Windows 10 Upgrade Nags Become More Aggressive

HardOCP News

[H] News
You should upgrade to Windows 10. Seriously, you really need to upgrade to Windows 10. QUIT IGNORING ME!! YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10...NOW!!!

Reports are circulating that some users are being presented with dialog boxes that only give them the option to start the upgrade process or reschedule it for a later date. Others are finding that the Windows Update screen is only offering them the option to begin the upgrade process, with other system updates being hidden from view.

No joke. I had to uninstall/hide KB3035583 three times, even when I do not have auto updates enabled (notify only) on windows 7 ultimate.

I can't even do a windows update any more. All it will do is present the $#*@#%!#!@$ Windows 10 upgrade dialog.

I noticed the update thing also but if you select show availible updates then ok it will install them.
Does anyone know if the Cisco VPN issue has been resolved? Does windows 10 work well with nvsurround with proper task bar placement?

Its only a matter of time before the EU or someone else take Microsoft to court over this.

I pulled the trigger on a gaming laptop that doesn't have anything important on it just to familiarize myself with it. I think I ticked "off" or "no" 30 times turning off the spyware and tracking crap. Then I notice one drive running and uploading crap through the Comodo firewall screen. Had to find that and turn it off, no uninstall that I could see. As far as I can tell Cortana never got activated. It didn't ask me about it and it says it's "off".

Blah PITA, but compared to all the crap you had to do to get Vista usable.....

This is no joke. I've heard from one family member and one friend both of whose PC's I "support" - a Win7 and Win8.1 PC, asking me why the Windows 10 update box keeps popping up even after I'd shown them how to uninstall and block it. I really don't want to disable windows update altogether but MS is just too obnoxious cooking up new KB's to hit people over the head to update. If it were any other company doing it, there would be far more outrage as it's basically behaving like typical ransomware. There's isn't a "No, and don't ask me again" button, it's only a single "Yes, upgrade now" button. :rolleyes:

With Windows 10 adoption having slowed down it's not surprising MS is getting more desperate. If it keeps sputtering along stealing less than 1% marketshare per month from Win7/Win8, I wouldn't be surprised if MS stealth-changes the EULA for 7 and 8, and just starts auto-installing 10. Call it tinfoil hat now, but the way MS is behaving now with the update nag was laughed off as tinfoil hattery earlier this year.

The number of people upgrading must have slowed down and Microsoft must be getting desperate to keep the Windows 10 numbers up.

I wonder how many people are going to end up disabling automatic updates in Windows 7 to avoid this #%&#@

Just click re-schedule, that becomes the next time it asks to do the update. Not very difficult. And click Show Available updates to see the windows 7 patches instead of the windows 10 upgrade screen.

Just install it, it boots faster than windows 7, has directx 12, and basically combines the best of windows 7 and windows 8 into one. You get the start menu back, but the first screen gives you some tiles, which are configurable, deletable, etc. can add the common things you use right there.

I think it's the best os they've ever made.

Found a awesome script that scrubs Windows 7, 8, & 10 of all the crap telemetry spyware crap updates, hides them, and I believe it kills the upgrade nag as well. It's being updated as Microsoft continues to add/change things. Can be run or rerun at any time without adverse effects. Check it out here...

https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/459263

Yeah, Linux Mint hasn't nagged me at all about installing Windows 10 no matter how much desperation Microsoft has over stagnant adoption rates. It must look pretty bad to shareholders that they're having so much trouble giving away their new spyware...errrrr OS for free. :D

Yeah, Linux Mint hasn't nagged me at all about installing Windows 10 no matter how much desperation Microsoft has over stagnant adoption rates. It must look pretty bad to shareholders that they're having so much trouble giving away their new spyware...errrrr OS for free. :D

I swear, the only thing holding me back from Linux is I'm a gamer (Battlefield 4, Path of Exile, Starcraft 2, etc). How is gaming in Linux these days?

Just click re-schedule, that becomes the next time it asks to do the update. Not very difficult. And click Show Available updates to see the windows 7 patches instead of the windows 10 upgrade screen.

Just install it, it boots faster than windows 7, has directx 12, and basically combines the best of windows 7 and windows 8 into one. You get the start menu back, but the first screen gives you some tiles, which are configurable, deletable, etc. can add the common things you use right there.

I think it's the best os they've ever made.

DX12 is worthless until there are actually DX12 games.

10's Privacy settings are worthless until OFF actually means OFF, not "sort of" Off while it keeps data mining in the background. Until MS pull their heads out, no it's not the best OS they've ever made - not by a longshot.

I swear, the only thing holding me back from Linux is I'm a gamer (Battlefield 4, Path of Exile, Starcraft 2, etc). How is gaming in Linux these days?

I'm not a huge gamer so I'm probably not the best person to offer an opinion. Take this with some grains of salt. Gaming is coming along, but I personally don't think it's quite there yet. Yes, there's lots of stuff on Steam that will run under Linux and do so without any problems or even really significant performance differences from a Windows version, but you are losing about 2/3rds (if not a little more) of the Steam library and lots of what you lose are AAA titles. Most really big releases are still very much Windows-only and though you can use things like WINE (with PlayOnLinux which is almost mandatory to make configuration of WINE easier) it's still a pain to configure properly (even with PlayOnLinux), it's a mixed bag of good and quirky experiences and the extra layer of WINE junk between the game and the hardware running it does imply a perfomance hit that can make a computer choke trying to run something it'd do fine running in Windows natively.

