Windows 10 users fume: Microsoft, where's our 'local account' option gone?

If you’re into gaming, yes. I’ve tried a billion times to mix Linux and gaming and it just isn’t there yet.
If you are into gaming why don't u get xbone instead? No?
i doubt that number "billion"

Today rhel flavors or suse already have everything; and if you really need gaming just play the good games that are available on linux. 90% of all games that are not available on linux are trash anyway; and you can still play all of them on emulator or kvm.
In terms of industry standard tools, which ones? I mean damn maya is available on nix.

I agree that app support (games especially) is solid on Windows, but Linux has been getting better.

For example the Steam beta with Proton, a lot of Windows only games work with maybe minor issues (not all games work, but more than you think).

Also, FOSS apps like GIMP and Blender have made big improvements in the last year or so, but I can understand if you need a specific app for work.

Well one thing that Windows HAD on Linux was stability. Lately that's been an issue for windows, These windows 10 rolling updates have sucked qc. I'd have to say Linux has been more update stable lately. Think about that one.

I agree that app support (games especially) is solid on Windows, but Linux has been getting better.

For example the Steam beta with Proton, a lot of Windows only games work with maybe minor issues (not all games work, but more than you think).

Also, FOSS apps like GIMP and Blender have made big improvements in the last year or so, but I can understand if you need a specific app for work.

Considering Steamplay/Proton, not to mention Lutris as well as full OGL support, Vulkan support as well as driver support, especially Nvidia driver support - Linux is now the second most desirable PC gaming platform. The number of titles available under Linux both natively as well as via Steamplay/Proton is far more than the number of titles available under MacOS, and Linux has the ability to run better hardware for less $$ than MacOS with better cooling.

Sure, Windows holds an edge, it would want to considering the amount of time it's been the main PC gaming platform.

Well one thing that Windows HAD on Linux was stability. Lately that's been an issue for windows, These windows 10 rolling updates have sucked qc. I'd have to say Linux has been more update stable lately. Think about that one.

When was Linux unstable? I haven't experienced an updating issue on a distro that wasn't rolling release for many, many years now. Even rolling release is pretty good these days.

When was Linux unstable? I haven't experienced an updating issue on a distro that wasn't rolling release for many, many years now. Even rolling release is pretty good these days.

That's not my experience until the last couple years. Package "QA" is much better now for Linux. Not an updating issue per se.. but bad app versions (development, versioning). The core update methodology is clean as it's been for years. (apt, dnf.. ect)

That's not my experience until the last couple years. Package "QA" is much better now for Linux. Not an updating issue per se.. but bad app versions (development, versioning). The core update methodology is clean as it's been for years. (apt, dnf.. ect)

OK, interesting. I'd have to say I haven't experienced a Linux stability issue for a good five years at least, personally I don't think any OS is 100% faultless in this regard but I don't see many servers crashing and Linux forms the backbone of the Internet.

If you are into gaming why don't u get xbone instead? No?
i doubt that number "billion"

Today rhel flavors or suse already have everything; and if you really need gaming just play the good games that are available on linux. 90% of all games that are not available on linux are trash anyway; and you can still play all of them on emulator or kvm.
In terms of industry standard tools, which ones? I mean damn maya is available on nix.
Yes. Literally a billion.

OK, interesting. I'd have to say I haven't experienced a Linux stability issue for a good five years at least, personally I don't think any OS is 100% faultless in this regard but I don't see many servers crashing and Linux forms the backbone of the Internet.
Server and desktop are two different worlds.

Not looking for an argument, my experiences simply don't reflect your own. Ubuntu Server and Desktop still use the same file system/package manager.
But any organization worth their salt extensively test server packages and system compatibility on their own. Desktop and workstation are secondary. I’m talking enterprise.

But any organization worth their salt extensively test server packages and system compatibility on their own. Desktop and workstation are secondary. I’m talking enterprise.

Fair enough. I can honestly say your experiences don't match mine, but I respect your opinion.

Honestly wasn't trying to make this a Windows vs. Linux thread.

Obviously Windows gets more software support because it is more popular.

McDonald's is also the world's most popular restaurant. Take from that what you may.

I think it is widely enough accepted now that Microsoft 10 is a BAD PRODUCT. That being the case the following phrase has become as ubiquitous as "can it run Crysis"
"Ahem.... Linux Anyone?"

IMHO Windows is simultaneously the best and worst Windows of all time.

The kernel and scheduler have never been better. The memory and disk footprint are the smallest they have been since pre SP1 Windows XP. There are many technical ways that Windows 10 is the best Windows ever.

Where it falls down are the stupid things that they are forcing on us. Update delivery optimization, online accounts, being forced into an ecosystem instead of just an operating system, etc.

So, it's a mixed bag.

To your point Linux does the good things about Windows 10 much much better than Windows 10 does, using a fraction of the disk space, RAM and CPU in most cases.

This is why I use Linux for all of my desktop needs.

I still dual boot for gaming though, as the Linux gaming experience plain sucks. Sure it is better now than it has ever been with Steamplay, Wine tricks and DXVK, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Mouse feel is usually off, driver support lacks many of the options we take for granted on Windows, and the performance takes anywhere from a small but noticible to a devastating hit.

I try to run 4k ultra for my gaming purposes. I'm usually just squeaking by reaching 60fps on my Pascal Titan X. I can't afford to even lose 5% GPU performance.

Yes as always OS bitch threads end up windows for games, Linux for workstation. Toss up on desktop.

I read through this since I ran into it while setting up windows 10 home on a computer I built for my friend and I feel people in here are missing each other in their posts lol.

Windows 10 home has this problem and Windows 10 pro or any other version that allows for domain join does not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

Microsoft may also be running an A/B test on the local login option.

