Windows 10 Warning: Anger At Microsoft Rises With Serious New Failure

Assuming you avoid Facebook and Google, use a VPN and Firefox with Cookies, Tracking Miners and Finger printers blocked, as well as avoid placing personal information on the internet and use secure email solutions - Considering the fact that Linux isn't sharing personal information with the mothership, there's no reason why you couldn't remain under the radar as far as privacy and security is concerned.

The problem is, that is a pretty strong assumption. For those who are truly in the know, that really does not make it difficult at all, just more time consuming to get the information they want. Wish I was joking or that it was only a conspiracy theory but......

I am not doubting you had a bad experience, but I don't think its right to claim that Linux troubleshooting generally happens as you describe. I've had the opposite experience where there have been lots of forums, chats, wikis (not to mention purchased one on one support available in some cases, if desired) where I found help with Linux, but had some dreadful Mac OSX / iOS related experiences being told that wanting to do something besides The One Right And True Apple Way as Handed Down By Lord Jobs Himself was unacceptable.

For both OSes (just like Windows for that matter) there are better and worse sources of information, helpful people and those who are judgmental/combative, and (usually if you want to pay for it) high quality paid support available for those who desire it.
I disagree, Linux T/S is annoying at best. I have many times run into issues and tried many "fixes" to find out the way it works changed and the fix doesn't work and no new solutions are found. Or, my favorite response is to visit the man pages... Yup, so helpful. Let me try another piece of software that does the same thing but different. Oh that works now, but the part that was working doesn't. It's a constant battle and hard to find actual help.
I have been running Linux on and off for 20+ years and I have zero plans to abandon Linux on my home server, but I run windows on the desktop. I'm perfectly comfortable in the command line (my server doesn't have a UI installed, neither do the ones I use at work), by it I still find the solution of editing config files by hand annoying. Not everyone is comfortable sudoing in, and using vi/vim/nano to edit random config files that they aren't even sure what they do.

Last edited:
There's actually an easy fix for this. Some PowerShell command that reinstalls cortana and all windows store apps. Then killing cortana in task manager and you can search again.
Problem is, killing cortana in task manager doesn't kill cortana. It respawns instantly.

You have to kill that shit with fire and rename the executable, or better yet never let it take root to begin with by nuking it from the install ISO with MSMG Toolkit.

Last edited:
The problem is, that is a pretty strong assumption. For those who are truly in the know, that really does not make it difficult at all, just more time consuming to get the information they want. Wish I was joking or that it was only a conspiracy theory but......

Well, it's a far more secure and private means of connecting to the internet than by using an OS that's actively spying at OS level, that's for sure. The extra paranoid can make use of the TOR project, not many people are going to be interested in controlling the entrance and exit nodes on your behalf.

A fairly strong assumption is believing "I'm not in the know".

I disagree, Linux T/S is annoying at best. I have many times run into issues and tried many "fixes" to find out the way it works changed and the fix doesn't work and no new solutions are found. Or, my favorite response is to visit the man pages... Yup, so helpful. Let me try another piece of software that does the same thing but different. Oh that works now, but the part that was working doesn't. It's a constant battle and hard to find actual help.
I have been running Linux on and off for 20+ years and I have zero plans to abandon Linux on my home server, but I run windows on the desktop. I'm perfectly comfortable in the command line (my server doesn't have a UI installed, neither do the ones I use at work), by it I still find the solution of editing config files by hand annoying. Not everyone is comfortable sudoing in, and using vi/vim/nano to edit random config files that they aren't even sure what they do.

In my experience the Linux forums are a metric tonne more beneficial than the official Windows support forums run by volunteers. Those forums are hopeless.

I'll manage a server editing plain text files using terminal and SSH over RDP and some messy GUI any day. If this is beyond your skill set you probably shouldn't be in tech.

In my experience the Linux forums are a metric tonne more beneficial than the official Windows support forums run by volunteers. Those forums are hopeless.

