Windows 10: Upgrade Now or Upgrade Tonight

HardOCP News

[H] News
We've said it a million times, nagging people to upgrade to Windows 10 is just going to piss people off. Nagging people with options like these just makes things worse.

On Sunday, Microsoft's over-the-top pushiness (or is it hubris?) led the company to introduce a new Upgrade to Windows 10 dialog, shown in the screenshot. Windows 7 and 8.1 users who click on the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray are now presented with two options: Upgrade now or Upgrade tonight. As you can see, there's no option to defer the upgrade, and no obvious way (short of the "X" in the upper-right corner) to dismiss the ad.

"Resistance is futile. From this time forward, you will service, us".

10 has made me re-consider linux as desktop, with boot into 10 for games as-needed (rarely).

as long as you don't install KB3035583 everything is fine...no nag screens...at least MS is keeping the same 3035583 number even when they update the app

send me an upgrade disc and I'd upgrade... honestly dont want to waste my bandwidth on it.

This is why I disable Windows Updates. I mainly game and watch movies and I never seem to have issues from not having them. Win 8.1 and no annoying crap here.

I have an 8.1 machine but I need to back up data first. Sadly my life doesn't work around Microsoft's nonsense schedule. If it auto updates and destroys my install/data Microsoft can go fuck themselves. Would love to see some legal action taken against MS, but doubt there can be. We likely agreed to this all in their 100+ page legal speak EULA we got with our Windows installs.

This is really fucked up for those with TechNet serial numbers.

Because when it installs to Windows 10, your "10 Activations" retail key, just became locked to that computer.

This is not good!

The constant reminders are VERY annoying. I'd consider the upgrade if Microsoft had not killed Media Center in Windows 10. So it appears I am sticking with 8.1 forever or at least until I find a solution that allows me to watch encrypted cable channels through my HTPC other than MC.

GWX Control Panel is a free program that you can use to do the following on Windows 7 and Windows 8:
  • Remove the "Get Windows 10" icon that appears in your notification area.
  • Prevent your Windows Update control panel from upgrading your computer to Windows 10.
  • Prevent your computer from secretly downloading Windows 10 installation files.
  • Detect and remove the hidden Windows 10 installation files if they're already on your PC.
  • Optionally monitor your computer for unwanted Windows 10-related settings and files. (New in version 1.6.)
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
Stand-alone version available.

lol, so glad I cleaned up/ignored those worthless updates months ago.

I really can't see what the heck they are thinking with this. I went to do a clean install on a new PC. It ended up taking hours, of working through some pretty obscure bios options some consumers wouldn't have access to, before I could get the installation to stop hanging after the first reboot. Apparently even minor driver issues can be a showstopper during installation and upgrades.

I have Win 10 up and running now and it's almost tweaked exactly how I like it now. It seems to perform very well on my hardware and I like it so far. But with all that said, IT"S NOT READY FOR FORCED ROLLOUTS! There's countless threads all over about upgrades and fresh installations that just hang after reboot with no error messages or diagnostic information.

Hey Microsoft, I installed W10 off my favorite Linux ISO distributor's site, do I get a cookie for doing what it is you want us to do?*

...albeit in a roundabout decrapified, de-spywared, no-ads kind of way.

Upgrade already. What the hell are you weenies afraid of?
Let's spend thousands on bleeding-edge hardware, but I want to run fucking DOS 5.0.

Closet MSFT shareholder to tell us why this is "actually really good for end users" in 3....2....

Let's spend thousands on bleeding-edge hardware, but I want to run fucking DOS 5.0.

Right because there's no middle ground between Spyware 10 and "Fucking DOS 5.0"

So edgy..

Because W7 is precisely equivalent to DOS5.0

Were you even around on Earth to use DOS5.0? I actually still have DOS2.0 as a requirement for some hardware at work, and ETC lighting dimmer module system from the 80s.

as long as you don't install KB3035583 everything is fine...no nag screens...at least MS is keeping the same 3035583 number even when they update the app

Yeah, and I got offered that stinkin' thing again tonight! Don't know how many times I've hidden it already. Really MS, I intend to use W7 until 2020 just as I bargained for when I paid to lease it from you back when. Enough is enough. Also don't plan to get rid of my paid-for car just because there are new models around. Free car, maybe--free OS, not at all.

