Windows 10 Warning: Anger At Microsoft Rises With Serious New Failure

Funny that, you can still ,manually search in Windows Explorer. No Internets Required :D

Just because they add new fancy features doesn't mean the old ones are gone. And that is why I'm not switching form MS: it still works.

Yeah... I think the whole Windows 8 mess got people used to "typing" to find anything. Of course, my main point was merely poking fun at humanity.

Microsoft is digging its own grave... is what I would say if they weren't embedded in the market like the giant toxic tick that they are.

'Pats my trusty, still functioning and not updated for over a year win7 install'

Win10: not even once.
I think I'll have to get an offline install in future for some games, only connected to game with windows poz loading updates and all the bullshit disabled. W10 is cancerous crap and the adoption rate speaks volumes.

This is just more evidence of how Windows10, despite having some actual benefits over Win7/8.1 beneath the surface, is designed in ways that don't favor the user focusing instead on the benefits to Microsoft; monetary, control, and otherwise. There's no reason that a LOCAL search bar built into the OS should be predicated on a network asset! Ultimately the hits just keep on coming and each user needs to decide when enough is enough.

I'll be the first one to uphold desktop Linux as a preferable alternative, with both functional/pragmatic and ethical benefits. I saw some mention of gaming earlier and can confirm that gaming on Linux can be an excellent experience; for those unaware, it is no longer limited to a handful of Source games or rare ports but instead is growing well indeed. WINE and similar tools (DXVK etc) have grown in compatibility and sophistication, with Valve leading the charge using their open source Proton, natively integrated into Steam and officially supported for some titles while easily enabled for all others. ProtonDB is a user-directed site for reporting Proton gaming experience, by the way. Of course, more games than ever (at least those on Steam - I am disgusted with those actively hostile such as the Epic Store, among their other bad behavior) support Linux natively; their developers should be extended extra commendation and support for doing so. This is not to say that everything is 100% compatible (certain anti-cheats are particularly frustrating as games can be played and perform flawlessly, yet the 3rd party anticheat garbage will freak out unsure how to deal with Linux/Wine/Proton and thus make it functionally unplayable) or you'll never need to change a setting/use a workaround etc - after all, you're sometimes dealing with software that was not meant to run on this OS - but there's a good deal of compatibility and parity function these days.

Be it issues of privacy, security, data sovereignty, or just getting away from bothersome other-than-the-user-focused design, switching away from common proprietary software/services is an increasingly popular change. However, like any change it will take some degree of effort and/or adjustment. Its a lot of easier to simply do nothing and complain , or refuse to budge while the barriers that vested interests have erected purposefully remain, but nothing will improve that way. Technically there are fewer hurdles with more and better alternatives than ever,so people just need to decide what steps they can take and what they can do to support moving the correct direction. I'll close this now because in writing I'm finding it difficult to continue without branching out into social and economic systemic issues that have led us to where we are, but suffice it to say we can't expect playing by the rules or upholding the systems of those who profit from exploitation will fix the issue!

Sounds as bad as the errant '/' that brought Google Search down. It'll get fixed, eventually, but it does bring to light that Microsoft hasn't been completely transparent with consumers.

For everything else there´s Everything
The first thing that gets installed on all my PCs. Instant real-time results as you're typing. MS acquiring this company years ago and making it the default search would've been such an easy lay up. But no, instead they're still using 30 year old code *welp let's scan the entire disk again with a "dir /s" for every new search*

Last edited:
It was hilarious because a statement like that about a luxury like PC gaming is ridiculous. If a company is taking advantage of you and you know it but you feel like you have no choice but to play your games anyway then I don't know what to tell you other than that you always have a choice and making a poor one because the alternative is boring or inconvenient doesn't make it any less of a choice.
Are you trolling or are you serious? Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

I had to deal with this at work. I put two and two together after two companies I deal with had the exact same issue and a 30 second search found MS screwed up. I was not amused at the waste of IT time.

Linux is no different in this regard, how do you think anyone transitioning to Linux does so? Conflict arises when transitioning Windows users fly off the handle criticizing Linux because Linux is not a Windows clone and their learnt muscle memory doesn't apply, resulting in friction from the Linux community. MacOS isn't a Windows clone, yet everyone seems to be perfectly capable of accepting that fact. In fact MacOS is so similar to Linux it's uncanny.

Transitioning is almost idiot proof. Young teenagers literally install Linux and have been for as long as I can remember. That's never been the problem.

The issue is finding help when something breaks. I literally could not find a single site with information I needed to fix my Freenas box. You know what I did find? People posting about the same issue and being told to piss off because they couldn't figure it out themselves. Best help was "Backup your data and start over." This wasn't 10 years ago. This was months ago. Yeah. That's super helpful.

You can't compare MacOS at all. You can actually find lots of info for fixing things in MacOS from Terminal without any judgement.

why not just disable the reporting back to microsoft functionality? or just use Everything? Much easier than installing Linux

Transitioning is almost idiot proof. Young teenagers literally install Linux and have been for as long as I can remember. That's never been the problem.

The issue is finding help when something breaks. I literally could not find a single site with information I needed to fix my Freenas box. You know what I did find? People posting about the same issue and being told to piss off because they couldn't figure it out themselves. Best help was "Backup your data and start over." This wasn't 10 years ago. This was months ago. Yeah. That's super helpful.

You can't compare MacOS at all. You can actually find lots of info for fixing things in MacOS from Terminal without any judgement.

