Windows 10 Usage Climbing As Windows 7 Share Drops Sharply

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this data, Windows 10 market share is up at the expense of Windows 7.

The latest data from the massive United States Digital Analytics program shows that Windows 10 usage has climbed sharply, with older versions, including Windows 7 and Windows XP, dropping steeply. The only other desktop platform showing signs of growth is Chrome OS.

This may of may not be an unpopular opinion, but good. I'm glad. It's good for Microsoft to not have to support old operating systems. It's good for consumers who need tech support. Microsoft can provide much better service and support for one OS than when it has to cater to people and especially organizations who are using long obsolete or discontinued versions.

Now if they would just take a firm stance on privacy that would quell concerns of many Microsoft skeptics, they could increase their adoption rates further.

I've shifted every system that I build over to 10, including my most recent personal system. 7 was great, but it is time to move on. Think of all the people that were clutching onto XP when official support ended. Even with the shift, I'm sure we'll see the same thing in years to come.

Yeah 10 is climbing with help of Microsoft force upgrade.

I'm actually surprised at how low it is.

Ed Bott makes a living writing books about Microsoft. He gets free hardware and software from Microsoft. Not surprisingly, he wrote fluff pieces supporting Windows 8 in the face of early criticism.

Granted, one doesn't have to search very far to find ridiculously pro-Microsoft 'journalism.' Remember some of the stories we saw while 8 was circling the drain? Take this gem from Forbes: Resistance Is Futile, You Will Be Assimilated Into Windows 8 Eventually

Windows 7 is awesome. The reality is that Windows 8 is every bit as awesome as Windows 7, along with a slew of new features and capabilities that make it more powerful and more flexible for those who choose to invest the time to become familiar with them and embrace them.

The moral of the story: “This too shall pass”. A few years from now that crazy tiled Modern / Metro UI will be engrained as “normal”, and if Microsoft dares to mess with it there will be hell to pay.

How'd that work out? :D :rolleyes:

With Ed rushing to defend Windows 10 it makes me suspect that Microsoft isn't hitting their adoption targets again. Look how the 7 decline changes month-to-month: -4% going into August, but only -0.4% in September. Then there's a jump to -1.4% coinciding with Windows 10 becoming a 'recommended update,' and then back down to -0.8%. That's not 'steady growth,' especially for a 'free' upgrade.

Just to be clear, the only people who are being "forced" to upgrade are the people who reserved a copy but apparently didn't actually want one. While the language was a bit ambiguous, and there may have been some who didn't understand what it actually meant when they hit Reserve, no one is getting upgraded if they didn't at least reserve a copy at first. If people don't want Windows 10, maybe they should stop fucking reserving copies on their computers. :rolleyes:

When they stop doing crap like this and leave their tracking crap the same name and stop auto enabling it, then I'll consider installing it. Otherwise I'll keep my tinfoil hat on, and I have no need for 10.

Some of it is due to the upgrade being free and the additional "marketing" push with the pop-ups and other methods. It was effective. Many people would never have upgraded, as they really don't go out and buy an upgrade. They wait until they buy a new PC. This way, they could do an easy upgrade, free, and it was fast & easy.

Some like it (mainly those that typically don't follow tech news or would try to upgrade their OS). I hear from a lot of people, those that the upgrade went well, that it went off without a hitch and they got a free upgrade. Like upgrading their phone software.

The data comes from 3800 web sites run by the US government. It may be interesting data if you want to know about 1) data for US users 2) who visit federal government web sites. I didn't look into the methodology deeper to see if they're counting page views (worthless for these types of os share statistics) or unique visitors.

Remember how excited people were back in the day, how they stood in line for 95, 98, how XP was such a milestone? I used to build a new computer for each new OS. Now microsoft has to resort to trick hotfixes, nebulous terminology, bribes, propaganda and a multitude of other strong arm tactics to try and force people into adopting it. What a sad company they have become. Windows 7 is ms's greatest OS. 10 will not be the one to dethrone it I think.

Graph is misleading. The initial drop happened on Win10's release as expected (about 4%), but has been slowing. Latest quarter is about .7%. At that rate. It'll be about 10yrs (random number I chose, don't feel like actually doing the math) before Win10 passes Win7.

The only Windows 10 I like is the LTSB version. No apps installed no Store no junk and it works.

Windows 7 Share Drops Sharply

It appears Windows 7 lose about 1% per month consistently August through November.

At this rate, it'll be gone in only about 5 years and 4 months. Impressive showing. People must really love Windows 10.

Now even Microsoft has jumped on the constant Star Wars tie-ins... Seriously...

Well I don't have 10 and will stay with 7 ultra until they fix all there shit and stop spying.

P.S. I didn't reserve a copy of 10 like other where talking about!!

