Windows 10 users with fast USB 3.0 speeds..can you tell me which chipset you have?

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hello!
So I am about to buy a PCIe to USB 3 card and trying to determine which model works fine with Windows 10 64bit giving correct speeds not dropping to USB 2.0 like my current old Renesas.
So I am seeing two main options one based on Renesas uPD720201 and the other on the FL1100 chipset.

Thus I am looking for feedback from users getting fast speeds on windows 10 to see which one you are using.

Thanks!

I bought a Sabrent branded card with a VIA chipset at Fry's for $30. Speeds are equal to or better than what I'm achieving on my MacBook Pro with Windows 10 running under bootcamp.

I bought a Sabrent branded card with a VIA chipset at Fry's for $30. Speeds are equal to or better than what I'm achieving on my MacBook Pro with Windows 10 running under bootcamp.
I read some bad comments about VIA at least for Oculus but I will look into it. Can you tell me which model exactly?
thanks!!!

I read some bad comments about VIA at least for Oculus but I will look into it. Can you tell me which model exactly?
thanks!!!

I'd have to do some googling or take a stroll through that aisle next time I go to Fry's. I'm sure it's just a rebranded card that a handful of other vendors slap their name on. You may be right about the VIA chipset, I didn't really put any forethought into what card to buy as it went into an older machine.

I think this might be the card. Looks like it is getting pretty mixed reviews so it may not be the one you want. https://www.sabrent.com/product/CP-4PTU/usb-3-0-4-port-pci-express-card/

Worth noting that the first few USB3.0 PCIe cards with Renesas chipsets were absolutely garbage performance wise.

Find one with the newest chipset or try and see what chipset is going into modern motherboards (should be listed).

Well so to update here, I got the new USB 3.0 board and it works great at full speeds. Then I added the Vemon USB hub and perfect speeds. That was the best part.
Then came the Problem. I left home and when I came back I couldnt turn on the PC. I noticed a light in front for the HDD like some power was still running which was odd. I unplugged the power cord and STILL my pc was showing power with some LEDs on and some fans slowly spinning. It was the power USB hub backfeeding power into my PC!!!!! The moment I unplugged the HUB, the power was completely gone and my PC will turn on normally.
I was pissed off as that was running for at least 3 hours before I got back home.

Now I am getting some BSODs randomly and after checking the dump file it is related to ntoskrnl.exe so I am wondering if that stupid hub ended up killing some of my memory modules. I sure hope not as two of them are not easy to find any more (Tracer DDR3 flashy lights). Anyways...we shall see but yeah, I am NOT happy :/

Well so to update here, I got the new USB 3.0 board and it works great at full speeds. Then I added the Vemon USB hub and perfect speeds. That was the best part.
Then came the Problem. I left home and when I came back I couldnt turn on the PC. I noticed a light in front for the HDD like some power was still running which was odd. I unplugged the power cord and STILL my pc was showing power with some LEDs on and some fans slowly spinning. It was the power USB hub backfeeding power into my PC!!!!! The moment I unplugged the HUB, the power was completely gone and my PC will turn on normally.
I was pissed off as that was running for at least 3 hours before I got back home.

Now I am getting some BSODs randomly and after checking the dump file it is related to ntoskrnl.exe so I am wondering if that stupid hub ended up killing some of my memory modules. I sure hope not as two of them are not easy to find any more (Tracer DDR3 flashy lights). Anyways...we shall see but yeah, I am NOT happy :/

What chipset is on you USB 3.0 adapter card? I'm looking at getting a PCI card to add in to an older setup. Thanks, in advance.

You are very welcome.
The only thing I have not been able to get working is the front USB 3.0 of my case that are connected to the internal USB 3.0 of that card. I mean, they work for gaming controllers and flash drives (some) but not with portable HDDs so not sure why.. The back ports though run great!

The cards I have with uPD720201 chipsets have never had reliability nor performance issues, Win 7 through 10. I don't have any UASP devices for higher speed testing but the BOT speeds are just as fast if not faster than the Intel chipset on board because Intel won't release a Win 8/10 specific USB 3.0 driver so the Microsoft xHCI is the only choice for that whereas Renesas drivers appear to be much more fequently updated.

Back