I'll manage a server editing plain text files using terminal and SSH over RDP and some messy GUI any day. If this is beyond your skill set you probably shouldn't be in tech.
And thanks for proving my point, lol. I even said that I am comformtable in Linux, but understand the frustrations and have run into them myself. I am quite competent with computers. I have written my own operating system (x86 32-bit, multi tasking, with drivers, VFS and a UI which was in C) in assembly, which I later re-wrote in C and extended it to AMD64 (x86-64) just for fun. I used to have an NDA with both NVidia and ATI and got pre-released hardware to write pixel shaders for them when those were first coming out. I have done plenty of server work and many other software projects (raytracing, raycasting, crypto, dhcp server, Ethernet/IP driver for allen bradley hardware). I was working on a Linux server all day today trying to get a software manufacturers stuff working in our environment. It's a RHL server that I can only access via Remote desktop, then I can ssh from the remote desktop due to our network security/separation (no direction connection between my desktop and the Redhat server). The server itself is blocked from the internet, so WinSCP is the easiest way to get packages and images onto the server. My point wasn't that Linux is impossible, my point was some times it can be very frustrating to do things that should be simple. Most windows apps just run, must linux apps need tons of config before you can use it, and it's dependant on a lot of other things that need to be configured. Your assumption that people shouldn't be in tech if they don't care to edit text files by hand is very telling that you're one of those that look down on others because you know one thing they don't know, even if they know 100 things you don't know. I run into this often on *nix forums... much less often on windows forums. I run ubuntu on my home server which is a dual xeon box with 96GB of ram. I'm not afraid of linux, but I'm still not going to run it on my desktop. It's often annoying and a lot of things don't just work. Once you get things working, they tend to work very well, which is why I use it for my server and we use it at work on multiple servers. The fact that you can't see this and you think anyone that knows less than you shouldn't even bother to learn is exactly why people say these types of things about Linux and the usefulness of forums for answers.

Problem is, killing cortana in task manager doesn't kill cortana. It respawns instantly.

You have to kill that shit with fire and rename the executable, or better yet never let it take root to begin with by nuking it from the install ISO with MSMG Toolkit.

Actually that's all it needs to do.. Just end the current process so it can spawn with the reinstalled one that will magically work

Though I agree with your sentiment lol, would be nice to just have a simple search built into the start menu

And thanks for proving my point, lol. I even said that I am comformtable in Linux, but understand the frustrations and have run into them myself. I am quite competent with computers. I have written my own operating system (x86 32-bit, multi tasking, with drivers, VFS and a UI which was in C) in assembly, which I later re-wrote in C and extended it to AMD64 (x86-64) just for fun. I used to have an NDA with both NVidia and ATI and got pre-released hardware to write pixel shaders for them when those were first coming out. I have done plenty of server work and many other software projects (raytracing, raycasting, crypto, dhcp server, Ethernet/IP driver for allen bradley hardware). I was working on a Linux server all day today trying to get a software manufacturers stuff working in our environment. It's a RHL server that I can only access via Remote desktop, then I can ssh from the remote desktop due to our network security/separation (no direction connection between my desktop and the Redhat server). The server itself is blocked from the internet, so WinSCP is the easiest way to get packages and images onto the server. My point wasn't that Linux is impossible, my point was some times it can be very frustrating to do things that should be simple. Most windows apps just run, must linux apps need tons of config before you can use it, and it's dependant on a lot of other things that need to be configured. Your assumption that people shouldn't be in tech if they don't care to edit text files by hand is very telling that you're one of those that look down on others because you know one thing they don't know, even if they know 100 things you don't know. I run into this often on *nix forums... much less often on windows forums. I run ubuntu on my home server which is a dual xeon box with 96GB of ram. I'm not afraid of linux, but I'm still not going to run it on my desktop. It's often annoying and a lot of things don't just work. Once you get things working, they tend to work very well, which is why I use it for my server and we use it at work on multiple servers. The fact that you can't see this and you think anyone that knows less than you shouldn't even bother to learn is exactly why people say these types of things about Linux and the usefulness of forums for answers.

