Windows 10 Version 1809 Is Getting a Re-Release Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that irks me is why someone would use a mechanical drive at all, anymore, as a boot drive. :D Also, on the same drive, Linux ain't no speed demon either. This is 2018, not 2008.

Edit: Oh, and a 5400 rpm hard drive of any capacity is NOT moderately decent hardware.

Most average PC users running Windows use mechanical HDD's, I'd estimate that's a good 80% of users. So HDD aside, an i5 of literally any generation and at least 4GB of ram is moderately decent hardware and exactly what most are running.

So, once again, most Windows 10 PC's are slow as molasses, something that's not in any way an issue under Linux.

Most average PC users running Windows use mechanical HDD's, I'd estimate that's a good 80% of users. So HDD aside, an i5 of literally any generation and at least 4GB of ram is moderately decent hardware and exactly what most are running.

So, once again, most Windows 10 PC's are slow as molasses, something that's not in any way an issue under Linux.

Most Windows 10 PC's are not slow as molasses but then again, whatever. Linux Desktop's are not all super duper speedy usey either. :D

Most Windows 10 PC's are not slow as molasses but then again, whatever. Linux Desktop's are not all super duper speedy usey either. :D

Generally speaking, especially with mechanical HDD's, they're a magnitude faster than Windows 10 based systems. These issues with Windows updates wiping user profiles and software/data is nothing new, it's been going on since Windows 10 has existed. I see absolutely no reason why it would end now.

Ah, nope, just nope. :D Also, I bet you that there would be different results based upon what distro and kernel level was being used. You linked the 2990wx only, nice try though. :bored::rolleyes:

What the hell are you talking about? The second linked article is an XPS 13 running an i7. What's interesting about the second article is that there are many instances where Windows 10 running Ubuntu WSL was actually faster than native Windows 10 - Especially where IO bandwidth was important. The NTFS file system coupled with the NT kernel is just too old and slow now, it's the main reason the updater is so intrusive and time consuming and it's one reason the updater is so unreliable.

Due to the fact there were a number of distro's tested, I'm certain there would be different results based on the kernel used. Considering the newer kernels and advances to graphics drivers, both binary and open source, I have no doubt that a rerun would show Linux to be even faster now.

Wah
would you like some cheese w/that whine

He's got a valid point. People just need to remember that being critical creates change, and when it comes to Windows 10 there's a lot to be critical about - Especially where updates are concerned. It's impossible to be critical without making comparisons.

So you think running those titles under native Windows isn't as reliable or fast? Because that 'interpretation layer' consists of .DLL's that are very much present under Windows as well as Linux - Nothing communicates directly with the HAL unless it's malware, something that's also 'very' well supported under Windows.

Gamers....

Before mouthing off, please, get a clue. Notice I mentioned gamers in general, not targeting you directly. :rolleyes:
Show me on the doll where Bill Gates touched you.

The person I was replying to was referring to running games using DXVK, which translates DX10/11 to Vulkan. I understand how abstraction and layers work in PCs, albeit mostly at a higher level, but this is pretty straightforward. You are translating calls from one rendering API to another, which doesn't have to happen in Windows, because the games are running Direct3D natively. I looked up benchmarks using DXVK and most games aren't at 100% speed vs Windows, so "best case" you're jumping through extra hoops for no real reason other than to say you run Linux.

I don't have anything against Linux as an OS so please get off of your soap box, it's not needed. It's just not a good gaming OS. Both OSes have pros and cons, and since I don't personally have any issues with my systems and Windows 10, I don't feel any impetus to jump platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back