Windows 10: Why can't I disable Windows Defender?

Astralogic

Gawd
Hi, I've been trying to follow guides on disabling windows defender but things look different for me. First I tried this guide, I can find the "virus & threat protection" thing to click but can't continue to follow the instructions from that point. Here is what I see on my PC:

Annotation 2020-02-07 103432.jpg

I also tried to follow the regedit alternative but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. Can someone please help me disable this thing?

Thank You

Edit: I've been told that since I have Avast installed Defender is automatically disabled, that's a real problem, because Windows is deleting files in the same manner that Defender does, in the past I've always solved that problem by disabling Defender. Is there a way to really check to see if it has actually been disabled? Maybe it's bugged.

The error code given is this: 0x80004005

Last edited:
If it is deleting files that look suspicious you can add exclusions.

Why are you running Avast over Defender? Defender is quite effective these days. I'd suggest sticking with Defender and adding whatever exclusions you need

If it is deleting files that look suspicious you can add exclusions.

Why are you running Avast over Defender? Defender is quite effective these days. I'd suggest sticking with Defender and adding whatever exclusions you need
No it's not. It detected only about 80% of known viruses in latest tests.

I just use Defender these days, most third party AV vendors are actually worse that the malware they're supposed to prevent both in relation to privacy and the sucking of precious system resources.

It's what we use at my company now and it's what was used at my previous employer (Global Fortune 500 company) for 3-4 years before I left last July. There's just no reason to use anything else. We're see what happened with 3rd party software firewalls all over again. It's funny actually.

It's what we use at my company now and it's what was used at my previous employer (Global Fortune 500 company) for 3-4 years before I left last July. There's just no reason to use anything else. We're see what happened with 3rd party software firewalls all over again. It's funny actually.

Those third party firewalls are such a PITA.

Where did you get that 80% #?
PC security channel ran a test against known malware/ransomware/viruses and Defender failed spectacularly, especially when the cloud function was disabled (which would happen if people block Windows updates)

I just use Defender these days, most third party AV vendors are actually worse that the malware they're supposed to prevent both in relation to privacy and the sucking of precious system resources.
The free Avast catches way more viruses and malware than Defender. Check PC security channel tests on YT.

PC security channel ran a test against known malware/ransomware/viruses and Defender failed spectacularly, especially when the cloud function was disabled (which would happen if people block Windows updates)

Honestly, Malwarebytes (paid) along with Defender is probably better than most third party solutions out there with none of the bloatware/firewall issues. Personally I think the best form of antivirus is to not run Windows at all, but that's off topic so we won't go there, just my worthless opinion.

Windows Defender included in 10 is designed to be ran alongside antivirus. It's not like previous versions where it was one or the other. There's no way to turn it off because there's no reason to.

AV capabilities vary quite a bit over time. What's great right now, may suck balls next quarter. Defender combined with a proper browser setup and habits, is just fine for most people. If you are into shady websites and downloads, learn to use a VM or Linux live boot, or better yet, a dedicated trash machine.

I have been using Sophos the last few years. Picks up stuff on teacher machines and isolates them from the rest of the network through the Sophos FW and Sophos Central.

I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware for malware scanner not sure if it is a virus scanner doubt it. I could be wrong though.

Honestly, Malwarebytes (paid) along with Defender is probably better than most third party solutions out there with none of the bloatware/firewall issues. Personally I think the best form of antivirus is to not run Windows at all, but that's off topic so we won't go there, just my worthless opinion.

Nope wrong

Defender and MRT have been fine for me, but then I don't do much browsing or downloading from sites. I'd think most PC infections are due more to user carelessness than the brand name of their antivirus software.

To the OP's question, WIN+R, type gpedit.msc and enter. You can easily disable Defender and anything else through group policy.

Malwarebytes detection sucks now.

Malware under Windows sucks now. It's getting worse and anti malware vendors are struggling to hold back the ocean.

If Malwarebytes and Defender can't stop the infection before it hits the underlying OS, Hitman Pro usually removes it no problem.

I deal with this shit daily.

Malware under Windows sucks now. It's getting worse and anti malware vendors are struggling to hold back the ocean.

If Malwarebytes and Defender can't stop the infection before it hits the underlying OS, Hitman Pro usually removes it no problem.

I deal with this shit daily.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is the best.

Or you could run some third party resource hogging solution that makes the computer so sluggish that you never use it. Problem solved, I suppose.

Don't know why someone wouldn't use Defender over everything else, especially Avast.
There are some valid reasons but they don't typically apply to consumers. My work for example, our IT Security wanted reporting and more enterprise-level information that of course Defender doesn't have. Totally valid reason to use something else, and MS even has an enterprise version of Defender (we ended up using something else). These days tho at the consumer level it's more brand loyalty or perceptions about Defender that put people on other products.

A lot of poeple disable the updates because they don't want Microsoft breaking their system.

... Lol. Oh boy.

80% of them?

So how do you mitigate security flaws?

Last edited:
Hi, I've been trying to follow guides on disabling windows defender but things look different for me. First I tried this guide, I can find the "virus & threat protection" thing to click but can't continue to follow the instructions from that point. Here is what I see on my PC:

View attachment 221605

I also tried to follow the regedit alternative but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. Can someone please help me disable this thing?