My statement regarding 'being in tech' was a statement in general, I probably should have provided better context.

The use of a GUI to manage a server is a vast waste of resources and in my opinion an inefficient way of managing servers. Powershell does overcome this somewhat, but I still prefer the use of plain text files as a method of managing servers. I don't have any more of an issue running software under Linux than I do running software under Windows.

If you believe people are looking down on you in .nix forums, perhaps that's simply an insecurity you need to overcome? I have never had an issue with the community beyond Windows users that only know Windows expecting Linux to be a drop in Windows replacement and ranting garbage when they discover Linux is in fact it's own operating system and nothing like Windows. Which in many situations isn't a bad thing.

As opposed to Windows on the desktop, my experience is that Linux on the desktop 'just works'. Hence the reason I run it, when I get home I'm not interested in fixing breakages as a result of Windows updates - Which is what this whole thread is about.

Last edited:
I Heck most desktops are so cluttered that people have to type what they're looking for on their desktop, which makes even less sense :).
I have two monitors. I would describe my icons as "in semi sorted piles". Search is for noobs.

My statement regarding 'being in tech' was a statement in general, I probably should have provided better context.

The use of a GUI to manage a server is a vast waste of resources and in my opinion an inefficient way of managing servers. Powershell does overcome this somewhat, but I still prefer the use of plain text files as a method of managing servers. I don't have any more of an issue running software under Linux than I do running software under Windows.

If you believe people are looking down on you in .nix forums, perhaps that's simply an insecurity you need to overcome? I have never had an issue with the community beyond Windows users that only know Windows expecting Linux to be a drop in Windows replacement and ranting garbage when they discover Linux is in fact it's own operating system and nothing like Windows. Which in many situations isn't a bad thing.

As opposed to Windows on the desktop, my experience is that Linux on the desktop 'just works'. Hence the reason I run it, when I get home I'm not interested in fixing breakages as a result of Windows updates - Which is what this whole thread is about.
They don't particularly look down upon me, but when I read the posts and responses you see it very often. My point still remains, just because someone doesn't remember the syntax to setup an iptables masquerade, doesn't make them stupid and doesn't mean they shouldn't be in tech. Maybe they havent learned it yet, or don't do it often. I'm pretty competent in Linux, but I still find a lot of things annoying and can understand how easy it is to get lost for a new person. Said new person trying to learn goes to forums asking questions and are told to give up on the tech industry. Real helpful. Not everyone was born with grub in their bottle and got a head seat at the iptable. People are at all sorts of levels, from know almost nothing to having the Linux Fu and everywhere between. Don't be so quick to judge others because they don't know something or aren't comfortable doing it yet. Now if you've shown them 8 times and they are still lost... That's the time to start judging ;).

I have two monitors. I would describe my icons as "in semi sorted piles". Search is for noobs.
Lol, I know that feeling, mine is starting to get cluttered again, almost time to clear it out some more. I don't leave my desktop empty, but it's less than 1/4 covered (about 20 icons/links).

They don't particularly look down upon me, but when I read the posts and responses you see it very often. My point still remains, just because someone doesn't remember the syntax to setup an iptables masquerade, doesn't make them stupid and doesn't mean they shouldn't be in tech. Maybe they havent learned it yet, or don't do it often. I'm pretty competent in Linux, but I still find a lot of things annoying and can understand how easy it is to get lost for a new person. Said new person trying to learn goes to forums asking questions and are told to give up on the tech industry. Real helpful. Not everyone was born with grub in their bottle and got a head seat at the iptable. People are at all sorts of levels, from know almost nothing to having the Linux Fu and everywhere between. Don't be so quick to judge others because they don't know something or aren't comfortable doing it yet. Now if you've shown them 8 times and they are still lost... That's the time to start judging ;).

Yeah, I agree. Swear at me with all the swear words in the book, besides GD, and I will not care. But using Stupid, Idiotic or dumb is straight up personal and not to be tolerated in my life. My level of IT understanding is just enough that I am very comfortable but still will always have something to learn. And I have been doing it professionally for over 20 years and personally almost 30 years. :)

Having allowed someone to bring me down in my past, that destroyed my health and confidence. Never again.

