Windows 10 users fume: Microsoft, where's our 'local account' option gone?

Windows works extremely well, why would I want to do that? Everything I have works with it, including the ultimate game pass, which I got with my XBox Live Gold subscription. To each their own, I do not really care.

Edit: Fixed to make sense. :D ;) (removed the word: not.)
So you enjoy all your private information sold 'round the world by Microsoft, et al. Good to know.

I'm posting to eat crow. I used to get pissed about all the Microsoft account bullshit that comes with Windows and Office. I mean, pissed. Finally I gave in and allowed Office to connect to Microsoft OneDrive so I could share something with a client. And then I tried a Microsoft PIN account. And then OneDrive version control. And then I tried a stored profile so I could use a computer in an office 200 miles away.

I cannot say what will happen in the future, and I realize this may not be the right solution for everyone, but I've taken some time to learn the tools and right now I can't see anything I don't like about signing in with Microsoft and OneDrive. I am eating crow. Big crow. I feel like I wasted time fighting it.
When they break down your door and arrest you for saying something "wrong"/owning some digital media someone decides you can't own anymore/having data on your drive some malware out there that implicates you in a crime, you just might rethink that position.

It's a step that sounds like it should only be necessary if you are trying to avoid activation servers for piracy. Shouldn't be a step required to legitimately use software the way people want.
I guess you enjoy being spied on, too.

Remember guys, the Windows operating system is a service. A service that can be revoked at any time for any reason or no reason as all online accounts will eventually be tied to identities.

And if Microsoft doesn't like your identity then it can suspend login of your identity until you comply with their terms of service (what will eventually be known as terms of existence)

Time to reinvent the internet.
Or use Linux.

When they break down your door and arrest you for saying something "wrong"/owning some digital media someone decides you can't own anymore/having data on your drive some malware out there that implicates you in a crime, you just might rethink that position.

Dude, that has been a possibility for a couple of decades, at least, with all operating systems and stuff. Unfortunately, it was called a "conspiracy theory" back then. However, no, using a Microsoft account on my computer does not open the door to what you are claiming above. Good luck with your belief that you are secure because you are using linux.

I've been using Linux as my primary OS for 20 years.

I just keep Windows 10 around as a secondary boot dedicated to games.

I'm not happy with the performance and stability of games under Linux.
I have to agree with this. My last attempt to run Linux was a fail because I couldn't get my favorite games to run under it. :-(

Dude, that has been a possibility for a couple of decades, at least, with all operating systems and stuff. Unfortunately, it was called a "conspiracy theory" back then. However, no, using a Microsoft account on my computer does not open the door to what you are claiming above. Good luck with your belief that you are secure because you are using linux.
Far more secure than that virus masking itself as an OS...

this is all just a push towards getting everyone connected all of the time, how else are they going to keep tabs on what you say/do?

Someone is paranoid..........
You forget that most of that can be detected by your ISP. Downloading movies anyone???

We're all gonna go to jail and be criminals lol.

While it kinda sucks, I don't do illegal things, so at least I'm not going to jail.

I just installed W10 on a new PC and I saw the offline account option.

Just today I did a reinstall after yet another underwhelming Linux try-out. Downloaded the latest W10 iso with 1903 update and there was no local account option anywhere. But the moment I turned my internet router off and pressed back button the ability to create a local account came back.

Come on M$ that is just lame...

Just today I did a reinstall after yet another underwhelming Linux try-out. Downloaded the latest W10 iso with 1903 update and there was no local account option anywhere. But the moment I turned my internet router off and pressed back button the ability to create a local account came back.

Come on M$ that is just lame...

Please post your experiences in the thread down in the Operating Systems forum, thanks. We are just trying to determine why some experience what you have and others, like myself, have yet to see that even once.

Edit: I ask this because for me, I redid all 3 of my computers from scratch at home. (Wanted to go back and get off the insiders build.) All 3 of the computers were on Pro, all three were on the internet and all 3 gave me the local account option, which I used.

I used local before the online account because I did not want my user folders redirected to my onedrive account, by default.

Please post your experiences in the thread down in the Operating Systems forum, thanks. We are just trying to determine why some experience what you have and others, like myself, have yet to see that even once.

Edit: I ask this because for me, I redid all 3 of my computers from scratch at home. (Wanted to go back and get off the insiders build.) All 3 of the computers were on Pro, all three were on the internet and all 3 gave me the local account option, which I used.

I used local before the online account because I did not want my user folders redirected to my onedrive account, by default.

Done. Did you enter the key in all installations? I did not because it should not be needed on this particular rig.

This has already been answered in this thread and others. PRO does not suffer from this problem, only home gets an extra dose of Microsoft's stupidity.

Done. Did you enter the key in all installations? I did not because it should not be needed on this particular rig.

Thanks. :) Since I already had Windows 10 activated on my 3 computers, I did not need to put in the keys either.