We've said it a million times, nagging people to upgrade to Windows 10 is just going to piss people off. Nagging people with options like these just makes things worse.

On Sunday, Microsoft's over-the-top pushiness (or is it hubris?) led the company to introduce a new Upgrade to Windows 10 dialog, shown in the screenshot. Windows 7 and 8.1 users who click on the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray are now presented with two options: Upgrade now or Upgrade tonight. As you can see, there's no option to defer the upgrade, and no obvious way (short of the "X" in the upper-right corner) to dismiss the ad.

So Far, Win 7 is incompatible with a direct up-grade to GWX, so if you Turn off MS Updates, and filter up-grades, to make sure none that might make your system compatible with GWX, is pretty good insurance of keeping your present Windows OS?

At least until King MicroShit fixes it so that no Windows OS, older than X, will boot up anymore?

Then, it will be time to switch to Unix/Linix, or what ever alternate OS you may be sitting on, just to thwart, King MS?

lol, precisely what we are trying to avoid.
Being forced to step backwards to a crap looking OS that seeps your data into a black hole, great idea.
Real forward thinking.

You either dont know what you are talking about or are trying to pick a fight.
Either way, thanks for giving me the opportunity to point out what are now your problems, not mine :p

Here's a useful option, probably soon to be targeted by the dark side.

1. Open gpedit.msc

2. Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update.

3. Find "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update".

lol, precisely what we are trying to avoid.
Being forced to step backwards to a crap looking OS that seeps your data into a black hole, great idea.
Real forward thinking.

You either dont know what you are talking about or are trying to pick a fight.
Either way, thanks for giving me the opportunity to point out what are now your problems, not mine :p

You geniuses know that Google has 100x more info on you than Microsoft ever will, right? That sure doesn't stop you from using it as your search engine of choice.

I would say that you folks afraid to upgrade because of the big "data stealing monster" don't know what you are talking about.

Real forward thinking.

You geniuses know that Google has 100x more info on you than Microsoft ever will, right? That sure doesn't stop you from using it as your search engine of choice.

I would say that you folks afraid to upgrade because of the big "data stealing monster" don't know what you are talking about.

Real forward thinking.

Best you leave this to the geniuses, that has nothing to do with my computers OS.
Reading is fundamental btw.
Fundamental lack of thinking. Forward thinking doesnt get a chance to apply in your case :p

Real forward thinking.

Pretty lacklustre brainwork here. You see the problem is I don't have to use Google. I can close Google.com or Chrome and continue to work/play in my desktop OS. I can't close Windows 10 and continue to work/play in my desktop OS. Minor distinction.

Nobody rational believes MS is stealing SSN's and CC info. That shit's a red herring anyway. The crux of it is a $200 RETAIL PAID OS with no working OFF switch on the data collection. The "free upgrade" isn't free - it requires an existing investment, again, in a RETAIL PAID OS.

Pretty lacklustre brainwork here. You see the problem is I don't have to use Google. I can close Google.com or Chrome and continue to work/play in my desktop OS. I can't close Windows 10 and continue to work/play in my desktop OS. Minor distinction.

Nobody rational believes MS is stealing SSN's and CC info. That shit's a red herring anyway. The crux of it is a $200 RETAIL PAID OS with no working OFF switch on the data collection. The "free upgrade" isn't free - it requires an existing investment, again, in a RETAIL PAID OS.

And on top of the spyware and datamining...you get ads forced on you if you use the legit Windows..

*shrug* I don't even remember the last time I saw the nag screen on my desktop. Not like it is hard to disable if you know how to use google.

Real forward thinking.

Uh....not quite. Come over to the business side of the world -- like doctor's offices.

With Google, etc, we can choose not to use it -- and we specifically block users from installing Chrome.