If you can live with those limitations, it's not a bad experience otherwise. I'd suggest trying it on a spare computer that doesn't do anything important or trying a flavor of it out by booting from a thumb drive first if you haven't already. The other gotcha for me was Office. LibreOffice is pretty good, but it's not 100% accurate at converting to and from MS Office so little differences show up in files between the two of them which can get a little annoying. It's really close to doing it perfectly right and lots better than it has been even a year or two ago, but there are still some minor things wrong.

For me, I'd stopped mostly at Windows 7 with only dabbling in 8 and 10 tech previews/insider builds so to switch to 10 I was going to have to learn a new UI and some of the few games I do like were very broken in 10. Since I'd been kinda dabbling with Linux (mostly Mint, but some Slackware, Ubuntu, and Knoppix too) I thought it was a good time to transition. Losing my games didn't matter since I'd lose them going to 10 and I already knew (kinda) the UI and how to configure junk like my printer and scanner. The privacy stuff in 10 seemed too invasive so that was pretty much it and it's been okay so far.

I just clicked upgrade, was less effort lol

I can't do that on this PC. This one actually runs Media Center (with Cable Card Tuner) and is heavily used as a DVR and a TV/PC for the kitchen. Win10=no media center=not on this machine.

No joke. I had to uninstall/hide KB3035583 three times, even when I do not have auto updates enabled (notify only) on windows 7 ultimate.

Even worse on Win 8. Even with auto updates off it forces auto updates at the most inconvenient times. I crashed my laptop two times in a row because I thought there was a hardware/boot issue after it sitting for 3 minutes each time. Had to wait 5-6 minutes for it to hit the initialization screen. One of these days I'll corrupt my 8.1 install because I had no idea Microsoft decided to auto update my PC.

Ironically, this makes me less likely to update frequently or move to 10.

It's getting even worse for some folks:

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ng-automatically-on-some-windows-7-8-systems/

This system has already generated some complaints, as Windows Update will download the sizeable operating system installer even if you don't intend to upgrade any time soon, but, over the last couple of days, the situation seems to have become a little more aggressive. We've received a number of reports that people's systems are not merely downloading the installer but actually starting it up.

Forced updates "by mistake" according to Microsoft. Sure.

I would just upgrade be done with it. I held out for a bit as well until I was sure that all of my photography software would not run into potential issues with the new OS. Once that was cleared, I did the upgrade. It has been a flawless experience on my end so far as I have not ran into any major issues. I game as well & have seen no issues as of yet. I also know that if something goes wrong with a game I play, it's usually a game related or GPU driver issue. Not the OS.

I followed a few articles on which updates to remove and which registry keys to change or delete and it's been a week now and no windows 10 upgrade nonsense. Even with patch Tuesday I didn't get anything upgrade related.

I've got a VM with Windows 8.1 on it. I'll see if it forces 10 on me in the next month. The symptoms many are describing remind me of when I accidentally clicked in stall on my old build. Took a while to figure out how to stop that (I think I may have used system restore, but I'm not sure anymore).

Is this an optional update? I have Win 7 running on one of my "drives" and I've not seen it. I've done the regular important or critical updates, but no optional updates.

I can't do that on this PC. This one actually runs Media Center (with Cable Card Tuner) and is heavily used as a DVR and a TV/PC for the kitchen. Win10=no media center=not on this machine.

+1

Microsoft removing functionality is a real problem, and is why my media center PC will never be upgraded to anything past Windows 7. I not only have a 4 channel cable card tuner, but an Xbox 360 connected to it as an extender so I can watch live TV, recorded shows and movies on a 2nd TV.

Ever since I did the regedit fix I haven't been bothered by anything.

I see a nice class action lawsuit coming over this.

Well after seeing how some of my games flatout refused to run on 8.1, I have no intention of touching my Win 7 until I either get a spare SSD so I can try Win 10 without destroying my original OS, or if DX12 becomes compulsary.

Luckily, MS has not yet forced my Win 7 Captain Picard edition to upgrade yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

Yup, my laptop only has the upgrade or reschedule options.

Seems like MS really wants me to go back to running linux on the system.

This latest patch Tues some win10 KB's that were hidden were presented again.

Found a awesome script that scrubs Windows 7, 8, & 10 of all the crap telemetry spyware crap updates, hides them, and I believe it kills the upgrade nag as well. It's being updated as Microsoft continues to add/change things. Can be run or rerun at any time without adverse effects. Check it out here...

https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/459263
Thans for this.
So far just removing KB3035583 has worked for me, but at this rate who knows for how long. I run W10 on my main rig, but I've got an old one that needs to stay on W7.

I seem to recall Microsoft apologists saying this would never happen and we we're a bunch of conspiracy theorists. :rolleyes:

This has been there for months. It's in the 10240 RTM build and can be turned off via Settings->Personalization->Start->Occasionally show suggestions in Start. In the build that's in the linked it can also be turned off via right clicking on the suggestion.

Microsoft is being Sneaky but it is easy to disable the update. It is hidden as part of the optional updates list. If when you first start Windows Update, all you see is this:

Go ahead and click on "Show all available updates"

Uncheck the "Upgrade to Windows 10" box

Then select the updates you want to install

Remember YMMV HTH

Microsoft is being Sneaky but it is easy to disable the update. It is hidden as part of the optional updates list. If when you first start Windows Update, all you see is this:

Go ahead and click on "Show all available updates"

Uncheck the "Upgrade to Windows 10" box

Then select the updates you want to install

Remember YMMV HTH

Every time I go back in there Windows 10 is magically checked again.

Fuck you, Microsoft.

Back