The use of a GUI to manage a server is not a waste of resources -- it's why Windows still exists. Microsoft has forgotten its roots and is now moving to Powershell for all management of servers. This was fine when it was in addition to the GUI tools to make managing large number of servers easier but they're now forgoing the use of the GUI for things making Powershell mandatory. If they took this attitude back in the 90's, there would be no Windows Server OS and everybody would be using Linux/Unix for their servers. So now we're stuck with multiple platforms using different scripting languages. For the small/medium business/home user with a few servers, requiring the use of Powershell for administering a server is a waste of resources. The GUI tools should just be manipulating the same configuration files that the scripts are but requiring a user to know some arcane syntax/parameter list to get things done does not have mass appeal. I agree that plain text files are preferable for configuration management but you should only have to go to them if things go awry.

The Linux forums and the Unix forums aren't exactly newb friendly -- the Unix ones are worse though. I find both better than the Microsoft ones.

I haven't moved my desktop to Linux or Unix yet but am getting close to doing so. Windows 10 hasn't caused me too many issues so a migration for me would probably be via dual boot so I'd have a fallback for certain programs since there aren't equivalents for everything in Windows.

I can't remember client's names! I have a cheat sheet for not so often used Linux commands, the point is I know how to use them.

Your argument sounds like the issue is yourself, not necessarily anyone else. If a Tech cannot operate and diagnose every system related to IT to a reasonable level, a tech should not be in IT - People who 'specialize' in Windows are really just baggage unable to learn anything different. It's like a mechanic, that can only work on Toyota's and refuses to even touch anything else - They're a pretty ordinary mechanic if that's the case.

The use of a GUI to manage a server is not a waste of resources -- it's why Windows still exists. Microsoft has forgotten its roots and is now moving to Powershell for all management of servers. This was fine when it was in addition to the GUI tools to make managing large number of servers easier but they're now forgoing the use of the GUI for things making Powershell mandatory. If they took this attitude back in the 90's, there would be no Windows Server OS and everybody would be using Linux/Unix for their servers. So now we're stuck with multiple platforms using different scripting languages. For the small/medium business/home user with a few servers, requiring the use of Powershell for administering a server is a waste of resources. The GUI tools should just be manipulating the same configuration files that the scripts are but requiring a user to know some arcane syntax/parameter list to get things done does not have mass appeal. I agree that plain text files are preferable for configuration management but you should only have to go to them if things go awry.

The Linux forums and the Unix forums aren't exactly newb friendly -- the Unix ones are worse though. I find both better than the Microsoft ones.

I haven't moved my desktop to Linux or Unix yet but am getting close to doing so. Windows 10 hasn't caused me too many issues so a migration for me would probably be via dual boot so I'd have a fallback for certain programs since there aren't equivalents for everything in Windows.

I disagree and I've made my point as to why. No need to go over and over the same argument and derail the thread. The issue sounds more like a confidence/over learnt muscle memory problem on your behalf as opposed to the community as such. The Ubuntu based community especially is very friendly. Arch users? Meh, I don't have time for them anyway.

I've never once used the Ubuntu Manpages to resolve an issue.

Arch users? Meh, I don't have time for them anyway.

Hey now...we're not all bad. :(

btw-i-use-arch-in-case-anyone-is-wondering-i-61294547.png

arch1.jpeg

I can't remember client's names! I have a cheat sheet for not so often used Linux commands, the point is I know how to use them.

Your argument sounds like the issue is yourself, not necessarily anyone else. If a Tech cannot operate and diagnose every system related to IT to a reasonable level, a tech should not be in IT - People who 'specialize' in Windows are really just baggage unable to learn anything different. It's like a mechanic, that can only work on Toyota's and refuses to even touch anything else - They're a pretty ordinary mechanic if that's the case.