With Windows 10, it's baked into the OS and the actual wording of the EULA and the data collection in even Windows 10 Pro is directly in conflict with HIPAA. For larger organizations that have Volume License Agreements with Microsoft, you can use Windows 10 Enterprise, which specifically DOES allow you to turn off all background data collection, but has to be purchased as an ADDITIONAL license on top of the license that came with the computer, requires a minimum buy in of quantity 5, and isn't cheap. For small to medium sized practices, this has previously not been necessary and 99% of them just purchase PC's with Windows 7/8.1 Pro on them. With Windows 10, Microsoft is effectively forcing medical practices to move to the Enterprise version of Windows, and basically adding at least $200 extra licensing cost to every PC we install.

On PC's connected with Active Directory, GWX doesn't activate -- thankfully -- but not all medical PC's are on Domain's, but are still running Windows 7 Pro. We are having to go around and block GWX by hand on every standalone PC in all the organizations we support -- and Microsoft keeps pulling shenanigans and re-enabling OS upgrades, etc with new updates. We've finally just written a script that we are scheduling to run once per hour that continuously bashes the registry to disable GWX, disable OS Upgrades, and kill GWX if it's running. Then we have another script that runs nightly that uninstalls all the telemetry updates they've been pushing and autohides them in update.

Because W7 is precisely equivalent to DOS5.0

Were you even around on Earth to use DOS5.0? I actually still have DOS2.0 as a requirement for some hardware at work, and ETC lighting dimmer module system from the 80s.

That old stuff really took a beating huh? :D

Heck, we used to use an old ass load-cell system that ran DOS something or other on a 386. All the wires from each motor, connected to these custom ISA expansion cards, took a half an hour plugging around in DOS, to get that thing up and running once per year.

With Windows 10, it's baked into the OS and the actual wording of the EULA and the data collection in even Windows 10 Pro is directly in conflict with HIPAA.
This is very silver bullety, and a popular "gotcha", but it's already been discussed here, and the internet, and the general idea is that the responsibility for compliance falls on the people using the system, NOT the system itself. No previous Windows, nor any previous Linux or OS X or anything that could get on the internet and is "for consumers" could possibly comply with HIPAA when the user can freely open an app and email arbitrary files anywhere.

One of the general myths about Windows 10 is that Cortana is this omnipresent God entity that is always there and always scraping personal information. If you do the very basic thing of "not use a Microsoft Account," Cortana isn't enabled, and cannot BE enabled.

Again for emphasis: You cannot enable Cortana at all without a Microsoft Account.

Even if you DO use an MS account, you have to explicitly enable Cortana to use her.

---

Like most people I'm quite annoyed with the frantic push by MS to get everyone on Win10 by tomorrow. If they hadn't botched the privacy perception so badly they could have just sit back and let the OS sell itself. Now they have to try to force everyone to upgrade basically against their will. I use Win10 at home and work and I have no issues with it, it's good and works for me. I can understand why people would hesitate. MS isn't winning these people over with their tactics.

On PC's connected with Active Directory, GWX doesn't activate -- thankfully -- but not all medical PC's are on Domain's, but are still running Windows 7 Pro. We are having to go around and block GWX by hand on every standalone PC in all the organizations we support -- and Microsoft keeps pulling shenanigans and re-enabling OS upgrades, etc with new updates. We've finally just written a script that we are scheduling to run once per hour that continuously bashes the registry to disable GWX, disable OS Upgrades, and kill GWX if it's running. Then we have another script that runs nightly that uninstalls all the telemetry updates they've been pushing and autohides them in update.

What specific language in HIPPA are you referring to? If you're referring to things in Microsoft Services EULA as being in conflict, that's not Windows 10. None of the services in the Services EULA have to be used by Windows 10. When all data sharing options are turned off in non-enterprise versions of Windows 10 and only the basic telemetry is on, no local data is shared with Microsoft according to Microsoft. Sharing of data to ensure that the machine is updated, not running malware, etc. is not in violation of anything in HIPPA that I know of. In fact it's actually kind of a requirement to help insure devices are running properly isn't? Malware defenses, patching and so on?

That old stuff really took a beating huh? :D

Heck, we used to use an old ass load-cell system that ran DOS something or other on a 386. All the wires from each motor, connected to these custom ISA expansion cards, took a half an hour plugging around in DOS, to get that thing up and running once per year.

