Windows 10 Update/Sleep Issue

Violator

Gawd
Can't find anything specific about this. Basically I've just built a new rig and put Windows 10 on. I have sleep settings to 45 mins. But, whenever Windows decides to do an update in the middle of the night, it wakes the pc, does the update, and then sets 'go to sleep' to never.

Every time I reset it to 45 mins and it sticks until another update gets applied.

I've not seen the sleep times change on an update. Try disabling the wake timers: http://superuser.com/questions/973009/conclusively-stop-wake-timers-from-waking-windows-10-desktop

Thanks for that :) just applied those, interestingly, since I posted this, it had changed my sleep times from 45 mins to 30 now as well.

Let's see what it does now. If it's still doing it after few days, I'm going back to 8.1. 10 seems nice, the interface is nice, but it's far too heavy-handed and still feels unfinished in many ways.

Gone back to a clean install of 8.1. Maybe try 10 again in a few months, or if DX12 suddenly becomes necessary.

For some reason my PC has been waking up in the middle of the night and not turning itself back off. It installed some massive upgrade and even took me through a welcome process as if I had just upgraded from a previous edition of Windows. Win10 seems to really have a mind of its own. Not cool.

I have a slightly different but equally annoying Windows 10 sleep bug:

Every once in a while... of undetermined random time value, of course, my installed-from-scratch Windows 10 PC will go to sleep roughly after 5 minutes of inactivity. It doesn't do it most of the time... but it happened again a couple of days ago.

Earlier today (through this venue, no less - thanx [[-]]ardforum) I found out my Windows 10 copy hasn't been updating itself properly, so that sleep issue I mentioned could well be fixed via an update. We'll see.

At the same time, whenever I want to smack talk Windows 10, I think about them reaching 200 million installs, and the relatively amazing (by Windows historical standards) upgrade process they were able to pull off on the ridiculous variety of hardware configurations out there. Consumers diddling with drivers seems unnecessary from a generational upgrade perspective and that's a huge improvement over every previous version.

Very strange.....dont think i have ever seen my pc come out of sleep by itself for any reason. Course i also have wake timers disabled

You don't think this has anything to do with the fact it's 'free' perchance? :)

Of course it does, and it also has something to do with the Windows 10 update nag screen. You're not going to get this number of people to upgrade PCs that have never done it before by sending out and email and telling people to get the upgrade. There are millions of people upgrading PCs with this process that have never done it before.

For some reason my PC has been waking up in the middle of the night and not turning itself back off. It installed some massive upgrade and even took me through a welcome process as if I had just upgraded from a previous edition of Windows. Win10 seems to really have a mind of its own. Not cool.

You can try some of the suggestions in this thread; http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1879484

Powercfg -lastwake will tell you what woke the PC.

Back