Windows 10 Update fails with error 0x80073701 - KB5003214

JoK

Weaksauce
Hi all,
Windows is giving me hard time. It's been a while it is unable to install updates. The latest message I get is when I try to install the above KB.

I've searched everywhere and can't find something that works. The error code suggests some packages are missing and the suggestions I find say to reinstall windows. This is not something I would like to do as I have a lot of apps, files and settings.

Does anyone know how to find which packages are missing and how to manually install them?

I have checked the CBS log file but it doesn't say which packages are missing.

This is the Win version I have:
BuildLab: 19041.1.amd64fre.vb_release.191206-1406
OB Build: 19042.804

Thanks

just grab the update tool* and jump to 21h1. or stop wuauserv and clear out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, reboot and try again.
edit: tool not too

Last edited:
Re-install Windows but during the setup select the "keep files and apps option."

Yeah, when this happens it can be really frustrating to fix. I've had it happen a couple times and none of the clearing the update cache and whatnot ever seems to do the trick.
Downloading the latest ISO via the update tool and installing it on top of my current Windows install is the only thing that ever works. Luckily, that's mostly painless.

Hmmm....clearing the folders does not work. The Update Assistant recognises that 21H1 can be installed but the installation fails again. Totally frustrating.

Re-install Windows but during the setup select the "keep files and apps option."
Does this work for sure? Do I need the same build to get this option? Does it appear in upgrades as well?

I have a backup of the boot drive but still scared to try it. But looks like it is the only solution.

I wonder what went wrong though.(n)

just grab the update tool* and jump to 21h1. or stop wuauserv and clear out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, reboot and try again.
edit: tool not too
Yeah, i spent the better part of a week on and off trying to solved Windows update not being able to install update. From the basic stopping of services clearing out those cache folders to developer level repairs using DISM and specifying an install.wim as a source.

It was a mess.

I just reinstalled in the end but I was determined to fix it but man, it was really broken.

Where can I find the logs of the update? Does anyone know?

Where can I find the logs of the update? Does anyone know?
As far as I've been able to tell, the logs are just what you find in Event Viewer and they tell you essentially nothing.

You are a savor. This eventually worked and 21H1 is installed now

The utility does some scary stuff in all these popup windows but it fixed the Win update module. I am going to buy it.

Thanks
The free version works just fine.

Can't you use the installation media to repair your PC? Actually, I think you cn do it from the restart troubleshooting option, if you have the recovery partition still.

Can't you use the installation media to repair your PC? Actually, I think you cn do it from the restart troubleshooting option, if you have the recovery partition still.

Yup, you still can. If you use a downloaded ISO to install Windows on top of itself, it basically does the same thing, too.

Does this work for sure? Do I need the same build to get this option? Does it appear in upgrades as well?

I have a backup of the boot drive but still scared to try it. But looks like it is the only solution.

I wonder what went wrong though.(n)
Yes, I had a problem with an update and it worked for me. You don't need the same build. Just use the newest one.

Yesterday I decided to let 21H1 install on two PCs, but it wanted to do other updates first. I ended up with 20H2 and 21H1 not being offered. So I tried the update tool and it failed. It gave no obvious reason why. So I followed this, https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-creators-update-fails-install
With just steps 1 and 2 the update tool work. It took a long time and with little insight into what is going on I was concerned I would have an even worse problem afterwards. Updates have become something to dread.

Thread necro - for the last 2 months, I've been totally unable to install "major" Windows updates. I can get the minor stuff, but any of those larger monthly updates fail every single time. That's with DISM and SFC runs (with no issues), clearing the update cache, and basically everything else under the sun people recommend. It'll start to install, get to 7%, and then restart with a rollback message every time. The only way I've been able to get 'em running has been via in-place upgrades using the Media Creation Tool. That (of course) takes about 45 minutes and involves a multi-gig download each time, though. Anyone else in a similar situation? I'm theorizing it's because I overhaul the Start Menu programs folders, but I really don't have any idea why it recently started happening.

could be the start menu mod, could be another app running in the background(a/v, mobo control). you could try the net stop method again but remove everything in the software distribution folder, not just the downloads one.

could be the start menu mod, could be another app running in the background(a/v, mobo control). you could try the net stop method again but remove everything in the software distribution folder, not just the downloads one.

I've wiped that whole folder and tried using the Windows Catalog to install the updates by hand (without WU), too. Nada. Those fail, too. My only hardware changes have been a new AV Receiver (bypassing it doesn't change anything) and BIOS updates to my mobo. Guess those could be the culprit since updates used to work fine. Theory #2 is that the stuff I delete/move around in the Start Menu now gets flagged as corrupt or missing. SFC always used to restore that stuff and make everything install fine. Maybe it doesn't cut the mustard anymore?

Back