Believe me...I myself only realized that a dimmer lighting system THAT old was still driving that facility 5 years ago....it was noticed because my boss found the dimmers were overheating, so he took all the PCBs out of their enclosure and air-compressered them SOP. Well the CMOS battery on the brain board had drained a few decades ago, so the programming wiped as soon as the brain board was unplugged.n Of course the system had a proprietary backup memory module for such circumstances, which the institution didn't choose to buy 35-40 years ago, as that would have cost money.

We pulled out the manual binder...found the original 5.25" floppy....read Page 1-1 of the manual which started "REQUIRED: IBM Compatible-PC with at least DOS 2.0 or higher, 1 Parallel Port". And had an aw shit realization when we had to find a system which could meet those requirements and had a floppy drive....in 24 hours as the space was being rented out. Institutional IT shit a brick when they got my site boss's phone call.

One of the general myths about Windows 10 is that Cortana is this omnipresent God entity that is always there and always scraping personal information. If you do the very basic thing of "not use a Microsoft Account," Cortana isn't enabled, and cannot BE enabled.

Again for emphasis: You cannot enable Cortana at all without a Microsoft Account.

Even if you DO use an MS account, you have to explicitly enable Cortana to use her.

I believe that Cortana can now be used without a Microsoft account. However it only shares data when certain features are turned on, the notebook, voice control, contact and calendar sharing and so forth. Obviously some of these things don't work without a Microsoft account.

Also, Cortana is a general purpose search and control system though a lot of the more interesting things that it does require web services and data sharing.

---
Like most people I'm quite annoyed with the frantic push by MS to get everyone on Win10 by tomorrow. If they hadn't botched the privacy perception so badly they could have just sit back and let the OS sell itself. Now they have to try to force everyone to upgrade basically against their will. I use Win10 at home and work and I have no issues with it, it's good and works for me. I can understand why people would hesitate. MS isn't winning these people over with their tactics.

I don't think the privacy thing is as botched as some make it out to be. Even when the facts are presented, some are just going to make up stuff and there's nothing that would stop a lot of it. The very fact that services are data sharing are in Windows 10 at all is the problem, regardless of the ability to control it.

While I certainly get why some people are annoyed by the pop ups, I guarantee that there are plenty of people that won't to upgrade and still have no idea how to. And if they don't get the upgrade while it's free there's another PR debacle to deal with.

But Windows 10 is not standing still. The first Redstone branch just came out yesterday. Microsoft has done a TON of updating to it's first party apps particularly recently. And there's been a number of 3rd parties that have released universal apps this week. Overall I've been really pleased with it. It runs well on all my devices, bugs have been getting ironed out, more little details have received attention like the new Surface that's added more control over the actions of the buttons, etc.

I guess we'll see going into 2016 just how big of deal the privacy and aggressive updating become. The usual crowed is never going to like it and it makes for posts that generate clicks. But the free upgrade period is supposed to end though that may change. If it does end it will be interesting to see how the upgrade process works after that.

Uh....not quite. Come over to the business side of the world -- like doctor's offices.

With Google, etc, we can choose not to use it -- and we specifically block users from installing Chrome.

With Windows 10, it's baked into the OS and the actual wording of the EULA and the data collection in even Windows 10 Pro is directly in conflict with HIPAA. For larger organizations that have Volume License Agreements with Microsoft, you can use Windows 10 Enterprise, which specifically DOES allow you to turn off all background data collection, but has to be purchased as an ADDITIONAL license on top of the license that came with the computer, requires a minimum buy in of quantity 5, and isn't cheap. For small to medium sized practices, this has previously not been necessary and 99% of them just purchase PC's with Windows 7/8.1 Pro on them. With Windows 10, Microsoft is effectively forcing medical practices to move to the Enterprise version of Windows, and basically adding at least $200 extra licensing cost to every PC we install.

Nice. I think I'll build an AppSense config to do something similar. Once it's built, I'll roll it out to all our machines.

Why wouldn't they force you to upgrade if you weren't going to do it on your own ;) They figured they have nothing to lose if you weren't going to upgrade anyways.

expect a large number of new windows 10 users soon because of this trick.

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who's never got this?

I'm on windows 7 and never once have I seen anything about windows 10 in my updates nor icon bar.

Back