Windows 10 Update annoyances

Slade

2[H]4U
Just wanted to vent about the big updates packages windows 10 does from time to time. It will install drivers for my nvidia card on its own. I have to used a modified driver set to work with a monitor I have or else it will detect it wrong. On top of that it back tracks versions, I got sent back to 388.13.

I hate how it double displays my storage drives like they are hot pluggable (reg edit delete of a key). I hate how it changes ALL of my file associations for pictures, movies, music etc.

I hate how it turns on Cortana again and breaks my color calibration on my monitors.

Double displays drives?
Not sure I've had it update my video drivers before. Definitely never had it change my file associations, those would all annoy the crap out of me.

I hate how when I open up Win Update, it says no updates found, check 3 hours ago, and just for laughs I click check for updates and it finds them. This happens a lot.

Just wanted to vent about the big updates packages windows 10 does from time to time. It will install drivers for my nvidia card on its own. I have to used a modified driver set to work with a monitor I have or else it will detect it wrong. On top of that it back tracks versions, I got sent back to 388.13.

I hate how it double displays my storage drives like they are hot pluggable (reg edit delete of a key). I hate how it changes ALL of my file associations for pictures, movies, music etc.

I hate how it turns on Cortana again and breaks my color calibration on my monitors.
Have you set windows update to not to update your drivers?

Download OOSU10. Disable "features" such as this one, one by one, or all together, as you please.

Disclaimer: that shouldn't even be necessary, but those settings are scattered around and it's a PITA to get them all where you want them using the Windows interface. I think it's a terrible design decision, so we're stuck with a workaround. And as much as people like to say "it's all fine" just because there's a setting, doesn't make it convenient or right considering they're purposefully confusing and messed up in order to make people give up and just leave everything set as default, which results in the privacy clusterfuck that's Windows 10.

Unfortunately, I think it's the way Windows 10 seems to apply the major updates (it's been like this since they've changed to the newer way of installing the OS). I find a lot of my driver settings reset and have to change them back as well. Although I haven't been "rolled back" to previous drivers.

I keep a list that I run through of settings to do after a major update. I know when a major update happens because I won't have any sound.

For some things you can use a watcher app to see what the driver's are changing in the registry (when you switch settings) and then export those settings to be updated all at once with a .reg file.

I don't know how viable this will be, but you could try going to the extreme and changing the Registry permissions on the specific areas where you have made changes, as well as the files for drivers. Remove all the Modify/Write permission for System, Trusted-Installer, etc (except for the 'Administrators' since that's you and hopefully still permits manual driver updates).

I mean it's a long shot, and it'll also potentially not thwart it in the end... But its worth a shot.

As far as disabling the drivers from being updated, M$ has done its best to keep us from disabling that option. Early days it was easy, a control panel option. In Pro, it's a Group Policy edit away, but that doesn't help Home users and so they need to use the Registry, which is where M$ is hard at work. In my searching Google, it has changed over the years on how to do it... This seems to be the most recent Registry method I've found (Aug 30th, 2018). That will allow you to easily create a .reg file that you can double-click after an update to ensure it hasn't been changed/removed.... assuming M$ hasn't once again altered this method! haha

As a person who has a metered Cellular connection due to rural living, I have my own reasons for hating the forced auto updates :( Thankfully the "This is a Metered Connection" method still manages to prevent it on my laptop. However, it's PER Network, and so when I went on vacation, connecting to the Hotel WiFi, it caused the update to download and install :cry: Wasn't my dime though, and while it did fix a couple issues, it made a few changes which I really wasn't fond of. Just how things are, so I have to accept it. My desktop I at least don't have to worry about that slip-up happening heh

Hope this helps and good luck!

Driver installs can be disabled AFAIK:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Hardware Tab -> Device Installation Settings -> No button

Driver installs can be disabled AFAIK:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Hardware Tab -> Device Installation Settings -> No button

A feature that's not available under Windows 10 Home. You'll also notice that it isn't specifically stated that it totally disables the installation of drivers as such, just manufacturer's 'apps', whatever that is.

A feature that's not available under Windows 10 Home. You'll also notice that it isn't specifically stated that it totally disables the installation of drivers as such, just manufacturer's 'apps', whatever that is.

AFAIK it will stop most driver installations, but video drivers are considered "critical" and cannot be stopped by any setting you can change.

You're right. Compared this between a W10 Pro and Home we have here at work.

Never noticed the wording was different. I just set the setting to 'NO' and carried on. Dumb MS decisions to do this if you ask me. Most people who don't know any better just have it on anyway. The people who normally turn it off know what they are doing...

Back