use my desktop without those, and Google will not know what I am doing on that desktop. How am I supposed to use a Win10 desktop without my data being collected/harvested/possibly transferred to another party? I can close an app and still work/play. I cannot close my desktop and still work/play.

so far the biggest issues with win 10 I have run into are the usb drivers are buggy but they were buggy on 2000 and 7 so that is not a surprise the speed of the drivers is why they are used. Oh and windows defender is usless but that is not a surprise either defender is part of the os so if the os gets comprimised it can not check a third party to be sure that it is clean where as something like safernetworking ties in and checks their sites to see what matches the hashes. my guess defender is for people who want go enough and the ones microsoft allows to tie in are for people who want to prevent pity party script kiddies from peaking in their systems.

I use Linux at work (so I would also feel comfortable using it at home), I bought a PS4 for gaming, my GF has a Mac for Turbotax. Yup, Windows/Microsoft you can go fuck yourself at this point.

Win 10 is spyware, it fulfills Microsoft's own definition of spyware as it appears on their website. To me, it's not complicated at all : my computer should never do anything without my full knowledge and consent. Anything else and it's not my computer anymore; that broad definition includes everything from zombie botnets to windows 10. My hardware, my control.

Well, your computer, itself, won't do anything on its own. The OS however, well.....

I've got 10 in on 2 drives. So far, it's been fine. Only one time did one of the drives not shut down when I told it to shut down. It got stuck on installing windows updates. Much like DPI, I took control of my own hardware and forced 10 off. :) The other drive is an SSD and it hasn't had any issues so far. My game drive consists of 3 SSD's in R0 on Win 7 and it's staying that way. I'll probably build a new rig before I try to move that direction. I also disabled most of the data collection, as much as I could on the 10 drives. It does actually run pretty fast though. But I do not like all the platter chatter on the hard disk in the background while 10 installs updates, and I'm trying to watch Neebs.

I do not think MS should be nagging and attempting to force 7 users to 10. I think that's not cool. But it also proves that 7 is well under the control of MS, and they could force push 10 down if they wanted to.

I am going to upgrade to 10 but, I'm going to buy the disk and I'm waiting for SP1 or it's equivalent. That way I don't have to wait for a million downloads every time I reformat.

I just wish they would quit bugging me about it lol.

I am going to upgrade to 10 but, I'm going to buy the disk and I'm waiting for SP1 or it's equivalent. That way I don't have to wait for a million downloads every time I reformat.

That should be soon as the rumors are pegging Threshold 2 next week. If not before mid-November. You may not have to buy anything. I'm guessing that there will be free images to download and they should activate with 7/8.x keys as that's one of the changes in this update.

Windows 10 is working just fine for me. It has support for newer technologies such as NVMe. There has not been any major issues since its' launch that might warrant waiting for "SP1".

However, there won't really be an SP1, it will simply be a cumulative patch. 10.1 if they even choose to acknowledge it in that way.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...indows-10-patch-kb-3081444-service-packs.html "Threshold 2" will essentially be SP1. It's coming in November.

And some people here still think that Win10 optional update being pre-checked was an "accident". Gullible. :rolleyes:

And some people here still think that Win10 optional update being pre-checked was an "accident". Gullible. :rolleyes:

Perhaps not. But it can be rolled back pretty easily. That's one thing that all of the conspiracy folks never point out.

When Windows 10 is collecting data, there's nowhere to run to for general purpose computing. It sucks, no matter if it's google, apple, ms or facebook (worst of them all) doing the tracking. Thing is, when we're talking about people's computing OS, that's crossing a far bigger boundary than a phone OS or website.

I can close Chrome, I can decide not to send certain data through Gmail. I can still use my desktop without those, and Google will not know what I am doing on that desktop. How am I supposed to use a Win10 desktop without my data being collected/harvested/possibly transferred to another party? I can close an app and still work/play. I cannot close my desktop and still work/play.

This is pretty much my take of it. I always kinda suspected that windows may had spy stuff in it (like even in XP days) but it was just a suspicion, but now that it actually DOES that completely changes everything. I absolutely no longer trust Microsoft at all now. I'm just glad that after seeing the disaster that is windows 8 I choose to go the Linux route. I run Linux for my day to day activities now, and only use Windows 7 for gaming. I blocked all updates for 7 now, but I may even take it a step further and block all outgoing traffic from that machine except for specific ports that I may need for games.

I'm really sick and tired of everything trying to spy on us these days, it's ridiculous. To make matters worse, the general public does not even care. Talk to your family about the NSA stuff or the fact that windows 10 or Samsung TVs (etc) spy on you, and they just say "I have nothing to hide". The general public is retardedly oblivious to just how bad this trend is, and it's only going to get worse as they willingly give up their privacy.

Perhaps not. But it can be rolled back pretty easily. That's one thing that all of the conspiracy folks never point out.

Wasting hours of people's time and bandwidth is not excusable by "it can be rolled back easily". Microsoft are now officially just another douchebag American corporation and that is no "conspiracy", it is fact.

This is pretty much my take of it. I always kinda suspected that windows may had spy stuff in it (like even in XP days) but it was just a suspicion, but now that it actually DOES that completely changes everything.

Just pointing out that this means you never trusted them. This "Microsoft is stealing data." is a pretty old subject. There was even a movie made about it called "Antitrust". At any rate if they are it should be pretty easy for someone to prove. Because it's hard to believe that a billion plus Windows devices giving up all that data could be kept a secret forever.

Hi All

I think it's difficult for society today to respectfully disagree and remain cordial about it. I know I struggle with separating differences of opinions, disagreements, or arguments from my feelings (maybe insecurities). There is a desire to be right, be recognized as being right, and have the people around you agree with you. It's an advanced social skill and requires that you feel secure in yourself.

First, we're on the internet behind glowing screens and a keyboard and mouse (or touch, ink, and Cortana, apparently). Second, we're technology enthusiasts. Those are two big strikes against us to begin with. Then look at the sort of vitriol and polarization in America today. In that light, we're not doing so bad.

Back