Sounds like we need a poll of which flavor (Home or Pro) people are noticing this issue with. I have done dozens of Pro installs this month and every single one saw an internet connection and allowed me to create an offline account without having to resort to drastic measures. I have not installed Home on a machine in a month or two. So it is sounding to me like this issue is coming up more on Home than Pro.
You can get a local account on 1903 Pro but not home.
Microsoft has changed the name of the local account option to 'Domain join instead' on Pro, which then allows allows you to create an offline account.

Last edited:
Come on people... just disconnect the network / ethernet during the install. How hard is that?
The new Dell laptop i setup last week did not have a switch for wifi/airplane mode on the keyboard, so it can be quite hard if you don't have control over the wifi.

How and when did you create the media to install?

The new Dell laptop i setup last week did not have a switch for wifi/airplane mode on the keyboard, so it can be quite hard if you don't have control over the wifi.

Surely someone would have had to pick the correct wifi SSID and then enter the password, though.

Surely someone would have had to pick the correct wifi SSID and then enter the password, though.
I did pick the correct wifi SSID and entered the password, then the Home version went into the log into Microsoft account mode and there was no getting out of the loop.
Only after moving the laptop out of range of the hotspot was i offered the choice of a Local account. Microsoft at its its finest.

I can guarantee you there is a keyboard function key FN+ something that can enable/disable wifi and/or bluetooth. On my Dell I think it's FN+PrtScr (has a little radio tower icon on it). You would also have to go out of your way to connect to a SSID and put in a password, it's not going to auto log in during setup if you don't pick one. If you did by accident, just reboot and start the install process over again.

I did pick the correct wifi SSID and entered the password

Well, yeah, as has been said, once you connect, you're kind of SOL. Did you know that was going to happen beforehand? (The time I tried it, back in August and then again a couple of weeks ago, I used Ethernet, not wifi, and in that case, you can reboot and unplug the cable.

I can guarantee you there is a keyboard function key FN+ something that can enable/disable wifi and/or bluetooth. On my Dell I think it's FN+PrtScr (has a little radio tower icon on it). You would also have to go out of your way to connect to a SSID and put in a password, it's not going to auto log in during setup if you don't pick one. If you did by accident, just reboot and start the install process over again.
I did not go out of my way to connect to the wifi, i simply chose the hotspot and logged in. Restarting the laptop and power cycling the laptop did no good as the setup automatically remembered the login and jumped to "Login w/your mickeysoft" account.

There were no radio tower or other wifi icons on the kb, Believe me I looked. I did not research turning off the wifi using "special" function key commands.

I did not go out of my way to connect to the wifi, i simply chose the hotspot and logged in. Restarting the laptop and power cycling the laptop did no good as the setup automatically remembered the login and jumped to "Login w/your mickeysoft account
There were no radio tower icons on the kb, i did not research turning off the wifi using "special" function key commands.

Hmmm I would think rebooting and restarting the install process wouldn't remember the wifi settings, but you might have to manually blow the partitions away during setup... which I do every single time anyway.

Look no one is blaming you, MS went out of their way to hide it. Just giving you workarounds for next time.

I bypass it by hitting windows key + A then selecting airplane mode before i start the install but they may have fixed that.

I've been disabling networking long before this just to avoid the obnoxious MS account bs.

I did pick the correct wifi SSID and entered the password

i simply chose the hotspot and logged in

I did not go out of my way to connect to the wifi
didn't go out of your way but you did knowingly connect.

I've been disabling networking long before this just to avoid the obnoxious MS account bs.
I do that just so it doesn't try and update for 10+ minutes. just install dammit!

You can get a local account on 1903 Pro but not home.
Microsoft has changed the name of the local account option to 'Domain join instead' on Pro, which then allows allows you to create an offline account.
This has already been answered in this thread and others. PRO does not suffer from this problem, only home gets an extra dose of Microsoft's stupidity.

No, you are not entirely correct. I remember doing multiple installs of Windows 10, many of them Home, on different computers, VM's and so on and each time, I was able to get the offline account, without issue. Therefore, it is not a simple and straight forward and hence, the thread down in the OS forums. Also, I did not have to do a domain connected computer on any of my 3 computers I just redid from scratch over the weekend, completely.

Once again, some experience it, some do not and that is why the thread in the OS forums was started, to ascertain specifics.

Restarting the laptop and power cycling the laptop did no good as the setup automatically remembered the login and jumped to "Login w/your mickeysoft" account.

Next time, you could turn off the wifi for a couple of minutes.

This has already been discussed and proven beyond all doubt, Microsoft themselves can be quoted as stating that Windows 10 Home definitely has this new 'feature':

Microsoft Updated its terms of service

Coupled with 'Autopilot':

Microsoft Updated its terms of service

You'll have to ask Lakados for the original link, not too sure you can see it unless you have a VLSC account. Perhaps he can get us a screenshot?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea if you don't want a computer.

Lol. In fairness, the more I play around with alternative OS's the closer I am to pulling the plug on Windoze.

I just installed Windows 10 (1903) a few times using a USB stick created from the 4/1/19 image and it doesn't hassle me about a local account. I am going to do a reinstall of this machine next week, so I'll make a new USB with the media creation tool and report back.

Back