Thank You

Edit: I've been told that since I have Avast installed Defender is automatically disabled, that's a real problem, because Windows is deleting files in the same manner that Defender does, in the past I've always solved that problem by disabling Defender. Is there a way to really check to see if it has actually been disabled? Maybe it's bugged.

The error code given is this: 0x80004005

Are you running a standard user account and not a administrator one?

I disable Defender when I am copying multi gigabytes from one drive to another, if there are a lot of small files. (Copying takes a little longer if I do not disable it but, that makes sense since it is scanning the files during copying.)

... Lol. Oh boy.

80% of them?

So how do you mitigate security flaws?
Where did you pull the 80%? And it's their problem, not mine. I don't even daily use Windows naturally, I'm not crazy.

Where did you pull the 80%? And it's their problem, not mine. I don't even daily use Windows naturally, I'm not crazy.

lol, that's a jab for the 80%# you posted earlier with no reference. I asked where you got that # but you never provided any reference.

You seem to have very strong opinions about windows considering you don't use it.

lol, that's a jab for the 80%# you posted earlier with no reference. I asked where you got that # but you never provided any reference.

You seem to have very strong opinions about windows considering you don't use it.
if you're uncapable of running Youtube yourself.
Those who don't use Windows are most likely the ones who understand the reasons why to avoid using it.

Curious if the windows haters are familiar with triaging modern Linux malware, or just think Linux has none.

Well, when you consider that Android is globally the most popular OS, and the number of Malware infections under Android are comparatively speaking beyond miniscule compared to Windows which was suffering 16 million new strains a week back in 2016...

...comparitively speaking, you could claim desktop Linux doesn't suffer from Malware infections.

People don't like it when it's claimed, but Linux is more secure than Windows, just by considering the method of software installation alone.

But, this isn't a thread about Linux. Just answering your question.

People don't like it when it's claimed, but Linux is more secure than Windows

Linux is equal if not more insecure. It cannot be claimed, and no single company, or OS can claim "more" secure. You can claim different point of infections, but all the security issues happen to Linux too, and the hack into corps, and routers, and IoT, and NoT, etc. You didn't read about sudo recently? What about all the Cisco routers, nor Tomato? These are just recent events. Linux has malware and many security issues that are constantly being patched (https://access.redhat.com/security/security-updates/#/) just as much as Windows.

And Android malware is actually rampant......Google and Apple struggle to remove the malware as it is constantly created and allowed to infect by end user installs. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...loading-malware-onto-your-phone/#29c2338c75af ), (https://thenextweb.com/security/201...emove-50-malicious-apps-that-stole-your-data/), (https://www.komando.com/security-privacy/17-android-apps-to-delete/701793/)

EVEN if *nix was absolutely secure you would have to understand that you would need to treat it as it is not, correct? That is always what causes the fall.

Security is a false belief that man created....

As for Defender it sucks, and was proven with independent journalism many times. Kaspersky sued Microsoft becasue they were locking out anti-virus software, but won in the end. However, Defender intergrates the anti-virus into it. I still do not like that I as the end user I cannot have absolute control the way I want to. I am told what to do and it "warns" me. If you disable the firewall you can have issues with Live games, and the Xbox integration due to Toredo tunnel not able to enumerate. It sucks that I cannot use the PC as I want to, and they say it is more secure that way-whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linux is equal if not more insecure. It cannot be claimed, and no single company, or OS can claim "more" secure. You can claim different point of infections, but all the security issues happen to Linux too, and the hack into corps, and routers, and IoT, and NoT, etc. You didn't read about sudo recently? What about all the Cisco routers, nor Tomato? These are just recent events. Linux has malware and many security issues that are constantly being patched (https://access.redhat.com/security/security-updates/#/) just as much as Windows.

And Android malware is actually rampant......Google and Apple struggle to remove the malware as it is constantly created and allowed to infect by end user installs. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...loading-malware-onto-your-phone/#29c2338c75af ), (https://thenextweb.com/security/201...emove-50-malicious-apps-that-stole-your-data/), (https://www.komando.com/security-privacy/17-android-apps-to-delete/701793/)

EVEN if *nix was absolutely secure you would have to understand that you would need to treat it as it is not, correct? That is always what causes the fall.

Security is a false belief that man created....

As for Defender it sucks, and was proven with independent journalism many times. Kaspersky sued Microsoft becasue they were locking out anti-virus software, but won in the end. However, Defender intergrates the anti-virus into it. I still do not like that I as the end user I cannot have absolute control the way I want to. I am told what to do and it "warns" me. If you disable the firewall you can have issues with Live games, and the Xbox integration due to Toredo tunnel not able to enumerate. It sucks that I cannot use the PC as I want to, and they say it is more secure that way-whatever.
You're exaggerating wildly. Windows has millions of attacks vs few hundreds to a couple thousand against linux - and those are being actively patched and updated since users get _working_ free updates. Even the sudo flaw was not remotely executable and effected only a select group of distros.

You're exaggerating wildly. Windows has millions of attacks vs few hundreds to a couple thousand against linux - and those are being actively patched and updated since users get _working_ free updates. Even the sudo flaw was not remotely executable and effected only a select group of distros.

Claims user is exaggerating wildly, proceeds to exaggerate wildly himself. :confused::eek::rolleyes:

if you're uncapable of running Youtube yourself.
Those who don't use Windows are most likely the ones who understand the reasons why to avoid using it.

Lol, wow. Just asked for your source. Maybe some of you should go work in an Enterprise IT environment.

Back