Fuck 10.
Bring back Aero, Start Menu, and stop trying to figure out which RedTube videos I like ;)

I'm sticking with 7 as my main OS.
If DX12 games become a must I'll dual boot, Vulkan OpenGL support may prevent the need.
Windows 10 cant be trusted.

yep stuff like this always brings out the conspiracy nut jobs and there tin foil hats.

Wasn't Vista supposed to be a big deal so you could usher in Dx 11?
That went well.

The only reason I can see to adopt W 10 would be if it was mandatory for a new graphics technology.
I think it will be a while for Dx 12 to be universal.

I do not see this rapid growth of W 10.....just now 12 % after 5 months? That and very little change in the last 2 months.

I'm okay with W10 gaining market share. It's totally reasonable for people to get whatever new OS is out there but I'm not interested because there's nothing I do on a computer that demands I have any OS in specific. With freedom like that, I just use Linux for everything except workies VPN junk that only works on Vista or 7. So yeah, go for it and use whatever. I like no telemetry junk and an OS that only needs like 200MB of RAM on boot up so Mint it is. :)

This may of may not be an unpopular opinion, but good. I'm glad. It's good for Microsoft to not have to support old operating systems. It's good for consumers who need tech support. Microsoft can provide much better service and support for one OS than when it has to cater to people and especially organizations who are using long obsolete or discontinued versions.

WTF does this even mean? Good for MS to "not support old operating systems?" They sell their operating systems with the promise of a guaranteed "supported until" date. That's part of the deal. They said Windows 7 for example will have extended support until 2020. If you bought a car with a 10 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, and 5 years in, your dealer starts harassing you to buy the 2015 model because "They shouldn't have to support your old car". Would that make ANY sense?

Microsoft promised to support Windows 7 or 8 until specific dates as part of the deal, and that's what they're required to do. There's nothing "old" about Windows 7, it works perfectly fine. There's also nothing particularly compelling in 10 for desktop users that don't care about DX12.

Now if they would just take a firm stance on privacy that would quell concerns of many Microsoft skeptics, they could increase their adoption rates further.

This is definitely shooting themselves in the foot, just like their stubbornness on not bringing a start menu back to Windows 8 killed them there. The longer they keep their heels dug in with not providing a real, 100% telemetry OFF switch in non-Enterprise SKU's, the more the PR headache will continue to fester. It will not go away.

With Ed rushing to defend Windows 10 it makes me suspect that Microsoft isn't hitting their adoption targets again. Look how the 7 decline changes month-to-month: -4% going into August, but only -0.4% in September. Then there's a jump to -1.4% coinciding with Windows 10 becoming a 'recommended update,' and then back down to -0.8%. That's not 'steady growth,' especially for a 'free' upgrade.

True that Ed Bott is ZDNET's resident MS shill, he's a Microsoft MVP (partner) and thus has a personal financial interest in creating MS-positive narratives, up to and including cherrypicking data that supports the narrative.

That said, I don't dispute the validity of the data, but no matter which stats you look at (Netmarketshare, Steam, whatever) there is a truth that is giving MS execs heartburn: the rate of Windows 10 adoption has continued to slow month to month since launch. In a few days we'll see the new numbers for November, and it'll be a minor miracle if rate of adoption isn't less than October.

The takeaway here is if 10 is barely stealing Windows 7 users at the rate of 1.x% per month, its going to be a long time before Windows 10 overtakes it -- 5+ years.

WTF does this even mean? Good for MS to "not support old operating systems?" They sell their operating systems with the promise of a guaranteed "supported until" date. That's part of the deal. They said Windows 7 for example will have extended support until 2020. If you bought a car with a 10 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, and 5 years in, your dealer starts harassing you to buy the 2015 model because "They shouldn't have to support your old car". Would that make ANY sense?

Why would Microsoft want to divide their resources supporting old operating systems? The sooner they are able to shift more people onto 10, the sooner they can assign more people and resources to improving and securing it.

I don't know if I'm the only one who has this notion, but I'll never say 'we'll just stay on 7 and we'll be fine'.
I inherited several computers at work, all on Win 2000. I haven't used it in a while, but I have, mind you.
Now, when I got there, most of the 2000 machines were constantly bluescreening. On different hardware. I was surprised because I had remembered that OS as an example of rock solid.
So my solution was - I upgraded them to XP (had volume licenses) and they all worked flawlessly.
Then, close to the EOL date, the bluescreens started. Then there was the Windows Update bug that would steal 100% CPU time of one core of a CPU. For my single core machines (Still sporting P4s) this was a total meltdown, I was running all over the place trying to pinpoint the KB or at least get WU to work normally again.
Now, I got there in 2009 and right off the bat began retiring individual machines and replacing them with Windows 7 capable units.
It was pure bliss. Until that KB last year (or was it this year?) that caused my comps to bluescreen once per day during network-heavy operations. I remember working around that by disabling some NIC features and/or yanking the newest KBs. Then another. And then another. And then that win10 nagging icon that caused some confusion among my users. Explaining the issue - MS stole my time.
No issues whatsoever on Windows 2003 server though. Still gets updates, still rock solid. But I keep stopping to think: maybe I should just stop WU and apply more aggresive security settings.
What I'm getting at is - the company is IMHO openly hostile at this point. When they named their service pack 'Threshold 2' I thought: wow, hats off to the marketing dept., yes indeed, that is the threshold beyond which my interest in Win10 adoption is now zero. I was already done with MS when I got a slap in the face in the form of a 'start' button that took you to the fucking tiles anyway.
So, I think it's only a matter of time when they start pushing malicious code to Win 7 and Win 8 clients as 2020 nears. It just seems logical to me.