I disagree and I've made my point as to why. No need to go over and over the same argument and derail the thread. The issue sounds more like a confidence/over learnt muscle memory problem on your behalf as opposed to the community as such. The Ubuntu based community especially is very friendly. Arch users? Meh, I don't have time for them anyway.

Ok, last response and I'll keep it short. My point was not everyone knows everything and we're talking to average users here, not those in tech for 20 years. Linux can be difficult to people and I can see why. If you haven't/can't see(n) it, good, obviously others have (not just me). Yes the issue is me, you got me. Everyone should know everything always, you win the internet today. :)

I hope you realize that you are reinforcing exactly what he is saying. That attitude is what turns people off from the Linux community, or at least some facets of it.
"If you don't know how to Linux, you're dumb doodoo head and should leave IT because you don't know everything".
How about helping instead of insulting?
Is it really that difficult to answer questions instead of accusing people of incompetence?

I hope you realize that you are reinforcing exactly what he is saying. That attitude is what turns people off from the Linux community, or at least some facets of it.
"If you don't know how to Linux, you're dumb doodoo head and should leave IT because you don't know everything".
Is it really that difficult to answer questions instead of accusing people of incompetence?

I stated:

"If a Tech cannot operate and diagnose every system related to IT to a reasonable level, a tech should not be in IT - People who 'specialize' in Windows are really just baggage unable to learn anything different. It's like a mechanic, that can only work on Toyota's and refuses to even touch anything else - They're a pretty ordinary mechanic if that's the case."

Which is 100% true. If all you can use is Windows and you aren't at least proficiant enough to diagnose and rectify issues under other operating systems, than your knowledge as a tech as well as your desire to be an effective tech is questionable just like the Mechanics knowledge of nothing but Toyota's is equally as questionable. These are the facts, too many techs today sold on Windows due to clever marketing that refuse to learn anything else even if the possibility exists that the alternative is a better solution. If this is the case, the problem is not the community, the problem is your own attitude. I in no way attacked the individual I was in discussion with, I merely highlighted that they may have a confidence issue that they are projecting onto the broader Linux community. We all have to start somewhere..

Let go of entrenched muscle memory and branch out or you'll quickly become redundant. The amount of work I get because Windows techs can't work on Apple products is downright ridiculous.

Linux is not difficult, Linux is simply not Windows - But certain individuals expect it to be because they have built up in their own minds that Windows is the benchmark, Windows is the be all and end all. Problem is: It isn't in many cases. As a user of many operating systems I'm only too happy to assist people where they're genuinely interested in sorting out problems with Linux as opposed to simply going out of their way to take a dump on Linux because it doesn't mimic Windows, while ignoring that Windows is also far from perfect. Something that happens all the time and is far from difficult to recognize.

If you have a genuine Linux issue, ask for help in the [H] Linux forums, plenty of knowledgeable people there only too happy to help.

Last edited:
Oh, you mean like how ManofGod has done throughout this entire thread, while also missing the point of the thread itself?
As I said before, use what works for you - just don't sugarcoat the bullshit aspects of Windows 10, because they are clearly an issue of privacy and security, and are purely there for Microsoft's gain at everyone's expense.

I'm not trying to take an elitist Linux stance on any of this, as Windows (desktop and server) has good tools for specific functions.
From Windows 10 and Server 2016 onward, though, the telemetry, data mining, complete lack of privacy, and security issues are rampant, and have publicly been this way since 2015 - you know, which is part of the very point of this thread.

As for what Mazzspeed is saying about Windows-only IT personnel, I do agree that they are limiting themselves in what they can manage, unless of course their jobs are purely Microsoft.
That's great and all, but when those same WIntel individuals look at anything else with disdain (much like what ManofGod is doing in this thread), especially without any knowledge of things outside of WIntel, it does show their extreme ignorance and the lack of desire to learn or improve beyond their limitations - this can go both ways, but I have seen this far more in the Microsoft camp than I have the *NIX camp, both on and offline.

