Windows 10 Update Can Degrade Graphics, Mouse Performance in Certain Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Microsoft has alerted gamers that a recent Windows 10 update (KB4482887) can have adverse effects on some titles: “After installing KB4482887, users may notice graphics and mouse performance degradation with desktop gaming when playing certain games (eg: Destiny 2).” The company is still working on an official fix, but those who need an immediate solution may merely uninstall the update.

On March 1st, Microsoft released a brand-new update for Windows 10 that brought a number of quality improvements. However, and after various reports, Microsoft has confirmed that this latest update can degrade graphics and mouse performance in certain games (like for example Destiny 2). Microsoft has not explained/detailed the reasons behind this performance degradation. Moreover, this issue may not affect everyone therefore we strongly suggest uninstalling this update only if you are experiencing worse performance in your favorite games after applying it.

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg

Yo dawg, I herd you like Windows 10 updates, so I broke your update so you can get an update for your update.

I notice no difference in DMC5, RE2, or FFXIV with and without the update. Maybe it's only garbage like Destiny that's affected.

I think Microsoft should change the name from Windows Update to Windows Roulette. They could even charge for the experience kind of like a loot box.

If it played SadTrombone when you lose, I'd almost be okay with it.

It is well known (or at least should be) since Windows 8 the desktop environment out of the box introduces input lag, so this doesn't surprise me. You've got to love hardware accelerated user interface and various unnecessary processes running in the background. Game recording functionality I'm sure adds to the problem.

If they are messing with code related to USB input and/or the desktop window maker I can see stuff like this happening.

It's affecting other games and Oculus inputs as well; I don't know why they are simply mentioning Destiny 2.

Apex Legends, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, The Division, ARK Survival Evolved, COD4 and MW2 (I'm sure others too).

I'm seeing reports of low GPU utilization when moving the mouse, stuttering, frame drop, lag spikes, erratic input, broken network shares and crashing. Fun times.

Last edited:
It is well known (or at least should be) since Windows 8 the desktop environment out of the box introduces input lag, so this doesn't surprise me. You've got to love hardware accelerated user interface and various unnecessary processes running in the background. Game recording functionality I'm sure adds to the problem.

If they are messing with code related to USB input and/or the desktop window maker I can see stuff like this happening.

It's affecting other games and Oculus inputs as well; I don't know why they are simply mentioning Destiny 2.

Apex Legends, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, The Division, ARK Survival Evolved, COD4 and MW2 (I'm sure others too).

I'm seeing reports of low GPU utilization when moving the mouse, stuttering, frame drop, lag spikes, erratic input, broken network shares and crashing. Fun times.
Have you seen this Intelligent Standby List Cleaner

New concept for Microsoft. Test updates before sending to masses. Make sure they work. What a concept. No more Microblows.

Best plan yet. Ground hog day scenario

1. Install windows 10
2. Image windows 10
3.Update windows 10
4.Restore windows 10
1. Install windows 10
2. Image windows 10
3.Update windows 10
4.Restore windows 10
1. Install windows 10
2. Image windows 10
3.Update windows 10
4.Restore windows 10
1. Install windows 10
2. Image windows 10
3.Update windows 10
4.Restore windows 10
1. Install windows 10
2. Image windows 10
3.Update windows 10
4.Restore windows 10
1. Install windows 10
2. Image windows 10
3.Update windows 10
4.Restore windows 10
1. Install windows 10
2. Image windows 10
3.Update windows 10
4.Restore windows 10
1. Install windows 10
2. Image windows 10
3.Update windows 10
4.Restore windows 10

They are trying to do their part and clearing up some old security holes that many auto aim and other input modifying cheats use. So yeah they are directly fucking with those.

Why is this news? This has been modus operandi since windows10 came out with the same end result to users....

That isnt NEWs. Report when there is a windows update that doesn't screw something up OR improves performance

Why is this news? This has been modus operandi since windows10 came out with the same end result to users....

That isnt NEWs. Report when there is a windows update that doesn't screw something up OR improves performance
Well, notice how MS is downplaying the issue. They can break business machines all day and you will hear crickets from the public, but my games...My Games?...MAH GAMEZTH!@

fryfreakout.gif
adventure-time-finn-disgusted-spit-face.gif

And people thought Vista was bad!
Vista had a rough start, but at least it got fixed.
10 on the other hand is complete and utter shit being tracked all over your house you have to cleanup after.

Last edited:
And people thought Vista was bad!
Vista had a rough start, but at least it got fixed.
10 on the other hand is complete and utter shit being tracked all over your house you have too cleanup after.
Good News!
Windows 10 will never be fixed because it's a subscription!
All hail the death of quality control!

/edit
Before someone says "Windows 10 is not a subscription" Yes. Yes, it is. You pay for it with your personal usage data every month.

Good News!
Windows 10 will never be fixed because it's a subscription!
All hail the death of quality control!

/edit
Before someone says "Windows 10 is not a subscription" Yes. Yes, it is. You pay for it with your personal usage data every month.
The joke is on MS. I log in to Windows maybe once a month these days. They can have the data from that if they want it, I can't imagine it's worth much. Thanks MS for finally pushing me to embrace Linux.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I am still on the February update thank goodness. Although metro seems to be playing worse now than when I started it a few days ago....

I remember in the XP days updates of this level of fuckery (or worse like the recent brick W10 updates) were rare and something that would be well known and happen maybe once a year or two at most. Was part of a team running a WSUS so we were pretty suspicious of new updates and had test machines and delayed rollouts for exactly these reasons.
Now I read this shit from Windows 10: PC Cancer Edition every fucking month or two, forced updates, bricked PCs, major 'no more PC for you' faults etc combined with a lack of user control, candy crush and some other app store bullshit reinstalled every other update. That's unacceptable! The sheer amount of time I'd have to spend nailing that piece of shit down to not waste my time/become aggravated at constant micromanagement and changes every second is not worth it. My time is worth more than that! DX12 is a joke, so that can get fucked, what other reason would you possibly want to take the W10 gamble?

The people who defend W10 are like a usual mother praising a "skool studen turnin' dey lyfe aroun n' shiet, dat gud boi dindu nuffin" etc meanwhile in reality it's a fucking joke and maybe they haven't had so many issues.. yet. That list seems to shrink every day and update.
Gladly sticking with Win7 for as long as humanly possible. In fact if possible skip W10 or it can be a VM at best. It's certainly not being my daily driver, it's absolute PC cancer.

Back