I am not doubting you had a bad experience, but I don't think its right to claim that Linux troubleshooting generally happens as you describe. I've had the opposite experience where there have been lots of forums, chats, wikis (not to mention purchased one on one support available in some cases, if desired) where I found help with Linux, but had some dreadful Mac OSX / iOS related experiences being told that wanting to do something besides The One Right And True Apple Way as Handed Down By Lord Jobs Himself was unacceptable.

For both OSes (just like Windows for that matter) there are better and worse sources of information, helpful people and those who are judgmental/combative, and (usually if you want to pay for it) high quality paid support available for those who desire it.

I actually had this all disabled (according to the registry fix.) after reinstalling windows 10 and choosing custom options and option NOT to share my data with MS.

What this tells me is a lot of people just blindly accepted everything and then acted SHOCKED AND AMAZED that this happened.

(And I know it was install because I JUST rebuilt my system.)

So everyone saying MS is the devil for not telling people this... and I was one of those people.

In THIS case we were wrong because the option is there at install to turn all of this off if you choose to customize your install.

Transitioning is far from idiot proof considering someone that's been using Windows since beginning school, quite often they quite simply cannot get around the fact that Linux is not a direct Windows clone.

Furthermore, MacOS uses the exact same terminal commands as Linux, terminal commands that are every bit as necessary once anyone gets past the very basics of MacOS, and the Windows user base is not free from unhelpful individuals. My experience is that the community is actually surprisingly helpful assuming you have the right attitude and aren't simply out to take a dump on Linux.

Transitioning is far from idiot proof considering someone that's been using Windows since beginning school, quite often they quite simply cannot get around the fact that Linux is not a direct Windows clone.

Furthermore, MacOS uses the exact same terminal commands as Linux, terminal commands that are every bit as necessary once anyone gets past the very basics of MacOS, and the Windows user base is not free from unhelpful individuals. My experience is that the community is actually surprisingly helpful assuming you have the right attitude and aren't simply out to take a dump on Linux.

Why didn't you just say Apple OS is based on BSD and be done with it? Because it is. Hence it is nothing more than a more advanced GUI on a branch of Linux.

Why didn't you just say Apple OS is based on BSD and be done with it? Because it is. Hence it is nothing more than a more advanced GUI on a branch of Linux.

Because the distinction is fairly meaningless. As stated above, it just means Apple pay the Open Group for such a certification.

Nothing you say is untrue. However, macOS traces its roots right back to BSD which a Linux it is not.

The BSD components have eroded significantly as time has progressed...

Linux is a Unix clone and closer in implementation to Unix than MacOS. In essence, Linux is modern Unix.

Microsoft crossed the line when they started overwriting my EFI partitions to only boot Windows because they cant handle people using another OS. Microsoft can burn in a fuking fire with a cactus up it’s ass.

I am going to say this once, for now: Using MacOS, Windows and Linux Desktop is all pretty well equal and enjoyable in their own way. The fact that I can chose what I want to use is great and one is not better than the other. The only OSes that were great, in my opinion, and superior to everything else at the time, was OS/2 Warp and Amiga OS 2.04. :)

LOL! Yeah, good luck with your pseudo privacy and security, instead.
As opposed to absolutely no privacy and "security"?
I will take my chances with literally any other OS on the planet, thanks.

I am going to say this once, for now: Using MacOS, Windows and Linux Desktop is all pretty well equal
You are pissing backwards with what you just stated in the quote above about Linux having pseudo privacy and security, yet now you say all of the OSes are pretty well equal...?
Just use what works for you, and vote with your wallet.

If you want Microsoft's 1984-level spyware 69'ing your data, that is completely your choice.
I suppose you are right on one aspect, in that at least with Microsoft, you know where you and your data stand, snake eye'd and completely back-ended; again, enjoy that corporate rimjob.

Last edited:
We're not debating Linux as not equal to Unix. macOS is not Linux, full stop.

I never claimed MacOS was Linux, not sure where you got that from. I believe we were talking about Unix certification, the Open Group, and the fact that Linux is now actually closer to Unix than MacOS in it's modern iteration.

Microsoft crossed the line when they started overwriting my EFI partitions to only boot Windows because they cant handle people using another OS. Microsoft can burn in a fuking fire with a cactus up it’s ass.

Ouch! :D

When Windows 10 was new back in 2015, I was worried they were going to try something like that.
Lo and behold, they did do it, which is beyond invasive and destructive.

When Windows 10 was new back in 2015, I was worried they were going to try something like that.
Lo and behold, they did do it, which is beyond invasive and destructive.

It's the reason I seperate my OS drives completely, using the UEFI boot manager to select the desired operating system. Let the spoilt little rich kid play over in his own little sandbox, away from the other well adjusted children.

This is what I was initially responding to. I'm sure s/he meant to say a branch of Unix and not Linux but the way the sentence reads, BSD is a branch of Linux, which is not correct.

Actually, Apple pay for Unix certification, Linux is more closely related to Unix than MacOS is. The only difference is Linux devs don't pay the Open Group for Unix 'certification'.

And, like I said, nothing about what you stated is untrue but then I never was claiming that Linux wasn't UNIX.

It's the reason I seperate my OS drives completely, using the UEFI boot manager to select the desired operating system. Let the spoilt little rich kid play over in his own little sandbox, away from the other well adjusted children.

For me it also rewrites other drives even if they don’t have anything Windows related on them to boot only your Windows drive. Happens during major updates to all my SSDs

Last edited by a moderator:
Back