Last edited:
So how are you OpenVMS skills? You got that command syntax memorized? It's alive and well in certain DOD installations. How about CMS? It's a pretty important z/VM component? Rexx? What about the AS400 world -- are you a wiz with IBM CL?
Or maybe Junos for switching/routing? Can't be a tech in IT without coming across some networking hardware... I doubt that a Linux guy would even be very competent in the AIX world and it's just another Unix variant. IT is a huge field and not just Windows or Linux. You just have to be adaptable. If Windows begins to suck too much, move on...

I stated:
"If a Tech cannot operate and diagnose every system related to IT to a reasonable level, a tech should not be in IT - People who 'specialize' in Windows are really just baggage unable to learn anything different. It's like a mechanic, that can only work on Toyota's and refuses to even touch anything else - They're a pretty ordinary mechanic if that's the case."

So how are you OpenVMS skills? You got that command syntax memorized? It's alive and well in certain DOD installations. How about CMS? It's a pretty important z/VM component? Rexx? What about the AS400 world -- are you a wiz with IBM CL?
Or maybe Junos for switching/routing? Can't be a tech in IT without coming across some networking hardware... I doubt that a Linux guy would even be very competent in the AIX world and it's just another Unix variant. IT is a huge field and not just Windows or Linux. You just have to be adaptable. If Windows begins to suck too much, move on...
Fully agreed, and hot damn, I would love to work on all of that - been trying to get my organization to get a mainframe for years, and it is more than justified at this point for the amount of operations we have running.
Once we do, I will be the first one in line for all of the above! (y)

If it's made by Man, I'll work it out - I won't just say it's too hard because it's different to what I'm used to. I actually used to own a PDP/11 as I love retro hardware.

I won't just claim Windows is awesome because it's all I'm used to and all I've known since birth. As a tech, adaption is important and you adapt on a whim. I was trained for 'big iron', but I admit I have forgotten a lot of what I was taught - Wouldn't mind firing up an emulator, been watching video's on them for quite some time now.

Last edited:

What. You don't have 200 txt files full of random PowerShell, Cisco commands, and other random scripts?

What if you remember just one part of the command? Search is great for that. If it actually works like it used to.

It is not deleting user data at all, despite the Forbes click bait title, once again. However, some are, for some reason, having a temp profile created, which is easily fixed and as far as I know, the exact same fix that occurred in Windows 7. No, for those wondering, this is not a Microsoft apologist speaking here but someone who is able to think without being sensational. (Not speaking againt erek himself, of course, but just simply stating this is not something new.)

Yep, no one knows everything and that is why there are specialist for almost everything in the computing world. I have never worked on AIX nor AS400 and I did not even realize REXX was still around, since the last time I heard of it was 1993. :) I have areas that I am quite good at because for some reason, those areas come natural to me, or I have been doing for so long, it just seems natural to me. Now, AIX, OpenVMS and AS400 would be a mystery to me. Could I learn them? Sure but, not overnight and probably not in any capacity that would net me a job with them.

Just use Simplewall, which is found at github, if you want to block those connections.

That isn’t the point, you paid for the software, they have no right to constantly leech your data and impact infrastructure. The problem is no one ever fkn does anything about it.

That isn’t the point, you paid for the software, they have no right to constantly leech your data and impact infrastructure. The problem is no one ever fkn does anything about it.

Irrelevant, you can either use a solution or whine and cry about it.

He skirted this one, but according to his previous statements, he shouldn't be working in tech either... ;). Of course I dont believe that, he's probably plenty competent in the tech field, even if he doesn't agree.

Yep, no one knows everything and that is why there are specialist for almost everything in the computing world. I have never worked on AIX nor AS400 and I did not even realize REXX was still around, since the last time I heard of it was 1993. :) I have areas that I am quite good at because for some reason, those areas come natural to me, or I have been doing for so long, it just seems natural to me. Now, AIX, OpenVMS and AS400 would be a mystery to me. Could I learn them? Sure but, not overnight and probably not in any capacity that would net me a job with them.

No, no one knows everything. That's why you get in there and work it out.

Back