Why would Microsoft want to divide their resources supporting old operating systems? The sooner they are able to shift more people onto 10, the sooner they can assign more people and resources to improving and securing it.

Why should they? Cause they said they would... That is DPIs point. Microsoft is a business, they sold a product one with a support time frame as an expected feature. They should be expected to follow through..

While you are completely correct, MS could devote more resources if they didn't have to support "old" OSes. The fact is they said they would, is why they should.

I could spend more of my income on products if I didn't have to pay my bills or mortgage... things I said I would pay. This is no different.

I am not saying Win10 is bad, heck I have done 7 upgrades on 6 year old laptops to older atom processor mini-computers none have had any issues.

I like the store... I downloaded VLC to play videos easy as yell to do and it worked great. Start Menu a good compromise to Win7 vs 8 etc.

So, I think it's only a matter of time when they start pushing malicious code to Win 7 and Win 8 clients as 2020 nears. It just seems logical to me.

Not sure where the logic is in this considering the tens of millions of XP machines that seem to still be running ok nearly two years after Microsoft stopped supporting it.

Ed Bott makes a living shoving Microsoft up everyone's ass. I wouldn't trust him if he said the world was round. You want biased articles set ZDNet as you home page.

Ed Bott makes a living shoving Microsoft up everyone's ass. I wouldn't trust him if he said the world was round. You want biased articles set ZDNet as you home page.

I guess that's how it works these days. Facts be damned.

Not sure where the logic is in this considering the tens of millions of XP machines that seem to still be running ok nearly two years after Microsoft stopped supporting it.

I know. I'm using it as much as 7. I've hinted the issue existed for a good while with Microsoft denying its existence (the WU bug) and then finally fixed it right before EOL..
You missed the part about the broken Win7 KBs.

Not to offend you or anything, I know you know Windows well, but I feel you might have a dog in this fight and I rarely read your posts.
I'm sorry but it's like I was literally sure you'll appear here, and I don't really care for arguing with you because I know the outcome. No offense sir!
Also note, I'm just askin' .... I might be wrong.

I know. I'm using it as much as 7. I've hinted the issue existed for a good while with Microsoft denying its existence (the WU bug) and then finally fixed it right before EOL..
You missed the part about the broken Win7 KBs.

Not to offend you or anything, I know you know Windows well, but I feel you might have a dog in this fight and I rarely read your posts.
I'm sorry but it's like I was literally sure you'll appear here, and I don't really care for arguing with you because I know the outcome. No offense sir!
Also note, I'm just askin' .... I might be wrong.

People have been making the accusation that Microsoft intentionally breaks prior versions of Windows to force people to upgrade. I just pointed out the large number of people still running XP years after support was dropped which contradicts this theory. No doubt there will be tens of millions of Windows 7 machines at least running years after 2020.

Windows 10 isn't going to be adopted in my house until I can fully turn off the data collection programs. If I could easily find copies of Windows 10 LTSB I would maybe reconsider. Long live Windows 7!

Why should they? Cause they said they would... That is DPIs point. Microsoft is a business, they sold a product one with a support time frame as an expected feature. They should be expected to follow through..

While you are completely correct, MS could devote more resources if they didn't have to support "old" OSes. The fact is they said they would, is why they should.

Yes and they are, nothing threatens that.

Instead of giving it away for free I think Microsoft should've charged $500 for it; then people would've probably loved it.

People have been making the accusation that Microsoft intentionally breaks prior versions of Windows to force people to upgrade. I just pointed out the large number of people still running XP years after support was dropped which contradicts this theory. No doubt there will be tens of millions of Windows 7 machines at least running years after 2020.

I am one of those people because I've experienced this first hand on 3 different Windows editions. So let's agree it might have been a coincidence. A coincidence which hit enough people to form a group you yourself referred to.
To leave the bugs permanently would eventually draw attention of people with reverse-engineering and debugging skills, thus me saying the issues were eventually fixed. But they popped up at critical moments in time and every time it was denied by MS despite them having the full image thanks to the built in error reporting, and forums full of threads supporting the opposite view.
I was impressed by the amount of work you did in 'Best Linux distro.. "best"..' and I don't intend on playing straw-man along to page 101.
Nevertheless I think you do a good job on advising people about Windows and Microsoft's hardware.

Back