Would explain why some people get it and some people do not.

I just bought a new little Asus Vivobook L203MA and made the mistake of connecting to WiFi during the OOBE setup and it would NOT let me create a offline account, even with a hard reboot and cutting the router off. Just kept throwing a unable to connect error and try again button. I ended up just wiping it (which was a pain in the ass because of fastboot) and putting pop_os on it.

Microsofts heavy handedness has pushed me away from using any Microsoft products for good.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Microsoft may also be running an A/B test on the local login option.

Would explain why some people get it and some people do not.

They are and the original discussion on the matter highlighted that this is in fact the case with the cloud based OOBE in every circumstance. I've been noticing it for as long as I've been installing Windows 10.

When it comes to gaming, I most definitely wouldn't say "Linux isn't there yet", as that's just not the case.

Considering SteamPlay/Proton and Lutris, both of which are simple to use, Linux now has vastly more titles available to it than MacOS and in a number of cases performance is just as good as Windows if not better in the case of Vulkan titles. Considering the current state of drivers, Linux has a wider range of hardware available to it compared to MacOS, Linux can run current Nvidia graphics cards, MacOS cannot. Considering OGL support as well as Vulkan support, Linux fully supports OGL and Vulkan, MacOS does not. Considering file system/scheduler performance, which is important considering Vulkan, Linux performs better than Windows.

Basically, Linux is now the second most desirable gaming platform under Steam. Forget topping Windows, it's never going to happen considering the amount of time Windows has been the developers platform of choice - This is a no brainer.

There are still some challenges to overcome, Freesync for example is still fairly limited IMO, not too sure about G-Sync however I do know the Nvidia drivers under Linux support it - Such issues are scheduled to be resolved by December, January at the latest. So development is pressing forward at a fairly quick pace.

Sure, if you want 4k/Ultra in every title, at this point in time it's probably best to stick to Windows for a consistent experience. But I run 4k/High settings in many titles with some titles dropped down to 1080p as it scales perfectly into 4k and my gaming experience under Linux satisfies me perfectly. Not looking for an argument, just a little perspective on the matter.

When it comes to gaming, I most definitely wouldn't say "Linux isn't there yet", as that's just not the case.

Considering SteamPlay/Proton and Lutris, both of which are simple to use, Linux now has vastly more titles available to it than MacOS and in a number of cases performance is just as good as Windows if not better in the case of Vulkan titles. Considering the current state of drivers, Linux has a wider range of hardware available to it compared to MacOS, Linux can run current Nvidia graphics cards, MacOS cannot. Considering OGL support as well as Vulkan support, Linux fully supports OGL and Vulkan, MacOS does not. Considering file system/scheduler performance, which is important considering Vulkan, Linux performs better than Windows.

Basically, Linux is now the second most desirable gaming platform under Steam. Forget topping Windows, it's never going to happen considering the amount of time Windows has been the developers platform of choice - This is a no brainer.

There are still some challenges to overcome, Freesync for example is still fairly limited IMO, not too sure about G-Sync however I do know the Nvidia drivers under Linux support it - Such issues are scheduled to be resolved by December, January at the latest. So development is pressing forward at a fairly quick pace.

Sure, if you want 4k/Ultra in every title, at this point in time it's probably best to stick to Windows for a consistent experience. But I run 4k/High settings in many titles with some titles dropped down to 1080p as it scales perfectly into 4k and my gaming experience under Linux satisfies me perfectly. Not looking for an argument, just a little perspective on the matter.
I think I’m gonna dual boot my next PC build and give it another go. What flavor of Linux are you currently running?

I think I’m gonna dual boot my next PC build and give it another go. What flavor of Linux are you currently running?

If you have more than one computer, do not dual boot, it is not worth it. Just install it on one of the computers and enjoy. The best is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS if you want simple stability.

Being the second most desirable gaming platform under steam is not that much of accomplishment, considering there is really only two players in the PC market. I would say also that when it comes to gaming, Linux is not there yet. Now, if the games you are playing are on Linux are there and you want to play them there, great but, many, many games are not there at all yet.

Now, I am pleased to see there are more options for people and I have always been a more options are better kind of person. However, I also am not a person who is going to limit myself to only one of those options, since there is no need for that. Windows is a solid Workstation, gaming and all around operating system, even today. Linux is a really good programmers OS and second option for those who want to use it as a Workstation and sometimes gaming OS.

Now, I am going to go try out Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my Ubuntu install, later.

Edit: Oh, but I am going to try Star Control: Origins first.

Being the second most desirable gaming platform under steam is not that much of accomplishment, considering there is really only two players in the PC market. I would say also that when it comes to gaming, Linux is not there yet. Now, if the games you are playing are on Linux are there and you want to play them there, great but, many, many games are not there at all yet.

Now, I am pleased to see there are more options for people and I have always been a more options are better kind of person. However, I also am not a person who is going to limit myself to only one of those options, since there is no need for that. Windows is a solid Workstation, gaming and all around operating system, even today. Linux is a really good programmers OS and second option for those who want to use it as a Workstation and sometimes gaming OS.

Now, I am going to go try out Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my Ubuntu install, later.

Edit: Oh, but I am going to try Star Control: Origins first.

There's three players in the PC gaming market, a Mac is still an x64 based PC with a locked down EFI.

I'm sure using Windows as an all in one solution suits your needs just fine, however that by no means makes it the only option.

There's three players in the PC gaming market, a Mac is still an x64 based PC with a locked down EFI.

I'm sure using Windows as an all in one solution suits your needs just fine, however that by no means makes it the only option.

You did not read my post or you would not have responded at the end as you did. Oh well...... carry on.

Back