Windows 10 v1909 + z370 asus wont sleep due to Intel USB extensible controller?

markm75

Gawd
For the last few versions of windows i've had this annoying issue with the pc not wanting to sleep after timeout.

My motherboard is the asus z370 hero with 8700k cpu for reference.

It doesnt always occur, sometimes i can reboot and it will sleep fine after timeout after reboot. Other times after its been used forawhile it will fail again.

Powercfg /lastwake typically shows this

Type: Device
Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2AF&SUBSYS_872F1043&REV_00\3&11583659&0&A0
Friendly Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
Description: USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller
Manufacturer: Generic USB xHCI Host Controller

I've dug around online but i really dont see a consistent solution to this issue.

I believe in the past i've tried unplugging all usb's and the issue would still persist.

Has anyone had this and found a fix?

Thanks in advance

I've got a similar issue actually, Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero, 8700K. Will go to sleep fine if I tell it, but if it wakes (usually some random update even though it's up-to-date) it won't go back to sleep on its own. It's really annoying and nothing seems to fix it.

I realized that my computer doesn't sleep when I have a controller attached. Which is annoying because I usually have a controller attached.
edit: Console Game Controller, like a PS4 or Xbox One

Last edited:
I realized that my computer doesn't sleep when I have a controller attached. Which is annoying because I usually have a controller attached.
edit: Console Game Controller, like a PS4 or Xbox One
No controllers attached to mine. I'm never sure whether it's a Windows or BIOS issue. I recall I had a USB issue over a year back with this board that was similar to this, and they did a BIOS update that fixed it. I'm also fairly sure I've had this sleep issue since then too. But that could be co-incidence.

I thought the usb i posted about was the culprit, in my case now i dont think. On a fresh reboot it sleeps just fine every time, both screen and full pc sleep. Often even hours later after using various apps. Then suddenly it will stop working. Both powercfg scans show nothing holding it up (aside from that usb listing which shows even when it works). I try killing processes one by one till it works and i cant get it to work, for both lcd timeout and pc sleep. Its very odd.

Back